• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

Please forgive the Laptop resolution and image quality settings, but it's the first time I've found an SRV wreck out there amidst two or three destroyed skimmers... Has anybody else discovered one?

screenshot_0081zwqqi.jpg

I bought a Xbox one chatpad in hopes that I could use it while wearing the Rift, but unfortunately the game won't recognize the controller if it's plugged in, though the game recognizes the chatpad.

I'm hoping they'll have this fixed in 2.1... People were saying it used to work in previous versions, and it does recognize the two device for a few seconds when you first turn the controller on, so fingers crossed.

looks aiite I guess. the feedback weapon is going to get nerfed in the Beta.

I think it would be more balanced if it provided a RNG chance to disable the shield bank recharge attempt rather than dropping the shields straight away. Given how quickly big ships die in this game, that level of power over them seems unwise. A % chance of stopping the bank activation (or stopping its recharge effects prematurely) is enough.

Interesting to see so many items very clearly designed for changing up the PvP aspect of the game considering PvP seems to be something of little overall interest to them (right down to the ease of combat logging).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Please forgive the Laptop resolution and image quality settings, but it's the first time I've found an SRV wreck out there amidst two or three destroyed skimmers... Has anybody else discovered one?

Yep, I've seen many SRV wrecks. You even find them all over the galaxy, like everywhere, no matter how far out you are.

Interesting to see so many items very clearly designed for changing up the PvP aspect of the game considering PvP seems to be something of little overall interest to them (right down to the ease of combat logging).

Nah, not very interesting, PvP is always the focus of the devs. Every major patch is geared towards helping or encouraging PvP so far, it's how they really want Elite to be played. AI combat gets boosted too but the focus on things like Power Play, Arena, and apparently Engineers, is to add diversity and encourage PvP, to cater to the combat crowd. Improvements to any other area of the game are usually just coincidental for the most part, or minor by comparison.

Burny

Yep, I've seen many SRV wrecks. You even find them all over the galaxy, like everywhere, no matter how far out you are.

Is there any point to those POIs? This one couldn't be scanned, nor had it anything to collect.

The placement should be fixed in 2.1

LeBart

New videos look great! Now if they could just add a few unique space stations in major systems, in addition to the engineers bases, it would make the game feel a lot more believable.

Have they talked about new stations types recently?
Is it on the list?

SmartBase

So uhh, how are we supposed to juggle all these engineer goods around? Do I need to buy an FDL/big ship for each weapon or module I want to store?

Burny

So uhh, how are we supposed to juggle all these engineer goods around? Do I need to buy an FDL/big ship for each weapon or module I want to store?

Maybe the magical interdimensional storage for synthesis materials will be expanded?

Edit: Newsletter day btw! They better show all the goods in relation to Engineers and crafting today. And they better make it good. This has both the potential to be a worthless timesink everybody ignores or to turn the upgrade process of the ships into some Diablo like loot loop.

Well, the latter may not be in the cards, as it sounds like a perticular upgrade for weapons will be the same across the board. Probably helps with balance, but prevents loot addiction from setting in. ;)

Mengy

Edit: Newsletter day btw! They better show all the goods in relation to Engineers and crafting today. And they better make it good.

They won't show everything, at best one or two more module crafts.

Let's take a poll, who bets that we'll only see more weapon crafts, and nothing non-combat related? :)

Burny

Should've been more explicit: Everything related to the underlying looting and crafting mechanic, not necessarily all the modules. ;-) But if they'll show or tell anything about non weapon related module upgrade (and they've announced that all modules will be upgrade-able), today would be the day. I very much doubt there's much bling to show about explorer specific upgrades though. ADS has already "infinite" range and varying in weight and energy consumption is as unspectacular as it gets. As is incrasing FSD range or decreasing fuel consumption per jump. They're stats without any visual effect other than the cockpit element showing less/more change.

Apart from that, there's really not that much they can do without crafting new base mechanics for it first, except maybe making the SRV scanner and ship's surface radar more powerful.

I'm personally much more interested in the looting and crafting mechanic. What kind of loot will be required? How do we find it? Will the crafting be halfway logical and not like "scan free flight recorders and bring me four tiger skins and I'll craft you a new cannon". :p

SmartBase

Maybe the magical interdimensional storage for synthesis materials will be expanded?

Edit: Newsletter day btw! They better show all the goods in relation to Engineers and crafting today. And they better make it good. This has both the potential to be a worthless timesink everybody ignores or to turn the upgrade process of the ships into some Diablo like loot loop.

Well, the latter may not be in the cards, as it sounds like a perticular upgrade for weapons will be the same across the board. Probably helps with balance, but prevents loot addiction from setting in. ;)

Oh it'll definitely be another timesink, whether it's worthless or not depends on the goods. No way am I grinding like some people do in powerplay just to get green shields, especially if Frontier still haven't figured out that we need to be able to transport these modules.

Let's take a poll, who bets that we'll only see more weapon crafts, and nothing non-combat related? :)

I'm expecting a brief mention of non-combat modules, maybe, but most certainly no pictures or anything detailed.

DrBo42

I have 0 faith in FD to create something like that. Absolutely 0. No fucking way in hell. This is a company that can't even make decent missions or scale enemies 2 years into a project. A company that has completely ignored 1 of the main pillars of the game (exploration). Lol.

zorbsie

Pumped about the XB1 Horizon announcement. It's not a date, but we are in the 2nd quarter now. This game has just gotten better over time. Great to see this much support. Got 3 friends to buy the game on Xbox. They are all getting sucked in.

DrBo42

Pumped about the XB1 Horizon announcement. It's not a date, but we are in the 2nd quarter now. This game has just gotten better over time. Great to see this much support. Got 3 friends to buy the game on Xbox. They are all getting sucked in.

Now they just need to make you guys a HOTAS so you can really enjoy the game as it should be played.

didn't see this discussed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLhkqk3UBc&feature=youtu.be

Elite Dangerous: Horizons for Xbox One will launch in Q2 of 2016, featuring both 2.0: Planetary Landings and the upcoming 2.1: The Engineers expansions.

Yesssssss!!!

My computer has been overheating problems that I haven't had time to troubleshoot, so haven't been using it much. This would get me back into Elite on X1, too.

Now they just need to make you guys a HOTAS so you can really enjoy the game as it should be played.

I would seriously consider buying it too. Head tracking using the kinect might be a nice touch too.

Yeah, it's mind-boggling to me that they aren't taking advantage of the USB ports or the Kinect. Head tracking seems so obvious. They could even sell an IR head tracker, if they wanted to.

Burny

I have 0 faith in FD to create something like that. Absolutely 0. No fucking way in hell. This is a company that can't even make decent missions or scale enemies 2 years into a project. A company that has completely ignored 1 of the main pillars of the game (exploration). Lol.

Apart from me not wanting that exact scenario ("Oh look, I grinded 1 Mio. pirate lords and the last one dropped that rare material, that gave me a class 4 laser cannon lvl. 5 with +300% damage and 200% life leech" => No magical level hirarchy, thank you very much. ;) ...) - aren't you a bit harsh here?

I complain about Elite the whole time, but if the list of updates in 2.1 has shown anything to me, it's that Frontier both cares and does make meaningful changes to the base game (all the more reason to to show them exactly what we would like, they might just listen. :p ). I can't fault them for not being quicker that much, seeing as there are not that many similarily scoped projects at a comparable state of completion around. Just about none actually.

So I tend to think they know what they're doing most of the time, but have limited resources both in personel and time and a priorisation they set for themselves.

Taking the mission board as example: From a design POV, it currently is like the prototype for procedurally generating missions. Without NPCs, there is no context to all of it though. Nearly one and a half a year after launch, they finally get to revise the thing. Why haven't they implemented it the way it will be after 2.1 from the start? Chances are, time constraints didn't let them.

Soooo... exploration. They said they wanted exploration missions and mission chains as well as to revisit the military progression paths. Of course it might never happen, but I have at least some faith that it will.

At some point. In three years or so. ;P

DrBo42

Apart from me not wanting that exact scenario ("Oh look, I grinded 1 Mio. pirate lords and the last one dropped that rare material, that gave me a class 4 laser cannon lvl. 5 with +300% damage and 200% life leech" => No magical level hirarchy, thank you very much. ;) ...) - aren't you a bit harsh here?

I complain about Elite the whole time, but if the list of updates in 2.1 has shown anything to me, it's that Frontier both cares and does make meaningful changes to the base game (all the more reason to to show them exactly what we would like, they might just listen. :p ). I can't fault them for not being quicker that much, seeing as there are not that many similarily scoped projects at a comparable state of completion around. Just about none actually.

So I tend to think they know what they're doing most of the time, but have limited resources both in personel and time and a priorisation they set for themselves.

Taking the mission board as example: From a design POV, it currently is like the prototype for procedurally generating missions. Without NPCs, there is no context to all of it though. Nearly one and a half a year after launch, they finally get to revise the thing. Why haven't they implemented it the way it will be after 2.1 from the start? Chances are, time constraints didn't let them.

Soooo... exploration. They said they wanted exploration missions and mission chains as well as to revisit the military progression paths. Of course it might never happen, but I have at least some faith that it will.

I don't feel like I'm being harsh. Their decision making has been extremely poor when it comes to priority and actually making what people want.

After looking at no man's sky elite dangerous looks like a bland game :(. But not that it's a bad game because it isn't. I didn't play the expansion but I really like the base game.

Burny

I don't feel like I'm being harsh. Their decision making has been extremely poor when it comes to priority and actually making what people want.

Which decisions would've resulted in Elite being less of the ultra basic game framework we have today? Which decisions specifically are responsible for it being the game it is today rather than the game we all have on our personal mental wishlist?

It's not like any other profession is much more developed in "PvE" regards than exploration. Combat essentially boils down to grinding bounties/combat bonds/killing X of something or a randomly generated NPCs. Trading and mining are in similarily basic states. It feels less basic in combat, because chasing NPCs is some people a much more entertaining base mechanic cycling through loading screens and scanning things, but the game loop is largely the same. Repetition without end.

Mengy

Don't get too optimistic, exploration missions have been "planned" since back in beta. It's just not a priority to them because it doesn't impact combat at all. In fact, I doubt we'll see any exploration missions AT ALL until the Thargoids are in and shooting at us all over the galaxy, and exploration involves regular combat just like the rest of the game.

Burny

Don't get too optimistic, exploration missions have been "planned" since back in beta. It's just not a priority to them because it doesn't impact combat at all. In fact, I doubt we'll see any exploration missions AT ALL until the Thargoids are in and shooting at us all over the galaxy, and exploration involves regular combat just like the rest of the game.

They also said a lot of things that are now happening. Horizons and planetary landings is one of them. As is ice asteroid mining iirc.

Another thing they said would be coming, is landing on planets with atmosphere as well as walking in ships and stations. That would imply walking on planets with atmosphere. Inhabited planets with life similar to NMS will possibly be coming as well. I remember something along the lines of big game hunting. The whole walking on planets feature is practically made for explorers.

When Frontier say they're going to something at a later point, I have a lot more faith in them getting around to eventually doing it, than if for example CIG promises the sky at some unspecified point. As for priorities... That's for them to decide. They have noticed the Distant Worlds community. They know there are explorers out there. And I think they'll eventually get around to giving them more things to do.

And let's face it: Would explorers want missions of the quality we have today? Go, find 20 wrecked nav beacons! Bring me 4 pieces of plutonium! *rollseyes* I don't think simply adding some basic mission templates like we have them today will do. Not when possibly all those templates are down for a revision anyway, once they get round to more chained missions. Similarily as today's mission board being completely replaced with the one from 2.1. For explorers, It might also take a bit more effort to produce content in every respect, rather than just adding weapons with slightly varying damage effects to make it worthwhile.

DrBo42

Which decisions would've resulted in Elite being less of the ultra basic game framework we have today? Which decisions specifically are responsible for it being the game it is today rather than the game we all have on our personal mental wishlist?

It's not like any other profession is much more developed in "PvE" regards than exploration. Combat essentially boils down to grinding bounties/combat bonds/killing X of something or a randomly generated NPCs. Trading and mining are in similarily basic states. It feels less basic in combat, because chasing NPCs is some people a much more entertaining base mechanic cycling through loading screens and scanning things, but the game loop is largely the same. Repetition without end.

I think opting to do what they're doing with the mission system back when they were working on the utterly useless and garbage Powerplay would've been a far more competent choice. Then they could have actually been making missions for release in Horizons. It's things like that causing me to question their decision making.

Mengy

Meh newsletter.

Terribly meh for me.

Well at least 2.1 is bringing station chatter, and ice mining, at least I can look forward to that. Although it will probably pay worse than normal mining and only be truly useful to collect mats to craft weapon upgrades, knowing the devs,..... :(

DrBo42

Best part for me is that the experimental weapon effects appear to be roll chances. Have more grind for your grind, kids. Completely uninteresting system at this moment.

Best part for me is that the experimental weapon effects appear to be roll chances. Have more grind for your grind, kids. Completely uninteresting system at this moment.

Where did you see this?

EDIT: Ah, I see "Attributes will be changed within range shown." and "These changes have positive and negative consequences, and the Engineers trade is more of a black art than a science, so results can vary with each attempt." Not sure how I feel about that.

Burny

I think opting to do what they're doing with the mission system back when they were working on the utterly useless and garbage Powerplay would've been a far more competent choice. Then they could have actually been making missions for release in Horizons. It's things like that causing me to question their decision making.

You mean shortly after the game's release, when they where under constant fire because of lack of content in the endgame, trying to add just that in some form was a mistake? I don't know tbh.. For the grind-wreck that Powerplay is, the idea behind it - player driven high level faction conflicts - is pretty sound.

Not to mention that these updates - especially the recent larger ones - are probably considerably longer in development than the months since the respective previous last major update. How do we know that focusing on missions back then wouldn't have impacted Horizon's or the XBone's port development?

You seem to be operating under the assumption that they could have reasonably shifted around priorities at will to whatever would've made sense in your eyes. We don't know if they could have. To me, it looks more like they have some set milestones they are working towards around which they build the updates to the game. The mission board rework being part of Horizons, which contains the commander creator on which NPCs are based, looks like an example of it.

Whatever it is, they have a released game and are visibly, albeit slowly progressing to widen its scope as well as revise the incomplete parts. They're doing at least something right.

I'm far more worried about their attachment to pure time waster mechanics. :p

Mengy

Where did you see this?

EDIT: Ah, I see "Attributes will be changed within range shown." and "These changes have positive and negative consequences, and the Engineers trade is more of a black art than a science, so results can vary with each attempt." Not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah, it translates to lots of grinding for big fat loot, like a Diablo game. Not sure how I feel about that either, the last thing the game needs are more grinds. Thankfully so far it's all weapons so I won't have to bother with any of it, just like Power Play.

DrBo42

Yeah, it translates to lots of grinding for big fat loot, like a Diablo game. Not sure how I feel about that either, the last thing the game needs are more grinds. Thankfully so far it's all weapons so I won't have to bother with any of it, just like Power Play.

Except it's not really like that. You're grinding for slight bonuses and a chance at special effects on the weapons if this newsletter is an indication. There's no awesome drop like a sweet set of special thrusters you find in a derelict ship. It's you grinding mats to make your power distributor 1% better. Lol.

Mengy

Except it's not really like that. You're grinding for slight bonuses and a chance at special effects on the weapons if this newsletter is an indication. There's no awesome drop like a sweet set of special thrusters you find in a derelict ship. It's you grinding mats to make your power distributor 1% better. Lol.

True. However, if implemented well the randomness could be a good thing for the game. Say that distributor is +8% better but on top of that there is a +/-2% variation, so the range would actually be +6% to +10%. A bad "roll" would allow the player to either accept what they got or grind again for a chance at something better.

I know for myself, as an explorer, if I had the chance to craft an FSD that had a 25% increased jump range but with a +/-5% variation, I'd damn well keep grinding until I got that perfect +30%. And I'd do it gladly. It could give players actual reasons to prospect more in SRV's on planet surfaces, or to get them out into planet rings mining materials, or to do any other number of things for more than just credits. Getting an improved ship might not be too difficult, but making that ship PERFECT might become quite an arduous task.

The more I think about it, the more I like the concept of random variations in the crafts.

I just want to know that there are more than just combat oriented crafts. We'll probably have to wait until the beta to see anything non-combat related. :(

DrBo42

True. However, if implemented well the randomness could be a good thing for the game. Say that distributor is +8% better but on top of that there is a +/-2% variation, so the range would actually be +6% to +10%. A bad "roll" would allow the player to either accept what they got or grind again for a chance at something better.

I know for myself, as an explorer, if I had the chance to craft an FSD that had a 25% increased jump range but with a +/-5% variation, I'd damn well keep grinding until I got that perfect +30%. And I'd do it gladly. It could give players actual reasons to prospect more in SRV's on planet surfaces, or to get them out into planet rings mining materials, or to do any other number of things for more than just credits. Getting an improved ship might not be too difficult, but making that ship PERFECT might become quite an arduous task.

The more I think about it, the more I like the concept of random variations in the crafts.

It's a tested and proven system for crafting and upgrading in MMOs. The problem is, you need content that makes the upgrade hunt worth the effort. We don't have that.

It's a tested and proven system for crafting and upgrading in MMOs. The problem is, you need content that makes the upgrade hunt worth the effort. We don't have that.

I like finding crafting materials as is. I find it quite relaxing and entertaining, roaming about alien moons. The only thing I'd like more is some clear direction on places that are likely to have a particular element I want to farm. That part was never clear to me. If that gains clarity as well, I'll be quite happy with it.

Pomerlaw

Wow Beta isn't even out yet, why not just wait a bit before judging?

I wonder why some people even play the game, since they hate it so much. It is not like the gameplay will change dramatically at the next .X patch and transform Elite into a "you are the hero" game.

DrBo42

I wonder why some people even play the game, since they hate it so much. It is not like the gameplay will change dramatically at the next .X patch and transform Elite into a "you are the hero" game.

The "you are the hero" argument is even worse the second time. Again, that's not what the complaints are about, at all. Not sure why you're interpreting it that way.

Burny

I just want to know that there are more than just combat oriented crafts. We'll probably have to wait until the beta to see anything non-combat related. :(

Again, they said every (!) module will be upgrade-able! I would be surprised if they had a weird understanding of the term "every" that doesn't include non combat modules.

That said, I find the newsletter doesn't contain much news other than introducing one (two?) more engineers and showing the engineer GUIs.

I can't see anybody complaining about the lack of a cinematic, scripted campaign. Just stop with the "you are the hero"-strawman argumentation. There's ton of room for Elite to become an actually good game, rather than just a visionary one. That argumentation is not any bit better than Star Citizen's white knights calling everybody who dares criticise the game's direction, their approach, their exploding scope etc. "Dereck Smart".

DrBo42

I like finding crafting materials as is. I find it quite relaxing and entertaining, roaming about alien moons. The only thing I'd like more is some clear direction on places that are likely to have a particular element I want to farm. That part was never clear to me. If that gains clarity as well, I'll be quite happy with it.
I get that. I'm sure moon roving can be zen for people. I'm just saying that it's not a game that really has any need for you to max out your ships with hours of grinding and re-rolling modules with the current content (besides PvP BiS builds). Usually when games introduce that in the rpg space they have difficult or specialized content to make it worth it.

Mengy

I think a lot of the people complaining about the game actually love Elite, but they feel left out or they want the game to be better. I know I do. I feel like FDev focuses too much on the combat aspect of the game when Elite has so much more to offer than just blowing things up. So far all of the newsletter previews about 2.1 have shown us combat stuff, and absolutely nothing else.

It's completely understandable why many people are complaining about what's been shown so far.

SmartBase

I wonder how many times I have to roll the dice just to get matching custom weapons, can't wait to have multicannons that run out of ammo at differing rates because I couldn't get the RNG to roll in my favour.

Pomerlaw

I think a lot of the people complaining about the game actually love Elite, but they feel left out or they want the game to be better. I know I do. I feel like FDev focuses too much on the combat aspect of the game when Elite has so much more to offer than just blowing things up. So far all of the newsletter previews about 2.1 have shown us combat stuff, and absolutely nothing else.

It's completely understandable why many people are complaining about what's been shown so far.

I think we should wait to actually try 2.1 before concluding anything too severely. There may be a few suprises for explorers.

Top Bottom