• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

I have been stuck at Petty Officer in the Federation since March. I have done so many damn missions for various Federation allied factions all over populated space and cannot seem to get the next naval progression mission to pop.

It's driving me crazy!

DrBo42

I have been stuck at Petty Officer in the Federation since March. I have done so many damn missions for various Federation allied factions all over populated space and cannot seem to get the next naval progression mission to pop.

It's driving me crazy!

1.5 gives you a progress meter on military ranking. It'll be easier to track soon. But I can't promise it'll be any less awful to grind. They really need to overhaul that.

owlbeak

1.5 gives you a progress meter on military ranking. It'll be easier to track soon. But I can't promise it'll be any less awful to grind. They really need to overhaul that.
Praise Braben! I just want to make sure I'm progressing and it's not bugged out or something. I hear you can ask Frontier support and they will tell you, but I don't want to bother them with that when they are trying to launch Horizons beta.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Cobra is a game changer of a ship. An amazing multi-role ship that can be used for a long time. However, I'd earn a bit more before risking the rebuy cost because no vanilla, non-upgraded ship is worth flying. Personally, I'd wait until you get close to a million to buy a Cobra and then upgrade.

How much is the rebuy? I haven't figured out the % of original cost that is, assuming it's the same % for all ships. Sidewinder with some add-ons is like 1k, and I don't think I had my hauler destroyed before I sold it.

I will add, my vidya playing time is going get hectic, with Just Cause 3 and Xenoblade Xhronixles XX coming out this week. Wonder if I can figure out a way to play Elite and Xeno X at the same time. How dangerous is deep space exploration? Can I sit in one place without drawing argh pirate attention?

DrBo42

I will add, my vidya playing time is going get hectic, with Just Cause 3 and Xenoblade Xhronixles XX coming out this week. Wonder if I can figure out a way to play Elite and Xeno X at the same time. How dangerous is deep space exploration? Can I sit in one place without drawing argh pirate attention?

If you're actually out of civilized space, you're alone.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| To boldly drive where no commander has driven before

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Who wants to go racing in moon canyons?

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| How did these rocket engines get on my Buggy?

Fireblend

Banned
Got the game a couple days ago on sale. It seems like it has a huge learning curve, but I think I have most of the basics down, and I love how it looks so I want to make an effort to get into it.

How am I supposed to find quests early on? I'm wandering between stations trying to find quests that seem suitable for my level, but most don't have any. I got a couple mining ones, but it looks like I can't do any mining yet with the starting equipment?

Also, when plotting routes on my galaxy map, I'm afraid to run out of fuel. Will the map warn me somehow if I'm charting an impossible route for my fuel amount?

Ocho

Should I go dual joysticks (t16000m) or joystick and throttle (t1600m + CH Throttle)? Going two joysticks is definitively cheaper, and I like the concept of the 6 degrees of freedom I would get out of them, but I feel manipulating the throttle in ED is pretty important (and I read CH Throttle has a nice analogue stick).

Also plan on grabbing SC.

SmartBase

Should I go dual joysticks (t16000m) or joystick and throttle (t1600m + CH Throttle)? Going two joysticks is definitively cheaper, and I like the concept of the 6 degrees of freedom I would get out of them, but I feel manipulating the throttle in ED is pretty important (and I read CH Throttle has a nice a nice analogue stick).

Also plan on grabbing SC.

I'm biased, but you'd get pretty good 6DOF with the latter setup.

DrBo42

Got the game a couple days ago on sale. It seems like it has a huge learning curve, but I think I have most of the basics down, and I love how it looks so I want to make an effort to get into it.

How am I supposed to find quests early on? I'm wandering between stations trying to find quests that seem suitable for my level, but most don't have any. I got a couple mining ones, but it looks like I can't do any mining yet with the starting equipment?

Also, when plotting routes on my galaxy map, I'm afraid to run out of fuel. Will the map warn me somehow if I'm charting an impossible route for my fuel amount?

Mining is something you don't want to get into without some sort of trade ship or multi-role ship.

The dotted line shows you a jump you can't make without refueling.

Burny

The simple answer is: Don't!

The quickest and most effective way to make credits early on is to go to RES (Resource Extraction Site, usually found in rocky or metallic rings) or Nav beacons and help the security ships to kill some wanted NPCs. Don't forget to let the scan finish, so you can see who is wanted or not! As an alternative: If you can find a mission that gives you one or two tons of cargo to smuggle somehwere, that's also a good way to start out.

The reason here is, that any form of trading or courier running in a sidewinder is a pain. That ship has a laughable amount of cargo, before upgrades a very low jump range and is hardly fit for more than a training ship.

First thing you ought to do, is to get out of the sidewinder! Adder or Hauler are the next steps for trading, A Viper is the next step for combat. With those ships and a couple of upgrades, you'll have a far better time with the missions. Just don't attempt an assassination mission with a 200k+ payout. ;)

The map won't warn you as far as I know. You'll just find out that you can't make a jump, when you try to activate the FSD. Edit: beaten and apparently it does. Useful to know. ;)

Wreav

Banned
The bug title was a joke...FD have done a tremendous job with this game and its updates, and I wouldn't want to put the vibe out to the gaming side that it's a buggy game.

Fireblend

Banned
Mining is something you don't want to get into without some sort of trade ship or multi-role ship.

That's what I guessed. I saw several missions that seemed easy enough, but when charting a course it didn't look like I was able to reach it because of the dotted lines. Should I worry about that, or is finding space stations on the way a reasonable assumption?

Fireblend

Banned
The simple answer is: Don't!

The quickest and most effective way to make credits early on is to go to RES (Resource Extraction Site, usually found in rocky or metallic rings) or Nav beacons and help the security ships to kill some wanted NPCs. Don't forget to let the scan finish, so you can see who is wanted or not! As an alternative: If you can find a mission that gives you one or two tons of cargo to smuggle somehwere, that's also a good way to start out.
Interesting. How do I find one of these RES places? Should I just start looking for one on my Galaxy Map?

Interesting. How do I find one of these RES places? Should I just start looking for one on my Galaxy Map?

From the Galaxy Map, look for stars listed as "Extraction" economies. Check them in "System View" to see if they have planets with rings. If they do, go to the system and fly towards the planets with rings. If they have RES sites, you'll see them in the first tab of the left panel just like how stations are listed. Select them and fly in.

DrBo42

That's what I guessed. I saw several missions that seemed easy enough, but when charting a course it didn't look like I was able to reach it because of the dotted lines. Should I worry about that, or is finding space stations on the way a reasonable assumption?

Typically if you're in civilized space you don't have to worry too much about getting some fuel. You can go into system view via the Galaxy map on your next jump to make sure it at least has an outpost. Or you can grab a fuel scoop and start scooping from stars. Although that requires a certain star age etc with hydrogen you can scoop from its chromasphere or whatever scientific mumbo-jumbo.

Burny

In inhabited space, you'll usually find a station. You dan't want to rely on getting there to refuel though. Imagine wasting 10 minutes after every second jump, just to refuel. If you know you'll have to travel, get a fuel scoop.

Alright, so the current OT is arranged like so:

• General
    • Trailers
    • Dev
    • Release Date
    • Platforms
    • Game Modes
    • Cost
  • Hardware Reqs
    • Peripheral Support
  • What is E:D?
  • Meet the Players (factions)
    • Alliance
    • Fed
    • Empire
    • Pilot's Fed
    • Thargoid
  • Choose your Path
    • Combat
      • Bounties
      • Privateering
      • Faction Missions
    • Trading
      • Hauling
      • Mining
      • Smuggler
    • Exploration
      • Discovery Scanner
  • Ships (all playable ships)
  • Weapons and Outfitting
    • External systems
    • Internal systems
    • Paint and decals
  • What's Next?
  • Resources
    • GAF list
    • GAF Mumble
    • Tweaks and configs
    • Charts
    • HOTAS options
    • Head tracking

Which sections do you want built out? Any specific info you'd like to see in specific sections? New sections to be added? etc.

Lonestar

From the Galaxy Map, look for stars listed as "Extraction" economies. Check them in "System View" to see if they have planets with rings. If they do, go to the system and fly towards the planets with rings. If they have RES sites, you'll see them in the first tab of the left panel just like how stations are listed. Select them and fly in.

Came across a planet with a large ring, and flew in towards an extraction zone. Came out of supercruise and found a nicely done field of asteroid-size boulders. Very nicely done. I proceeded to fly "down" through the ring, watching the planet in the distance. Very impressed.

Yeah, I wondered about the dotting line early, as I went out on a long journey, to find myself in back to back to back systems that didn't have any stations, and had yet to grab a fuel scoop. So the game has a very, very loose warning you will run out of fuel, and will allow you to find out the hard way.

TheTrain

Horizon unofficial Preview - Spreadsheet

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (Horizons)

- Ships can land on planet surfaces!

Orbital cruise mode added
Sub-orbital flight mode added
Added glide path planetary approach flight model
Added the Planetary Landing module slot
Scanner landing radar added
Adjusted ships that can carry SRVs to have sufficient clearance when landed
Added the ability to dismiss and recall your ship
FA Off for planetary flight model
Added Planetary Approach Suites to all starter load outs
Added Planetary Approach Suite to all ships
Added current gravity strength indicator
Added role switch GUI panel
Can deploy SRV when landed
Can deploy SRV at planetary ports

- SRV Surface Operations

SRV surface driving added
SRV vertical boost added
SRV turret added
SRV surface interactions added
Wave scanner added
Playable Scarab SRV added
Terrain scanner added
Added SRV specific control options
Add pilot animations for SRV

- Planet Rendering

Updated mid-distance planet rendering
Added surface rendering for airless worlds
Added quality settings for surface rendering
Improved planet lighting
Added detail objects for surface

- NPC surface skimmers added

Goliath
Sentry
Guardian
Stinger 2

- Added surface ports

Players can dock at planetary ports
NPC ships use planetary ports
Added planetary ports as mission targets/givers
Added planet surface market specific commodities

- Added surface settlements

Art assets added
Opposition strength variants added
Added air defense turrets
Added ground attack turrets
Surface base components added
Surface base interaction points added
Settlement data link rewards added
Trespass zones added

- Added surface points of interest

Scanner indication added
Wave scanner signals added
Materials POIs added
Encounter POIs added
Natural POIs added
Structure POIs added

- Materials & Synthesis

Added generation of materials
Added synthesis
AFM module resupply
FSD Boost
Ship projectile resupply
SRV hull repair
SRV refuel
SRV ammo refill

Synthesis quality bonuses

- Missions

Add planetary Missions
Make some missions only spawn at planetary ports
Add rare planetary missions
Add off-base planetary missions

- GUI

Nav panel indicate planets that can be landed on
Hook planet map into the 'hyperlinking' we support with galaxy/system map
Provide direct access to the planet map from the cockpit
Added planetary schematic map
System map: Adding planetary resource level in info panel
Indicate if a nav target is on the other side of the planet
Render trespass zone boundaries over the terrain schematics
Show settlement and ports locations on planetary map

- General

NEW: 64 bit client!
Added Horizons specific starter package
Planetary permits added
Added Black Friday paint jobs

NEW FEATURES/CONTENT (1.5)

Added Vive support
Did we mention that we have the 64 bit client now available?!

STABILITY FIXES

CQC: Prevent "Waiting for Players" with a full lobby
Don't try and update the navigation panel when in CQC

GENERAL TWEAKS & FIXES
- Fixed some ASP dirtmap issues
- Fixed a geometry issue on the Anaconda
- Changed the position of camera decal 1 & 3 on the Diamondback
- Fixed Sidewinder landing gear collision issue
- New shadow profile to improve the quality of shadows in asteroid field locations, the main difference being a reduced amount of adaptability to prevent excessive shadow blurring when distant asteroids are in view.
- Fixed repetitive audio glitch after CQC Team Deathmatch
- Closed hole in mesh for the Federal Assault Ship
- If a button is currently using a default binding then show that in the binding’s option screen rather than just appearing blank.
- Added a new size 1 slot to the Sidewinder and Eagle and edited the horizons load out for the sidewinder so that it has two cargo in that slot
- The cockpit canopy can now be repaired by the AFM
- Fixed Russian Stats page texts shows as missing characters throughout
- Fix offset mouse pointer on Station menu, shipyard and insurance screen
- Imperial cutters Mouse Widget is inclined towards one corner fixed
- If a head tracking library fails to load, even though we have a path to it, then make sure it goes into the error state rather than attempting to load the dll every frame
- Fix for distant asteroid billboards partially showing through the asteroid models
- Orca's bobblehead placement adjustments (wobbly bobbles).
- System Map VR: - Added the concept of a Base Scale that scales all GUI, planet miniatures and dolly ranges to make everything pleasantly bigger and further away (as we deal with locked FOVs in VR opposed to orthographic)
- System Map: Add a different global scale to the label manager for VR to make the text larger
- Ensures that the player's pilot gender is represented correctly in the cockpit
- Made the schematics bigger for the construction phases of the Occellus Stations
- Fixed NPCs not becoming Wanted (if appropriate) or turning red when attacking player in a large ship
- Wakes created by ships that the local player knows the names of now display the name of that ship. This should help the mission NPCs that ask you to follow their wake
- Fixed the animation issue with the doors of the vulture
- Fix for 10cr repair bug
- Shields regenerate at a much faster rate while docked
- Fixed Cutter's decal cameras
- Ship dashboard GUI still present when viewing Bobbleheads in Outfitting
- Track CQC gametype when entering matchmaking to prevent entering lobbys of another gametype
- Fixed clipping bobbleheads in the Eagle
- Nav markers now have an 'obscured' visual state when the location is behind a planet/star
- Add a Terrain Material Quality setting to the graphics options menu
- Fixed animation clipping on the nacelle hard point doors
- Fixed sometimes incorrectly showing the generic "failed to join" message rather than the "session is full" message when trying to join a full CQC game
- Made it so that the cockpit module isn't visible in the module panel while playing CQC
- Added specialized VR mesh for the outfitting screen
- Make player ship invulnerable when player's in a buggy (Temporary for Beta 1)
- Missiles are now more effective against shields
- Updated translations
- Fed fighter drive lighting fixed
- Added three stage slider background to FSD boost slider in the galaxy map
- Make sure that heat sinks are affected by gravity when launched
- Increased the hopper ammo amount for the fragmentation cannons from 30 to 90
- Prevent excessive spamming of telemetry from edServer to webServer after a player has followed a jump wake
- Starter package Sidewinders (and bought) now come with low powered gimballed pulse lasers
- Add missing mission assassin chatter
- Imperial Cutter's Mouse Widget is inclined towards one corner
- Resized the Standard bullet impact FX game wide to fix the standard bullet impact from being too large when hitting shields
- You can raise your landing gear while landed via the function panel fixed
- Turn off proximity warnings in super cruise, they feel odd near planets, and aren't that helpful anyway
- Refuel all vehicles in the target ship's launch bay when docking at a market
- For the Beta 2 public test, Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus star system also has all modules and ships available in stock
- Fix occasional transaction server errors for users with very large numbers of friends
- Slightly retuned background sim to give greater daily influence changes for a given amount of player activity
- Various sever performance and reliability improvements
- Add missing hitmen types
- Try to improve the feedback for contact mission types
- Decrease mission respawn time and number of missions at boards
- Increase timed assassination targets spawn rate
- Generally fix target spawning errors
- Added new mission icons
- Add fines to early abandonment where applicable
- Some reputation/influence/state value fixes

Xbox One Changes
- Fix some issues when adding preflight checks to the Xbox controls
- If ship is destroyed while controller is disconnected, handle when the controller is disconnected in CQC as well as normal play
- Make sure the session is full error is displayed if that is the reason for not joining a session
- Don't show disconnection messages if we're in the controller disconnect flow
- Enabled the FOV graphics setting on Xbox to help people compensate against TVs cropping the screen edges off
- Improve network problems diagnostics messaging
- Don't give up on waiting for a voice comms name if the other player is in the unnamedVoiceCommsUsers list and so the name retrieval is still underway

Server Side Changes
- Fix occasional transaction server errors for users with very large numbers of friends
- Slightly retuned background sim to give greater daily influence changes for a given amount of player activity
- Many performance and reliability improvements

It's happening!

So I think OT2 should go up sometime this week, but should we have an announcement thread for the beta? I'm fine with waiting a few hours, maybe some beta CMDRs will have some nice screens/footage by then.

DrBo42

It's happening!

So I think OT2 should go up sometime this week, but should we have an announcement thread for the beta? I'm fine with waiting a few hours, maybe some beta CMDRs will have some nice screens/footage by then.

I dunno, I feel like OT2 should wait until Horizons actually launches. Makes more sense as it's a start of year 2 content. Beta thread makes sense I guess, considering all the threads that were made for the announcements etc.

Mengy

The actual OT2 will have to wait until launch day for Horizons. The mods have been pretty consistent on that since the OT rules change, if it goes up early they will just lock it and reopen it on launch day.

There could be a new thread for the Horizons Beta though, something temporary until Horizons launches. Or we could just keep discussing the game here until launch. :)

JambiBum

I think most of you missed my post since it was near the bottom of the last page, but I talked to a mod about the OT stuff and he said since our OP is banned that we can go ahead and make a new OT earlier than 20k posts so that someone can add in the beta/Horizons info. The mod will just close this one like they normally close old OTs once they reach the post limit. When Horizons officially launches we can either make a brand new OT or just change the title of the current one.

DrBo42

I think most of you missed my post since it was near the bottom of the last page, but I talked to a mod about the OT stuff and he said since our OP is banned that we can go ahead and make a new OT earlier than 20k posts so that someone can add in the beta/Horizons info. The mod will just close this one like they normally close old OTs once they reach the post limit. When Horizons officially launches we can either make a brand new OT or just change the title of the current one.

Well typically you just make a new OT for an expansion release so it gets eyes in the actual main gaming section, then it gets put away in community after a couple weeks.

Serrato

Well I tought threads stopped at 250 pages but it seems it's 400, so we have a long way to go still. We should keep this one and close it when Horizons is released for real.

Though a Thread for the Beta should be cool!

kvk1

New Braben video:

https://youtu.be/coxLcs6UtyA

Last 'Peek' before beta - planetary surface details

Some people have asked about the level of surface detail in some of my ‘peeks’. This video has been captured from the beta we are releasing shortly, and shows the level of surface detail we have already on some worlds. Not all planets/moons are like this in beta yet, but the extra detail will come by release.

JambiBum

Well typically you just make a new OT for an expansion release so it gets eyes in the actual main gaming section, then it gets put away in community after a couple weeks.
I know, but with all the talk of whether or not there should be a new OT before this one reaches the limit it seemed like people wanted a new one now instead of once it releases. It would probably be better off to just wait until then that way whomever makes it has more time to put it together.

DrBo42

I know, but with all the talk of whether or not there should be a new OT before this one reaches the limit it seemed like people wanted a new one now instead of once it releases. It would probably be better off to just wait until then that way whomever makes it has more time to put it together.

Yeah, should definitely wait and do a proper OT that will last us the season.

Lonestar

So Horizon's is about to go into Beta? Is it a paid access-only beta, or can anyone try this stuff out while it's in beta?

DrBo42

So Horizon's is about to go into Beta? Is it a paid access-only beta, or can anyone try this stuff out while it's in beta?

Depends on what package you own. You'd have to own Horizons pre-order or a premium beta version of the original game from after the kickstarter etc. It's a bit ridiculous to gate off the people playing your game if you want real stress numbers etc but that's their call.

owlbeak

Only concern is that the Scarab looks like it weighs nothing and is going to feel too flighty. Seems like the thing is just bouncing all over the place in all of his videos, like every tiny bump sends him skyward or flipping over. I know the moons don't always have a lot of gravity, but hopefully it doesn't always control that way.

Depends on what package you own. You'd have to own Horizons pre-order or a premium beta version of the original game from after the kickstarter etc. It's a bit ridiculous to gate off the people playing your game if you want real stress numbers etc but that's their call.
Is that confirmed that if you preorder Horizons through the store you get beta access?

Lonestar

ok, so yeah, as a recent steam buyer, I'm cut off till I pay for Horizon's. I know someone mentioned a discount for current players.

About the surface/rover stuff: Wonder if they went into detail on the planet's gravity. They already have various gravity marks for planets, that I assume it'd be a simple adjustment to match the planet surface's gravity, to the gravity of the planet from space.

DrBo42

Only concern is that the Scarab looks like it weighs nothing and is going to feel too flighty. Seems like the thing is just bouncing all over the place in all of his videos, like every tiny bump sends him skyward or flipping over. I know the moons don't always have a lot of gravity, but hopefully it doesn't always control that way.

Is that confirmed that if you preorder Horizons through the store you get beta access?

BI0Wzno.jpg

ok, so yeah, as a recent steam buyer, I'm cut off till I pay for Horizon's. I know someone mentioned a discount for current players.

I think you have to buy it through FD's store, not Steam to get that discount.

Mengy

Well he had the thrusters off in that video, with them on the rockets do a lot to keep the wheels on the ground, even in light gravity situations. There will still be some degree of jumping though if you go flying over moguls and shit. :D

owlbeak

Well he had the thrusters off in that video, with them on the rockets do a lot to keep the wheels on the ground, even in light gravity situations. There will still be some degree of jumping though if you go flying over moguls and shit. :D
That's what I was figuring - that with FA On, there are vertical thrusters to keep you on the ground.

I'm excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom