• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

uberluigi

Banned
Also note that maneuvering is based heavily on your current ship speed. Pay attention to the blue section on your throttle and adjust your speed up and down to optimize ship maneuvering, also using roll + pitch is almost always faster than using yaw or pitch alone. I'm no expert though, there are lots of youtube videos by people that actually know how to fly.

Any YouTube videos you recommend watching?

JambiBum

upgrade your thrusters and/or buy light parts.

D-rated parts are the lightest kind of part. But they are generally less powerful.

If you have light parts and an A-rated thruster and are still turning kinda slow, it's a limitation of the ship.
Also have to point out that you turn better when your throttle is in the blue zone.

renzollo

Banned

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the pilots I used to watch, but I bet the ED forums have easy to find links. The problem with ED videos for me was always that there was very little I could find in between "this is how you press the throttle to move forward" and "watch this sick flight-assist-off 720 noscope asteroid dogfight".

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh boy finally hit midshipman! I hope by the end of the day tomorrow I can push petty officer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Isinona/videos

Isinona helped me understand the fundamentals of dog fighting even though they don't actually explain all that much. But just watching how they move (and seeing how damn steady they are without flight assist) is absolutely amazing and a great way to learn.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4zz56n/its_happening_can_someone_decode_it

New cg is up:

gFkpDID.png

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
This has been an interesting morning lol.

Woke up at 5:30 to fly out to find the red trader. Contact was made by someone in the forums before griefers smoked him. It looks the the CG is just a way for them to get the message out.

Now we are to meet the trader in Pik Tok at 3PM.

I wonder if there is going to be a Cylon like component to the Thargoid threat? There has been hints of human ships acting strangely in some of the lore stuff leading up to now.

Xater

Did 2 imperial rank ups today and made more than 2 million credits. Pretty good I would say. That boom system was a great recommendation by Wesley.

I wonder if there is going to be a Cylon like component to the Thargoid threat? There has been hints of human ships acting strangely in some of the lore stuff leading up to now.

I hope it's rather some Flood/Knights of Sidonia sort of alien parasitic lifeform that literally takes over ships (or even the pilots as well!) and turns them into corrupted, mutated and unnerving organic/metallic hybrids that do not respond to calls but simply try to kill you. And if you die... they will take over your ship and make it one of theirs...

God that would be glorious. Would give the struggle against the invader a real purpose (do or die).

This has been an interesting morning lol.

Woke up at 5:30 to fly out to find the red trader. Contact was made by someone in the forums before griefers smoked him. It looks the the CG is just a way for them to get the message out.

Now we are to meet the trader in Pik Tok at 3PM.

I'm thinking of jumping in a low cost ship and going. I'm sure it'll be a griefer's paradise but I want to see the commotion.

So something is going down at Pic Tok at 3PM? Is that PDT?
Need to get my time zones right.

I may just stop at a Li Yong-Rui and outfit an Explorer finally to make most of the trip.

or maybe go cheap just to he safe and outfit a Hauler. lol

And I guess I can ignore this current CG since I don't even have time to make it?

So something is going down at Pic Tok at 3PM? Is that PDT?
Need to get my time zones right.

I may just stop at a Li Yong-Rui and outfit an Explorer finally to make most of the trip.

or maybe go cheap just to he safe and outfit a Hauler. lol

3pm gmt. Everything in Elite is GMT. The in galaxy clock you can see in the upper right hand corner of the HUD is set to GMT. That means you have 37 minutes.

I'm dropping off a load of fish to make sure I did my part in dooming the human race.

Tons of commanders around. Always fun to just fly around an instance filled with non-hostile human pilots.

Hmm. Do I abandon my quest to Jacques and go to Pic Tok today or not. I'm currently 9k ly away from the bubble.

Also here is a picture from that funeral that I mentioned yesterday.

I don't know. The thing happens in 18 min so turning back now means you will miss the thing and who knows if anything happens after that.

JambiBum

Tons of commanders around. Always fun to just fly around an instance filled with non-hostile human pilots.

I don't know. The thing happens in 18 min so turning back now means you will miss the thing and who knows if anything happens after that.

Yeah I think since I'm already so far away I'll just let other people deal with whatever it is and hopefully someone gets some footage or something. Taking this trip out to Jacques should get me Elite in exploration since I'm already so close.

TheExodu5

Banned
Really having an issue starting out. Bounties are hard to find...I jump to a nav beacon or conflict zone but a lot of them are just security forces fighting other security forces. I have no idea what they are and I can't take them on in any case.

I fly to several planets/stations, but not that I've installed Horizons, I feel a little crippled. There are a lot less cargo transportation missions now by the look of it, and even then my cargo space is seriously limited.

So I need a bit of guidance. What should I be doing first and what should be the first things I want to upgrade?

Okay cutting it close! Stopped at a LYR station and bought my explorer to double my jump range.

Gonna get there with like 2 mins to spare in a skeleton fitted Asp Explorer.

CMDR AOI SUISEI for anyone that wants to meet up :)

Really having an issue starting out. Bounties are hard to find...I jump to a nav beacon or conflict zone but a lot of them are just security forces fighting other security forces. I have no idea what they are and I can't take them on in any case.

I fly to several planets/stations, but not that I've installed Horizons, I feel a little crippled. There are a lot less cargo transportation missions now by the look of it, and even then my cargo space is seriously limited.

So I need a bit of guidance. What should I be doing first and what should be the first things I want to upgrade?

Conflict Zones are war zones. You can pick a side and fight the other through the functions tab on the right panel. Those aren't bounties but you get combat vouchers that you can turn in at a local station.

Basic trading is always an option early on. Use this to find trading routes. https://ross.eddb.io/ Actually that site is the key for a lot of things. Bounty hunting at RES sites is more lucrative. Use local security patrols in a RES as a means to pick off bounties. Just be careful to not hit the security vessels. You only need to do a little damage to a target to claim it's bounty. Let the security vessels do the heavy lifting when you are in a sidewinder or eagle.

Just on my way back to return a black box, was running on fumes. Almost made it, then suddenly everything went offline. Will be out of oxygen in 2 minutes
LLShC.gif
floating in space, breathing getting heavier. This game is ruthless.

funny-gif-astronaut-space-debris.gif

JambiBum

Fuckin harry potter just tries to immediately kill the cmdrs that give the clues because that's all he enjoys doing. At least I know that he isn't hanging out at Jacques anymore.

Fuckin harry potter just tries to immediately kill the cmdrs that give the clues because that's all he enjoys doing. At least I know that he isn't hanging out at Jacques anymore.

There's a couple of wings in the current system of interest destroying any and all commanders, it was to be expected though.

I think I'll log off and watch the stream for a bit.
I think I'll let the stream run in the background to get the audio at least.
Things are moving quickly but it's hard to keep up with community when I'm wearing a VR headset, ha.
What headset are you using?

I had the Oculus CV from my brother in law for a few days but gave it back earlier to use my DK2 again. :O Besides the imho minimal improvement in resolution everything else was worse for me. Especially the lens flares are anoying

I had the Oculus CV from my brother in law for a few days but gave it back earlier to use my DK2 again. :O Besides the imho minimal improvement in resolution everything else was worse for me. Especially the lens flares are anoying

I use the Oculus CV for Elite. I have the Vive too, but it still needs a lot of work in Elite. I don't have a DK2 to compare it to.

JambiBum

Funny enough I have like no lens flare with my Rift in ED. Some people seem to have worse flare problems than others though for whatever reason.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My god is the Imperial Courier pure, unadulterated sexiness. This thing is like the 458 Italia of the Elite world; sleek, shiny, and beautiful. It also handles like a dream, so silky and smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5kZqukWGQ

Just got mine a couple of days back, and it's already my favourite ship so far. Also, this engineer stuff is really good at having me do things in the game I never bothered with before. Up until now I had never tried planetary exploration with the dune buggy, and I actually quite liked it. My little courier now has shields rated at 544 with level 1 mods on the shield boosters (giving me some nice overall protection from thermal and kinetic). I've also done a level 1 FSD boost, which bumped me from 13.75lys to 15.25lys at full tank. Along with level 1 thrust (300/403 boost) and engine (15ish to now 18ish power level) increases. This is all just at the most basic level. I can't wait to turn this baby into more of giant killer.

Grief.exe

What ships get the best jump distance in the game, I'm assuming that the Asp Explorer is the cheapest to kit out.

My god is the Imperial Courier pure, unadulterated sexiness. This thing is like the 458 Italia of the Elite world; sleek, shiny, and beautiful. It also handles like a dream, so silky and smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5kZqukWGQ

Just got mine a couple of days back, and it's already my favourite ship so far. Also, this engineer stuff is really good at having me do things in the game I never bothered with before. Up until now I had never tried planetary exploration with the dune buggy, and I actually quite liked it. My little courier now has shields rated at 544 with level 1 mods on the shield boosters (giving me some nice overall protection from thermal and kinetic). I've also done a level 1 FSD boost, which bumped me from 13.75lys to 15.25lys at full tank. Along with level 1 thrust (300/403 boost) and engine (15ish to now 18ish power level) increases. This is all just at the most basic level. I can't wait to turn this baby into more of giant killer.

That guy has some really cool videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_1mtOQyvQ

I use the Oculus CV for Elite. I have the Vive too, but it still needs a lot of work in Elite. I don't have a DK2 to compare it to.
Funny enough I have like no lens flare with my Rift in ED. Some people seem to have worse flare problems than others though for whatever reason.
When opening the menu with its white text all of it was having flares. It really did hurt the eyes. Especially when bright small objects hit dark background this is immense. So everywhere in Elite :D Since the DK2 does not have fresnel lenses there is no lense flare effect. The effect looks like this. It was a bit more than in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xasaoRXF5rU

The resolution difference was less than I thought. Thank god I kept the DK2. I was so looking forward to play with it the two weeks he is here in our area. But I prefer the DK2 tbh.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What ships get the best jump distance in the game, I'm assuming that the Asp Explorer is the cheapest to kit out.

Anaconda gets the best jump range in the game, followed closely by the far less expensive Asp Explorer, and third is the Diamondback Explorer, and then it's every other ship in the game far behind those three. The Hauler can actually jump pretty far if you strip it down to just an empty hulk. The T6 and Imperial Courier are pretty decent, and from there the ranges drop off quite a bit.

The game desperately needs more high range exploration ships.

bj00rn_

Banned

That guy has some really cool videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_1mtOQyvQ

Yeah, he does have some good stuff in his channel.

I didn't realize how much great ED youtube content there is out there. I pretty much only knew about obsidianant, but your link led me to a cascade of ED videos.

Here's a fun one f.ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvkwSwqkyM

Woo just got into the top 10% in the warships cg.

4,195 tonnes superconductors delivered so far.
~280 tonnes per trip in my Python.
Running a loop that nets me 370k profit per run.

This has been a good day of hauling.

Woo just got into the top 10% in the warships cg.

4,195 tonnes superconductors delivered so far.
~280 tonnes per trip in my Python.
Running a loop that nets me 370k profit per run.

This has been a good day of hauling.
I'm at 2800 Tonnes but my loop nets me around 1.4million :D
Trading is so boring. Staring at the countdown and the loading screen (Hyper Jump) most of the time, nooo :)

DrBo42

Latest tip

http://imgur.com/a/TRtH3

Matches up with Pic Tok IMO, like TIIQ are saying. Only 1 landable planet there. Icy too, like the gamescom image. Look for a canyon with a ship crash like that image.

Currently there on PC if anyone wants to wing up and search. Going to take out the SRV.

Top Bottom