• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Whoops. Wrong thread.

As for Elite, I loved the first 2 hours I played, but kind of feel afraid of starting for real without reading the 200+ page manual or watching an hour long video.

Person

Whoops. Wrong thread.

As for Elite, I loved the first 2 hours I played, but kind of feel afraid of starting for real without reading the 200+ page manual or watching an hour long video.

as long as you done all the tutorials except for incursion, part of the fun is learning how to start doing stuff on your own, like finding trade routes or looking for good resource extraction sites, sometimes it's great just to be thrown into the deep end

it's like driving a car for the first time on your own

emptyroom

Neo Member
Whoops. Wrong thread.

Feeling overwhelmed is all part of the experience :)

I was on the frontier forums daily asking questions when I started out (didn't have a gaf account)

We're here for you, we'll get you through this!

Wreav

Banned
100+ commanders...incredible.

m5di8WP.png

as long as you done all the tutorials except for incursion, part of the fun is learning how to start doing stuff on your own, like finding trade routes or looking for good resource extraction sites, sometimes it's great just to be thrown into the deep end

it's like driving a car for the first time on your own

Very true. Once you get past the learning curve you can pretty much choose a play style that's catered to you.

hepburn3d

100+ commanders...incredible.

I was one of those. The White asp on the left below the other White asp. It was pretty cool until about 101 when suddenly everyone started getting purged. It eventually went down to about 50. The terrifying thing was ships dropping in. Some would drop in inches from another ship. We're lucky no one got damaged.

My frame rate was fine to. Though some went from 100fps down to 10-15

Person

I need to give this a shot.

I think KBM might actually be the best for combat and such because of the accuracy, even better than a HOTAS if you want to maximise your efficiency

Many PvPers have played and continue to play this way for good reason, but I will personally have a hard time using anything other than a HOTAS, as the experience is simply more immersive (as much as I hate using that word), much in the same way as using a wheel for racing sims

derFeef

I'd love to use a hotas, my X52 broke after 4 hours of usage though and I do not play many sims (yet?)

I tried to give the Steam Controller a shot, but I always have some issues with it. That video actually makes me want to try that "FPS style" controls. I don't think I will use thrust as the guy did in the video though.

FiraB

Banned
Man I really wish I had just recorded what just happened.

Took a poorly decked out Viper up against a imperial clipper and damn near won, 8k fixed weapons vs a guy that had what was a fully decked clipper that my wingmen smashed after he managed to get the better placement on me.

Still the guy took a full ten seconds to wreck my little dude but god it was funny, 20 minute dogfight for reference.

I need to give this a shot.

I haven't played in a little while but I did rather well in CQC with KB&M. He doesn't use it, but I found relative mouse helped out a ton for FA-off combat. I can zip around with FA-off and still hit targets, which is awesome awesome awesome for pvp. I also prefer to keep roll on the mouse--it's not as fine a control of yaw as you might like, but keyboard yaw is good enough for the light gimbal you get on fixed weapons.

I like the idea of using W and S as thrust instead of throttle control, though, because if you use them for throttle there's this really, really shitty deadspot in the middle where you have to press the button again to move past 0 throttle.

Burny

He doesn't use it, but I found relative mouse helped out a ton for FA-off combat.
Care to elaborate? Sounds like an option that escaped me, but one that I should try! Not that I'd be less hopeless at FA off.

I like the idea of using W and S as thrust instead of throttle control, though, because if you use them for throttle there's this really, really shitty deadspot in the middle where you have to press the button again to move past 0 throttle.

I think my mouse/keyboard mapping is damn near ideal for me personally where all things combat are concerned, but I'm using a slightly different setup than him. Modifier keys for something you want to use constantly (energy distribution in his case) I think are a no-go, which is why I put the power distribution on the 1-4 keys. 4 being used to balance the distribution.

Throttle is on my mouse wheel and I pretty much wouldn't have it anywhere else for FA on. Haven't tried the constant pushing for throttle, but the "W" and "S" keys are occupied by vertical thrust while "Q" and "E" are lateral thrust. Aiming is just like his: yaw on mouse-x. Rolling on mouse-x is a terrible waste for the one thing about your ship control that needs the least precision in the game. Not to mention that I found it ridiculously unintuitive. If I were to switch to FA-off, I'd had to rethink the throttle, because the mouse wheel is useless there. But manual forward and backward thrust is on "W"/"S" with "Ctrl" as modifier. I'm already thinking about trying my Frankenstein setup I originally intended for Star Citizen in Arena: Ch Products Pro Throttle, pedals and mouse. The mini stick on the throttle would give me full lateral/vertical thrust control, while I could use the pedals for rolling and the toe breaks for forward/backward thrust in FA-off.

Anyway, I can really recommend CQC or "Arena" for whenever one is frustrated by the main game's unfinished state. It's basic but damn fun. ^^ Did two quick rounds yesterday evening and clobbered some newbs who seemingly were still learning how to work their ships. I even won one, while the second had players who didn't play Elite for the first time. :p

I'm thinking Frontier should adapt the default Keyboard Layout for Elite. With power distribution on the direction keys and roll on mouse-x, it's really poor.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
oo man, I really shouldn't get any of them. I always regret buying paint jobs.

I have only bought one paint job for my Asp but I'm glad I did it, I just couldn't stand looking at the default paint any longer.

thinking of getting a CH Combatstick, anyone else have experience with one of these??

Yep, I own a full CH setup, stick, pedals, and throttle. It's fantastic and I should have bought it years ago. You don't realize how junky the Saitek stuff is until you compare them side by side to a CH stick. The Combatstick is durable, solid, and has sturdy yet responsive hats and buttons. I love the tactile feel of all of the controls, makes hands on eyes off flying really easy.

Person

Very true. Once you get past the learning curve you can pretty much choose a play style that's catered to you.

Well, I don't think you can get -past- the curve, I mean the game stops being fun for some people once you run out of new things to learn, that or the rest of the things in the game don't interest you

I mean I don't exactly have anything else to shoot for, I just fly around with my friends for fun not really looking to make money, but just to play with them.

emptyroom

Neo Member
Yep, I own a full CH setup, stick, pedals, and throttle. It's fantastic and I should have bought it years ago. You don't realize how junky the Saitek stuff is until you compare them side by side to a CH stick. The Combatstick is durable, solid, and has sturdy yet responsive hats and buttons. I love the tactile feel of all of the controls, makes hands on eyes off flying really easy.

That's good to hear, the Saitek stuff (X52 in particular) is certainly more aesthetically pleasing but I keep reading that the CH stuff is built incredibly well and lasts forever.

derFeef

Ouff, it's like I got the controls down but everything else is still a mystery to me.
Where do I need to jump? Is this a planet? Where can I find the target? Aha - In "SPACE" Okay that's going to be easy... (almost out of fuel soon) lol.

emptyroom

Neo Member
Ouff, it's like I got the controls down but everything else is still a mystery to me.
Where do I need to jump? Is this a planet? Where can I find the target? Aha - In "SPACE" Okay that's going to be easy... (almost out of fuel soon) lol.

ha! generally speaking, you will be looking for a target in a specified system. Go to that system and drop into unidentified signal sources until you find the target,

sometimes in your left panel you can also see that your target left a fsd wake in which case you navigate and drop into that as well.

ha! generally speaking, you will be looking for a target in a specified system. Go to that system and drop into unidentified signal sources until you find the target,

sometimes in your left panel you can also see that your target left a fsd wake in which case you navigate and drop into that as well.

Also always install a fuel scoop on your ship. This will save your ass when needed.

derFeef

Will do that next time, thanks :)
I accidently dropped my cargo... and it's gone? Can't I pick it up again?
Noob questions :D

derFeef

Shouldn't be, it'll show on the scanner as a white mark, it should hang around for about 5 minutes.

I saw them drifting away on the rader but they were gone in like 5 seconds. I thought I am doing something wrong with the scanning range, but seems like that was some kind of error.

FiraB

Banned
I saw them drifting away on the rader but they were gone in like 5 seconds. I thought I am doing something wrong with the scanning range, but seems like that was some kind of error.
It does happen sadly, you will come across glitches that leave you utterly confused, like certain ships randomly exploding.

That's good to hear, the Saitek stuff (X52 in particular) is certainly more aesthetically pleasing but I keep reading that the CH stuff is built incredibly well and lasts forever.

You can immediately feel when using both that, while the Saitek sticks have a more modern look and have tons of functionality, the materials they use compared to the CH Products gear is not even close when it comes to durability. With my X55 I could feel, if I decided to squeeze very hard with just one hand, I could probably break the stick with my own grip. With the CH Product fighter stick, I couldn't even get the plastic to compress if I squeezed between both hands. The moving parts on the CH stick are large joints made from the same hard material. The X55 has smaller more intricate joints, made from less durable materials. I like the X55 when it's functioning but after 2 RMAs, I've made the switch to a full CH set.

derFeef

This game is so overwhelming, but it is fun to learn new things. Sometimes it leaves me with a questioning face . Like I have to go to an orbital (station I think?). But when I try to supercruise it does not let me, yet it's too far away for normal travel.
I cleared my save twice already because I did not feel I got the right start and I am junk in space now - but I guess it does not matter really as you can always do what you want.

I want to play that game 12 hours a day.

Burny

Enjoy it while it lasts! ^^ The game is at it's best while you still learn things. After you move beyond that phase, it's up to you what you make of it.

General advice for starting players:

- Don't bother with missions. Really, don't!
- Go to a nav beacon in your system or RES and help authorities to shoot down wanted ships. Turn in the bounties for all the starting profits you might whish for.
- Get out of your Sidewinder asap!

Edit: I hope that I can stop advising people to ignore missions initially after 2.1 arrives. Unless they increase the payout significantly however or make faction reputations much more important, just being given the missions by NPCs still might not make them a viable path for starting players.

Hylian7

This game is so overwhelming, but it is fun to learn new things. Sometimes it leaves me with a questioning face . Like I have to go to an orbital (station I think?). But when I try to supercruise it does not let me, yet it's too far away for normal travel.
I cleared my save twice already because I did not feel I got the right start and I am junk in space now - but I guess it does not matter really as you can always do what you want.

Is your landing gear, hardpoints, or cargo scoop deployed? Are you Mass Locked (look in the lower right corner for this)? These things will prevent you from going into supercruise. Retract the device that's deployed, and get away from whatever is mass locking you. Usually it's a station, but it could also be a big ship, or combination of ships.

derFeef

Enjoy it while it lasts! ^^ The game is at it's best while you still learn things. After you move beyond that phase, it's up to you what you make of it.

- Go to a nav beacon in your system or RES and help authorities to shoot down wanted ships. Turn in the bounties for all the starting profits you might whish for.

Heh, thanks. Will do that, I want do to exploration I guess, which should bring me some credits as well, as far as I read.

Is your landing gear, hardpoints, or cargo scoop deployed? Are you Mass Locked (look in the lower right corner for this)? These things will prevent you from going into supercruise. Retract the device that's deployed, and get away from whatever is mass locking you. Usually it's a station, but it could also be a big ship, or combination of ships.

Checked all of that but now I remember, it said I am too close, but I was still far away (can't remember the distance).

Heh, thanks. Will do that, I want do to exploration I guess, which should bring me some credits as well, as far as I read.

Checked all of that but now I remember, it said I am too close, but I was still far away (can't remember the distance).

Yeah, he is saying that there was probably another object or body near your ship (not your destination) which was preventing you from going into supercruise. You probably just needed to fly out for a bit longer so that you were no longer in the gravity well.

That said, I did have a couple of occasions where a bug like that showed up. It had me mass-locked even though I was nowhere near the planet in question. A quick re-log fixed it immediately in those cases.

smudge

So I started playing Elite again at the weekend. I haven't picked up Horizons just yet, but I do plan to. I do have a question though about landing on planets.
Are there stations on the planets you can land on, that show in the navigation panel, just like the orbital stations? So i can land at these and trade commodities, pick up missions etc ?

Effect

So I started playing Elite again at the weekend. I haven't picked up Horizons just yet, but I do plan to. I do have a question though about landing on planets.
Are there stations on the planets you can land on, that show in the navigation panel, just like the orbital stations? So i can land at these and trade commodities, pick up missions etc ?

Yes there are. Now not all locations will let you land (these you will have to land outside of the station/base) and ground stations are of difference sizes like stations in space and outpost. Some locations are purely mission based or just there. Some will let you get nearby and others I believe have restrictions that if you cross into them or their air space you'll be fined or eventually attacked. You'll be able to tell though which stations/bases you can land at though and which ones you can't land in.

emptyroom

Neo Member

Edit: I hope that I can stop advising people to ignore missions initially after 2.1 arrives. Unless they increase the payout significantly however or make faction reputations much more important, just being given the missions by NPCs still might not make them a viable path die starting players.

It's how I got started. Kept doing cargo runs from bulletin boards till I could get some decent smuggling missions that pay 150,000 credits. Saved up to get a viper, decent power plant and some gimballed beam lasers then started fighting.

You can fight from the beginning but you will be hiding behind federal ships.

Burny

You can fight from the beginning but you will be hiding behind federal ships.

Until you can get a Viper, which will be much quicker that way than by hoping the mission board will generate missions your Sidewinder without everything can actually reasonably tackle... A single low profile kill you steal from the authorities pays up to 8k credits.

derFeef

The missions you get from the starting port in Horizons are all kinda... hard? And almost all of them is risking you a wanted status.
Mission descriptions could be much better, jeeze it's hard to figure out what to do sometimes.

emptyroom

Neo Member
Until you can get a Viper, which will be much quicker that way than by hoping the mission board will generate missions your Sidewinder without everything can actually reasonably tackle... A single low profile kill you steal from the authorities pays up to 8k credits.

Your right. We should add that the kill warrant scanner is a must if you're bounty hunting. Essentially you'll use it to scan every ship before you take it down and if that pilot has a bounty in another system you can go there and claim those credits. Basically, more money per kill.

Hylian7

So I know "lol Saitek", but I can't afford to get a new stick right now, so I'm stuck with my x52.

My twist rudder is suddnely super loose. Any way to fix this?

Burny

So I know "lol Saitek", but I can't afford to get a new stick right now, so I'm stuck with my x52.

My twist rudder is suddnely super loose. Any way to fix this?

Sucks... Have you disassembled the stick and looked into it? There must be some way, although I'd recommend getting comfortable with mouse+keyboard until you can get a proper HOTAS.

Hylian7

Sucks... Have you disassembled the stick and looked into it? There must be some way, although I'd recommend getting comfortable with mouse+keyboard until you can get a proper HOTAS.

I did some research, then disassembled and looked at it. Basically, there's a busted spring that caused this and I can either replace it myself (which is a pain in the ass) or warranty it. The latter is the better option, so I put in a support ticket.

For now I can just disable the twist axis on it and use keyboard arrow keys or something for it.

Person

You can, but I wouldn't recommend Horizons yet, although there are several big content patches that are going to be out for it soon. If you do though, be wary that it's actually more like a season pass than access to complete content, but there will be a lot more content. Another 3-4 updates before the next season of content, I believe.

Burny

Target Location "Space"

Where am I supposed to look?

Space! *herp derp*

:p

Ok, Go to the target system, throttle down completely in super cruise and fly in a straight line.

Missions targets are currently randomly generated around you, similar to random encounters in JRPGs.

And then don't ever attempt to du such a mission again until 2.1 hits. By which time mission will take place at specific Locations that you can search for instead of randomly generating insults to both your intelligence and time you could otherwise spend on more profitable ventures. ;)

Reckheim

Space! *herp derp*

:p

Ok, Go to the target system, throttle down completely in super cruise and fly in a straight line.

Missions targets are currently randomly generated around you, similar to random encounters in JRPGs.

And then don't ever attempt to du such a mission again until 2.1 hits. By which time mission will take place at specific Locations that you can search for instead of randomly generating insults to both your intelligence and time you could otherwise spend on more profitable ventures. ;)

So sad, yet so true. I honestly can't believe Frontier took so long to even attempt to fix the mission structure of the game.

Jedi2016

So, just found a rescue mission and it says : Target Location "Space"

Where am I supposed to look?
For future reference, that "location" is only there to differentiate between space-based missions and planet-based ones, it's not really supposed to be an indicator of "where to look".

Top Bottom