• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

kvk1

It's funny, this outcry over Engineers is completely drowning out how incredibly broken Powerplay is at the moment.

Burny

It's funny, this outcry over Engineers is completely drowning out how incredibly broken Powerplay is at the moment.

Engineer upgrades are useful to all players and a brand new addition, while powerplay is a failed attempt at adding some high level group content which provides little benefits for most players. It's not surprising the concerns over the Engineer's design eclipses any complaints about broken powerplay.

kvk1

Powerplay has been garbage since it released. Did the Engineer update make it worse?

I don't think it had any direct effect. But it broke in the most spectacular way since its release, undoing months of player effort, with the devs essentially saying "we can't fix it because it's over our heads."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rigger/page3?p=4005163&viewfull=1#post4005163

Engineer upgrades are useful to all players and a brand new addition, while powerplay is a failed attempt at adding some high level group content which provides little benefits for most players. It's not surprising the concerns over the Engineer's design eclipses any complaints about broken powerplay.

I don't disagree. I personally value(d) Powerplay more, but I'm not under the delusion that it's a priority feature.

It's just disappointing is all.

Big post by Frontier this morning, gents and ladies.

Seems like there absolutely has been a real player number drop/outcry for FD to come out and bulletpoint a plan of action to make Engineers not suck. At least it's getting done but as always, it's really scary that it even got to this point. Internal design philosophy vs player needs/wants was quite different here.

Some of their designs seems punitive at times. They want the player to earn everything through actual work. Not game 'work', intended to be fun as you do it, but actual slow monotonous and worse yet unclear work. It seems so obvious as a player, driving blind around a planet surface for hours and hours with a goal but no way of knowing if you are correctly approaching that goal or any agency to increase your efficiency. Mindless, blind, busy work to work toward a roll on a slot machine.

sorry for the offtopic question, it's regarding the value of extra fuel vs scooping on the way to the first mission location in the bubble: how much faster or is it worth it to get to the first mission station (the long 400+ly trip) without fuel scooping (to avoid scans or interdictions near star's gravity wells), if I have enough fuel tanks by just insta-jumping to the next system?

DrBo42

Some of their designs seems punitive at times. They want the player to earn everything through actual work. Not game 'work', intended to be fun as you do it, but actual slow monotonous and worse yet unclear work. It seems so obvious as a player, driving blind around a planet surface for hours and hours with a goal but no way of knowing if you are correctly approaching that goal or any agency to increase your efficiency. Mindless, blind, busy work to work toward a roll on a slot machine.

Yeah, that same kind of borderline aimless wandering is being applied to their story as well. Brookes said the next phase of the story is currently in game but just like the barnacles, someone has to stumble into it. I can't get behind that school of thought. Exploration and discovery (like finding earth-likes) is really just based on scientific data but what they employ with these searches is based on dumb luck.

sorry for the offtopic question, it's regarding the value of extra fuel vs scooping on the way to the first mission location in the bubble: how much faster or is it worth it to get to the first mission station (the long 400+ly trip) without fuel scooping (to avoid scans or interdictions near star's gravity wells), if I have enough fuel tanks by just insta-jumping to the next system?

Buying gas vs not buying gas.

For smuggling, absolutely, extra fuel tanks are better. You don't need excessive cargo space for smuggling so using the space for fuel tanks is better. The only thing to keep in mind is weight and jump range.

For other things, it depends on if there is better use for the internal module space. How much does having all that extra weight impact jump range. All a balancing act.

For smuggling, absolutely, extra fuel tanks are better. You don't need excessive cargo space for smuggling so using the space for fuel tanks is better. The only thing to keep in mind is weight and jump range.

For other things, it depends on if there is better use for the internal module space. How much does having all that extra weight impact jump range. All a balancing act.
Thanks for the response!

heres the original layout and heres the one with the extra fuel tanks

differences from 84T-cargo/32T-fuel to 52T-cargo/96T-fuel is:
CONS:
-no fuel scoop
-laden mass jumps from 469T to 507T
-speed and boost go down by 4 m/s from 290/395 to 287/390
-jump range goes down by 3ly (both full tank and laden)

PROS:
-fastest range on 1 tank almost triples... from 7jumps@unladen/laden=223/180ly to 20jumps@unladen/laden=599/530ly

seem like a worthy sacrifice? no shields and I should never have to scoop? I could always go back to a 3A fuel scoop if needed, and I can always go back to exploring with just adding a 5B fuel scoop to this baby if I need the fast refuel time. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Those fixes sound great. See y'all in late July/early August!

Yeah, seriously, I think I'm going to shelve Elite for now and just wait, and play other games until it's fixed up. Those changes sound spot on, but I'm not going to slog through 2.1 the way it is now. I'll be patient. Although it doesn't sound like they will be adjusting the RNG range overlaps between grades though, and they really should.

American Truck Simulator it is then!!!!!

owlbeak

Been playing this in my Rift since I received it on Friday and holy shit. This game is on a whole other level in VR. So good!! The sense of scale is insane. I can never go back to non-VR Elite now. :)

Also, made it to Top 10% in Daramo :D

Been playing this in my Rift since I received it on Friday and holy shit. This game is on a whole other level in VR. So good!! The sense of scale is insane. I can never go back to non-VR Elite now. :)

Also, made it to Top 10% in Daramo :D
Welcome to dilemma group :) elite vr is so awesome

Jedi2016

They found Jaques Station:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...found_jaques_station/?st=iq0b23mk&sh=dfbd661b

I'm about 7000ly away, and it's not that far out of my way for my return trip to the bubble. I can probably make it before the weekend if I push (I usually only play an hour or so a night). Station functions are down, so I won't be able to make repairs, but I'll still stop by for a bit, see what's going on. I wonder if there will be some community goal to get the station moving again.. might be hard to do this far out. On the plus side, I don't think we'll have to worry about gankers.. I don't think they'd bother making the trip, it's a hell of a lot further out than most players have ever been, except for the die-hard explorers.

Kiyoshi

Would be really cool if we could establish 'pockets' of civilization away from the bubble; sort of new 'mini-bubbles' with a few systems with stations were we could take on more lucrative missions.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
On the plus side, I don't think we'll have to worry about gankers.. I don't think they'd bother making the trip, it's a hell of a lot further out than most players have ever been, except for the die-hard explorers.

You’d be surprised the lengths that gankers will go to in order to grief people. If there is a CG at Jacques then gankers will be there too.

Would be really cool if we could establish 'pockets' of civilization away from the bubble; sort of new 'mini-bubbles' with a few systems with stations were we could take on more lucrative missions.

I kind of think that may be happening. If you look at the system in the galmap it says it is in a state of “expansion”. So yeah that is either a mistake, or completely meaningless, OR this might be the start of a new mini bubble in deep space. Which would be kind of cool, I have to admit. Like an oasis for explorers!

akira28

Oh my god I love my Clipper. This thing is a beast. So fast. They said it was like dogfighting in a bus, but this thing hauls like an Eagle, and it turns on a dime. I don't get what they were talking about. Supposedly an expert in a Viper or a Cobra could hug the blind spot even in high G, and I don't see it happening. Especially with Flight Assist rockets off and spinning like a top.

Burny

Did you know Elite's lead designer was lead designer of Haze? Haha. Man, it's all making sense.

Sandro Sammarco? I wonder if the repeated design anti-patterns Frontier implements can be attributed to him, to lack of budget/time or to other people involved in the game's design. Or to a combination thereof.

It's one of the sad facts about Elite: It's programming/art and sound teams work on a different level than its designers. The often poor design drags the game down considerably imo.

Pomerlaw

Oh my god I love my Clipper. This thing is a beast. So fast. They said it was like dogfighting in a bus, but this thing hauls like an Eagle, and it turns on a dime. I don't get what they were talking about. Supposedly an expert in a Viper or a Cobra could hug the blind spot even in high G, and I don't see it happening. Especially with Flight Assist rockets off and spinning like a top.

Share the love man, share the love. Not as fun to fly as a Viper, but still great for a big ship.

56oEUpj.png

zorbsie

Two things I'd like to see added to the game:
1. Ship delivery service. Traveling around in a Type 6 and decided to do some combat missions. I've to to travel hundreds of Ly to get to my Vulture/Python and then make a slow trip back. And when I want to switch back to space trucking I've got to make that long haul back to my Type6. I would much rather pay the station to deliver one of my vehicles. Pay 100k and get my vulture in an hour? Sure. Want it faster? Pay more.

2. On the same note I'd love for there to be a locker system at stations. Storing ship modules or even cargo I don't want to be carrying around. This would help so much in having two ship setups. Or saving upgraded modules.

elyetis

Two things I'd like to see added to the game:
1. Ship delivery service. Traveling around in a Type 6 and decided to do some combat missions. I've to to travel hundreds of Ly to get to my Vulture/Python and then make a slow trip back. And when I want to switch back to space trucking I've got to make that long haul back to my Type6. I would much rather pay the station to deliver one of my vehicles. Pay 100k and get my vulture in an hour? Sure. Want it faster? Pay more.

2. On the same note I'd love for there to be a locker system at stations. Storing ship modules or even cargo I don't want to be carrying around. This would help so much in having two ship setups. Or saving upgraded modules.
That's like some of the most requested feature since.. beta at least ? still boggle my mind we still don't have them... but well bookmark were part of that list too and finaly got released, so there is hope.

owlbeak

Anyone know the reward tiers for the bounty hunting CG in Graill Redd that just went live?

Edit: oh duh, it'll be a while before we see what each tier is.

zorbsie

That's like some of the most requested feature since.. beta at least ? still boggle my mind we still don't have them... but well bookmark were part of that list too and finaly got released, so there is hope.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't an original idea. I'll keep hoping that it will show up some time. Bookmarks were a great addition.

DrBo42

Sandro Sammarco? I wonder if the repeated design anti-patterns Frontier implements can be attributed to him, to lack of budget/time or to other people involved in the game's design. Or to a combination thereof.

It's one of the sad facts about Elite: It's programming/art and sound teams work on a different level than its designers. The often poor design drags the game down considerably imo.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,162400

Got me some Yttrium and upgraded my FSD for increased range. Was lucky and got 29% increase yay. 34LY with my sloppy equipped Anaconda :)

repeater

Hi guys. Sorry for this slightly irrelevant question, but I'm considering picking up Elite in the Steam sale. The OP of this thread says that Horizons includes the base game, but the Steam page for Horizons says that "This content requires the base game Elite Dangerous on Steam in order to play." So would I have to pick up both (or the Commander Deluxe Edition which includes both)?

DrBo42

Hi guys. Sorry for this slightly irrelevant question, but I'm considering picking up Elite in the Steam sale. The OP of this thread says that Horizons includes the base game, but the Steam page for Horizons says that "This content requires the base game Elite Dangerous on Steam in order to play." So would I have to pick up both (or the Commander Deluxe Edition which includes both)?

Correct. Horizons used to be $60 and include the base game. They've made it DLC now.

I would only get the base version if at all right now. Horizons is an investment in something you don't know if you'll even enjoy.
yep. You can get it any time between now and ever. Getting it in the christmas sale would make the most sense imho. Or if you feel you need it cause you've seen it all - unlikely.

Effect

I thought interdictions were suppose to be fixed? Or was that fix rolled back? The last few days I've been getting hit like crazy when I travel through the Rhea system and that's suppose to be my home system do to powerplay. I thought that wasn't suppose to be happening anymore.

Effect

Got a bounty on you? In this case, they're hunting you like hell...

Nope. Nothing. Don't have anything in my inventory either. Just flying between systems. This was an issue before Horizons came out when I would just be pulled out of supercruise all the time in my home system or systems where I had high rep. I stopped playing because of this and waited for the fix they were said to be making. It was fine a few weeks ago but the last few days it's returned to how it was.

Edit:

Looks like it is an issue for others as well.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-unexpectedly-we-need-more-information/page13

Hambone

Hello space friends. After reaching 100% in a Federal rank, I am unable to get a "Promotion Mission". Before I rant, I figured I would check to see if I'm doing something wrong, or perhaps I'm bugged.

This morning I reached 100% in my next rank, received the alert I am eligible for a promotion, and have spent the rest of the day in Federal space cycling, Open\Group\Solo instances hoping to get a rank up mission, and am having no such luck. This is also the first promotion in version 2.1 since I got back from a deep space exploration, so the 2.1 update rolled out before I got back to the bubble.

I'm hoping I am just missing something, or do think maybe I'm bugged?

Promotion notice:

TJhOM6o.jpg

Allied with Federals in SOL (and many other places):

FwtoIaw.jpg

Thoughts?

akira28

yeah you have to go around to different systems in fed space. one of them will eventually offer you a promotion mission. Do not just go around doing missions into 100% because it doesn't always roll over correctly. I did missions for weeks in the same system area, complaining about no promotions. I get the promotion message but it says I'm a duke instead of a squire..but only have a squire's rank, which was the next level up.

so anyway, go around various systems within 100ly or so doing missions making friends, get a lot of cordials and eventually you'll get that promotion mission, in my experience.

its funny how the Feds are such jerks in game, and their ships are weird shoeboxes with wings.

Trouble

Banned
Finally got my proper space truck for playing Space Truck Simulator 3302 (I don't know what game you guys are playing).

https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda...24.Iw18ZlA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Long Haul Space Truck

It's nice that it turns out that long haul deliveries from the systems outside the bubble are some of the more lucrative missions out there. I did my first Sothis/Ceos run with the Anaconda last night and made about 50 million (without being too overly selective about the missions I took).

Hambone

its funny how the Feds are such jerks in game, and their ships are weird shoeboxes with wings.

Thanks for the response, I'll hit up different systems get more cordials up.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, so I'm partial to driving (and flying) shoeboxes!

akira28

I'm mostly playing medium sized circuit UPS driver. I have a set up of a few luxury stations and a few allied systems I can count on to give me decent missions between a 200 ly circuit. Nothing like Fehu and Robigo runs. Using a hollowed out Asp Explorer with around 130 cargo space. Once I get a couple hundred million credits I guess I'll just see if I can get a 50+ Light year range FSD drive for my Anaconda, then I'll go alien hunting out in the Rift, since apparently there is "something" hidden out there.

Yeah I actually started out as a Fed, got up to Chief Petty Officer and decided I would never get my Federal Corvette because it was taking so long to get my promotion missions. I heard that Robigo gave great creds and also basically autoleveled your faction, so I headed out there. But unfortunately the Empire had taken it over so my Federation career ended and my journey to become a nobleman began. anyway I'm a Baron now and I think rankings were legitimately bugged for a while there, but flying around in a big random circle among cordial bases did it for me (because the promotion missions were always hidden behind a cordial reputation requirement), you can actually just fly around looking until you find a base that has promotion missions and then cordial them and try it that way.

JoeMartin

I thought they nerfed incendiary? pretty sure they did.

I thought they just removed it from NPCs? I dunno. I'm not even really sure of the hard numbers associated with it and I can't seem to find an official source for the info anywhere.

The only hard numbers I can find is +15% damage, -200% heat efficiency. Can't find how much damage is converted to thermal, tho.

Top Bottom