• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

zorbsie

Went to go trade 336 power generators for the community goal and found out that the market had been locked down. Never knew that could happen. How long do lockdowns usually last? I ended up selling the units at another station and level upped my federation rank. Now I'm looking for the elusive promotion mission.

DrBo42

Went to go trade 336 power generators for the community goal and found out that the market had been locked down. Never knew that could happen. How long do lockdowns usually last? I ended up selling the units at another station and level upped my federation rank. Now I'm looking for the elusive promotion mission.

Having that problem on the Empire side as well. Been playing since Premium Beta, never had problems finding a promotion mission like this. They must have messed something up with 2.1

zorbsie

Having that problem on the Empire side as well. Been playing since Premium Beta, never had problems finding a promotion mission like this. They must have messed something up with 2.1

I've on the XB1 version since game preview. I never had a hard time finding promotion missions. Usually 2 or 3 systems and I'd find it. I'm at Petty Officer now. I've found "Federal Navy Strike" Mission but I can't accept them because I need an Elite trade ranking. The grind is starting to show through. I'm only 17% through entrepreneur rank and the percentage increase is really slow now. I'll keep trading in federation space and looking at mission boards, maybe something will come up.

DrBo42

I've on the XB1 version since game preview. I never had a hard time finding promotion missions. Usually 2 or 3 systems and I'd find it. I'm at Petty Officer now. I've found "Federal Navy Strike" Mission but I can't accept them because I need an Elite trade ranking. The grind is starting to show through. I'm only 17% through entrepreneur rank and the percentage increase is really slow now. I'll keep trading in federation space and looking at mission boards, maybe something will come up.
I'm talking about the mission that's supposed to spawn in stations of that allegiance once you hit 100% of X navy rank. They've never been completely absent like this.

As for ranking up, look for Federation systems in boom and do the data delivery missions.

Reckheim

Some interesting stuff I found on the elite forums (i'm bored at work); see below.

Below was posted on 6/17 by Michael Brooks

Hi everyone!

We have the passenger gameplay coming as part of the 2.2 release, and there’s one aspect we’d like your input with. One of the reasons for passengers travelling is tourism, so we’re building a database of tourist locations in human space and beyond for the passengers to visit. We know that you’ve visited wonderful places and discovered some great sights, so we’re calling on you to post the place that you’d like to visit if you were a tourist.

To submit your suggestion you should provide the following information in a single post in this thread:
• Location name (this should include system name, body name and lat/long if the location is on the surface).
• A screenshot of the view.
• Your Commander name – this will be used as a location selected by, if it’s used.

The entries selected will be included in game, although we may not use them all for the initial release.

This thread is for submissions only, please do not conduct discussion in this thread to make it easier for us to keep track of submissions.

If there are multiple submissions for the same location then we’ll attribute the Commander who first suggested the location in this thread.

Moderator edit (sorry Michael) : If you wish to discuss this thread in general, please here. There is a separate thread for general discussion about passenger missions here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...nations-thread

Edit: Feel free to include a travel guide suggestion with your submission - there won't be a separate thread for this.

Thanks!

Michael

Additionally I also found some info on the basic premise that was given to us back in 2013 by Game Designer Tom Kewell, see below.

Hi all,
You get an early update on passengers today, as I'm hitting the ferry to go and see the F1 Belgian Grand Prix tomorrow. Having gone over your feedback from the first proposal, this is the revised take on it:

PASSENGERS IN ELITE: DANGEROUS

Players can carry passengers between destinations as a way of earning money (or other valuable resources) in Elite: Dangerous. Players can carry passengers in their ships cargo hold, in stasis tubes or in rudimentary cabins, but this is considered a fairly rough way to travel and allows players to transport passengers from A to B for a basic fee.

Passenger liners represent the state of the art in terms of luxury travel. Liners can be fitted with a range of high quality cabins. These can be fitted with a range of high end passenger cabins, and feature a number of features to keep passengers comfortable and entertained. The player can also fit their liner with a large number of basic cabins to use it for mass transit.

Passengers that are not in stasis will offer the player missions to complete while they are on their journey. Passengers travelling in higher quality cabins will offer the player missions to the player more frequently, and for greater rewards.

CABINS AND QUALITY OF TRANSPORT FOR PASSENGERS
The player can fit their ship with a number of different cabin types. Some ships can only fit the most basic types of passenger transport, but luxury liners are free to choose from the entire range. The better the quality of the cabin the more a passenger will be willing to pay to travel, but the more expensive, spacious and heavy the cabin module will be (Occupying more space in the players ship, and limiting the player's options to fit other modules)
The types of cabin available are:

Class 1 - Stasis tube Rack
This is a powered cargo rack that the player must fit in their cargo hold. It allows the player to carry two passengers per rack, transported like cargo
Passengers in stasis tubes will not offer the player missions en route
Stasis tube racks can be fitted in any type of ship

Class 2 - Basic Passenger Cabin
This powered cabin allows a single passenger to be transported in a conscious state. The cabin features rudimentary facilities
Passengers in basic passenger cabins have a low chance of offering the player low paying missions en route
Basic Passenger Cabins can be fitted to any ship type

Class 3 - Travel Cabin
This powered cabin allows up to two passengers to be transported in a relatively civilised state. This is the equivalent of travelling second class today
Passengers in basic passenger cabins have a chance of offering the player medium paying missions en route
Travel Cabins can only be fitted to Liners

Class 4 - First Class Cabin
This powered cabin allows up to Four passengers to be transported in high quality surroundings. Players have a number of facilities and services available to them, automated by the room
Passengers in First Class cabins have a good chance of offering the player medium to high paying missions en route
First Class Cabins can only be fitted to Liners

Class 5 - Luxury Cabin
This powered cabin allows up to Four passengers to be transported in absolute luxury. Years of research into human pleasure has resulted in the pinnacle of luxury travel arrangements
Passengers in luxury cabins have a high chance of offering the player high paying missions en route
Luxury Cabins can only be fitted to Liners

FINDING AND ACCEPTING PASSENGER CONTRACTS
Players can find passenger contacts in a number of locations around the galaxy by docking and checking a locations bulletin board. Passenger contracts will appear there.

Players must dock at a station or other location in order to accept passenger contracts
The player selects the bulletin board from the menu once docked and selects the travel page
Available contracts are listed here and can be filtered by distance of destination, reward value, # of passengers, deadline, previously flagged etc.
Each of the passenger contracts will have a small number of relevant details listed under it’s heading
Selecting a contract will open a page with all the details of the job including:
Contacts name (the name of the NPC that posted the contract
Departure Location (This should be the players current locations unless there is some special pickup condition attached to the job)
Destination (With the distance from the departure listed
Deadline for delivery
Money Offered
Number of Passengers
Minimum class of transport
Deadline for completion of the contract
Other Information

From the details page of a job the player can select to either flag the task (highlighting it for later) or can select to contact the poster of the job
By communicating with the original poster the player can begin negotiating the terms of a passenger contract
Players can discuss the following terms:
Negotiate price
Negotiate Deadlines
Time of payment (on completion, half advance, full advance, based on reputation)
Information on any Expected Risks
Information on any missions passengers might have
Any required permits (The passenger will provide one if they can get it, although they may ask the player to enter an illegal area without)
Deadline for completion
Accept or Reject the contract
Different clients may be more or less flexible on certain aspects of their contract
When the player selects to accept the contract the passengers will be loaded into the players ship
If the players ship does not meet the requirements for the contract (e.g space for passengers, facilities etc.) the contract will be cancelled and the player will be informed of the cause for cancellation
The player can accept as many contracts as their ship’s capacity and facilities allow

DELIVERING PASSENGERS
Once passengers are loaded into a players ship they must deliver them to their desired destination to complete their passenger contract. Passengers in stasis are delivered simply to their destination, however passengers who are being delivered in liners will have additional missions to offer the player along their delivery
With Passengers in stasis the player must fly them to their destination within the time of the deadline for completion
Players must fly to and dock at the destination specified in the contract
Once docked the passengers will disembark
The players will receive any payment due and a message from the passengers
The players reputation for passenger delivery will increase
With conscious passengers the player still has a destination (or multiple destinations) to deliver their passengers to
Once on board passengers will offer the players missions to earn rewards
Players can acquiesce to a passengers mission or can ignore them
Passenger missions can trigger certain events, such as ambushes or pre-arranged meetings with other ships
Passenger missions can chain into a sequence of connected missions
Passengers may make requests to the player based on events the player encounters
E.g. Passenger is a Federation Officer. Will ask the player to intervene with any Federal requests for aid
The player may receive multiple missions from passengers on a journey
If the deadline for completion should pass without the player completing the contract the passenger contract is failed
Depending on the players proximity to the passengers destination and current situation (surroundings, ship status, and previous extensions). They may offer the player an extension on the contract with a re-negotiated reward
The player will lose a small amount of reputation for being late
If the player is too far from the destination, or in an undesirable situation the passengers will demand that the player delivers them to the nearest settlement
Failure to allow them off your ship will result in a crime being logged against the player
The player will lose a larger amount of reputation for non completion
If the players ship is destroyed with passengers on board the passenger contract is considered failed
If passengers are on board the players ship when it is destroyed they are killed
The player will lose a large amount of passenger delivery reputation if passengers are killed while on their ship
Players can order passengers they have on board to abandon ship
Passengers will enter escape pods. These can be collected like cargo containers for a short period, allowing the player to continue the passenger contract after the danger has passed
If the player’s ship is destroyed while passengers are in escape pods they will be recovered to the nearest safe location (like the player if they use an escape pod) and won't die
The Passenger contract will be over and the player will not receive a reward, but the player’s reputation will not suffer either

Trouble

Banned
I'm talking about the mission that's supposed to spawn in stations of that allegiance once you hit 100% of X navy rank. They've never been completely absent like this.

As for ranking up, look for Federation systems in boom and do the data delivery missions.

Well that explains why I'm stuck at 100% midshipman. I want that damn Sol permit! :(

Trouble

Banned
sothis coes are feds and they have TONS of data delivery missions

Yes that's how I got most of my fed ranking, since I've been focusing on long-haul delivery missions and Sothis/Ceos seems to be the best spot for those that I've found. I've been running data delivery between the two while filling up on delivery missions.

I actually realized the other night that I shouldn't be too selective because you can only take 20 missions. I ended up with a full docket of delivery missions and only just over half of my Space Truck's 320T cargo capacity used. :p

DrBo42

I'll look into that tonight.

I actually just checked my status after I kept doing another 10-20 missions and it automatically advanced me to the next rank without a progression mission. Might want to check your status and or run another 10 data deliveries or something. It's still not working as intended AFAIK but at least I'm getting into the next rank.

Exploration always bothers me because if I go too far I risk a several day or week journey back. What if a cool patch or community event comes out? Sigh.

Repo Man

So I stopped playing for a while and when I tried to come back there were often little things gnawing at my experience so I sort of gave up on the game but as of yesterday I decided to give the game another shot and decided that I'm going back to the basics and starting from the beginning in an effort to re-learn the game.

The new mission system is a lot better I must say and so far I've managed to make a tiny bit of money from some simple space trucking which is what I want to do. I like the fact that I can take a mission, deliver the cargo to the destination and often there will be another mission at the destination taking me somewhere else. Sure the money earned is peanuts compared to what can be made but its something to keep me busy while I try and find a decent trade route of my own.

I got a few questions though.

Does Horizons offer anything for a fledgling space trucker ? I don't know if I want to buy an expansion if the content on offer isn't something I'm overly interested in or simply might not end up touching.

With regards to powerplay, I decided to deliver some garrison supplies to a system that was being fortified but the station in my powers HQ system only had 10 supplies which I delivered 8 jumps away. My reward was 1000 credits and 10 merits... how does this work ? Do my weekly wages go up based on my contribution as in merits earned or something? Seems a bit of a hassle for a measly grand in reward money.

In any case I'm retreading my baby steps at the moment. Just need a black baseball cap that says "Top Gun" in golden writing, some mirrored highway patrol man sun glasses and a white sleeveless vest with some stains and maybe a name tag that says "Big Earl" and I'll be ready to role play my way to riches.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The new mission system is a lot better I must say and so far I've managed to make a tiny bit of money from some simple space trucking which is what I want to do. I like the fact that I can take a mission, deliver the cargo to the destination and often there will be another mission at the destination taking me somewhere else. Sure the money earned is peanuts compared to what can be made but its something to keep me busy while I try and find a decent trade route of my own.

Lots of people play the game just to space truck! One word of advice though: you say the hauling missions offer peanuts for rewards, but if you keep working out of one system or even back and forth between a few over and over again you will gradually rank up in reputation with the factions in those systems, and as you rank up they start offering you better and higher paying missions. Once you get allied with a few factions you can actually make VERY good money simply space trucking around, especially once you get a ship with larger cargo capacity.

DrBo42

So I stopped playing for a while and when I tried to come back there were often little things gnawing at my experience so I sort of gave up on the game but as of yesterday I decided to give the game another shot and decided that I'm going back to the basics and starting from the beginning in an effort to re-learn the game.

I got a few questions though.

Does Horizons offer anything for a fledgling space trucker ? I don't know if I want to buy an expansion if the content on offer isn't something I'm overly interested in or simply might not end up touching.

With regards to powerplay, I decided to deliver some garrison supplies to a system that was being fortified but the station in my powers HQ system only had 10 supplies which I delivered 8 jumps away. My reward was 1000 credits and 10 merits... how does this work ? Do my weekly wages go up based on my contribution as in merits earned or something? Seems a bit of a hassle for a measly grand in reward money.

In any case I'm retreading my baby steps at the moment. Just need a black baseball cap that says "Top Gun" in golden writing, some mirrored highway patrol man sun glasses and a white sleeveless vest with some stains and maybe a name tag that says "Big Earl" and I'll be ready to role play my way to riches.
Powerplay is just about grinding merits to get into the next bracket of rewards the following week. Has a decay week to week as well.

As for Horizons with space trucking it doesn't add much of anything at the moment. Just the ability to take missions to bases on the surface. Or the ability to collect materials on the surface for Engineers (and Engineers themselves). 2.2 is going to include Passenger missions and ship deployed fighters which IMO should help large trading vessels defend themselves. Then 2.3 is multi-crew. I'd hold out on buying Horizons at the moment and check the thread in a month or so when we know more about 2.2.

Repo Man

Lots of people play the game just to space truck! One word of advice though: you say the hauling missions offer peanuts for rewards, but if you keep working out of one system or even back and forth between a few over and over again you will gradually rank up in reputation with the factions in those systems, and as you rank up they start offering you better and higher paying missions. Once you get allied with a few factions you can actually make VERY good money simply space trucking around, especially once you get a ship with larger cargo capacity.

Powerplay is just about grinding merits to get into the next bracket of rewards the following week. Has a decay week to week as well.

As for Horizons with space trucking it doesn't add much of anything at the moment. Just the ability to take missions to bases on the surface. Or the ability to collect materials on the surface for Engineers (and Engineers themselves). 2.2 is going to include Passenger missions and ship deployed fighters which IMO should help large trading vessels defend themselves. Then 2.3 is multi-crew. I'd hold out on buying Horizons at the moment and check the thread in a month or so when we know more about 2.2.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I might definately grind out my rep and see where it takes me and as for Horizon's, think I might wait it out a bit but at the same time £20 doesn't exactly break the bank either so we'll see. I did a tiny bit of reading on Powerplay and it seems like space truckers kinda get the shaft and combat is a far more efficient way of grinding out the merits but I haven't got a very good combat ship at the moment.

Might look into mining though as the mining missions seem to have pretty good payouts but ofcourse I don't know anything about it really. Mining was more of an afterthought at the time I last played ED properly but it seems to have had a bit of love since then.

Mengy

Might look into mining though as the mining missions seem to have pretty good payouts but ofcourse I don't know anything about it really. Mining was more of an afterthought at the time I last played ED properly but it seems to have had a bit of love since then.

I love mining personally and yeah the missions do give good payouts, but mining is time intensive. If earning credits fast is your goal then mining is still one of the worst ways to do it in the game, really only exploration is worse at making credits. If having fun making money is your goal then yeah mining can be a nice scenic way to do it. Trading missions are still far better at making money per hour though.

DrBo42

Some interesting stuff might be on the...Horizon... (I'll see myself out)

CCjUVEQ.jpg

DrBo42

If only it wasn't such a boring grind to get friendly with the engineers.

That and it's so vague you might end up wasting your time. Is it gain favor with X amount of engineers or Y specific engineer(s) to gain access to wave 2 of engineers in 2.2? No one knows. Not going to take the risk personally.

Yeah, that's exciting, but I'm not touching the Engineer grind until that patch drops. Late July/early August, was it?

I have to assume that the Engineers will be able to manufacture weapons that are effective against Thargoids. Probably gotta bring them alien materials.

JoeMartin

CCjUVEQ.jpg

I find it interesting that he says engineer mods aren't required.

They certainly aren't now, but when 2.1 launched and every NPC had ridiculous every-module-level-5-upgraded shenanigans going on they certainly were. And when they phase engineer mods back onto NPCs I'm certain they'll be relatively required again.

That and it's so vague you might end up wasting your time. Is it gain favor with X amount of engineers or Y specific engineer(s) to gain access to wave 2 of engineers in 2.2? No one knows. Not going to take the risk personally.

Eh, the ingame stuff leaves you wanting, but there are some excellent resources on engineers if you want to know how everything will pan out:

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers (most complete info on eng out there)
http://nosuchwebpage.com/index.php (Kornelius is actually the most helpful content producer - he puts up new videos up on youtube several times a week, actually plays the game well, and approaches everything very analytically, providing lots of hard numbers from testing that FDev does not)

Mengy

Eh, it’s just another hint that’s been dropped lately pointing towards Thargoids or other aliens coming for us all soon. The Tip Off missions have been strongly hinting at it since 2.1 came out, and several devs have hinted at “winter coming” soon. Drew is just suggesting that engineer weapons and defenses will make the alien combat easier, that’s all, and that players without engineer upgrades will have a more difficult time.

Because soon, I’m pretty sure that no matter where you fly in the galaxy, combat will be a constant threat. It’s what FDev wants and has always wanted I’m afraid. Every patch and major update has been gearing towards this. Hopefully I’m very wrong….

DrBo42

Eh, it’s just another hint that’s been dropped lately pointing towards Thargoids or other aliens coming for us all soon. The Tip Off missions have been strongly hinting at it since 2.1 came out, and several devs have hinted at “winter coming” soon. Drew is just suggesting that engineer weapons and defenses will make the alien combat easier, that’s all, and that players without engineer upgrades will have a more difficult time.

Because soon, I’m pretty sure that no matter where you fly in the galaxy, combat will be a constant threat. It’s what FDev wants and has always wanted I’m afraid. Every patch and major update has been gearing towards this. Hopefully I’m very wrong….

I welcome it. Would make exploration dangerous and require escorts.

SmartBase

Do you like constant inderdictions in the bubble? No? Well get ready for galaxy-wide interdictions!

DrBo42

Would be cool if during an invasion, explorers and smugglers had options to become information runners for enemy fleet movements. Maybe even find their staging areas or planetary FOBs for counter attack. I'm dying for a spy or recon type role in this game. So many possibilities.

Edit: Apparently the image above is only referencing the rift storyline, not the main one.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I just recently got back in to playing ED. This Sothis war sounds like a good chance to go make some coin. I guess have a long night of traveling ahead of me. I bet I have 100 jumps or so.

Anyone else in Sothis for the war? How's it going?

JoeMartin

Well normally Sothis/Ceos is ridiculously profitable without war. There's a recurring single jump trade mission that pays out 6-7 million + loads of ~100k data runs. Builds fed rep fast as hell too.

You can get some combat missions that pay out 10m+ in Sothis right now, but tbh ever since 2.1 dropped and NPCs became half competent pilots, CZs are a little too much without a wing. Eventually you'll get some unmanageable concetration of enemies shooting at you regardless of ship or fit and be forced off field.

DrBo42

Reminder kids, Lavecon is this weekend. Might get an announcement.

In other news it's finally done, Duke rank achieved. Now I have both a Corvette and Cutter with no further need to grind this terrible rep!

DrBo42

Gears are finally turning to nerf the heat special effects.

Sandro said:
Hello Commanders!

An update.

First, It's important to understand that this change primarily affects "big heat dealers", ships that stack up with many and/or powerful heat weapons. It's impact on more restrained loadouts is minimal to zero.

We're thinking about decreasing the maximum damage cap from heat delivered by weapons. Primarily this would affect weapons using Thermal Shock and Thermal Cascade. What the change would mean is that the maximum heat you could force a ship to would be lowered, probably to the point where hull damage would only occur from heavy, sustained heat delivery.

In addition, we're looking to reduce the amount of heat directly delivered via Thermal cascade by around fifteen to twenty percent, because missiles deal significant chuncks of heat damage at a time.

So this is a significant potential reduction of damage from heat weapons, but not one that we think will make heat weapons useless by any stretch of the imagination. The idea is just to soften the spike that heat damage currently provides.

I understand the frustration that comes with the tension between stability and improvements; we're quite cautious with changes in part for this very reason, it's never a call we make lightly. In this particular case, on balance, we think the change is worth the pain, as heat should still be a very effective weapon.

Pomerlaw

PC Powerplay interview with MB :

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/featu...te-dangerous-a-qa-with-michael-brookes,430534

PCPP: Lastly, and please pardon the easy pun, but is there anything on the horizon for Elite: Dangerous that you’d like to give commanders a small taste of?

MB: For me, the developing story that’s coming over the next few months is definitely something to be keeping an eye on. Shadowy figures are pushing the Federation and Empire towards war. Signs of alien life have emerged.

The Elite galaxy has been stable for centuries. That’s about to change.

Mengy

I hope this means more than "increase {conflict zone} by {1.85}"

I'm doubting it. FDev has been favoring the combat playstyle every since launch, every major update focuses on combat content, so I'm really doubting that the trend will be breaking anytime soon. War is coming to the bubble and aliens will be shooting at us all over the galaxy very soon.

And I'll probably start playing other games until they get off of this combat preference and start focusing on core content instead, stuff that actually adds gameplay to areas of the game OTHER than combat. I can always just skip expansions until one of them adds stuff to the game that interests me I suppose.

Trouble

Banned
Strange doings afoot this eve.

I stored my Anaconda at Sothis and grabbed an Eagle to run Federation data deliveries between Sothis and Ceos. I never got a promotion mission, but suddenly I'm a Petty office with 75% progression. :eek:

So anyways, the reason I stored the Anaconda was I had a 250k fine turn into a bounty (died with a full T6's capacity of delivery missions when I got interdicted by two pirates at once, story for another time), so I figured I'd just not fight interdictions and get some dogfighting in and not risk the almost 10 million cr rebuy on my Anaconda. So after I level I say fuck it, trade in the Eagle for a Sidewinder and drive it into the sun so I can stop the bounty hunters coming after me and get back in the Anaconda.

Then I respawn at Baker's Prospect, 477Ly away. Whaaaaat. Now I have to equip a ship that can make the trip and fly out to Sothis to get my Anaconda back.

E: Oh shit, it's because I took the free Sidewinder. I'm an idiot. :p

Pomerlaw

I'm doubting it. FDev has been favoring the combat playstyle every since launch, every major update focuses on combat content, so I'm really doubting that the trend will be breaking anytime soon. War is coming to the bubble and aliens will be shooting at us all over the galaxy very soon.

And I'll probably start playing other games until they get off of this combat preference and start focusing on core content instead, stuff that actually adds gameplay to areas of the game OTHER than combat. I can always just skip expansions until one of them adds stuff to the game that interests me I suppose.

You know I agree with you. Exploration is by far the thing that has the most potential in Elite. But we need atmo planets, life, things like that first. I'm sure it will come, but it is longer term.

Pomerlaw

Drew Wagar clarified more on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sg1fc/this_has_been_posted_to_facebook_drew_wagar/

"Without wanting to dash all the enthusiasm, these comments were made in the context of a discussion about the Rift mystery from my book, they don't apply to the entire ED storyline - which is trundling along quite happily without any help from me.
Engineers will help potential Rifters and that's what I was talking about.
Context is everything. No need to purchase more tinfoil at this stage. :) As you were."

Just got started with this (played very causally a few times before). Is there a good guide or videos that explain the economy stuff in depth. I've been mooching off of bounties in resource areas which has got me a Viper but I'm looking to get more in depth to make money.

JoeMartin

http://inara.cz/galaxy/ - Most complete source of Elite reference info, general meeting ground for friends/wings
https://eddb.io/ - Tool for locating things, be it ships, modules, commodities, or RESs, ridiculously useful
http://nosuchwebpage.com/ - Guy does lots of testing to provide numbers where FDev doesn't
http://ayashi.net/elite/edh-planetmats.html - Database of which planets have which metals, saves time if you're looking specific
http://wavescanner.net/ - How the different wave scanner signatures sound and what they indicate, if you're looking specific
https://coriolis.io/ - Ship fitting tool, always fit it up here first to get exacting costs and power management data
http://www.elitegalaxyonline.com/ - Reference for where the exploration community has gone/is going and provides useful insight for how to get out/in the bubble safely

I would also recommend getting Discord and getting on the official Elite server - you don't even need to voice chat, most people don't, but it's a huge chat server with many knowledgeable people able to answer any questions you have in realtime.

Other than this, lots of googlefu to find what you're looking for.

JoeMartin

ALSO

Most important thing new people don't know:

You get 15% off all ships and modules in Li Yong-Rui controlled/exploited systems (you don't even have to be pledged to him, nor does it matter if you're pledged to completely different powerplay faction). Always always always use eddb to find the nearest LYR system for large purchases, as it saves initially and lowers the insurance cost.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Well the civil war in Sothis appears to be coming to an end with a Fed victory.

I flew out there with a Viper mk4 and 60k credits. I return with an AspE and 7m. Sothis was kind to me.

Trouble

Banned
Thanks! Just what I was looking for. The ship outfitting site is a godsend.

eddb.io is super handy too, especially when you need to find the specific parts that you want to install.

Speaking of, do you guys set up camp somewhere to store ships? I'm thinking of just being unoriginal and doing it in Sol. I'm probably going to drop about 120 mil on a nicely kitted Python tomorrow so I can start doing other stuff than Space Truckin' from time to time.

P.S. Critique my build y'all.

Top Bottom