• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BI0Wzno.jpg

I think you have to buy it through FD's store, not Steam to get that discount.

That little green box implies the FD store and Steam store both apply. I think.

owlbeak

How long do you guys think the beta will last for this one before full release? Considering upping my preorder to the beta access, but not sure if the extra $15 is worth a week of access?

who am i kidding, i'm going to do it anyway

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
How long do you guys think the beta will last for this one before full release? Considering upping my preorder to the beta access, but not sure if the extra $15 is worth a week of access?

They've been saying a few weeks after beta launch until release, so most likely a tad before Christmas I'd wager.

Ocho

Pretty much all 'loot' I find on space is illegal. Most missions I get are illegal. Is this game a criminal sandbox? Do I have less to do because I prefer non illegal activities?

Hylian7

ENTITLED GAMER ALERT, ENTITLE GAMER ALERT

Calm down, guys, you act like this is your first patch day.

I paid for that shit, I better get what I actually paid for. Don't throw that "Entitled gamer" shit at me. At the very least it needs to be fixed within minutes, not hours.

Fireblend

Banned
So since I bought the game on sale a couple days ago, if I want horizons i'll have to purchase it for $45... right? Is it just the beta or the full thing that's releasing soon?

DrBo42

So since I bought the game on sale a couple days ago, if I want horizons i'll have to purchase it for $45... right? Is it just the beta or the full thing that's releasing soon?
You'd have to buy the beta version, normal version of Horizons doesn't include the beta that's releasing today.

https://twitter.com/Frontier_Help/status/671413145274097664

Edit : I see plenty of people getting the update of my facebook feed, just be patient guys.

Nah fuck that. Time is money!

JambiBum

For steam users, you still get the discount towards the beta/preorder when you buy it from their store. Once the expansion actually releases you'll get a steam key attached to your account that you can add to your steam account. If you want to play the beta now however, you have to buy the beta version which is like 10 dollars extra. You'll then get an option on your account page to download their launcher instead of using steam.

If you have a Steam installation, you should see the horizon beta if you launch the launcher directly from the file system, not from Steam. (obviously, that only applies to those who have beta access with their account for Horizon)

TheTrain

If you have a Steam installation, you should see the horizon beta if you launch the launcher directly from the file system, not from Steam. (obviously, that only applies to those who have beta access with their account for Horizon)

That's a good news, I'll download it from Steam then. Frontier server are getting hammered xD

Apologies, CMDR's - servers went boom when word broke. We're holding back until things stabilise.

- CMDR Sticks

https://twitter.com/Frontier_Help/status/671413145274097664

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Lol!

I didn't get the beta... so I'll be jealous of you guys until I just succomb to pay for it hahaha

Yep me too, I only have the Mercenary Edition of the game and I only bought the normal Horizons version for $45, so no beta for me. I'm fine with that though, I've got mining and exploring to do while we wait for launch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, if it's a few weeks, that'll be fine, as I'm still coming to grasps with things (and then JC3 and Xenoblade). Maybe I'll finish those before Horizon's proper comes out.

Hylian7

Quoting myself in case people missed it.

Where in the file system? I originally bought on Frontier's store, and redeemed the Steam key, so where should mine be?

Edit: Got it! Just go to Steam/steamapps/common/Elite Dangerous and launch EDLaunch.exe and it should be there if you have access. Installing right now.

Where in the file system? I originally bought on Frontier's store, and redeemed the Steam key, so where should mine be?

Easiest way is to right click the game in steam, click properties. Then click the Local Files tab and then click browse local files... button. Run EdLaunch.exe

That doesn't make any sense. Launching it from the steam directory is no different from launching via steam.

Launch from Steam client, no option. Launch from file system, it's there. That was my experience and was what I witnessed on the stream I was watching that made me give it a try.

Serrato

From Reddit :

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...the_beta_isnt_showing_up_in_the_launcher_for/

first go to elite dangerous in steam
right click elite dangerous and hit properties
go to local files and then hit "Browse Local Files"
and open "EDLaunch" and it should work
Not a steam Player?
Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch and Launch EDLaunch
STILL didnt work?
Navigate to https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/downloadable/customer/products/
Re-download the launcher, install it, and run!

JambiBum

If you don't have the launcher from their store downloaded, then you have to start the launcher from the file system like other people have stated because the beta isn't tied to steam at all. You can have both the launcher from FD and steam downloaded and just launch the FD one for betas like most people do.

JambiBum

Would anyone be interested if I set up a discord server for ED gaf? The old mumble server we used for ED is dead now and we have enough new people that it would be handy to have. Easier to ask questions and stuff that way as well.

This guy just started on the surface: http://www.twitch.tv/fruitymilk/

EDIT: Seem to be texture streaming/pop-in issues at some points. REALLY hope they can remove that pause when you transition out of orbital cruise :-|

Also, can't wait to see the screenshots of some of these weird planets. BRING THEM ON

QgQCbA3.png

heringer

Bought the game on the sale. Doing the training so far.

I beat the Cobra in the training. Is that sort of in line with what I'll encounter in the game or is it super easy just to introduce me to the game?

Still undecided if I'll use keyboard and mouse or X360 controller. What are you guys using? And if you are using keyboard and mouse, any recommended bindings out there?

So my client has play, play 1.5 ships beta (32bit), play 1.5 ships beta (64bit)

This is Horizon, right? Despite the name.

That said, I am downloading it. Slowly that is :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bought the game on the sale. Doing the training so far.

I beat the Cobra in the training. Is that sort of in line with what I'll encounter in the game or is it super easy just to introduce me to the game?

Still undecided if I'll use keyboard and mouse or X360 controller. What are you guys using? And if you are using keyboard and mouse, any recommended bindings out there?

Ships will have a combat rating (from Harmless to Elite), ships with higher ratings are significantly tougher, though the combat is never really overly hard unless you try to bite off more then you can chew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom