• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Made it to WP8 on the Distant Worlds Expedition (the first one I managed to get too when people were still there)

C5827CA0BF7DF0DCC649F6B3BE4151590E863BEC

A7FAB5A3D9F713898FA879F611ABCC98A10A26FE

hepburn3d

I was at WP8 last night. Was driving around in my SRV with someone else when we both suddenly exploded. We've both sent a ticket to support. Fingers crossed we get another.

20'000ly down. 40'000 to go.

Person

I've just bought the game, and I've never played a game like that so I hope I'll "get" it. So, does the Horizon extension scratch the Mass Effect 1 itch of wanting to explore completely empty and barren planets ? I'll have to wait another sale for this but it's what excites me the most actually.

There's honestly not much to do in Horizons (yet), especially not for it's asking price.

There are going to be content updates, but you'll probably get a better deal if you wait for a sale.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Made it to WP8 on the Distant Worlds Expedition (the first one I managed to get too when people were still there)

I was at WP8 last night. Was driving around in my SRV with someone else when we both suddenly exploded. We've both sent a ticket to support. Fingers crossed we get another.

20'000ly down. 40'000 to go.

No kidding, you both were at WP8? I left there yesterday afternoon. I actually got there Wednesday night. Last night I made it to WP9, the Wysteria Nebula. That's where I'll sit until next week because I'm leaving for a 3 day Valentine's weekend. Damn love getting in the way of space exploration.....

hepburn3d

No kidding, you both were at WP8? I left there yesterday afternoon. I actually got there Wednesday night. Last night I made it to WP9, the Wysteria Nebula. That's where I'll sit until next week because I'm leaving for a 3 day Valentine's weekend. Damn love getting in the way of space exploration.....

Haha love, the final frontier. Have a great one. I'll be spending some time tonight heading to WP9. Wasn't sure where it was till now

I think by saying "Hello" to another commander (CMDR Blackneto was the ingame name), I distracted him enough that just after he typed "Hi!" back to me he flew into a black hole and I didn't seem him come back out.

I have it on video too...

It was just outside of DW WP9 too... long way from home.

hepburn3d

Cool. I messaged frontier about the SRV explosion bug. They offered to super hyperspace me to sol to get a replacement. I like frontier :)

Person

I think by saying "Hello" to another commander (CMDR Blackneto was the ingame name), I distracted him enough that just after he typed "Hi!" back to me he flew into a black hole and I didn't seem him come back out.

I have it on video too...

It was just outside of DW WP9 too... long way from home.

probably just dropped from SC

DrBo42

Those large and huge multicannons looks awesome.

yGKWLbj.jpg

iw3dHDD.jpg

Might be finally time to buy an FDL.

Edit: Picked one up and threw an A4 PA on it. Pretty fun manueverable ship. Coming from an Anaconda it's a big change but the TTK is way slower. I just don't know why anyone would fly something else when you have a decked out Anaconda. From an Anaconda it seems like the only place to go is a sideways move to the Corvette. Wish there was a reason to fly the manueverable ships. Talking about PvE specifically.

I recently upgraded my trusty (but fragile) Eagle for a Viper MKIII and I don't know...the Viper is slow as a snail....maybe I have to pick up the viper MKIV instead.

When I'm dogfighting the Viper takes ages to loop around a ship.

DrBo42

I recently upgraded my trusty (but fragile) Eagle for a Viper MKIII and I don't know...the Viper is slow as a snail....maybe I have to pick up the viper MKIV instead.

If you think a Viper MK III is slow you're in for disappointment with the MKIV and most other ships honestly. Viper is faster than an Eagle, by far. It's the pitch speed that's different. Way better hardpoints though. It's more of a strafing ship but still has the maneuverability and speed to hang back behind big ships in their blind spot.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Pomerlaw

Upgrade it first. Use lateral trusters, they are pretty good on that ship.

Pomerlaw

Would you recommend upgrading the Viper for a Diamondback Scout?

I have both, I mainly use the DBS these days because it has a really good FSD range. I use it as a long range fighter.

But I prefer my old Viper MK3. The shields are much stronger, all although it is a bit slower and less agile, I feel I can control it more precisely because of the better lateral trusters.

Might be finally time to buy an FDL.

Edit: Picked one up and threw an A4 PA on it. Pretty fun manueverable ship. Coming from an Anaconda it's a big change but the TTK is way slower. I just don't know why anyone would fly something else when you have a decked out Anaconda. From an Anaconda it seems like the only place to go is a sideways move to the Corvette. Wish there was a reason to fly the manueverable ships. Talking about PvE specifically.

For fun. That's the only reason, because it certainly isn't for efficiency. That being said, "for fun" is what the game becomes once you reach maxed out end game everything like I have or if you can avoid being compelled to chase the next ship. I'd rather spend an hour in a CZ in an Imperial Courier than an hour in a RES with an autowin Anaconda. But that's only because I'm in a financial position to be of such an opinion and am able to separate myself from the grind because I have nothing else to grind for. I envy those who avoided this rat race entirely because pushing to always get the next ship then the next ship is what frustrates and burns people out. But it's also FDev's fault for not making these ships have more distinct roles such that few ships are actually "upgrades". Instead, the game in PvE is set up such that the bigger the weapons and more you can tank, the more money you can make. That means grinding to the next ship invariably increases your income potential. Bigger really does mean better. And that's a big failure in this game. Bigger should mean different experience, not better, easier experience.

Smaller ships are also infinitely better for interdicting. Also, if they fix PvE so that NPC ships are more likely to try to run if they're getting their asses kicked, big ships are fucked since only the Cutter can give chase to anything that can boost past 300.

Would you recommend upgrading the Viper for a Diamondback Scout?

You can always give it a try and if you don't like it you can move onto something else. Regardless, you're just place-holding until you can afford a Vulture at which point the game opens up significantly.

Pomerlaw

NVIDIA users - How to improve in-game colours

I have just discovered something which improves the colours in Elite and all games.

I'm probably late to the party as usual and all you nvidia users already know this but...

..apparently, by default nvidia drivers output a limited RGB range from 16 to 235 which gives a washed-out effect.

To resolve this issue go to the nvida control panel and select Change Resolution.

In the bottom right is the option Output dynamic range - in the drop down menu select FULL and voila! - deeper blacks and more vivid, rich colours bringing new life to my TN monitor

I hope you find this helpful

As Fluffa points out below, this only applies to HDMI

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232207

Holy shit, you guys have been playing your games on limited rgb instead of full?

Limited is for televisions and as far as I can tell is NOT the default setting. I can't imagine it would have been, but damn...it's been fucking over all of your games if you had this set to Limited, not just ED.

I guess this should also be said: do the same for any consoles you have if they are attached to your monitor. All consoles from last gen and this gen have an RGB range setting that can be set. .

DrBo42

For fun. That's the only reason, because it certainly isn't for efficiency. That being said, "for fun" is what the game becomes once you reach maxed out end game everything like I have or if you can avoid being compelled to chase the next ship. I'd rather spend an hour in a CZ in an Imperial Courier than an hour in a RES with an autowin Anaconda. But that's only because I'm in a financial position to be of such an opinion and am able to separate myself from the grind because I have nothing else to grind for. I envy those who avoided this rat race entirely because pushing to always get the next ship then the next ship is what frustrates and burns people out. But it's also FDev's fault for not making these ships have more distinct roles such that few ships are actually "upgrades". Instead, the game in PvE is set up such that the bigger the weapons and more you can tank, the more money you can make. That means grinding to the next ship invariably increases your income potential. Bigger really does mean better. And that's a big failure in this game. Bigger should mean different experience, not better, easier experience.

Smaller ships are also infinitely better for interdicting. Also, if they fix PvE so that NPC ships are more likely to try to run if they're getting their asses kicked, big ships are fucked since only the Cutter can give chase to anything that can boost past 300.

You can always give it a try and if you don't like it you can move onto something else. Regardless, you're just place-holding until you can afford a Vulture at which point the game opens up significantly.

Yeah it's a big problem. Flying a fighter craft should be just as worth it as flying a cruiser type vessel, just a different experience. Not sure Elite will ever get there...or even intends to get there. I really enjoy flying in this game but every time I log back in I realize there's nothing here for me right now. Nothing really to do with my ships besides make MORE money and I already have plenty.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
After grinding out a hundred million or so with my RES bonus I spent it all on reliving the glory of my Imperial Clipper days. I still have my FDL and it's still a cool ship,I still need to upgrade the hull armor, but aside from that it's kitted out how I want. I did put military armor on the Clipper, it's mostly kitted out how I want though I am on B7 shields because the A7 is not exactly cheap. I have a 2A interdictor on it so I can grind out those merits in slightly less insanity inducing fashion.

Instead of trying to make enough for a battleconda and selling off my ships I think I am going to slow down a bit, max out ships I like and keep them. Rushing for the endgame ships makes the game worse. I'll probably spend a few more weeks maintaining the bounty bonus and salary then finally go on a cross galaxy exploring mission.

Kiyoshi

There have to be a lot of people who don't know about it. I don't understand Nvidia still sets that to limited by default.

FULL is my default. I didn't even know of this setting until now, but I've just taken a look. It's set to full already, and even if I click 'restore defaults' it's still set to full.

Jedi2016

I'm running DisplayPort, FWIW, and it's set to Full by default.

Still doesn't change the fact that the game needs some adjustments to its color depth.. way too much banding.

Pomerlaw

I'm running DisplayPort, FWIW, and it's set to Full by default.

Still doesn't change the fact that the game needs some adjustments to its color depth.. way too much banding.

I use my computer screen and a projector. So one or the other depending on the occasion. And in my configuration, my projector (which is HDMI connected) was limited. It wasn't full by default in my config...

If the card detects that your display is an HDTV, it will automatically set it to limited if it detects a monitor it sets it to full. At one point, the setting was not exposed to the user at all.

LeBart

Aaaaaand the first steam review is negative...
They brought this on themselves with how they handled the Horizons launch, but it's still a bummer. This game does not deserve so many bad reviews.

Anyway, I hope this move means they plan to add a lot more to CQC. It's a really fun mode but it needs more love. Especially now that it's standalone.

Burny

They rebranded CQC as Arena and selling it stand alone for $7.50 for people that don't already own the full game. That is actually a really good idea. I hope it works to up the play population. Ha I haven't even tried CQC yet, but I've always wanted to.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/443080/
https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-arena.html/

Dafuq?!

Not that I don't think it's not a good idea. If they expand "Elite Dangerous: Arena", it might actually be a great one. And a good entry drug for the main game.

I must honestly say, that I'd prefer if they went free to play with Arena Commander though (and no, I don't even feel like an ass asking for it :p Edit: Suggesting it?). ;p Match based "arena" games seem to work extremely well with that model and additional monetization. See War Thunder, World of Tanks, all the Mobas. I'm not sure if a far less developed game than those behemoths will garner much attention, even if it's just below a "tenner" entry fee. That's more than "0", which is the perceived entry fee and amount spend by many players on the competition.

Mengy

They rebranded CQC as Arena and selling it stand alone for $7.50 for people that don't already own the full game. That is actually a really good idea. I hope it works to up the play population. Ha I haven't even tried CQC yet, but I've always wanted to.

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/games/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-arena.html/

That's an interesting but odd decision. I honestly haven't touched CQC since the first week or two it came out. Sure it's kinda neat but it's not what I play Elite for. If I want some combat I'll go to a RES and earn some in game credits for it, I could care less about "arena rating" and such.

Reishiki

Banned
I'm having trouble with E:D. I log in, take one look at my current balance (400k) and the ships I want to fly, then log straight out again because the climb up there seems far too steep.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Hylian7

I guess they want to try to ease people in that were on the fence about the game.

You still get it if you were to buy the full game today, right?

I'm having trouble with E:D. I log in, take one look at my current balance (400k) and the ships I want to fly, then log straight out again because the climb up there seems far too steep.

What's your current ship, and which of the 3 categories are you looking to do: combat, trade, or exploration?

Pomerlaw

It's not about the goal, it is about the road to get there.

You won't have more fun in bigger ships. Actually the smaller ships are for me much more enjoyable.

hepburn3d

Don't play to get a ship. Play to fly any ship. Buying a ship needs to be an afterthought. Otherwise you will struggle to enjoy this game.

Played this a while back before Horizons, and just picked up Horizons and started playing again. Seems like there's a lot of new stuff going on, but I'm still struggling to pick it all up. I did some combat to earn enough for a MKIII and guns, countermeasures and planetary landing equipment. Been having fun, but feel like I need to set some goals for myself.

What do you all recommend as goals to set? I enjoy combat, and I also enjoy exploration/trading, but I'm just not 100% good at any of them yet…

Tips appreciated!

Hylian7

Played this a while back before Horizons, and just picked up Horizons and started playing again. Seems like there's a lot of new stuff going on, but I'm still struggling to pick it all up. I did some combat to earn enough for a MKIII and guns, countermeasures and planetary landing equipment. Been having fun, but feel like I need to set some goals for myself.

What do you all recommend as goals to set? I enjoy combat, and I also enjoy exploration/trading, but I'm just not 100% good at any of them yet…

Tips appreciated!
Basically you should pick a ship you want that can do what you are doing now (or want to do) better.

For instance, my goal for a while was an outfitted Fer-De-Lance while I was in a Vulture. I'm there now, and it's basically one of the best combat ships in the game.

Wreav

Banned

Mengy

Launch the game from the Elite Dangerous entry. Horizons is included there now.

Okay, that worked. Whew. Gave me a goddamn heartattack. Why does the Horizons entry still exist then?

Huh, yeah mine is the same. I never launch it from Steam anymore but instead directly from the directory. Guess I'll reinstall the base Elite Dangerous and uninstall the "old" Horizons directory now.

Top Bottom