• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

JoeMartin

Depends on what you're gonna do with it.

From a weapon standpoint I would replace the turreted pulse with turreted beam, because a 7A distributor can run beams all day long and it'll kill eagles and sidewinders faster, and I would replace the large pusles with large multicannons, because 3C/G MC are actually ridiculous right now, especially with corrosive shell.

Given that they've successfully nerfed massive SCB use, it's far more practical to have Bi-weaves than any other shield generators, especially on ships with low(er) shield ratings possible. I keep the SCB around only for engaging wings without taking hull damage.

My "do it all" PythonVE. I only use the beams on things I can't actively keep in the firing arc. 1x corrosive 2x incendiary on the MCs, absolutely shreds condas/pythons/dropships/clippers.
EDIT: For power plant management, important to have a functional <50% power distro point that can still get you out of trouble.

DrBo42

Already? Holy Shit, that was fast....

Well yeah. The CG was very short in terms of requirements. And if you signed up for all to get the decal, you contribute to all of them at the same time. Plus timing issues. Really no way it would be a fair competition for anyone.

Trouble

Banned
Depends on what you're gonna do with it.

From a weapon standpoint I would replace the turreted pulse with turreted beam, because a 7A distributor can run beams all day long and it'll kill eagles and sidewinders faster, and I would replace the large pusles with large multicannons, because 3C/G MC are actually ridiculous right now, especially with corrosive shell.

Given that they've successfully nerfed massive SCB use, it's far more practical to have Bi-weaves than any other shield generators, especially on ships with low(er) shield ratings possible. I keep the SCB around only for engaging wings without taking hull damage.

My "do it all" PythonVE. I only use the beams on things I can't actively keep in the firing arc. 1x corrosive 2x incendiary on the MCs, absolutely shreds condas/pythons/dropships/clippers.
EDIT: For power plant management, important to have a functional <50% power distro point that can still get you out of trouble.

Good stuff, thanks. This is the stuff I don't know about.

DrBo42

If anyone of you new guys has a cargo ship, the precious gems USS in Maiki is still up. Or you can meet me in Atlantis when I go to sell and I can give you a bunch. They're 70k a ton in Atlantis' black market. Selling my 592 gives me around 47 million per trip.

JoeMartin

That feeling when you manoeuver out of the station in your Vulture after being couped up in a Python for 2 weeks.

so_good.jpg

Trouble

Banned
Are the requirements to unlock all the engineers super obnoxious? I've been flying around to the barnacle sites on this doc but they are all harvested already. Logging out/in and cycling through modes doesn't refresh them like it does the mission board.

DrBo42

Are the requirements to unlock all the engineers super obnoxious? I've been flying around to the barnacle sites on this doc but they are all harvested already. Logging out/in and cycling through modes doesn't refresh them like it does the mission board.

They can be obnoxious, yeah. Especially the rare goods one. You were able to buy meta-alloys at a station a while back, not sure if that's still the case.

If you're trying to get a meta-alloy for Farseer just fly to Darnielle's Progress in Maia. It's in the Pleiades, so it'll be a journey.

Trouble

Banned
If you're trying to get a meta-alloy for Farseer just fly to Darnielle's Progress in Maia. It's in the Pleiades, so it'll be a journey.

That's still a thing? I see that in forums posts from like 6 months ago. Sothis delivery runs are my bread and butter, so Journeying is my jam (scoop, scan, scoot, repeat). Also, with the current community goal requiring exploration scans I don't mind some extra traveling outside the bubble.

Edit: Just checked because I was already only 2 hops away and they had Meta-alloys on the commodity market. Thank you!

zorbsie

If anyone of you new guys has a cargo ship, the precious gems USS in Maiki is still up. Or you can meet me in Atlantis when I go to sell and I can give you a bunch. They're 70k a ton in Atlantis' black market. Selling my 592 gives me around 47 million per trip.

Is it a mission or do you just look for the USS? My anaconda is ready to be filled. :)

Jedi2016

Doesn't look like there was any point in stopping by Jaques. I still believe that they didn't intend for the station to be found this quickly, and they don't have anything ready.

Looks like all the stuff they have planned now is in the bubble, so I might as well continue my trip back home. Can't take the straight path, of course... too many other people coming out to Jaques, so I'll have to head out of the way again and circle around the rim to get back.

Doesn't look like there was any point in stopping by Jaques. I still believe that they didn't intend for the station to be found this quickly, and they don't have anything ready.

Looks like all the stuff they have planned now is in the bubble, so I might as well continue my trip back home. Can't take the straight path, of course... too many other people coming out to Jaques, so I'll have to head out of the way again and circle around the rim to get back.

I'm on my way back from Beagle Point and am just thinking the same thing...

Was planning to head towards Jaques but may go to the bubble first, see if I can get a better FSD then make my way towards Jaques once they get stuff repaired out there.

It's going to be a while till I'm home anyways.

DrBo42

Oh no! I'm in the USS now collecting. Is there nowhere to sell these now?

Lol it's all still there. I'm just joking trying to get people to stop cutting into my profits. (Demand or selling price drops as they get more and more of them) It's fine. I'm trying to find a better selling spot though.

zorbsie

Lol it's all still there. I'm just joking trying to get people to stop cutting into my profits. (Demand or selling price drops as they get more and more of them) It's fine. I'm trying to find a better selling spot though.

lol. I'm too gullible. What determines the price? Is it distance from source or system needs? Still need a place to sell these. :)

DrBo42

lol. I'm too gullible. What determines the price? Is it distance from source or system needs? Still need a place to sell these. :)

Not sure what determines it with this. With rares it's just range usually. This seems to be range and economy, probably higher with a high pop high tech/refinery economy.

Default place to sell is in Atlantis. Kimura station or something like that.

Jedi2016

I'm on my way back from Beagle Point and am just thinking the same thing...

Was planning to head towards Jaques but may go to the bubble first, see if I can get a better FSD then make my way towards Jaques once they get stuff repaired out there.

It's going to be a while till I'm home anyways.
Yeah, I was out and about when it was found, actually wasn't too far from where I was already, and more or less along the way back home. I don't think I would have made the trip special from the bubble just for that, though.

DrBo42

Some updates from LaveCon:

GamesCom will be big for Elite Dangerous this year.

Tourism is only 1 aspect of passengers. Tourist destinations they've been collecting on the forums will actually be scannable sites in the game. Those that submit them will have their name on it etc. Sites of famous battles and history in the Elite universe will finally be recognized or start being recognized as such. Not limited to the bubble.

Human bubble will be built around Jaques and be support by Frontier. A 2nd bubble if you will.

Player journal is coming. Places you've visited and things you've done will be making their way into a local file on your system. They've been working with the app community on it.

There was a question about why all the interiors of Coriolis stations look the same. Why advertisements don't change from Fed to Imperial stations across the bubble. Brookes responded "Gamescom"

Changes coming to Galaxy Map plotting. My speculation is that they might finally be allowing us to plot a route to a saved bookmark from the cockpit.

MENGY ALERT Question about the Formidine Rift and expanding on exploration in general. "We're looking to fill the galaxy with interesting things. Gamescom."MENGY ALERT

Still going through the rest of the video. I'll edit in additional bits.

JoeMartin

Is Mengy the only gaffer in the 65k club? I certainly haven't done anything near that for exploration - don't like the idea of being out of the bubble that long.

Is Mengy the only gaffer in the 65k club? I certainly haven't done anything near that for exploration - don't like the idea of being out of the bubble that long.

I'm on my way back from Beagle Point now... man, it takes forever. Every time I look at the map and see I'm still 61,000 LY away I just sigh...

DrBo42

Well these trips just paid for my 121 million 8A power plant on my Cutter. God that cost is insane. Pretty sure you can buy a Conda for that.

Reckheim

Some updates from LaveCon:

GamesCom will be big for Elite Dangerous this year.

Tourism is only 1 aspect of passengers. Tourist destinations they've been collecting on the forums will actually be scannable sites in the game. Those that submit them will have their name on it etc. Sites of famous battles and history in the Elite universe will finally be recognized or start being recognized as such. Not limited to the bubble.

Human bubble will be built around Jaques and be support by Frontier. A 2nd bubble if you will.

Player journal is coming. Places you've visited and things you've done will be making their way into a local file on your system. They've been working with the app community on it.

There was a question about why all the interiors of Coriolis stations look the same. Why advertisements don't change from Fed to Imperial stations across the bubble. Brookes responded "Gamescom"

Changes coming to Galaxy Map plotting. My speculation is that they might finally be allowing us to plot a route to a saved bookmark from the cockpit.

MENGY ALERT Question about the Formidine Rift and expanding on exploration in general. "We're looking to fill the galaxy with interesting things. Gamescom."MENGY ALERT

Still going through the rest of the video. I'll edit in additional bits.

Ugh, this is some exciting stuff. Cant wait. When is Gamescon again?

JoeMartin

Put the Vulture in for some upgrades, running 1x corrosive 1x incendiary.

u8nHyYm.png

Doesn't kill as quickly as the 1x corrosive 4x incendiary FDL, mostly just because powering through shields is harder, but oh boy when they come off does it kill quick - time on target is so nice.

Widge

Does anyone play this on 360 pad / Steam pad? Is it possible to play without a keyboard?

I'm hoping to get stuck into this eventually but wondering if my front room play will make it a non-starter.

E-flux

I'm planning on getting rudder pedals as soon as i get back from japan early next month, what pedals would you guys suggest? I have 200-500 euros to spend for them.

zorbsie

Edit: 1 down

Nice!

Been looking to increase my explore rank so I'm headed to Sagittarius A and back. Hopefully that will rank me up at least once :)

Does anyone play this on 360 pad / Steam pad? Is it possible to play without a keyboard?

I'm hoping to get stuck into this eventually but wondering if my front room play will make it a non-starter.
I'm playing on XB1, so no keyboard for me at all. There are some things I wish I had a mouse/keyboard for. But for the most part it works just fine.

Hylian7

I haven't played in a while, I see 2.2 is passengers? Will players be included in that? Walking around in the ship?

Have they fixed Engineers yet?

Top Bottom