• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

joecanada

Cobra is a nice multi-purpose at low tier, Conda is god tier multi role if you can afford to outfit and insure it. Make builds on coriolis.io and see what you can afford. Asp is a great option for smuggling or just trading in general at around 213 cargo and exploration. 6 hard points for some solid defense. Now is the time you want to figure out how you want to make money and if you want do that quickly or relax and take it at an easy pace.

This might be amusing for everyone that just made over 100 million overnight, this is what the game was like for us vets in premium beta. Pretty different back then. http://youtu.be/9iJJrk9wGj8

huh I think I am going to try to keep my cobra, buy a vulture and buy an asp. not enough for a conda that's for sure.

I ran into a vulture in res zone the other day and despite outflying him badly in my cobra for like 10 minutes straight I could barely get those shields down.... finally just got bored and let him get away.

doesn't help that I was running lvl 1 beam lasers.... it was like trying to burn through a block of wood with a magnifying glass.

miss my level 2 cannons but you really got to know what you are going to fight. lvl 2 multicannons tear small ships apart but not so much on bigger ones.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So something that's pissing me off right now is the lack of storage for engineer components in the game. I'm using my Asp to go do missions and collect resources needed for upgrades. But now I can't switch back to my combat ship to do the upgrades, because it being a combat ship, I hadn't outfitted cargo racks on it. Are they seriously expecting me to wonder around the place in a combat ship when my Asp has a 40lys range and the necessary cargo space?

There's also a new CG up that the top payout is currently 100 million for the first tier. It's part of the whole Hunt thing that happened yesterday. Have to bring narcotics to one of the NPCs.

it doesn't say what the rewards are for it. but I've been hauling narcotics all day in my t9. top10% hopefully the pay isn't too bad, but regardless it pays really well to haul narcotics hehe.

DrBo42

So something that's pissing me off right now is the lack of storage for engineer components in the game. I'm using my Asp to go do missions and collect resources needed for upgrades. But now I can't switch back to my combat ship to do the upgrades, because it being a combat ship, I hadn't outfitted cargo racks on it. Are they seriously expecting me to wonder around the place in a combat ship when my Asp has a 40lys range and the necessary cargo space?
Not sure what they were thinking honestly. Their idea of engineer builds was far different from ours. Originally they wanted/expected weapon special effects to be a rare thing you might have on one weapon as opposed to making a build out of them.

use a spare asp, buy the module you want for your combat ship, modify it, fly back to your combat ship, sell the module, switch to combat ship, rebuy, done :)

Arulan

Is there a good way to learn how to turn around with flight assist off?

Having analog control over most, if not all of your axis and lateral directions certainly helps (CH Pro Throttle!), but it's mostly just practice. I do wish there was another way to judge relative movement aside from the space dust, such as through data for x, y, and z vectors.

Top 10% get. Man what a payday.

I decided that I'm going to fully kit out my Python before I focus on a Exploraconda. Having a huge pool of money for the first time to play around makes me way more conservative somehow lol

JambiBum

One thing you can do is mod the parts on your asp, go to the station with your combat ship, sell the modded parts, and then swap to your combat ship and buy back the parts. You get a limited window of time to buy back items you sell. While this makes it easier for some stuff, you obviously can't do it for parts that won't fit on your asp.

Atomski

Finally got Horizons and am enjoying it so far.

Feel like I am finally making some money to.. although last night i got this mission to kill 18 pirates. After like 4 hours I got maybe 5 of them. They seem super rare and most run away soon as I engage. >_<

Rutti

Got my first canopy breach today. Then I got interdicted when I was going to repair it. I didn't die but it was pretty intense. UI disappearing where the glass was missing was pretty cool tho.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yeah I think I'm going to not bother doing any more upgrades for my combat ships, and just wait until I can get the engineers I want to work with levelled up to Level 5. Apparently at that level they stop requiring commodities that take up cargo space. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Also, is there anything similar to Sothis but for the Empire? I realise I can pretty efficiently raise my Federal rank by doing these long range hauling. But I would love to rank up my Imperial rank in such fashion as well.

Got my first canopy breach today. Then I got interdicted when I was going to repair it. I didn't die but it was pretty intense. UI disappearing where the glass was missing was pretty cool tho.

yeah, this is the coolest thing when it happens. only happened to me once and I didn't have a lot of air supply for my cobra then. managed to get to a station with seconds to spare, best thing that ever happened to me in a game.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I like that they stick with the idea that the HUD is being projected onto the glass, so no glass = no HUD. Makes aiming at a station in supercruise mighty interesting. I think I've had a breach maybe three or four times. The breach itself has never killed me. I either get out and make it to a station, or the fight keeps going long enough for the other ship to blow me out of the sky long before I run out of air.. lol.

narcotics cg is starting to progress pretty fast. will probably be over later today. people thinking about joining it should probably get on there pretty quickly.

Grief.exe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtD41MRibe4 after this, just watch Isinonas other videos :D

Oh nice, thanks.

Having analog control over most, if not all of your axis and lateral directions certainly helps (CH Pro Throttle!), but it's mostly just practice. I do wish there was another way to judge relative movement aside from the space dust, such as through data for x, y, and z vectors.

Yes I have it bound to an analog stick on my Thrustmaster Cougar.

Some shots from a high res in Arque tonight

a5R7Bkh.jpg

This game is endlessly breathtaking.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Some shots from a high res in Arque tonight

This game is endlessly breathtaking.

Love it. Are you using the alt+F10 high res screenshot mode?

Why does the community goal not state what the rewards are? Do I just accept and sign up?
I havent been able to sign on all day if you are talking about the narcotics CG, that really isn't a normal CG. That is for another hint from the red trader. I wonder if the payouts are even going to work for it.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
How do you sell or buy weapons from the dealer's out in space?

Any system with an economy will have a station. In the station go to Outfitting. Weapons are under hardpoints.

If you are looking for something specific you can use this tool: https://eddb.io/station to find it.

Put where you currently are in the reference system and what module(s) you are looking for the in the "sells modules" box.

Why does the community goal not state what the rewards are? Do I just accept and sign up?

Love it. Are you using the alt+F10 high res screenshot mode?

I havent been able to sign on all day if you are talking about the narcotics CG, that really isn't a normal CG. That is for another hint from the red trader. I wonder if the payouts are even going to work for it.
The fish cg didn't have a payout so I'm not sure if this one has one or not.

@awesomemeat these were captured from the native screenshot tool via Xbox. I meant that they were taken whilst at a resource extraction site [high].

Effect

Really not sure how I feel about the gold paint job for the Asp Explorer (which I went back to after going back to the Cobra. I need the space if I'm going to get missions that give me 400,000+ upon delivery if I ever want to get into a Python or Fer or Dropship). I actually don't remember how I got it either.

Only 10% rank away from petty officer! Tomorrow I will be going home to earth!

nuke the atmosphere off it so we can land as well heh

Really not sure how I feel about the gold paint job for the Asp Explorer. I actually don't remember how I got it either.
it's really nice if you fly close to a star and give it a full reflection view. otherwise yeah it looks pretty bad. I'm using the black skin on mine

less than 1mill tons left on the narcotics clue cg. I've made like 75mill delivering to that so far. pretty nice

Docking is making me crazy, it's taking me almost the full amount of time to dock

I'm probably never gonna dog fight in this game since it's really hard to even find where enemies can be and shooting peeps takes way too long at the start

I might be slightly regretting my purchase I prolly just need to focus on just doing some courier and delivery missions for right now just to get a different ship or something.... I don't know

Grief.exe

Docking is making me crazy, it's taking me almost the full amount of time to dock

I'm probably never gonna dog fight in this game since it's really hard to even find where enemies can be and shooting peeps takes way too long at the start

I might be slightly regretting my purchase I prolly just need to focus on just doing some courier and delivery missions for right now just to get a different ship or something.... I don't know

Just need to get good brah.

Watch some tutorial videos on youtube and practice until you get the hang of it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

It took me a little while to wrap my head around the game and I was having much the same problems, to a T. It actually got a lot better when I set up a gamepad, especially docking which went a lot faster as I got better at slinging the ship around.

As for combat it also takes a bit to get used to the radar system. But then, the game is set up so that you don't have to focus on combat to do a lot. Ground missions in the SRV are a lot of fun and the simple combat on the ground is easy to get the hang of.

Getting over the learning curve and the initial Sidewinder is the hard part. Getting a more specialized ship for a role opens the game up. For example I'm focusing on transporting cargo and doing surface retrieval missions, so moved quickly to the Hauler, which is cheap to buy and starts out with bigger fuel tank. It can hold a SRV hanger and an 8 unit cargo rack for cheap.

Effect

Talking almost the entire time was how I was when I first started playing. Docking really just takes practice. That or buy a docking computer.

What you can do, especially fighting depends on your ship. I don't think I ever started looking for fights until I got out of the Sidewinder and into an Adder. I could have started sooner if I went into an Eagle but wanted something that had more armor and could be used for other things and I read that it was decent at fighting if you outfitted it right in the beginning and it was. I only looked for fights at nav beacons so if a fight started there were npcs joining. That gave me time to find the enemy and get used to the combat.

uberluigi

Banned
Any system with an economy will have a station. In the station go to Outfitting. Weapons are under hardpoints.

If you are looking for something specific you can use this tool: https://eddb.io/station to find it.

Put where you currently are in the reference system and what module(s) you are looking for the in the "sells modules" box.

No I meant the "seeking weapons" or "weapons dealer" ships. In the comms log they are saying they sell weapons or need a specific one, how do I interact with them?

JambiBum

nuke the atmosphere off it so we can land as well heh

it's really nice if you fly close to a star and give it a full reflection view. otherwise yeah it looks pretty bad. I'm using the black skin on mine

less than 1mill tons left on the narcotics clue cg. I've made like 75mill delivering to that so far. pretty nice
Wonder if I can get there in time. Almost back from my Jacques trip. I was going to switch ships first but I might not have time

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
No I meant the "seeking weapons" or "weapons dealer" ships. In the comms log they are saying they sell weapons or need a specific one, how do I interact with them?

These are actually for you to sell stuff to them. They typically pay more per ton than anywhere else. The weapons ones usually want the battle weapon commodity. Just drop out of super cruise on them, target them and fly near. They'll take the canisters automagically.

Talking almost the entire time was how I was when I first started playing. Docking really just takes practice. That or buy a docking computer.

This is what I did and I never looked back. It's not really the flying that's annoying to me it's the fact that I can never find the entrance on certain stations so I would have to waste so much time circling around.

You just started the game. Relax; you'll get it. We've all been there. It'll go from 5 minutes to 15 seconds soon enough.

This is what I did and I never looked back. It's not really the flying that's annoying to me it's the fact that I can never find the entrance on certain stations so I would have to waste so much time circling around.

you'll never learn if you don't try. there is no reason not to learn. don't be lazy. there will come a time when you want that internal compartment for something. docking becomes easy. it's a matter of repetition.

On the flying cubes, when you get landing permission the icon has little arrows on the target screen that point to the docking port.

Twinduct

you'll never learn if you don't try. there is no reason not to learn. don't be lazy. there will come a time when you want that internal compartment for something. docking becomes easy. it's a matter of repetition.

Don't think it's always a matter of not learning, more to do with the time it takes. Those cube stations completely fuck my mind on where the entrance is if you approach form the back. Or those multi level stations that have like 2 docks every second platform.

Also might be my imagination, but the auto dock also allows higher approach speed etc. Computer straight up boosts into that entrance without the speeding fine showing up.

But yeah always a good idea to have practice though as broken canopies is a thing.

JambiBum

Don't think it's always a matter of not learning, more to do with the time it takes. Those cube stations completely fuck my mind on where the entrance is if you approach form the back. Or those multi level stations that have like 2 docks every second platform.

Also might be my imagination, but the auto dock also allows higher approach speed etc. Computer straight up boosts into that entrance without the speeding fine showing up.

But yeah always a good idea to have practice though as broken canopies is a thing.
On the cubes, just look for the axis that they are spinning on. Find the axis and then look for which side is spinning in place. That side will either be the entrance or the exact opposite side so you just need to switch sides to get there. Also as others have said the targeting icon will have an arrow pointing to which side the entrance is on as well.

joecanada

Depending what you are doing the docking computer always draws alot of git gud comments but it does an amazing job and allowed me to grab a drink, let dogs out, etc ...
But yeah it's first thing to go when I need the slot.
Entrance always points at the planet. Just suoercruise in between planet and station and it's usually right in front of you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to find a system with narcotics to buy. I see the green lines coming from systems but when i check it out it says prohibited?

the 3D image of the port also always points to where the entrance is with little arrows.

does everyone know how to appear roughly in front of the station 100% of the time? if not i can explain.

On the flying cubes, when you get landing permission the icon has little arrows on the target screen that point to the docking port.

just target the station and you see the arrows. the center of the spin is also always the back or the front of the station.

edit: I guess a bunch of people have already told how to look for the opening on these already. hehe

HIP 17022 (33 LY from Cail) - Bluford Gateway
Two jumps from Cail, I've been doing that all day. Go nuts.
takes me four jumps in the t9. tsc tsc

Top Bottom