• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Dineren

Banned
Did I see correctly that Frontier originally planned Horizons as a completely separate release? Would that mean that it originally wouldn't have been counted as an expansion under the premium beta's all expansions are free deal?

Doesn't seem like that could be right, but I read there was a lot of anger about the decision initially so I'm not sure. I'm probably just completely misunderstanding.

Burny

This has made me try some other space games at least, its disappointing that this game gets all the sales and publicity when there is better out there.

Ok, I'll bite. We all have our gripes with Elite and as much as most of us probably like Elite, I don't think anybody here would mind playing a game that was more deserving of the spotlight and did things better. Please name those games and give us a rundown of what they do better.

Did I see correctly that Frontier originally planned Horizons as a completely separate release? Would that mean that it originally wouldn't have been counted as an expansion under the premium beta's all expansions are free deal?

Doesn't seem like that could be right, but I read there was a lot of anger about the decision initially so I'm not sure. I'm probably just completely misunderstanding.

The bolded is incorrect. I followed this pretty closely and that never was mentioned or even implied. Horizons did start out as "standalone" release however, meaning you only had the option to buy it with the base game ("season 1") included (and get a slight discount). But it then already was what they call "a season of expansions", meaning an addon distributed across the coming year. That pricing was a bit of a middlefinger towards existing players, who already bought the base game at full price. Long story short, it's been separated and is now sold as DLC/expansion at reduced price, but you have to either have the base game already, buy it separately or buy a bundle.

As for anger, there is a lot of anger and drama about any of Frontier's decision. A bit understandable in this case, as we're talking an addon with substantial functionality updates for a substantial price one year into a horribly incomplete game. But then again, you don't keep a 100 person dev team running on a meagre 1.x Mio. pound kickstarter and the initial sales for years to come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you want to have a dose of the righteous anger and resentment some people with apparently little else to do with their lifes foster towards Elite Dangerous, have a look at the kickstarter comments. There an individual calling themselves "Oldscool Shadowrunner" and some other guys have been talking trash for years now (and some other regulars mocking them/defending the game :p).

Calabi

Ok, I'll bite. We all have our gripes with Elite and as much as most of us probably like Elite, I don't think anybody here would mind playing a game that was more deserving of the spotlight and did things better. Please name those games and give us a rundown of what they do better.

The bolded is incorrect. I followed this pretty closely and that never was mentioned or even implied. Horizons did start out as "standalone" release however, meaning you only had the option to buy it with the base game ("season 1") included (and get a slight discount). But it then already was what they call "a season of expansions", meaning an addon distributed across the coming year. That pricing was a bit of a middlefinger towards existing players, who already bought the base game at full price. Long story short, it's been separated and is now sold as DLC/expansion at reduced price, but you have to either have the base game already, buy it separately or buy a bundle.

As for anger, there is a lot of anger and drama about any of Frontier's decision. A bit understandable in this case, as we're talking an addon with substantial functionality updates for a substantial price one year into a horribly incomplete game. But then again, you don't keep a 100 person dev team running on a meagre 1.x Mio. pound kickstarter and the initial sales for years to come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you want to have a dose of the righteous anger and resentment some people with apparently little else to do with their lives foster towards Elite Dangerous, have a look at the kickstarter comments. Where an individual calling themsxelves "Oldscool Shadowrunner" and some other guys have been talking trash for years now (and some other regulars mocking them/defending the game :p).

Sorry I shouldn't have said that. I'm not going to get involved in an argument these are just my opinions.

X3 Terran Conflict, seems like it has better UI, although it doesnt have a cockpit view, it has picture in picture, multiple view angles, a zoom function.

Evochron Legacy, has a crazy complex flight system(newtonian physics), and better tutorials, but they do take a while to get through. The graphics arent that great though.

I havent got that far into them to analyse them that deeply. But the missions and gameplay systems seems to work and be finished.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Evochron Legacy, has a crazy complex flight system(newtonian physics), and better tutorials, but they do take a while to get through. The graphics arent that great though.

Nah, I played a lot of Evochron in the past, and while it does have much better tutorials than Elite, Elite has a much better flight model. Evochron feels janky by comparison IMHO.

For all of Elite's problems, and they are many, it does get a lot of things very right, and is IMHO the best space simulator on the market today, flaws and all. It's potential though is out of this world. If FDev could get their act together and make some better design decision this game would be untouchable.

Yeah, I think most of us are critical here because we know how close Elite is to being a fantastic game. Maybe they should shake up their Product team, bring in some new ideas or someone who is experienced with MMOs.

They're having the same problem that Bungie did: trying to do something brand new when the tried-and-true way is probably, in most respects, better. It's tried-and-true for a reason.

As for finding games that do everything Elite does, but better...yeah, I'd be really curious too. I don't think anything matches Elite's flight and combat, and depending on what you're looking for, the other elements of the game can be compelling, though we all know they have issues.

Right now I'm enjoying running Neo Galactic Adventure Force missions and diving into planetary stuff (I didn't really get to play on PC due to computer issues I had been having last year) on X1. I may get burnt out but I'll come back with the "rep for special effects + increased chances of positive effects" patch.

AJLma

Good on Kornelius for making that video. Frontier is going to be in for some serious backlash if they don't get their direction together. 2.1 actually convinced me to stop playing the game for the time being.

Chances are Frontier will see this video, increase a few limits or do something inconsequential and act like everything is good.

Calabi

I'm playing more of Freelancer at the moment but that's way more arcadey than any of the above. It's annoying that their isn't more current space games, so difficult to find one that hits all the right buttons. I mean Elite seems really janky to me.

It seems like Frontier are using the strategies of free to play games, the grind sounds similar to warframe, and charging for colours and things like that. I dont have anything against charging for colours or cosmetic dlc but their prices do seem high. I dont see the justification to force people to grind so much, they've paid their money so why not let them have fun.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Their prices for paint jobs and cosmetic stuff is too high, I agree. I only buy stuff in the store when it's on sale for 50% or more off, and even then it sometimes feels steep coupled with the yearly expansion prices. Elite is not a cheap game to play, and that is certainly holding it back some with regards to player base.

I will say this though, the minute they release one of those ship kits for the Asp it will be mine. $$$$

Their prices for paint jobs and cosmetic stuff is too high, I agree. I only buy stuff in the store when it's on sale for 50% or more off, and even then it sometimes feels steep coupled with the yearly expansion prices. Elite is not a cheap game to play, and that is certainly holding it back some with regards to player base.

I will say this though, the minute they release one of those ship kits for the Asp it will be mine. $$$$

Vulture is when I'll splooge.

E-flux

Wow, i have been looking for the last materials i need for the faster fsd boot up sequence, i'm glad that i checked reddit to hear that it actually isn't about jumping any faster, rather than booting up after being damaged, i would have been so pissed once i finally would have found the last heat exchanger or what ever it was called.

Dineren

Banned
Finally grinded out the asp, but now I'm afraid to use it since I'm paranoid I'm going to somehow get it destroyed a few times and wipe out all my credits. I think I should have waited until I could at least afford it without selling my Cobra.

Are the difficulty of missions you are given at all affected by the system you are in or is it pretty much solely your rank that determines the missions you get?

Finally grinded out the asp, but now I'm afraid to use it since I'm paranoid I'm going to somehow get it destroyed a few times and wipe out all my credits. I think I should have waited until I could at least afford it without selling my Cobra.

Are the difficulty of missions you are given at all affected by the system you are in or is it pretty much solely your rank that determines the missions you get?

The rank indicates the difficulty but it's not a gate. A harmless pilot can take an elite mission of they wanted to try it.

DjRalford

When playing the other day i had multiple missions for transporting biowaste from multiple factions in one system all to the same system / station 10ly away, not seen this happen before, let me earn a couple of million in about 4 minutes.

Burny

No news at or around Sony's conference about Elite? Are Frontier even at E3 this year?

But I guess that means no Elite on PS4 in the foreseeable future, unless they're waiting for Gamescom with any announcements.

DrBo42

No news at or around Sony's conference about Elite? Are Frontier even at E3 this year?

But I guess that means no Elite on PS4 in the foreseeable future, unless they're waiting for Gamescom with any announcements.
Haven't heard a word about them being at e3 this year.

Atomski

So I just started playing Elite again after not having online for a good while. So what's the deal here? Do I need to buy this if I'm not that interested in planetary stuff?

DrBo42

So I just started playing Elite again after not having online for a good while. So what's the deal here? Do I need to buy this if I'm not that interested in planetary stuff?
Planetary landings and Engineers are all part of Horizons. Changes to AI, mission board, outfitting, quality of life changes, graphics etc are all included in base version.

Grieves

Yeah, I was hoping for some news at the Sony conference.

how do i land on planets? i just bought the game for xb1, but i don't know how to land

You need to get a Planetary Hangar Bay. It's a size 2 module you can purchase for cheap from a lot of stations. Then, buy an SRV for that.

Your ship SHOULD have a Planetary Landing Module (or whatever it's called) already installed. You need that, too, but you can also buy it if it's not installed. It's size 1.

HunRevan

What kind of planet are you trying to land on? You can only land on airless planets. They have a blue line around them on the system map.

I tried to land on a planet without atmosphere. I was pulled out of fast travel as I apporchaed the planet and I couldn't get near to it.

I tried to land on a planet without atmosphere. I was pulled out of fast travel as I apporchaed the planet and I couldn't get near to it.

You actually stay in Super Cruise to approach the planet. When you get within orbit, your UI will change to indicate you're in Orbital Cruise mode.

If you were approaching too fast, it may have pulled you out as a safety precaution.

Check Frontier's "Pilot Training" series for Horizons on Youtube.

I always get too close, dropping out message...

That's strange. PC or X1? You keeping throttle in the blue? And of course, you're positive it's a rocky or metal world?

Even if you don't own Horizons, I thought you could get pretty damned close to a planet, if not in Orbital Flight. You just can't land. Can't remember now, though.

HunRevan

That's strange. PC or X1? You keeping throttle in the blue? And of course, you're positive it's a rocky or metal world?

Even if you don't own Horizons, I thought you could get pretty damned close to a planet, if not in Orbital Flight. You just can't land. Can't remember now, though.

It was an icy planet. I try an other now. I do own horizons.

ED and Thrustmaster are partnering for a new affordable HOTAS:

Thrustmaster is unveiling its newest flight simulation joystick alongside partnering with Frontier Developments, and it will provide a complete space sim solution that maps directly into the videogame. It has been said that the joystick is “perfect” for virtual reality (VR) as it is “the most natural and intuitive way to sit in a cockpit”. The stick, the T.16000M FCS HOTAS, which stands for ‘Flight Control System’ and ‘Hands On Throttle and Stick’, and is developed by the hardware manufacturers who have been developing flight sim controllers for 25 years.

The T.16000M FCS HOTAS has an ambidextrous design, has a Flight Control System and Thrustmaster Weapon Control System, and it is compatible with PC using a USB for Windows Vista-10.

The price for the T.16000M FCS HOTAS will be at a suggested retail price of £99.99 GBP, €129.99 EUR, or $129.99 USD and it will be available from September.

New Thrustmaster:

jrJaM5o.jpg
ChpbnO_XAAA4lJ4.jpg

Top Bottom