• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

EGM1966

Braben tweeted that Saitek dropped this off at their office:

AudiWro.jpg

ED-themed HOTAS?

lovely

Hylian7

As good as that HOTAS looks....it's still Saitek, which makes me anxious.

I want something that has good build quality (like CH or something), but also has Yaw in the stick. Is that too much to ask?

Hylian7

Has anyone been to a location recently that had FDL bulkheads in stock? I spent most of yesterday going across the whole bubble looking for it. I used EDDB and all the places (even ones that were just reported within an hour before I got there) did not have it. I hit like 20+ places looking.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I guarantee that HOTAS is garbage under the hood.

It looks awesome, but I've owned Saitek in the past so I know that the quality of it will be less than impressive. I'm super happy with my full CH setup and I don't see myself changing for many years, because at least this CH HOTAS will last for many years!

Cimarron

If anyone from Frontier is reading this please make walking around your cockpit/bridge and space stations using using room tracking via the Vive a thing. Pretty please! 😁

Zaptruder

Banned
If anyone from Frontier is reading this please make walking around your cockpit/bridge and space stations using using room tracking via the Vive a thing. Pretty please! 😁

You can absolutely stand up and look around the bridge... they won't be restricting your head movements.

It's just they don't support it explicitly by having your body move around with you or anything like that, and they don't have interaction beyond your standard KB/M...

So no standing up and pressing buttons to open doors.

That kinda stuff (ship movement and exploration) will be coming in a later expansion.

hepburn3d

Has anyone been to a location recently that had FDL bulkheads in stock? I spent most of yesterday going across the whole bubble looking for it. I used EDDB and all the places (even ones that were just reported within an hour before I got there) did not have it. I hit like 20+ places looking.

Have you tried filtering to high tech systems only. They seem to be the best places to look

Hylian7

Have you tried filtering to high tech systems only. They seem to be the best places to look

Doesn't matter, they're always out of stock. I tried again on one of those ED DB sites and got lucky and found one finally. It's so stupid hard to find though.

Eurogamer: Griefers or saviours? The Elite Dangerous players causing a rift in space

A surprisingly awesome article.

Doesn't matter, they're always out of stock. I tried again on one of those ED DB sites and got lucky and found one finally. It's so stupid hard to find though.

did you check Ix (or is it Xi)? They almost always have stuff like that.

Incidentally, any station that sells a ship also sells its bulkhead upgrades so you can just filter by systems that have the FdL in stock and they will by extension have its bulkheads.

hepburn3d

mXeT9Ac.jpg

77 days. Never done an event that's lasted so long in a game. Has been and amazing social event. Frontier need to incorporate events like this somehow. It would be an amazing gaming element.

Now for a few weeks of celebrations.

Jedi2016

Oh, man, just tried it in the Rift for the first time in a while. Word of warning: If you're one of those people prone to motion sickness, the Asp is a mistake.. lol. Normally the cockpit does a good job of grounding you, but the Asp is so wide open that it doesn't really help that much.

5wFMCVd.gif

Might have better luck with my other ships when I get back to the bubble, but who knows when the hell that will be.

But man, planetary landings are sooo good.

Frankly, I have no idea how my system is handing it as well as it is.. I didn't turn down any settings from my normal gameplay (maxxed out), and it ran smooth as silk. And even on the planet's surface, it didn't really get that bad. This is on a GTX-680. Not sure what resolution it was trying to run it at, though. It looked a bit rough, but a lot of stuff does on a DK2.. the in-game resolution appeared to be what the desktop mirror was displaying, and even when I increase it, it still rendered pretty jaggy. I wonder if the game automatically drops to playable VR settings based on your spec?

But at any rate, it was damn cool.

Hylian7

Oh, man, just tried it in the Rift for the first time in a while. Word of warning: If you're one of those people prone to motion sickness, the Asp is a mistake.. lol. Normally the cockpit does a good job of grounding you, but the Asp is so wide open that it doesn't really help that much.

5wFMCVd.gif

Might have better luck with my other ships when I get back to the bubble, but who knows when the hell that will be.

Frankly, I have no idea how my system is handing it as well as it is.. I didn't turn down any settings from my normal gameplay (maxxed out), and it ran smooth as silk. And even on the planet's surface, it didn't really get that bad. This is on a GTX-680. Not sure what resolution it was trying to run it at, though. It looked a bit rough, but a lot of stuff does on a DK2.. the in-game resolution appeared to be what the desktop mirror was displaying, and even when I increase it, it still rendered pretty jaggy. I wonder if the game automatically drops to playable VR settings based on your spec?

I got to play Elite on an Oculus about a year ago at PAX South. That singlehandedly sold me on VR and Elite. Goddamn it was incredible.

Zaptruder

Banned

5wFMCVd.gif

It wasn't. It was the asynchronous time warp saving your butt repeatedly. :p Cockpit games are probably the best use case for ATW.

Hylian7

I think I'm going to accomplish the grind this week or next (probably next at this rate) to Elite in combat.

At the time of the post, I'm Deadly 13%, probably close to 14%. Two days ago I was 6%, and this was over a few hours total over those days.

I researched a bit on getting there, and the best way is obviously High Intensity Conflict Zones. There is something to keep in mind though: You get no "points" for anything below Dangerous rank. This means you only want to go after Dangerous, Deadly, and Elite. Obviously the higher ranks of those give you more "points". There are sometimes though that there a lot of ships all below Dangerous. When this happens, take out a ship or two so more have room to spawn (go for Eagle, Imperial Eagle, or the tiny fighter ships you can only play on Arena). I think I can probably reach it next week.

I think I'm going to accomplish the grind this week or next (probably next at this rate) to Elite in combat.

At the time of the post, I'm Deadly 13%, probably close to 14%. Two days ago I was 6%, and this was over a few hours total over those days.

I researched a bit on getting there, and the best way is obviously High Intensity Conflict Zones. There is something to keep in mind though: You get no "points" for anything below Dangerous rank. This means you only want to go after Dangerous, Deadly, and Elite. Obviously the higher ranks of those give you more "points". There are sometimes though that there a lot of ships all below Dangerous. When this happens, take out a ship or two so more have room to spawn (go for Eagle, Imperial Eagle, or the tiny fighter ships you can only play on Arena). I think I can probably reach it next week.

I've been really very slowly working through deadly over many weeks. I haven't been focusing on combat, I'm at 44%. The thought of going from 14 - 100% that quickly seems like a nose to the grindstone situation.

Reckheim

5wFMCVd.gif

Damn, I kind of gave up on VR cause of my GTX970 but if what you say is true then I might just jump in.

Mengy

Man this was fun today, flying in formation over Beagle Point with a whole bunch of commanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5EaA1sIm_A

We sure have regularly stressed the game's servers though on this trip, and tonight was no exception. When you put more pilots into an instance than FDev "suggests" you really do start to have strange things happen, LOL.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Just a quick question.

For someone completely new that wants to mostly focus on singleplayer activities or PVE sometimes..at this point in time should i start with just the basegame? Is that all i need till i get some experience with the game.
Or is starting with the Horizons addon just that much better of an experience overall that its recommended to start with both if you can?

Just a quick question.

For someone completely new that wants to mostly focus on singleplayer activities or PVE sometimes..at this point in time should i start with just the basegame? Is that all i need till i get some experience with the game.
Or is starting with the Horizons addon just that much better of an experience overall that its recommended to start with both if you can?

Horizon's big addition to the base game right now is planetary landings but there are more updates coming including a new crafting/looting system and multi-crew vessels that are Horizon exclusive. However, in general Elite is not for everyone so just buying the base game, getting a feel and deciding if you want more is probably your best bet.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Horizon's big addition to the base game right now is planetary landings but there are more updates coming including a new crafting/looting system and multi-crew vessels that are Horizon exclusive.

I guess I was wondering would any of that (platentary landings for now i guess)be really important to a player starting out or would you recommend waiting abit?

Mengy

I guess I was wondering would any of that (platentary landings for now i guess)be really important to a player starting out or would you recommend waiting abit?

Honestly I'd buy Horizons right from the start. If you buy the base game and then want to buy Horizons it will cost you more overall than simply buying Horizons from the get go, and planetary landings adds a lot of depth and sweet stuff to the game.

Just my $0.02.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Honestly I'd buy Horizons right from the start. If you buy the base game and then want to buy Horizons it will cost you more overall than simply buying Horizons from the get go, and planetary landings adds a lot of depth and sweet stuff to the game.

Just my $0.02.

appreciate the feed back I ended up just investing in the base game for now.
I'll see how things evolve :)

derFeef

Just my $0.02.

Plus the planet landings add some diversity at least.

la_briola

Disregarding the color, this looks identical to the X-55 except for the thumb button on the stick that now looks more live a POV switch. I wonder if there are any other differences.

It now got a joystick on the throttle, like the one CH uses. Game changer for thruster usage.

Anyone know if you need Horizons for VR support or will the base game work fine?

Probably a stupid question, I know. Just want to be prepared for when my Vive gets here.

Jedi2016

Steam's page shows the base E:D as a VR title, I'd imagine it would work just fine.

Horizons is totally worth it, though, especially in VR, for going planetside.

Top Bottom