• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

bFzlUWDh.jpg

From the video

bFzlUWDh.jpg

From the video

Looks like that's in the art book, too.

lKaEgBK.png

Art book may have some secrets in it... (via reddit)

If I'm in one of those new liners and feel that I'm out gunned, I can't picture a situation where I feel like I'm better off launching a little fighter and standing my ground instead of just trying to escape. If I'm mass locked and just can't get away, I don't see the little fighter tipping the scales in my favor. Maybe if you have 5.

I am hoping they use the Engineers in a way that makes small fighters useful. A small AI fighter could be useful in harassing an enemy as you try to get away, particularly if it has hardpoints equipped with disruptive weapons.

I am hoping they use the Engineers in a way that makes small fighters useful. A small AI fighter could be useful in harassing an enemy as you try to get away, particularly if it has hardpoints equipped with disruptive weapons.

Yeah something like that would make sense. Something that temporarily disabled or at least slowed down a pursuer would be helpful for escape and the fighter would just be abandoned I guess. If you fly it yourself I hope that means that it's flown remotely.

I use my Anaconda for mining. It would be cool if I could use the secondary fighter for more than just combat but I'm not sure what they would do. I like the ideas brought up earlier by Dubbedinenglish, basically a fast, nimble alternative to the SRV for some planet surface stuff.

DrBo42

New fighter looks interesting. Kinda Osprey-like in the way it looks to fold up. Ugly but neat. Definitely curious how they're going to balance these fighters to not be paper airplanes in combat. I'd imagine for your main ship, the AI level associated with your combat rank takes over when you deploy in a fighter. So if you're Elite, your ship is now an Elite AI etc.

New interiors look nice. Externals I hope are equally modular and varied. Hopefully they're pushing more life into the game and not just more framework.

Serrato

Crew tab... for the Crew update?

Also... if they add the Thargoids (or whatever they are called), maybe explorers will need to equip guns from now on.

If I'm in one of those new liners and feel that I'm out gunned, I can't picture a situation where I feel like I'm better off launching a little fighter and standing my ground instead of just trying to escape. If I'm mass locked and just can't get away, I don't see the little fighter tipping the scales in my favor. Maybe if you have 5.
Yep, that's why I was thinking about them adding a invicibility or something like this :( Let's hope not.

joecanada

So I picked up the base game last night and I spent 6 hours just figuring it all out and getting comfortable with flying.

It's really a beautiful game and probably the most immersed ive been in a game in a long time.

However I don't really want to spend a lot of time mining or trading or doing transport missions.

I just want to do enough to build a bank to start shooting people down. What is the best way to go about doing this? Also I have some friends who are interested as well, how much group content is there? Can we run missions together?

Hey I just started too but I can help you out a bit... I found the easiest way to make money initially is just use your crappy sidewinder and run the best boom data missions as close to you (or close to the star to limit travel lol) as you can, you can easily make your first few hundred grand this way....
Then you could do one of two things... I bought an eagle because its cheap and versatile, however you really want to get better at flying as its a paper plane (little armour), this way you can continue to make boom data or small cargo runs plus do some fighting.
by far the easiest fights are at nav beacons, go there and hang out with federation "police" and see who they shoot at, and help them out. or find a wanted ship and start shooting them, the federation pilots will help you out but be sure to stay defensive as the wanted may focus on you first if you do this.... you will then get some decent wanted bounties...
I then bought a viper MKIII, which is a beast.... I would have skipped the eagle if I had tried this one first... its got more firepower, more armor, more everything.... you can get about 10ly jump drive on it which is sufficient .... with this thing I run rare data missions or salvage, but now I can do 100k bounties or just hang out and blast people at nav beacons.
remember though more expensive ships = more insurance money!!!

or a cheap alternative if you can bear down and run cargo is just to grab a cheap ass hauler and just do cargo missions for a few days and bring that bank up.... I still have one for the odd times I want to do something long range... it goes 20 ly jumps and costs like 3k to replace ! love that piece of junk, just take the weapons right off lol and try not to be interdicted.
hint - if you go this route always check the "penalty" for failing a mission, as if you are interdicted you will generally fail it.

as for coop play I believe you can but haven't tried yet.

Reckheim

Either this or SC is going to give us that. Huge promises... but I sitll believe in it. Someday... some day. *dreams*

I personally have more faith in Frontier, they might be taking it slow but they are delivering on pretty much everything they said would be in the game eventually.

Xater

Heh I actually just discovered a bunch of stuff while doing some trading missions. Didn't even need to go out of my way for that.

I personally have more faith in Frontier, they might be taking it slow but they are delivering on pretty much everything they said would be in the game eventually.
I have faith in both. Literally the only two games with the backing and man power to pull this off sooner rather then later.

As someone who is in both Frontier can actually build around good gameplay. Outside of the technical aspect I don't think Roberts and co. know how to make a good game. Frontier is actually building from the core outward, while CIG is adding everything they can think of and wondering how they fit later.

TheRed

After enjoying time in No Man's Sky, I wanted to come back to Elite Dangerous on my Vive but I'm getting this weird bug where graphic stuff just disappears depending on angle I look. Even the distant stars in the galaxy disappear and it's completely black. When I look an inch to the right it appears then back it disappears again.

This happens for everything besides the ship cockpit, I crashed into a huge asteroid that was literally invisible. Also I tried visiting a planet and I couldn't see it till I was basically on it, all I saw was space. Pretty annoying I reinstalled but it still happens. Guess I'll have to go back to monitor if I want to play this again.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hey I just started too but I can help you out a bit... I found the easiest way to make money initially is just use your crappy sidewinder and run the best boom data missions as close to you (or close to the star to limit travel lol) as you can, you can easily make your first few hundred grand this way....
Then you could do one of two things... I bought an eagle because its cheap and versatile, however you really want to get better at flying as its a paper plane (little armour), this way you can continue to make boom data or small cargo runs plus do some fighting.
by far the easiest fights are at nav beacons, go there and hang out with federation "police" and see who they shoot at, and help them out. or find a wanted ship and start shooting them, the federation pilots will help you out but be sure to stay defensive as the wanted may focus on you first if you do this.... you will then get some decent wanted bounties...
I then bought a viper MKIII, which is a beast.... I would have skipped the eagle if I had tried this one first... its got more firepower, more armor, more everything.... you can get about 10ly jump drive on it which is sufficient .... with this thing I run rare data missions or salvage, but now I can do 100k bounties or just hang out and blast people at nav beacons.
remember though more expensive ships = more insurance money!!!

or a cheap alternative if you can bear down and run cargo is just to grab a cheap ass hauler and just do cargo missions for a few days and bring that bank up.... I still have one for the odd times I want to do something long range... it goes 20 ly jumps and costs like 3k to replace ! love that piece of junk, just take the weapons right off lol and try not to be interdicted.
hint - if you go this route always check the "penalty" for failing a mission, as if you are interdicted you will generally fail it.

as for coop play I believe you can but haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the advice! I have sunk like 18hrs so far into it because just flying the ship is a total dream. The sim aspects of the game are just awesome. I did actually start just doing tons of data hauling missions in federation space. I tried a pirate killing mission but none showed up at the nav point, do i need to wait more or use an interdiction tool to pull em out of supercruise?

I am just really exploring all aspects of the game, I noticed in the system map it tells you what the stations are importing so i made sure to grab those items before departing on a data delivery mission for a few extra bux.

Next I think ill try mining.

joecanada

Thanks for the advice! I have sunk like 18hrs so far into it because just flying the ship is a total dream. The sim aspects of the game are just awesome. I did actually start just doing tons of data hauling missions in federation space. I tried a pirate killing mission but none showed up at the nav point, do i need to wait more or use an interdiction tool to pull em out of supercruise?

I am just really exploring all aspects of the game, I noticed in the system map it tells you what the stations are importing so i made sure to grab those items before departing on a data delivery mission for a few extra bux.

Next I think ill try mining.

The bounties and rare data recovery are a bit weird . You have to note the time they are around. Thankfully they sometimes show up early ... I Haven't had to pull them out of super cruise yet actually just go to nav beacon and scan it and they should update you with a location. Say a planet ... Then you go there and scan again and it will say mission data received and you get the blue update location.... Sometimes you may have to circle a planet ... But the times I supercruised there and came out he was there just waiting basically. I think some missions make you scan or wait for updates repeatedly because last night I did a data recovery in which I had to scan nav beacon for location, then scan planet orbit for location, then scan data ... It was only partial. Then I waited got another update , had to go to another planet, scan and pick up illicit data cargo.
So yeah when in doubt scan and wait for updates ... I dogfight at nav beacon while waiting sometimes but don't die mid mission!

iFirez

Holy shit I just got a 5B fuel scoop and it's beyond obnoxious. Can't even imagine how fast the next one up must be.

65% heat
494.00/s
Wow, I scoop at 75/s and I thought that was good. I need to get my ass to a system with better tech and buy me some upgrades.

Well that was short lived lol. Found a 5A on one of my Obsidian Orbital runs (I'm sorry I forget the name the of station it was) and it scoops at

63%
577.00/s

Unfuckingreal. Trading in my 5B left it at just over a 4mil purchase. But I'd say worth it.

joecanada

Well that was short lived lol. Found a 5A on one of my Obsidian Orbital runs (I'm sorry I forget the name the of station it was) and it scoops at

63%
577.00/s

Unfuckingreal. Trading in my 5B left it at just over a 4mil purchase. But I'd say worth it.

holy shit. is it worth it for the weight though or is it weigh not much? I gotta get my ass to a better system. holed up in 42 Aquilae, Seliancien too long.

can anyone give a brief overview how pledging allegiance to a faction works? I did it but have no idea why lol

holy shit. is it worth it for the weight though or is it weigh not much? I gotta get my ass to a better system. holed up in 42 Aquilae, Seliancien too long.
No difference in weight between the 5b and 5a. Just the massive price differential. I'm currently in an aspE doing delivery runs. After one jump I can refill in about 4 seconds lol.

My current jump range is 28.68LY/35.66LY
(48/72 cargo slots filled atm).

Finally sold all the exploration data from my trip to Beagle Point.

49,036,037 Credits total and that's with only bonging most systems. I only detail scanned Earth Likes, Water Worlds, Neutron Stars, White Dwarfs and stuff that was worth it.

Averaged about 55 seconds per system when I was just jumping through. Jump in, Fuel Scoop, Jump out.

It was enough to get me to Grade 5 Unlocks with BOTH Farseer and Martuuk.

So i'm currently rocking a Viper MK3, but I also have my Sidewinder in storage. If I wanted to try out mining or exploration, could I outfit my Viper for that? Or would I be better served by saving up for a ship that suits those activities better?

mnannola

Thought y'all may be interested in these images from the "Future of ED" section of the art book.

That storm looks like how I would imagine gas giants like Jupiter being. Would love for that to be in the game, and to have some super high risk / high reward reason for going into that craziness.

Dineren

Banned
So i'm currently rocking a Viper MK3, but I also have my Sidewinder in storage. If I wanted to try out mining or exploration, could I outfit my Viper for that? Or would I be better served by saving up for a ship that suits those activities better?

I'd personally use the sidewinder, with some upgrades it is pretty decent for exploration and trading. I used it to get an Asp pretty quickly. In fact I kind of regret switching so fast, I was able to make a lot of money with the sidewinder and the insurance costs were tiny.

Edit: Sorry I was wrong, it was the Cobra mk3 I used to get the asp. I grinded with the sidewinder to get that and went from there.

Top Bottom