• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portman

So there is no death penalty?

There is an insurance fee that has to be paid plus the cost of modules when you die. If you bring up the systems screen on the right (4 key by default) it will show your ship insurance cost which is just for the base ship (no modules) if my memory is correct. It can be skipped and you can go back to the starter ship or declare bankruptcy too as a last resort (starts the save over I think).

That is if you were asking about the death penalty in general. If you meant between Open/Solo there isn't anything different that I know of and the game just has that one death/insurance system outlined above.

GeoGonzo

I think the death penalty is 5% of the total ship cost, including upgrades. You will also lose all cargo, any unclaimed bounties, any exploration data not yet sold and any mission marked as "fails on ship destruction".

In effect, the death ranges from borderline irrelevant (pirate in a Viper) up to infuriating (a trader crashing an Asp filled with cargo), ocasionally even causing players to quit playing after losing everything (unable to pay for insurance).

The one rule of E:D is: Never take off with less cash than the cost of insurance. Ever. (I've done it. Others do it. It is terribly dumb.)

8bit

Knows the Score
Installed the update, and now there aren't any missions on the bulletin boards. Think I might stay out of the game tonight.

Really need more mid-range ships that cost between like 500k - 5 million

Seriously. I don't even know if I want to even get to the spot where I can begin grinding.

I get the feeling the Corvette is going to be a few hundred million, and the new Imperial ship PROOOOOBABLY isn't gonna be cheap.

owlbeak

Seriously. I don't even know if I want to even get to the spot where I can begin grinding.

I get the feeling the Corvette is going to be a few hundred million, and the new Imperial ship PROOOOOBABLY isn't gonna be cheap.
I just hate that there is literally nothing after the Cobra until you can afford the Asp, which is like 16x more expensive than the Cobra. There's plenty of variety for expensive ships, but give me some different options other than the Viper or the Cobra.

I really don't want to trade in this game and currently, it would take me ages to make enough money bounty hunting to buy a FDL. I haven't looked into Mining too much yet, but might have to try that. The idea seems appealing to me, but I've read it's incredibly tedious.

22 mil cr for the Vulture is what was predicted but it is still a bad value. I will be buying one, I've saved up 40 mil cr, so I can replace my Viper but I need to keep the Asp because a pure fighter limits you way too much. Recouping the cost relying purely on combat based income would take an eternity.

Wreav

Banned
The debug camera is sweet, but controlling it with the HOTAS is so weird.
wI9NzQW.jpg

owlbeak

Anybody know a location where I can purchase some decent fixed multicannons - Class 1 with a greater rating than E? I had changed my weapons on my Viper and had to buy some seriously garbage multicannons when I tried to change my weapon loadout back while I was out exploring. They take forever to spin up and sometimes only one will fire. It's making my TTK much longer than it should be.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
:[ Might be able to afford a Vulture....in months. :'[

Really need more mid-range ships that cost between like 500k - 5 million

Yeah, I wish there were more low cost ships too, I currently own an Asp and it is most likely the most expensive ship in Elite Dangerous that I will ever own. I love playing the game but not grinding trade routes ad naseum for weeks on end just to buy a bigger ship with heftier maintenance costs. I'd rather go dogfighting for fun and make jack shit for credits than grind trade routes like I needed to in order to get my Asp in the first place....

Now, if there was a better way to earn serious credits, like by bounty hunting or mining, that would be very welcome.

Shifty76

Anybody know a location where I can purchase some decent fixed multicannons - Class 1 with a greater rating than E? I had changed my weapons on my Viper and had to buy some seriously garbage multicannons when I tried to change my weapon loadout back while I was out exploring. They take forever to spin up and sometimes only one will fire. It's making my TTK much longer than it should be.
E is the highest rating available for class 1 mc's. Need to move to class 2 ones if you want a higher rating (D for fixed)

All fixed multicannons are E rated. Ratings on weapons are for cost, not quality. It's confusing.

Yeah, I wish there were more low cost ships too, I currently own an Asp and it is most likely the most expensive ship in Elite Dangerous that I will ever own. I love playing the game but not grinding trade routes ad naseum for weeks on end just to buy a bigger ship with heftier maintenance costs. I'd rather go dogfighting for fun and make jack shit for credits than grind trade routes like I needed to in order to get my Asp in the first place....

Now, if there was a better way to earn serious credits, like by bounty hunting or mining, that would be very welcome.

The big problem with Elite is that the larger combat ships don't have the capability to earn money any faster than the small combat ships. A Python will only be able to bring in slightly more money than a Viper, with much more money at stake.

In all honesty it's completely broken.

LeBart

I still don't have enough money for a Cobra, and I doubt I will get to the better ships before the big expansions come out, but I actually kinda like that.
I love this game to death and I plan to keep playing it for a long time, so I'd hate to be "done" with it 3 months after release.

I do agree we could use a few more ships in lower price ranges though, but we're still far from the 30 ships promised, so I'm sure we'll get there.

Portman

I spent some time trying it out after the update last night and had fun with the camera. Be careful if you want to experiment since you can't hear (or react to) warnings such as temperature. I wanted to see if the heat sinks changed and attempted to overheat the ship thinking I would have a warning and just happened to go back to the normal view in time to see it starting to overheat.

The only NPC interdiction I encountered last night was a single one. I didn't go to the live server though so that may have played a role. I didn't want to risk running into any players testing out the camera so I will probably use the debug in solo mode exclusively.

owlbeak

E is the highest rating available for class 1 mc's. Need to move to class 2 ones if you want a higher rating (D for fixed)
...I just realized what happened. When I bought my "old" weapon setup, I put my beam lasers in my medium hardpoints and my multicannons on my small hardpoints, when I had it reversed earlier. That's why my multicannons suck. :)

Whoops!

Pomerlaw

I still don't have enough money for a Cobra, and I doubt I will get to the better ships before the big expansions come out, but I actually kinda like that.
I love this game to death and I plan to keep playing it for a long time, so I'd hate to be "done" with it 3 months after release.

I do agree we could use a few more ships in lower price ranges though, but we're still far from the 30 ships promised, so I'm sure we'll get there.

I will probably still play this game 5 years from now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Oh I love playing the game too, but chasing bigger and better ships just isn't a goal of mine. I just don't see any real reason to do that when the Asp is all I need to enjoy the game. Honestly I'd have downgraded myself to a Cobra long ago just for the economics of it if the view out of the Asp's cockpit wasn't so damn nice. Plus, I'd miss that angry snarl sound the Asp makes.

So I went into a "Low Intensity" conflict zone earlier.

Was filled to the brim with Anaconda's, Pythons, Vultures and ASPs

Not sure if bug or if High Intensity zones would instantly obliterate my Cobra.

I guess trading with players might be a way to easily increase profits faster. When the profits are split, how is it done? If the payout would normally be 100,000 CR and there are two players in the Wing, does each player get the 100k, or is it split 50/50?

DrBo42

Hmm... Possible prize cut on combat ships incoming?

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...reaking_news_out_of_mars_federal_military_to/

DrBo42, if you haven't bought the Python yet: consider waiting for a bit more.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Already flying it. :( Should I sell it off and re-buy?

Edit: Nope.

Michael Brookes said:
For players who currently own those ships we will provide a credits rebate for the difference - however this will happen after the price change.

Michael

LeBart

Dev Update.

TL;DR Price of combat ships will be lowered, more balance to come to make every role more viable, and...

Before I go, I know everyone is excited to learn more about PowerPlay, but we’re keeping this one close to our chests a little longer. For now I can promise it will be our biggest content update yet and will introduce some major new features to Elite: Dangerous’ galaxy. Of course, you’ll hear the first details about it here soon.

itshappening.gif

Dev Update.

TL;DR Price of combat ships will be lowered, more balance to come to make every role more viable, and...

itshappening.gif

Biggest content update yet? I don't even know what it is and I'm already hyped. Anybody have any theories based on the name "PowerPlay"? I'm hoping it's an update to missions, maybe adding some player factions.

StonedRider

I just paranoid that it will make it unplayable if groups of NPCs start pulling us out instead of a single one that we can run from.

I'm concerned about it too. I can escape Viper with shieldless Type 7 easily, loosing 5-15% of hull (I usually submit to interdictions, because it is faster), but if there will be four of them, or four Vultures, the probability of success seems to be too low.

owlbeak

As with any ongoing development we’re constantly examining balancing and there are some imbalances between the roles – in particular trading is too powerful compared with other play styles. We believe a player shouldn’t feel that they have to indulge in trading to reach the next suitable ship for their preferred way to play, so to make other roles more viable we’ll continue to strengthen the role of combat pilots, miners and explorers in the galaxy, making those paths a more viable option for progression in future updates.

In a minor update released before the end of the week we’ll reduce the price of non-trade ships and abolish the way fuel costs are scaled by ship type. What’s more, some of the smaller ships, like the Sidewinder will gain a powerful new advantage as their reduced profile makes them more effective for smuggling. These are minor changes but ones that dramatically increase the importance and viability of craft less suited to trading.
This is awesome to hear. Braben also tweeted and said the cost of the FDL was being lowered.

StonedRider

The big problem with Elite is that the larger combat ships don't have the capability to earn money any faster than the small combat ships. A Python will only be able to bring in slightly more money than a Viper, with much more money at stake.

In all honesty it's completely broken.

Too bad, that only way to make serious money is mindless grinding of trading routes!
And fighting in expensive ship is far from profitable now.

I think, after exploration I will switch to Cobra for Federation/Empire ranking and bounty hunting in Open. I am not very good in PvP, but will use tactical retreat a lot :)

Portman

Glad to see that they are looking into the other professions so that trading won't be the only serious way to make money. It is funny to me that I've been trying to do things to add some variety to the trade grind and then I find myself running numbers in my head for trade profit on the way to work. I can't figure out if that's a good sign or a bad sign!

owlbeak

Too bad, that only way to make serious money is mindless grinding of trading routes!
And fighting in expensive ship is far from profitable now.

I think, after exploration I will switch to Cobra for Federation/Empire ranking and bounty hunting in Open. I am not very good in PvP, but will use tactical retreat a lot :)
Really, the biggest change they can make to benefit everything IMO is to change missions. Missions pay next to nothing, they're boring, and they're all the same. Now, I wouldn't mind them being the same or relatively boring "Bring A to place B" if they paid well. But most are <15,000cr. Sounds like that will be addressed with Power Play hopefully.

DrBo42

Really, the biggest change they can make to benefit everything IMO is to change missions. Missions pay next to nothing, they're boring, and they're all the same. Now, I wouldn't mind them being the same or relatively boring "Bring A to place B" if they paid well. But most are <15,000cr. Sounds like that will be addressed with Power Play hopefully.

Amen brother. The cool thing about Rares when it was lucrative is that we had to travel 160+ ly away to make a delivery. Got me to visit other areas of space I wouldn't normally see, actually felt like space trucking. Thought it was really cool. Rather confused why they wouldn't make long distance trading like that part of a mission system.

StonedRider

Maybe they think this could break the balance of the game. If we will receive good rewards for such missions, everybody will be able buy and upgrade Cobra after couple of hours of playing the game.
They should make rewarding missions impossible to complete without good ship to avoid it.

owlbeak

Maybe they think this could break the balance of the game. If we will receive good rewards for such missions, everybody will be able buy and upgrade Cobra after couple of hours of playing the game.
They should make rewarding missions impossible to complete without good ship to avoid it.
But then it comes full circle back to how to players make money to get a decent ship without grinding trading? Right now trading is the only way to make the amount of money necessary to buy anything past the Cobra. You absolutely have to trade to grind out money to be able to afford any ship that's decent. I mean, you could not trade like me and get the money eventually, but I've been playing since December and have almost 5 million and I play for a couple hours a night doing various faction missions and bounty hunting at my leisure. Still a ways from an Asp and miles away from any other ship that I want.

There needs to be more ways to earn decent money. Missions are straight up bad right now and if they add more better paying missions they wouldn't have to be easy missions that reward a ton of money. Have more combat missions that are tough, but not impossible, that can be tackled in a Viper or Eagle.

StonedRider

Amen brother. The cool thing about Rares when it was lucrative is that we had to travel 160+ ly away to make a delivery. Got me to visit other areas of space I wouldn't normally see, actually felt like space trucking. Thought it was really cool. Rather confused why they wouldn't make long distance trading like that part of a mission system.

That would be great! Some long distance delivery missions and you are interdicted by rival faction ships. Or searching for something in a distant sector - for explorers.

Shifty76

But then it comes full circle back to how to players make money to get a decent ship without grinding trading? Right now trading is the only way to make the amount of money necessary to buy anything past the Cobra. You absolutely have to trade to grind out money to be able to afford any ship that's decent. I mean, you could not trade like me and get the money eventually, but I've been playing since December and have almost 5 million and I play for a couple hours a night doing various faction missions and bounty hunting at my leisure. Still a ways from an Asp and miles away from any other ship that I want.

There needs to be more ways to earn decent money. Missions are straight up bad right now and if they add more better paying missions they wouldn't have to be easy missions that reward a ton of money. Have more combat missions that are tough, but not impossible, that can be tackled in a Viper or Eagle.

The "kill General xxx" ones are along the lines of what all those mission rewards should be. 150k reward, easily doable in a viper / cobra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom