• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
After enjoying time in No Man's Sky, I wanted to come back to Elite Dangerous on my Vive but I'm getting this weird bug where graphic stuff just disappears depending on angle I look. Even the distant stars in the galaxy disappear and it's completely black. When I look an inch to the right it appears then back it disappears again.

This happens for everything besides the ship cockpit, I crashed into a huge asteroid that was literally invisible. Also I tried visiting a planet and I couldn't see it till I was basically on it, all I saw was space. Pretty annoying I reinstalled but it still happens. Guess I'll have to go back to monitor if I want to play this again.

Weird. I've been playing a lot of ED with the Vive and haven't experienced anything like what you are describing. I hope you can figure it out... there is no way I could go back to a monitor for ED.

derFeef

Weird. I've been playing a lot of ED with the Vive and haven't experienced anything like what you are describing. I hope you can figure it out... there is no way I could go back to a monitor for ED.

And for me it just does not click with the Vive. The low res and graphical glitches are just too much for me. Not to mention IF I play ED then for some larger amound of time, and the Vive is not really comfortable for >1hour use. :(

Staab

What the hell ?
So they're trying to cram in 2.3 and 2.4 within two months of each other ???
Yeah.....
Looks like they'll just move away from 1 season = more or less 1 year.
Oh well !

DrBo42

What the hell ?
So they're trying to cram in 2.3 and 2.4 within two months of each other ???
Yeah.....
Looks like they'll just move away from 1 season = more or less 1 year.
Oh well !

I imagine they'll either be combined or 2.4 will move to next year.

Jimrpg

Pretty sure Season 3 will still come in the new year. They need cash flow, no SC ship.jpeg money.

The way it's going probably by June next year then.

They got that roller coaster game to bring in dollars so ED can take a little bit of a delay.

DrBo42

Station interface has changed a bit, nicer font.

Engaging hyperdrive now tells you in the upper right what the security level of the destination system is. Rad!

Hyperspace animation now has the destination star at the end of the tunnel complete with correct star class/color. Rad!

LeBart

Station interface has changed a bit, nicer font.

Engaging hyperdrive now tells you in the upper right what the security level of the destination system is. Rad!

Hyperspace animation now has the destination star at the end of the tunnel complete with correct star class/color. Rad!
It looked like the ship automatically pointed towards the star before jumping, too.

I love those little changes.

Staab

Guys, holy shit.
We have route filters now !
Filters for pretty much anything, dynamically recalculating routes...
(including scoopable stars, security, economy type,...)

So i'm currently rocking a Viper MK3, but I also have my Sidewinder in storage. If I wanted to try out mining or exploration, could I outfit my Viper for that? Or would I be better served by saving up for a ship that suits those activities better?

The Viper just doesn't have enough modules to do anything except be a short-range fighter.

I've not kept up to date with the small ships, but the Cobra Mk3 was the ultimate cheap jack-of-all-trades ship for trying out different aspects of the game. Good jump range (when upgraded), good combat (not quite as good as a Viper), very fast (can outrun anything you can't outfight), lots of module space to upgrade however you want.

I kept upgrading my Cobra (instead of switching to a Diamondback or whatever) because it seemed better than most other ships in the price range. I still have it stashed away somewhere and it's worth about 8 million with all the A-grade stuff I put in it.

DrBo42

Adding geological features like fissures and other venting features etc and treating them as exploration additions. In reality they seem to be just more rocks to shoot at for materials. At least they're adding something to the surface...I guess.

LeBart

Adding geological features like fissures and other venting features etc and treating them as exploration additions. In reality they seem to be just more rocks to shoot at for materials. At least they're adding something to the surface...I guess.

This is what makes the most sense for barren planets though. I know you meant that it's not what the game actually needs to flesh out exploration, but it's not the focus of the update.
Plus the lack of intersting geological features is mainly responsible for planets feeling like nothing more than heightmaps at the moment, so I'd be happy even if it was just a cosmetic thing.

DrBo42

This is what makes the most sense for barren planets though. I know you meant that it's not what the game actually needs to flesh out exploration, but it's not the focus of the update.
Plus the lack of intersting geological features is mainly responsible for planets feeling like nothing more than heightmaps at the moment, so I'd be happy even if it was just a cosmetic thing.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I'm just a little triggered by them saying it's an exploration addition. Which is true in the most basic almost political sense. If they have other additions to exploration to announce or show at some point they really should have kept that slide for that moment rather than a "Oh and exploration is getting some love too!" type of bs in a completely unrelated stream. /rant

DrBo42

I doubt that'll happen. I also don't really want it to happen because I really want space legs.

Yep, space legs are a much, much higher priority. Getting people to feel like the universe and your ship is finally lived in is far more important than heat effects on your ship as you burn through the atmosphere etc. Game really needs a social space for people to meet and hang out and npcs interacting, trading, living.

adburns

What's the state of the game at the moment? I haven't played it for around a year as I just found it boring. Are the quest more varied/more interesting now or is it still just a grind for better ships etc?

Thanks

DrBo42

What's the state of the game at the moment? I haven't played it for around a year as I just found it boring. Are the quest more varied/more interesting now or is it still just a grind for better ships etc?

Thanks

Still a grind for better ships and now better equipment via Engineers. If you need strict goals driving you forward, that is(most do as the gameplay loop isn't quite there yet). We're slowly getting to the point where the framework is mostly complete for the most basic foundations and content will be plugged in "Soon". Still multiple expansions before we really get there IMO. Maybe next season.

As for "immediate" release tourism/passenger missions and ship launched fighters in October.

Yep, space legs are a much, much higher priority. Getting people to feel like the universe and your ship is finally lived in is far more important than heat effects on your ship as you burn through the atmosphere etc. Game really needs a social space for people to meet and hang out and npcs interacting, trading, living.
This. Completely agree. Landing on rocky worlds pulled in a couple of my friends into buying the game, but the rest of them who say they are interested aren't going to make the dive in until we can walk around or at least have more control over our characters and interacting with other players.

DrBo42

Spoilers

Fighters:

Fighters can be controlled by player or AI pilots you can hire.
max. 10 fighters in hangar
3 fighters available: F63 Condor, Imperial Fighter, new Fighter Taipan (most powerful of them)

Stations:

new civilian stations
military installations
shipyards

Transport missions:

passengers
VIPs, VIPs demand special treatment. If they aren't happy with your performance they might eject with a rescue capsule.
new ship Beluga liner
only Beluga liner & Orca can be equipped with luxury compartments

Misc:

automatic ship transfers between stations
fines can be payed over distance
Thargoids?

We'll get more information about aliens on Sunday.

Xater

So should I pledge allegiance to someone right away or wait until I am better equipped? I am currently doing a lot of trading with my Adder. Thought about maybe joining the second highest faction to get some of those trade bonuses. Is that a good idea?

DrBo42

So should I pledge allegiance to someone right away or wait until I am better equipped? I am currently doing a lot of trading with my Adder. Thought about maybe joining the second highest faction to get some of those trade bonuses. Is that a good idea?
Most of us don't fuck with powerplay due to the annoyance of interdictions. That and the bonuses and merit grind per week is rough. Just make sure those trade bonuses aren't just passive in that powers space compared to something you need to achieve via merit level. Someone here should know more.

I've yet to pledge to anyone. I'm pretty content just hauling stuff around and making quick cash for the moment, as I'm building a bank to fund my future deep exploration trips.

zorbsie

Automatic ship transfers is huge. Now they just need to add storage for modules and commodities and I can set up a "home base". Wanted more multiplayer mission content to come out, but happy with this stuff for now. Route planner also looks really useful.

Automatic ship transfers is huge. Now they just need to add storage for modules and commodities and I can set up a "home base". Wanted more multiplayer mission content to come out, but happy with this stuff for now. Route planner also looks really useful.

Ship transfer is huge. Definitely agree about storage... Would be nice to have that as well. Some sort of garage or module locker system.

I joined Aisling Duval after I got my Imperial Courier and was more than able to handle any power play AI interceptions. Being part of a power and collecting merit provides you with (most of the time) pretty cool equipment (Aisling's Prismatic Shields are awesome, especially with the shield heavy Imperial ships), nice bonuses (like higher bounty payout) and can be very fun from a roleplaying perspective (main reason I joined Aisling) and a pretty hefty payout a week or two later if you decide to put in even a few hours of earning merit. If you're willing to coordinate yourself with the active powerplay playerbase (each faction has it's own subreddit, that's a good starting point) you'll have plenty to do and keep yourself motivated in the game outside of the usual grinding/dicking around. Joining PP also provides you with additional high quality ship conflict zones for undermining/earning merit depending on the PP power.

That said you'll be constantly intercepted from then on, so if you're primarily a miner or trader than joining a faction is pretty bad news unless you are a combat trader (e.g. Cobra MK3 or Imperial Clipper or similar ships, no Type-6/7/9 Space trucks) or want some action to spice things up and free merits and bounty cash. You'll will probably be attacked by players in Federation/Empire space if you joined a power of the opposing nation, though you can usually talk yourself in most situations (having a high bounty or facing the occasional rare psychotic mass murdering maniac are much more problematic).

In any way it's definitely not something you want to do in an Adder. If you're in a combat capable Cobra Mk3, Viper Mk.4 (perhaps even a MK3 or Imperial Eagle if you are a really good in combat) or above ship then you'll be fine if you like frequent combat.

Xater

I joined Aisling Duval after I got my Imperial Courier and was more than able to handle any power play AI interceptions. Being part of a power and collecting merit provides you with (most of the time) pretty cool equipment (Aisling's Prismatic Shields are awesome, especially with the shield heavy Imperial ships), nice bonuses (like higher bounty payout) and can be very fun from a roleplaying perspective (main reason I joined Aisling) and a pretty hefty payout a week or two later if you decide to put in even a few hours of earning merit. If you're willing to coordinate yourself with the active powerplay playerbase (each faction has it's own subreddit, that's a good starting point) you'll have plenty to do and keep yourself motivated in the game outside of the usual grinding/dicking around. Joining PP also provides you with additional high quality ship conflict zones for undermining/earning merit depending on the PP power.

That said you'll be constantly intercepted from then on, so if you're primarily a miner or trader than joining a faction is pretty bad news unless you are a combat trader (e.g. Cobra MK3 or Imperial Clipper or similar ships, no Type-6/7/9 Space trucks) or want some action to spice things up. You'll will probably be attacked by players in Federation/Empire space if you joined a power of the opposing nation, though you can usually talk yourself in most situations (having a high bounty or facing the occasional rare psychotic mass murdering maniac are much more problematic).

In any way it's definitely not something you want to do in an Adder. If you're in a combat capable Cobra Mk3, Viper Mk.4 (perhaps even a MK3 or Imperial Eagle if you are a really good in combat) or above ship then you'll be fine if you like frequent combat.

Currently I only collect the occasional bounty at a nav point. My plan was to save up for a Cobra and then get more involved in fighting. Maybe that is the point I should wait for before I join a faction.

StonedRider

Yeeah, module storage would be very useful! I've bought another Asp just to store my upgraded A6 shield generator, because I do not need it in exploration version of the ship. Actually, I do not need it at all on the Asp, but upgrade is too good to sell it.

As for fighers, will NPC ships have this fighters too? You engage wanted NPC Anaconda, it unexpectedly launches 5 fighters and you are fucked.

What if you take control of fighter and your mother ship is destroyed?

Currently I only collect the occasional bounty at a nav point. My plan was to save up for a Cobra MKIV and then get more involved in fighting. Maybe that is the point I should wait for before I join a faction.
If you want to get into combat as your primary focus then I'd rather pick a Viper MK 3 ( Cobra MK4 is a jack of all trades master of none kinda ship that has much weaker shields and unlike the Cobra MK3 finds it much harder to flee from things it can't face. It is also much, much more expensive to fully upgrade than the Viper equivalent (Viper MK4)). Being able to buy a new ship means jack when you can't upgrade it to decent levels (A/B class on essential components, C on rest) right away due to lack of funds, so I would really advice against jumping to either a Viper or Cobra MK4 right away.

If you want to do some trading or even better smuggling with the occasional nav beacon action then the Cobra is alright.

The ideal progression for combat heavy players is Sidewinder/Eagle-> (Imperial Eagle)/Viper Mk3 -> Viper MK 4/(Diamondback Explorer) -> Imperial Courier/Vulture (though vulture costs TWICE as much as the Courier to fully upgrade if you can deal with the Empire reputation requirement, 20 instead of 10 millions, and the Courier is far more fun to play IMO).

Xater

If you want to get into combat as your primary focus then I'd rather pick a Viper MK 3 ( Cobra MK4 is a jack of all trades master of none kinda ship that has much weaker shields and unlike the Cobra MK3 finds it much harder to flee from things it can't face. It is also much, much more expensive to fully upgrade than the Viper equivalent (Viper MK4)). Being able to buy a new ship means jack when you can't upgrade it to decent levels (A/B class on essential components, C on rest) right away due to lack of funds, so I would really advice against jumping to either a Viper or Cobra MK4 right away.

If you want to do some trading or even better smuggling with the occasional nav beacon action then the Cobra is alright.

The ideal progression for combat heavy players is Sidewinder/Eagle-> (Imperial Eagle)/Viper Mk3 -> Viper MK 4/(Diamondback Explorer) -> Imperial Courier/Vulture (though vulture costs TWICE as much as the Courier to fully upgrade if you can deal with the Empire reputation requirement, 20 instead of 10 millions, and the Courier is far more fun to play IMO).

Considering most of my trading has been data and not cargo (for some reason I got great deals on those missions where I am at), maybe he Viper MK3 would be the better choice. Then I could do more combat which I do want.

Considering most of my trading has been data and not cargo (for some reason I got great deals on those missions where I am at), maybe he Viper MK3 would be the better choice. Then I could do more combat which I do want.

Cobra MK III is very similar in combat capabilities, with worse hardpoint placement if you are using fixed weapons but is much more flexible. It's a huge game changer early game. Viper Mk III is cheaper and better shields but it is a pure combat ship. Limited internals and limited jump range.

Also, Live Stream started.

derFeef

I will check my money today. I was saving up for a Diamondback Explorer. I just love that Space Truck feeling that ship has - no idea if it's an actually worthwhile ship, hehe.

Xater

Cobra MK III is very similar in combat capabilities, with worse hardpoint placement if you are using fixed weapons but is much more flexible. It's a huge game changer early game. Viper Mk III is cheaper and better shields but it is a pure combat ship. Limited internals and limited jump range.

Also, Live Stream started.

It's also 3 times more expansive, so fitting that thing right away would be a challenge. Well I could just get it and then do more trading before I can fit it. So far I was able to avoid combat during my trade missions.

How would people here fit a Cobra MK III that is used for trading missions and some combat?

Top Bottom