• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

uberluigi

Banned
Getting better and enjoying the fuck out of the game, played 6 hours straight last night and didn't realize it at all lol. Do I have to pledge to a faction or is it not required? If so which one is recommended? Any good websites or wiki where I can catch up on the lore?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmao as i was going to bed i told my friend he should try the CG out in his mining ship that had 96 cargo space.

He just messaged me with a screen shot of him with 124 million credits.

That made me laugh, he only had like ~8mil before hand.

I should have built a transport ship and participated, oh well next time for sure.

DrBo42

Lmao as i was going to bed i told my friend he should try the CG out in his mining ship that had 96 cargo space.

He just messaged me with a screen shot of him with 124 million credits.

That made me laugh, he only had like ~8mil before hand.

I should have built a transport ship and participated, oh well next time for sure.

FD fucked up here, no doubt. Payouts have never been like that. There is no next time.

Getting better and enjoying the fuck out of the game, played 6 hours straight last night and didn't realize it at all lol. Do I have to pledge to a faction or is it not required? If so which one is recommended? Any good websites or wiki where I can catch up on the lore?
There's no pledging outside of Powerplay and that's only really worth it if you're farming one of their bonuses like increased bounty payouts or for one of their weapons/modules. You constantly get harassed in super cruise by npcs from the other factions and going to certain parts of space makes you a free target. Really not worth it IMO. Or grind until you get Aisling's prismatic shields for a huge ship and defect and never engage in Powerplay again. Like me!

Reckheim

FD fucked up here, no doubt. Payouts have never been like that. There is no next time.

Yeh, Something definitely went wrong. It would be bad business to have these type of CG's often. It would make any sort of money making mechanic in the game pointless.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well then lol, I hope we get another bounty hunting CG.The last one was a lot of fun.

Plus I wanna get my friends into the combat and I think that type of CG is one of the best ways to do so.

joecanada

That's a whole lot of money for you new guys. Spend wisely lol.

well I'm stuck at work but assuming I did stay in the 75% range, and I only have a cobra and Viper currently ...

what would be my next ship I could reasonably afford? Anaconda? Asp? best general purpose upgrade from kitted out cobra??

DrBo42

well I'm stuck at work but assuming I did stay in the 75% range, and I only have a cobra and Viper currently ...

what would be my next ship I could reasonably afford? Anaconda? Asp? best general purpose upgrade from kitted out cobra??

Cobra is a nice multi-purpose at low tier, Conda is god tier multi role if you can afford to outfit and insure it. Make builds on coriolis.io and see what you can afford. Asp is a great option for smuggling or just trading in general at around 213 cargo and exploration. 6 hard points for some solid defense. Now is the time you want to figure out how you want to make money and if you want do that quickly or relax and take it at an easy pace.

This might be amusing for everyone that just made over 100 million overnight, this is what the game was like for us vets in premium beta. Pretty different back then. http://youtu.be/9iJJrk9wGj8

StonedRider

I absolutely agree FD fucked up here with the last CG payouts. I mean, 350 millions for top 10%??? I earned the same amount of money for the last year. This is breaking the balance of the game totally.
And more, this CG is big FU for all players who are near Jacques now doing another CG or returning to bubble from previous CG.

Yes, I know I am salty because I did not participate lol.

Reckheim

I absolutely agree FD fucked up here with the last CG payouts. I mean, 350 millions for top 10%??? I earned the same amount of money for the last year. This is breaking the balance of the game totally.
And more, this CG is big FU for all players who are near Jacques now doing another CG or returning to bubble from previous CG.

I have a ton of money from just doing random jobs over time and I am salty as well. Oo well.

I wonder if they did it on purpose so the influx of new players gets a nice boost in their capitol to get hooked on the game.

Onikaan

If you were in the top 10% you've made more money in one go than I did in the last 6 months, and I've been playing since GPP.

Pretty crazy. Congratulations though, welcome to the high life.

I have a ton of money from just doing random jobs over time and I am salty as well. Oo well.

I wonder if they did it on purpose so the influx of new players gets a nice boost in their capitol to get hooked on the game.
My guess was due to the increase of new players. Maybe they screwed up. Who knows.

I'll happily take my mistake payout though. :p

StonedRider

Maybe, this money will definitely help new players! But after earning 100 millions for two evenings many new players will expect easy money and could burn out quickly after they see the real grindy nature of the game. I mean, earn first 100 millions for two days and next 100 millions for three months of hard work? Nah.

This might be amusing for everyone that just made over 100 million overnight, this is what the game was like for us vets in premium beta. Pretty different back then. http://youtu.be/9iJJrk9wGj8
I managed to get the 300million yay! But yeah, getting 300 credits as a bounty, those where the times. Barely enough to refill fuel and ammunition.

Yep, it is a lot of money and I read somewhere they fucked up the values by accidently adding one 0 too much at the end :D

Anyways:
Before:
elite-dangerousclientt7yec.jpg

I'm playing since Beta... ~ 3 weeks of playtime according to the stats

StonedRider

Anyway, I must remember I play this game not for ingame credits, but for immersion and love for space science :)

I thought Frontier fixed slow route calculation near Galaxy core. Nope, it takes about 10 minutes to calculate 1000 ly route near Jacques.

ACE 1991

How difficult is the game to pick up? I really want to get into a massive space game at the moment, but a little put-off by the learning curve I've read about.

DrBo42

How difficult is the game to pick up? I really want to get into a massive space game at the moment, but a little put-off by the learning curve I've read about.
It's not DCS where you spend 10 minutes charging an a-10's apu and getting each engine to idle temps while calibrating MFDs. Nowhere near that level of sim but there are control surfaces you need to bind outside regular plane controls. Nothing you can't manage. In game tutorials and YouTube and this thread/community in General will get you through.

Far easier than it looks IMO.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm playing since Beta... ~ 3 weeks of playtime according to the stats

Yep, I am likewise. Playing since launch day and I have just a tad over 300 million in assets and literally over 250 hours of play time, which apparently I could have made with just a few hours of trading on this CG.

It must have been due to a rounding error. A decimal point one place over to the right by accident. It’s the only explanation.

Reckheim

As much as it bums me out I missed out on some easy millions. Even if i did do the CG i'd still be flying in the ASP so it doesn't bother me that much.

I still want ED to make an Anaconda sized ship (with the same jump range) with a viewing window of the ASP.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Learning how to fly and basic controls took me about one solid play session of fiddling around with the key binds and figuring out what mattered, what didn't, what could be an out of the way binding and what I needed on demand.

The real learning curve to me was just figuring out how the games rhythm worked. Discovering the core loop of activities, how to start doing certain activities, all the little bonus features that aren't so obvious and the subtleties of the game took me a few days to figure out, but even 75 hours deep with the game and I'm still learning stuff everyday.

Just yesterday I noticed that the hologram for the hexagon cube shaped space stations had little arrows pointing you towards the docking slot, before I was just trying to find it by using the old knowledge I had that all stations with an internal dock seemingly have the docking slot pointing towards the celestial body they orbit.

It's a super cool game and a rather unique one. It's a roller coaster between points of extreme excitement and thrills followed by the mundane silence of space travel.

http://i.imgur.com/lFa68mn.png

To give you an idea of what commands look like, this is what I based my original keyboard and mouse layout around before I set up my HOTAS. KB+M is super playable by the way, but if you ask me - you really can't beat the sensation of having your FSD fully charged with a big notification on your screen saying "throttle up to engage" and jamming the throttle forward to hit hyperspace :p

ACE 1991

Learning how to fly and basic controls took me about one solid play session of fiddling around with the key binds and figuring out what mattered, what didn't, what could be an out of the way binding and what I needed on demand.

The real learning curve to me was just figuring out how the games rhythm worked. Discovering the core loop of activities, how to start doing certain activities, all the little bonus features that aren't so obvious and the subtleties of the game took me a few days to figure out, but even 75 hours deep with the game and I'm still learning stuff everyday.

Just yesterday I noticed that the hologram for the hexagon cube shaped space stations had little arrows pointing you towards the docking slot, before I was just trying to find it by using the old knowledge I had that all stations with an internal dock seemingly have the docking slot pointing towards the celestial body they orbit.

It's a super cool game and a rather unique one. It's a roller coaster between points of extreme excitement and thrills followed by the mundane silence of space travel.

http://i.imgur.com/lFa68mn.png

To give you an idea of what commands look like, this is what I based my original keyboard and mouse layout around before I set up my HOTAS. KB+M is super playable by the way, but if you ask me - you really can't beat the sensation of having your FSD fully charged with a big notification on your screen saying "throttle up to engage" and jamming the throttle forward to hit hyperspace :p

Thanks for the write up! How different/improved is the game now from when it released? Curious how valid a lot of the criticisms of the game are from reviews posted in late 2014/early 2015

The Cowboy

I still want ED to make an Anaconda sized ship (with the same jump range) with a viewing window of the ASP.
I want this to.

Even though i am tempted to spend my newly earned 145mil on a new ship, i just don't think i can't give up my AspX's view - its just so nice for fighting and general admiring the scenery.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I want this to.

Even though i am tempted to spend my newly earned 145mil on a new ship, i just don't think i can't give up my AspX's view - its just so nice for fighting and general admiring the scenery.

You fight in an Asp? I ran away like a scared child lol. I've learned that it's far quicker and more simpler just cutting thrusters when you get interdicted, hitting the boost button and then engaging jump drive (your FSD countdown timer is no different than when you jump into a system). That whole process takes a mere fraction of the time it would take me in trying to win against an interdiction, let alone the time it would take when I failed and was now being shot at while the FSD cool down.

Reckheim

So I wonder if they are going to do anything about the CG or just let it be. Will be interesting to see what happens

I think they'll admit they screwed up and say not to expect it to happen in the future. Or they'll work it into the lore somehow.

Edit: there is no way they are taking the money away tho, the community would flip shit.

DrBo42

So I wonder if they are going to do anything about the CG or just let it be. Will be interesting to see what happens
The community would fold upon itself if they took the money back.

Looks like my trackIR showed up at home today. Now the decision to lose myself in exploration and combat for hours or play Legion at launch tonight.

JambiBum

Yeah I don't think they would take it back but I imagine they might say something about it.

There's also a new CG up that the top payout is currently 100 million for the first tier. It's part of the whole Hunt thing that happened yesterday. Have to bring narcotics to one of the NPCs.

Dizzy-4U

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm about to start doing engineer stuff for the first time.

Which engineer upgrades the power plant? I went to the trophy camp guy but he doesn't do it.

Also, does anyone know where can I get level 5 thrusters? I'm two jumps away from trophy camp for reference.

I finally jumped in last week after following the game for a loooong time, and it's doing a lot of things right. Going from a pretty well pimped out Cobra and 400k in the bank to a fully loaded Asp and Vulture with money to spare feels almost criminally easy (three or four 36t loads was enough for 69M), but I'll take it. Now to decide whether to do some bounty hunting, or go on an exploration trip... and should I take a friend's offer on a cheap DK2 Rift.

Just a general question, but are most of you guys playing ED on PC? I got the Xbox one version and I rarely see other players. Wondering if I should switch to the PC version instead.

JambiBum

Just a general question, but are most of you guys playing ED on PC? I got the Xbox one version and I rarely see other players. Wondering if I should switch to the PC version instead.

There's a lot more xbox players in here now than there used to be because of the recent sale, but most of us are on PC. Even on the pc version you might rarely see other players. It all depends on where you are at and what's going on.

I regularly see other X1 players in high pop areas. I'm at Blaster's engineer base right now and regularly see 2-3 other players there, plus occasionally 1-2 at the nearby Nav beacon. Haven't checked the conflict zones in the system yet, didn't realize there were any until the other day.

Looks like my trackIR showed up at home today. Now the decision to lose myself in exploration and combat for hours or play Legion at launch tonight.
Do some combat. It's awesome ;)

There's also a new CG up that the top payout is currently 100 million for the first tier. It's part of the whole Hunt thing that happened yesterday. Have to bring narcotics to one of the NPCs.
Wow, really? Perhaps I'll jump here as well. Need to get some narcotics first though

Top Bottom