• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Got myself a fancy new Asp Explorer. I loathe the cockpit, but I'm going to take a nice long journey past to the Galactic Core and beyond. I'm about 2000k in, only 58k more to beagle point!

akira28

Got myself a fancy new Asp Explorer. I loathe the cockpit, but I'm going to take a nice long journey past to the Galactic Core and beyond. I'm about 2000k in, only 58k more to beagle point!

It'll grow on you. it's made for gawking at pretty astro features. plus the asp eX sounds like an old B29 when you're pulling extreme maneuvers at low speeds, its great.

edit: looks like its modeled more on the Heinkel He 111 than the B29.

zorbsie

Anyone else having problems turning in missions? I picked up 3 delivery missions. Went to the first location and there was no option to turn in. Decided to come back and just head to the second location, only to have the same thing happen. This is just killing the game for me. I was trying to grind out rank and this is not helping. On XB1 if that makes a difference.

DodgerSan

Anyone else having problems turning in missions? I picked up 3 delivery missions. Went to the first location and there was no option to turn in. Decided to come back and just head to the second location, only to have the same thing happen. This is just killing the game for me. I was trying to grind out rank and this is not helping. On XB1 if that makes a difference.

Is it possible that there is cargo as part of the reward and you don't have any cargo space?

zorbsie

Is it possible that there is cargo as part of the reward and you don't have any cargo space?

I thought of that too, but I had plenty of extra cargo space. Played a couple of other games and came back to ED and the missions could be claimed. Still don't know why they couldn't be claimed earlier.

Jedi2016

Heh.. economical route planning is a trip sometimes. It says I'm only 730 jumps from the core! And that I can actually do it without refueling.. that's pretty crazy. I'll do it later today in about 32 jumps, I think.

DrBo42

So they are patching the game today to up the material limit to 1000 and the data limit to 500, and will also be lowering the amount of rare goods needed to unlock some engineers:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/265277-Serverside-update-and-upcoming-point-update

That is a good change, but it still isn't addressing the crux of the problem with how the engineers are implemented....

A bit too little too late at this point for me (with Engineers). Probably going to sit out until 2.2

Reckheim

ok, i'm getting this.

hVudiK3.jpg

Unicorn

We reach that community goal yet? I was in the top 10% and we were almost at the final 8th tier. too lazy to log on.

So close. Need just 2k more units. I'll wake up to about 23 million credits tomorrow. Damn. never thought I'd end up with that much in this game. Community goals are such a godsend.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So the game really pissed me off last night. I've pretty much been working non stop since 2.1 came out to put a level 5 FSD mod on my Asp Explorer, and tonight I finally both got level 5 access with Farseer AND had just barely enough mats to apply my first grade 5 FSD mod. And here is what I got:

8%. Eight Frack'n Percent.

I had a grade 4 FSD mod on it before (put that on while I was grinding rank with Farseer) and this new grade 5 mod is just barely one light year more than what I had before. ONE LIGHT YEAR BETTER.

And this is on a stripped down Asp running with 5D shields. No weapons or shield boosters, I even have a downsized 16T fuel tank.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p5t...0iv62i2f.Iw0gMltniQ==.EwBj4y1MEYyA?bn=Amity 2

I guess I should be glad that it's better than what I had before 2.1, but man, all of that work and I got 8%, which is absolutely nowhere near the max 46%. Talk about an unlucky roll of the RNGineers. I'm so very disappointed, and disgruntled, and disheartened.

I think I’ll be taking a week off from Elite and play other stuff for a bit, the fun factor just got crushed out of me....

SmartBase

So the game really pissed me off last night. I've pretty much been working non stop since 2.1 came out to put a level 5 FSD mod on my Asp Explorer, and tonight I finally both got level 5 access with Farseer AND had just barely enough mats to apply my first grade 5 FSD mod. And here is what I got:

8%. Eight Frack'n Percent.

I had a grade 4 FSD mod on it before (put that on while I was grinding rank with Farseer) and this new grade 5 mod is just barely one light year more than what I had before. ONE LIGHT YEAR BETTER.

And this is on a stripped down Asp running with 5D shields. No weapons or shield boosters, I even have a downsized 16T fuel tank.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p5t...0iv62i2f.Iw0gMltniQ==.EwBj4y1MEYyA?bn=Amity 2

I guess I should be glad that it's better than what I had before 2.1, but man, all of that work and I got 8%, which is absolutely nowhere near the max 46%. Talk about an unlucky roll of the RNGineers. I'm so very disappointed, and disgruntled, and disheartened.

I think I’ll be taking a week off from Elite and play other stuff for a bit, the fun factor just got crushed out of me....

I kinda had the same thing happen only I rolled 3-4% over Grade 4 but that was decent to begin with. It wouldn't be such a grind if certain materials weren't only available through missions or planetary bases (which don't respawn as far as I know...).

Hylian7

So they are patching the game today to up the material limit to 1000 and the data limit to 500, and will also be lowering the amount of rare goods needed to unlock some engineers:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/265277-Serverside-update-and-upcoming-point-update

That is a good change, but it still isn't addressing the crux of the problem with how the engineers are implemented....
Is it at least manageable now? I haven't played since 2.1 hit because they took away my Hazardous RES and because of this Engineer shit.
ok, i'm getting this.

hVudiK3.jpg
I will probably get this too to replace my X52, although I would like to see reviews first. Usually I hear Thrustmaster stuff is reliable.

Dineren

Banned
Are there locations that having the ship lights on is beneficial? I notice on that control scheme posted above and the default x52 setup that it maps the lights to one of the buttons, but I've never been in a situation I've needed them before.

Maybe my brightness settings are too high?

Are there locations that having the ship lights on is beneficial? I notice on that control scheme posted above and the default x52 setup that it maps the lights to one of the buttons, but I've never been in a situation I've needed them before.

Maybe my brightness settings are too high?

Rings in the shadow of a planet, for sure. They got buffed a while back, I often fly with them on whenever I'm in a ring, in general. Also can be useful on planetary surfaces in the shadow/dark side.

DrBo42

System hopping for an asp Explorer, but can't find one. Wiki locations aren't yielding results when I go to that station.
Eddb.io click on station tab, type in ship name you want and type in the reference system (system you're in) and hit search. Will give you closest station that sold it the last time it was updated.

Unicorn

Found one and outfitted it. Total spent was around 16million. I'm currently hopping my way to the Witch Head Nebula, just cause. Scanning whole systems at a time is slick, but I do wish planet scanning was as easy. How do I know if a planet is even worth scanning for more info?

Onemic

So from the Engineers update, how have the devs improved IQ on the Vive? Is it at least the same as the Rift now? Got my 1080 so once I get everything set up I'll hopefully be able to play it a bit with the Vive later tonight.

Found one and outfitted it. Total spent was around 16million. I'm currently hopping my way to the Witch Head Nebula, just cause. Scanning whole systems at a time is slick, but I do wish planet scanning was as easy. How do I know if a planet is even worth scanning for more info?

There is a good planetary infographic that helps you identify them visually from the System Map. Can't find it now.

DrBo42

There is a good planetary infographic that helps you identify them visually from the System Map. Can't find it now.

most of the time I don't even bother :(

Worlds and certain stars or bust. Everything else is a waste of your time.
7jTLCdP.jpg

Unicorn

Nice. Took one trip and returned and was instantly in the top 10% for the community goal. Currently hopping to the center of the galaxy.

Is there a limit to system data? Or, can I be gone for a few days then return to cash out and it'll all be there?

Nice. Took one trip and returned and was instantly in the top 10% for the community goal. Currently hopping to the center of the galaxy.

Is there a limit to system data? Or, can I be gone for a few days then return to cash out and it'll all be there?

No limit. People have gone on months long trips and cashed in just fine.

Just don't die. Also if someone else cashes in the same system as you but before you do (if if you scanned it first) you won't get the bonus for being the first to scan and turn it in.

Unicorn

No limit. People have gone on months long trips and cashed in just fine.

Just don't die. Also if someone else cashes in the same system as you but before you do (if if you scanned it first) you won't get the bonus for being the first to scan and turn it in.

I've yet to find a system that is undiscovered.

Also, I'm terrified of being murdered. especially for those that went a month flying around. Has that happened to anyone? Suicide watch?

Reckheim

Also, I'm terrified of being murdered. especially for those that went a month flying around. Has that happened to anyone? Suicide watch?

Its very unlikely you'll meet anyone and there are no NPC's out there.

Just be careful when landing on high G planets ( or avoid them completely). And never log out when you're landed on a planet as there is a glitch that might put you inside of the actual planet.

Hylian7

You're a lot safer than you think you are, even in Open.

I've been playing about a year and a half now, and I have NEVER been randomly attacked by a player. The only time was when one was on the opposite side of me in a Conflict Zone, but that is a different case.

NPC's are easy to outrun if they were to attack you, even the ones in the larger ship. You won't get interdicted by an AI Elite Fer-De-Lance or anything.

Its very unlikely you'll meet anyone and there are no NPC's out there.

Just be careful when landing on high G planets ( or avoid them completely). And never log out when you're landed on a planet as there is a glitch that might put you inside of the actual planet.

If you do happen to log out on a planet, and this bug happens to you (I'm amazed it STILL isn't fixed, and it's been there since Horizons beta), just relog and usually it should fix itself. Just do it quickly.

You haven't gone very far then outside the bubble.

We are still less than 1% discovered for the entire galaxy. Lots of undiscovered stuff out there.

Unicorn

I mean returning to the station for the community goal. I can only imagine some people will want to troll people that have just spent days collecting data before they can turn it in.

I currently don't even have guns so I could jump further.

DodgerSan

Is this happening for anyone else?

Virtually every trip I make (certainly 80% or more) is messaging me when I drop to the target station with a bonus time message, but the timer is 0.00. I then immediately get a "bonus failed" message.

zorbsie

Is this happening for anyone else?

Virtually every trip I make (certainly 80% or more) is messaging me when I drop to the target station with a bonus time message, but the timer is 0.00. I then immediately get a "bonus failed" message.

I would get a message with 1 minute remaining on the bonus. Sometimes I would land in time and get the bonus. But most times I'd get screwed out of the bonus.

Hylian7

Yesterday was the first time I put significant time into the game since 2.1. I'm feeling like my FDL doesn't cut the mustard for bounty/material farming in a Hazardous RES. Ships are aggressive, the AI is no joke, and often you find yourself in situations of being attacked from all angles. At first I went 5A shield with 4A SCBs, but being assaulted by 2-3 ships my shields still don't last long and I am chewing through SCBs. I think Bi-Weave with Shield Boosters might be better.

For weapons, right now I have a Huge Beam Laser, and 4 Medium Multicannons.

zorbsie

Have managed to gather 100M. Want to get a Python. Anyone have a good build for it? Looking for an all purpose ship. Getting tired of my Type6 with no guns. Or any other ship suggestions?

Onemic

Is being an explorer worth it now? Or do you still get next to nothing for your efforts?

Also what's the best way to become an explorer when still in a sidewinder? Is it just best to do missions until you can get a better ship and scanner?

Mengy

Is being an explorer worth it now? Or do you still get next to nothing for your efforts?

You still get next to nothing. Exploration is the worst way to earn credits in Elite on a time per credit basis, only ice mining comes close to it. You don't explore to make money, you do it because you enjoy it.

There is an interesting thread on the official forums comparing the engineers to vanilla Diablo III:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/267414-This-game-feels-like-D3-Vanilla-all-over-again

I have to say I agree that the feeling is similar, as is the bad taste left in my mouth from playing, LOL.

Onemic

You still get next to nothing. Exploration is the worst way to earn credits in Elite on a time per credit basis, only ice mining comes close to it. You don't explore to make money, you do it because you enjoy it.

There is an interesting thread on the official forums comparing the engineers to vanilla Diablo III:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/267414-This-game-feels-like-D3-Vanilla-all-over-again

I have to say I agree that the feeling is similar, as is the bad taste left in my mouth from playing, LOL.

I want to do exploration because its fun, but I dont want to be in the starter ship for most of my playing time if it will come to that.

Hylian7

I want to do exploration because its fun, but I dont want to be in the starter ship for most of my playing time if it will come to that.
You probably want to get off the ground and get yourself into an Asp. Probably should bounty hunt or trade up there. Asps are pretty cheap.

Mengy

You probably want to get off the ground and get yourself into an Asp. Probably should bounty hunt or trade up there. Asps are pretty cheap.

The Asp should be the ultimate ship for an explorer, but while working up to it a T-6 makes a fantastic explorer on it's own, for far less credits. The Diamondback Explorer is good too for close to the bubble exploring, you just can't fit an AFMU along with the SRV, so it's not ideal for deep space exploring.

Jedi2016

My AFM modules came in handy after I visited the core. I skimmed too close to the black hole on my way to scan the other star in the system, and I was cooking at about 110% for a minute or so. No hull damage, but about 10-15% damage on the majority of my internal modules. That's also why I carry two AFM modules.. a small one that's just there to repair the larger one. That kind of stuff is the reason my Asp has no cargo space.. hehe. Which is going to make collecting things for Farseer more interesting when I get back. I really hope they'll have given us module storage by then.

Onemic

My AFM modules came in handy after I visited the core. I skimmed too close to the black hole on my way to scan the other star in the system, and I was cooking at about 110% for a minute or so. No hull damage, but about 10-15% damage on the majority of my internal modules. That's also why I carry two AFM modules.. a small one that's just there to repair the larger one. That kind of stuff is the reason my Asp has no cargo space.. hehe. Which is going to make collecting things for Farseer more interesting when I get back. I really hope they'll have given us module storage by then.

Since Ive never seen a black hole in the game, is it freaky/catch you off guard when you first see one? Im assuming it's not marked if someone didnt previously find it? Im playing in VR and I can only imagine what seeing a black hole in the game would feel like.

Jedi2016

Since Ive never seen a black hole in the game, is it freaky/catch you off guard when you first see one? Im assuming it's not marked if someone didnt previously find it? Im playing in VR and I can only imagine what seeing a black hole in the game would feel like.
Most of them are at a distance from where you enter a system. I've only come across two of them where the black hole was the main high-mass stellar object, and one of those is Sagittarius A*, the galactic core. I typically know they're there before I jump in (they'll be listed on the first tab in the galaxy map when you highlight/select a system). The only one to catch me somewhat off-guard was Sag A*, because of its sheer size. You jump in a lot further out than you normally would for a black hole, and the gravitational distortion takes up nearly your entire field of view, which normally only happens at very close range.

I do have a video of my encounter, I just haven't edited it together yet.

Mengy

So... is Frontier ever going to care about explorers with its updates?

Eventually, maybe? As of yet they have publicly said they would like to someday, but that’s the extent of the info they have given us about exploration’s future.

Top Bottom