• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBart

No passengers, NPC crew or new station types in 2.0 is a pretty big bummer for me, but the rest is really exciting!

Why doesn't Alliance have their own ship like Mepire and Federation?

Z4Ezguf.jpg

Here tis: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1135028

EDIT: Unrelated, but back to the Kaushpoos mining CG: around 450 tons of ore puts you in the top 5% (which is a 10 mil at this point). That doesn't seem like very much, right?

EDIT: Just hit Tier 5! Sheeeit, fuck it. This evening, gonna undermine/interdict two ships to maintain my ALD bounty rank, then I'm heading back to Kaushpoos in an Asp. I think I can make it to the top 5%--an extra 5 mil would be nice :D

EDIT: Unrelated, but back to the Kaushpoos mining CG: around 450 tons of ore puts you in the top 5% (which is a 10 mil at this point). That doesn't seem like very much, right?
Not just any ore--palladium only. You'll have to work your ass off to reach the top 5% at this point if you haven't mined any yet. I have 346 tons delivered, and it'll probably take me another 4 hours of mining in the T9 to hit 500 tons of the stuff. I'm going to stop there and hope it's enough to keep me in the top 5%.

Not just any ore--palladium only. You'll have to work your ass off to reach the top 5% at this point if you haven't mined any yet. I have 346 tons delivered, and it'll probably take me another 4 hours of mining in the T9 to hit 500 tons of the stuff. I'm going to stop there and hope it's enough to keep me in the top 5%.

okay.jpg :(

Maybe I can still get in on the 99% bracket, at least.

Hylian7

So I was having a conversation with Dreams about this, and we were under different impressions on Powerplay commodities.

The way I thought they worked: If you have Rating 5, you get 50T of PP commodity every 30 minutes. You have the option to pay 500k CR to fast track the next one, or just wait 30 minutes. You can keep fast tracking until you fill your hold. This was working like this last night, I kept filling my cargo hold and made easy merits.

How he thought it worked: You are allocated the 50T every 30 minutes, you can then fast track ONE more, then you have to wait the time after that. Essentially you get two every 30 minutes of you spend the 500k.

He said that if it is working the way it was for me, then that's a bug. I'm not so sure, but if it is a bug, well, ez PP merits of you have a decent transport ship.

Anyone know which way it is supposed to work?

^ I was thinking exactly the same as you, but I've never paid to fast track. Might give it a shot later this week.

First run of the night was good. Very good. Gonna go for just one more before hanging it up for this CG.

Dat rock:

Dat haul:

61% hull from just one interdiction on my first jump out of 43296. That was thrilling, as I have absolutely no defenses--just a pure mining workhorse who can only run very, very slowly. Quite a tense ride back.

Edit: Top 5% with 620 tons. Hope that holds. I'll have earned 40 million from this CG with the current payout. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning if the top tier was made. Mining is pretty awesome. Glad I tried that. Either way, my Anaconda is secured. Can't wait!

Hylian7

American Daylight Savings Time was a mistake and is nothing but trash.

What does this have to do with Elite I hear all of you asking?

Well as you know, the Powerplay cycle resets every Thursday at 7am GMT. For the last many months, this was 2am in my time. I budgeted how much time I had, and planned to make runs of power commodity and finish rating 5 again.

Except in the process of doing this, I was about 500 short because the cycle reset ONE HOUR SOONER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD. So now I'm rating 4, instead of 5. And now getting 5 next week just became more expensive because I'm only allowed 25 power commodity every 30 minutes (and by proxy 500k to fast track 25 more), and on top of that, I don't get the +100% bounty payouts this week. I am so fucking pissed, I was so close and got screwed out of it by a technicality like this. Fuck man.

Fuck daylight savings time, stupid shit.

DrBo42

American Daylight Savings Time was a mistake and is nothing but trash.

What does this have to do with Elite I hear all of you asking?

Well as you know, the Powerplay cycle resets every Thursday at 7am GMT. For the last many months, this was 2am in my time. I budgeted how much time I had, and planned to make runs of power commodity and finish rating 5 again.

Except in the process of doing this, I was about 500 short because the cycle reset ONE HOUR SOONER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD. So now I'm rating 4, instead of 5. And now getting 5 next week just became more expensive because I'm only allowed 25 power commodity every 30 minutes (and by proxy 500k to fast track 25 more), and on top of that, I don't get the +100% bounty payouts this week. I am so fucking pissed, I was so close and got screwed out of it by a technicality like this. Fuck man.

Fuck daylight savings time, stupid shit.

It sounds like you don't like the taste of freedom. Is that what you're saying?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yup. Hopefully it goes away soon. No one needs this anymore, those times are long gone.

I would LOVE for it to go away, forever. I hate getting home from work in the dark already, this time of year it's like the only sunlight I get to experience is on the weekends.

StonedRider

I would LOVE for it to go away, forever. I hate getting home from work in the dark already, this time of year it's like the only sunlight I get to experience is on the weekends.

I'm not from US, but we have daylight saving time too and I like it!

It is much easier for me to wake up hour later now in November because it is too dark otherwise. But if we would not shift this hour back again in spring, sun rises at 5:00 in our area, I better have one more hour before sunset than early morning while I sleep. Sorry for OT!

Aaah, now THIS is a dev update!

David’s sneak peek last week showed some of the settlement action so I’ll describe some aspects of this in more detail. Ports and settlements are the upper end of the scale of locations you can discover on planet’s surfaces. They can vary in size themselves from huge, established conglomerations of structures to quite small outposts. Surface starports are generally the largest and they act in a similar way to the starports in orbit. They can have the same facilities and have economies dependent on the type of world and with specific variations depending on the starport itself. New economy types have been added that only apply to surface starports.

As with the orbital starports, missions can be taken from surface starports and they can take you to surface bases. Similarly missions can be issued from orbital starports that require visiting the surface – assuming you have the ability to do so. There are also new mission variants that apply only to surface operations.

Complementing this is a range of resources and commodities that are only available from surface starports or by collection from points of interest as I mentioned last week. We’re also adding a new type of method for locating resources and uses for them which is a prelude for the loot and crafting system coming later in the Horizons season – more on this soon.

The surface starports and settlements are where the population of these airless worlds live and present various opportunities for Commanders. The style and layout of these facilities reflects their purpose. One of my favourite examples of this is the prison colony – this is an imposing and well-guarded structure that you might need to penetrate to facilitate a prison break.

Surface installations are a lot more open than orbital stations. Of course you can collect and deliver goods from surface bases, but it is also possible to hack data links, sections of bases get power from specific generators – taking out those generators takes out the lights in that section, but also the power to the turrets… Skimmers can also be taken out, or taking out the towers that control them can be just as effective way of breaching the defences. Whether it’s a secret research base or a prison colony, there are multiple stages to carrying out your objectives.

As we’ve shown and mentioned already it is advisable to take a flexible approach to these settlements – some of them are protected by capital ship scale weaponry that is lethal against ships, although less so against the SRVs – both because of their slower motion, but also they have a minimum angle of declination – so a Scarab can use the landscape to stay below the guns in most cases. Smaller turrets and skimmers are more of a threat to the SRVs. If you’re operating in a wing then each Commander can work in different roles at the same time, but even on your own you can achieve the same effect more slowly by switching between your ship and SRV accordingly.

Depending on the world’s population there can be none, a few, or many of these surface starports and settlements. As you’d expect they’re more common within the human habited bubble, but they’re not exclusive to that volume. Similar crime and ownership rules apply to settlements and ports as they do to space stations and outposts. Some of these can be lawless, others where the law is enforced – so take care before opening fire! As well as the bounties available at these sites you can encounter settlements in a state of war which can be engaged in a similar fashion to combat zones.

So far we’ve focused on the locations and the more action orientated gameplay, but naturally there’s more to planetary landings than that. I’ve already talked about the points of interest you can discover, but how you find them utilises a new device on the SRV, in addition to the ground scanner you have already seen. This works very differently to the ship scanners and we’ll reveal more about this next week.

Having said all this, we are still at work on the base game too. This week we updated the galaxy sim that fixes an issue with asset ownership not flipping when a conflict is resolved. A cap on influence changes has been added – this scales depending on the population of the system (a higher population allows a bigger swing) and the degree of changes (so a large value of changes allows more change in influence) and limits the maximum amount of change in a system when the background simulation effects are calculated. This will prevent the massive swings that we’ve seen, but a concerted campaign can still bring a faction down quickly if it is not countered. For the player group minor factions that were affected by the massive drops we’ll reset them to their initial ownership state where we can.

tl;dr
  • Surface starports are generally the largest structures and are very similar to orbital starports: have similar facilities, economies dependent on type of world
  • There are variations of surface starports
  • Surface starports have some new economy types that are unique
  • Missions can be taken from starports
  • Some missions will direct you to surface bases (both surface and orbital starports can issue you surface missions)
  • Mission variants that apply only to surface ops
  • Range of resources/commodities available at surface starports or points of interest
  • There is a new method for locating resources, as well as new uses for resources (acting as prelude to loot/crafting update--more on this soon)
  • Layout of settlements are representative of their purpose--for example, a prison colony is imposing/well-guarded
  • Prison break missions :D
  • Some settlements have dynamic infrastructure--you can hack data links, disable power to specific base sections by cutting off/destroying their power generators to disable lights and power to turrets
  • Skimmers can be taken out directly, but taking out towers that control them is just as effective
  • Secret research bases are a type of settlement
  • Some settlements are protected by capital ship-scale weapons which are designed to take out ships, but SRVs may be able to avoid
  • Again emphasizes "combined arms" ideas--Wing made up of a mix of players/vessels can be very effective
  • Size and frequency of settlements correlates with the world's population
  • Crime/ownership rules for settlements and surface ports are similar to space--some can be lawless, others have the law enforced
  • Bounties are available from settlements
  • Settlements in states of war will have conflict zones on the surface!
  • Next week they'll talk about the new point-of-interest scanner on the SRV

StonedRider

I'm so excited about all this! ^^^
It opens so much more possibilities! And with upcoming looting and crafting game rises to completely another level.

As we know, if you die in SRV, you will be returned to your ship. But what about SRV? Should you buy a new one? Is there any kind of insurance?

Another question, if you commit a crime on the surface, does your wanted status carry over to system space?

Riddick? Riddick! ^^

YESSSSS

I'm so excited about all this! ^^^
It opens so much more possibilities! And with upcoming looting and crafting game rises to completely another level.

As we know, if you die in SRV, you will be returned to your ship. But what about SRV? Should you buy a new one? Is there any kind of insurance?

Another question, if you commit a crime on the surface, does your wanted status carry over to system space?

I think I heard that you are returned to your ship and faced with an insurance screen. However, I don't know if it auto-respawns an SRV in your ship or if you have to go pick it up somewhere. Maybe it's like now, where it respawns for pickup at the latest station you were at? No idea.

I would think that your criminal status would follow you if that faction is present anywhere else in the system.

StonedRider

I think I heard that you are returned to your ship and faced with an insurance screen. However, I don't know if it auto-respawns an SRV in your ship or if you have to go pick it up somewhere. Maybe it's like now, where it respawns for pickup at the latest station you were at? No idea.

It would be very inconvenient to fly to the starport and buy/take another SRV after every fail, but it would be quite unrealistic if it magically respawns inside the ship after paying insurance in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I like the second variant more.

Soooooo any news on this ever supporting Rift SDK 7? I kinda want to jump back into this....but not if I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so.

Hylian7

cry.gif

It's really not too much of a loss. Those of us under ALD aren't strapped for cash, and while this takes away some, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I really wish there was a button for something like "Fast track Power commodity until cargo hold is full" For me right now, it's a tedious process of "Take 25, claim cargo, hit fast track, repeat until full (My Anaconda holds 450)"

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow that video really shows off the sheer scale of some of these planetary bodies we can land on.

Yeah, planets seem impossibly large, how can we ever expect to explore all of every one of them?

Can't fuckin wait to get Horizons and start trying, LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Newsletter :D

You beta peeps can try out the Corvette and Clipper next week!

Next week (w/b 09/11/2015), Commanders with beta access will be able to test out the new ships coming to Elite Dangerous 1.5, including the Imperial Cutter, the Federal Corvette and the Keelback. We’ll let you know through the normal channels the precise date once we get final confirmation from the team.

As for the mist:

This week, David's sneak peek videos of Elite Dangerous: Horizons continued, showing off a cold, deep misty crater. The mist is formed from volatiles released from the rocks below. These are not uncommon, and even possible at high temperatures, where lead vapour can also form high temperature mists.

Livestream next week to show 1.5 ships and materials for the crafting/looting system!

Continuing our On the Horizon series of livestreams, Community Manager Edward Lewis will be joined by Lead Designer Sandro Sammarco for a live Q&A, and a chat about some of the previously unseen features coming as part of Planetary Landings, including collectable resources found on planet surfaces that we're calling 'Materials '.

Materials are one of the many exciting features coming to Elite Dangerous: Horizons at launch, and they lay the foundation for the loot system that will be a part of the next Horizons expansion during 2016.

As part of the livestream Sandro will also be giving us a tour of the new ships that you'll be able to fly in the 1.5 and Horizons 2.0 Betas. Keep a close eye on our forum and social media channels for more details on how you can get your questions to Sandy before the livestream starts.

The stream will start at 7PM GMT on Tuesday November 10 on our official YouTube channel.

Also, vote on the name of the nebula station: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=197846

oh my effing gee

Ok, maybe someone here could confirm my suspicions: if we bought the Horizons beta, we'll only have beta access to the 2.0 stuff on the 24th of November (which should include the 1.5 ships), and the 1.5 beta on the 9th will only be open to those who have beta access for the original E:D release, yeah? If so, crap, I really wanted to try those ships sooner, but I'll be happily visiting planet surfaces before the end of the month, so I'm not too upset.

Well I got myself a sexy little courier so I'm happy. The clipper was just too much, though, felt like it fell far short of the Vulture in combat and was unbearably slow for its capabilities. And those hardpoints, why Gutamaya? Why?

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try for a Courier. If anything, I'll sell my Vulture ;( and buy it back later.

How do you like the Courier?

Pomerlaw

I got my Clipper. Coudn't resist. I mean... LOOK AT IT (sorry for the low res pics, I always play OPEN).

nc9WUTF.png

w5OSVRp.png

The stock one is pretty weak, and it is expansive to upgrade. But at least I have one, and didn't have to help the Empire to get it. :)

Jedi2016

Oh man, almost bit it again. Picked a fight with a Federal Assault Ship that had an Anaconda buddy with him that I thought was already being engaged by the Feds. But for once the Anaconda thought I was the juicier target for picking on his buddy. Bugged out with 7% hull and about 2.5M worth of unclaimed bounties. Holy crap.

But, that did give me enough to upgrade my hull, so I'll last longer than two seconds once my shields go down (at least three or four seconds now.. lol). Also need to see about keeping those shields up more... shield boosters are pretty much out because I'm almost at max power as it is (it's a Vulture, there's not much you can do with those even with a class A power plant).

But now I'm broke again, still pining for the ridiculous cash I'll need to get a FDL. It's gonna be a while.

Hey, speaking of ships... way back when, they said that beta backers would be getting a free ship, out of the ones that hadn't been released at launch. Is that still going to happen, or was the free Eagle they gave us at launch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom