• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

kvk1

I'm actually super excited for passenger transport, really hope they do it right.

I spent a large portion of my youth doing pax-ops in games like FSX.

I got my ASP Explorer/Smuggler to 40 LY full tank, 48 LY max and that's with a ton of stuff I don't need on board that I used to help with collecting resources and a bunch of extra fuel tanks and full weapon load out. I'm going to strip it down to an Explorer load out and see where it ends up.

Reckheim

I got my ASP Explorer/Smuggler to 40 LY full tank, 48 LY max and that's with a ton of stuff I don't need on board that I used to help with collecting resources and a bunch of extra fuel tanks and full weapon load out. I'm going to strip it down to an Explorer load out and see where it ends up.

Man, i'm aching to go exploring with my ASP as well but I am worried they are going to release something exploration related soon and I don't want to be on the other side of the galaxy when that happens.

TheExodu5

Banned
So does everyone start out near Eranin?

Thinking of making the trek to Sol since it's not too far away. How do I get a Sol system permit?

Man, i'm aching to go exploring with my ASP as well but I am worried they are going to release something exploration related soon and I don't want to be on the other side of the galaxy when that happens.
Yeah I'm sticking to mostly short burst trips for exploration data for quick cash. Waiting for Gamescom announcements before I set off on another lengthy journey.

E-flux

So does everyone start out near Eranin?

Thinking of making the trek to Sol since it's not too far away. How do I get a Sol system permit?

You need to rank up federation to get the permit, if i remember right you need to be a rank of petty officer to gain access to our solar system.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I picked up the base game last night and I spent 6 hours just figuring it all out and getting comfortable with flying.

It's really a beautiful game and probably the most immersed ive been in a game in a long time.

However I don't really want to spend a lot of time mining or trading or doing transport missions.

I just want to do enough to build a bank to start shooting people down. What is the best way to go about doing this? Also I have some friends who are interested as well, how much group content is there? Can we run missions together?

Reckheim

Livestream Schedule.

We've got loads of exciting new things to share with you, and will be streaming to you live from the Koelnmesse, Cologne over the week, be sure to tune in Thursday through Sunday from 10:00 CET and 14:30 CET

You'll be getting daily updates on all the exciting news with a bumper edition of the Newsletter on Monday, so there's plenty for you to get excited about.

That's it - it's quite simple! The streams will begin at the times listed above starting on Thursday and ending on Sunday. There will be lots of opportunities for you to ask questions as we'll be setting up a forum Q&A posts at the end of each day. We'll then try to answer as many questions as possible in a segment the following day.

We'll be giving away incredible prizes every day including the chance to name your own star system, Thurstmaster joysticks, and other in-game unique items you can't get hold of anywhere else.

The streams will then automatically be uploaded to YouTube to watch afterwards, and a separate Gamescom 2016 playlist will be made containing some of the snippets shown throughout the day.

Can't wait to see as many of you as possible there.

Ed, Bo, Zac, Dale and Brett - on behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team

youtube.com/frontierdevelopments/live

https://community.elitedangerous.com/gamescom2016

DrBo42

10:00 - 12:00 CEST Elite Dangerous
12:00 - 13:00 CEST Planet Coaster Developer Streams
13:00 - 14:30 CEST Planet Coaster Community Streams
14:30 - 16:00 CEST Elite Dangerous
16:00 - 18:00 CEST Planet Coaster Community Streams

No idea why they're doing it this way but FD gonna FD.

I'm interested what they are doing with those small ships. If you are in a fight and using those instead, the enemy is laughing out loud I guess. But perhaps, if done right a Condor is frightening with its speed.

Xater

Bought the complete package yesterday on Xbox One. I needed my space sim fix. It has been so long. My last one might have been Freelancer now that I think about it.

I'm enjoying it. It's not as hard to get into as some people seem to suggest. Bought a new ship and I am now looking for better Pulse Lasers. I am finding all kinds of weapons right now except those. Damn it!

elyetis

I'm interested what they are doing with those small ships. If you are in a fight and using those instead, the enemy is laughing out loud I guess. But perhaps, if done right a Condor is frightening with its speed.
Don't know about pvp thought I doubt it's really that different, but the game doesn't really reward speed in pve when it comes to fighting.

Don't know about pvp thought I doubt it's really that different, but the game doesn't really reward speed in pve when it comes to fighting.
perhaps they make the main ship invincible for a short period of time. And/or they make the Condor ships so cold you cannot use gimballed/turret on them and then they are indeed a threat.

la_briola

Bought the complete package yesterday on Xbox One. I needed my space sim fix. It has been so long. My last one might have been Freelancer now that I think about it.

I'm enjoying it. It's not as hard to get into as some people seem to suggest. Bought a new ship and I am now looking for better Pulse Lasers. I am finding all kinds of weapons right now except those. Damn it!

Maybe have a look here: http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting

elyetis

perhaps they make the main ship invincible for a short period of time. And/or they make the Condor ships so cold you cannot use gimballed/turret on them and then they are indeed a threat.
I hope it will be an improvement for all small ships, not only something trying to make them viable when they are launched from a bigger ship. I don't want something introduced only to be so badly balanced it doesn't make much sense to use it, which is kind of a recurring feeling for me with ED.

I never could quite wrap my head around how ship launched fighters would work in the game as it is. Those fighters are a lot of fun to fly but they have very little fire power and no survivability. Even in a multi-crew situation, you'd probably be better off with your friend in a sidewinder. Maybe they'll surprise with something like exploration purposes for a small ship. Add exploration elements to planetary rings that only a smaller ships can access. I'm very curious how they will make them viable and not a novelty.

I could see myself using a smaller ship for a high gravity world. Flying larger ships around heavy planets can be pretty cumbersome, so if I could just leave my larger ships in orbit and head to the surface with a ship launched craft that could be a tad more convenient.

la_briola

Wait for a single hard point there is nothing better than 1G burst lasers? That would mean it's only them being gimballed which would be the upgrade. What would be a better choice for 2 single hardpoints in an early ship? I have an Adder.

Best site for outfitting/making a build: https://coriolis.io/outfit/adder

The Adder has three hardpoints, one medium sized and two small.

If your aim is good/decent, try a 2C Plasma Accelerator in your medium slot, but it is quite expensive.

I never had a Adder, maybe wait for someone else to answer.

Ceos is down, fyi. Someone or someones dumped some UAs there and now services are offline. Sothis is still okay. There's some organizing of folks to bring in meta-alloys but for now Ceos is a husk.

Reckheim

Well that grounds expectations.

That's just 2.2, they didn't promise anything beyond what they are showing. Additionally they are introducing Thargoid space ships which as far as i know was never planned for 2.2.

Not that they wont show some early footage for 2.3/2.4 they just probably wont go into detail.

I never could quite wrap my head around how ship launched fighters would work in the game as it is. Those fighters are a lot of fun to fly but they have very little fire power and no survivability. Even in a multi-crew situation, you'd probably be better off with your friend in a sidewinder. Maybe they'll surprise with something like exploration purposes for a small ship. Add exploration elements to planetary rings that only a smaller ships can access. I'm very curious how they will make them viable and not a novelty.

Hopefully more than fighters. A snub for surface runs for cargo/rover, a drone for repairs etc.

ZfQ3zXz.gif

Satisfying.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
After the disappointment of NMS I'm strongly considering getting back into Elite hard.

Gotta get my space fix from somewhere and it looks like there's been a lot of changes since I last touched it.

Xater

I have a question about exploration. So far it seems pointless to me, or rather futile. Everywhere I go everything has already been discovered. Is that stuff persistent, which would mean I can only really do exploration once I am able to venture deeper into the galaxy?

Sounds like a solid update so far

I have a question about exploration. So far it seems pointless to me, or rather futile. Everywhere I go everything has already been discovered. Is that stuff persistent, which would mean I can only really do exploration once I am able to venture deeper into the galaxy?

You have to go further out. Most of everything inside the bubble has been discovered already but you can still use that data to sell for quick cash. But if you want to be the first... You have to do some traveling.

Exploration wouldn't be something you do until you are ready to go far outside of the inhabited bubble, the closer to the inhabited bubble you are the more likely it has already been discovered. There are 400 billion stars and 100 billion systems, so there will always be more systems to discover.

Top Bottom