• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JambiBum

Tried to join up with a friend... good god is it buggy and unreliable !
We are friends in-game, in the same group and we still couldn't see each other.
Took like 40minutes of jumping around, going to open, back to private, back to solo, to open to finally meet up.
Why is it so hard?!

All you should have to do is join a wing, and then turn on beacons (in the function panel) and nav lock, and then both of you jump to the same system. It should put you in the same instance. Sometimes it won't but it's rare that happens if you have beacons and nav lock on.

This game is amazing. Playing on an ultrawide screen makes it even better.

I do hope there's more to do than trading and mining stuff, though. Such a huge game needs a lot of content to keep it interesting.

alright. Need to hit $1,500,000,000.00 CR before the night ends.

Gotta have goals, people.

*biblethump*

This game is amazing. Playing on an ultrawide screen makes it even better.

I do hope there's more to do than trading and mining stuff, though. Such a huge game needs a lot of content to keep it interesting.

It's a big 'ol sandbox. You can pirate and sweet talk other CMDRs into giving you their hard-earned cargo. You can bounty hunt and interdict wanted npcs and cmdrs (or hunt at RES sites and nav beacons), blowing them out of the stars. You can be a standard combat pilot "gun for hire"going from Conflict Zone to Conflict Zone impacting the influence of a given faction in a given system. Or you can leave everyone behind and go exploring for a month or 6.

Hell even within trading you can be a rare goods trader, developing rare routes and maximizing your money. Or you can be a smuggler and entertain yourself with the pressure of sneaking illegal goods inside star ports before you get scanned.

Mining...eh. What you see is what you get right now. Hopefully that will become more in-depth at some point in 2016.

Edit: Newbies, add me in ED. I'll be doing a $5,000,000 CR gold/palladium give-away (maybe more depending on how many people show up) to help some of you get a little better start. Paying it forward as CMDRs were generous when I started as well. I'll post here to let you all where when and where. And it'll be a good opportunity for you all to learn how to use your cargo scoop. :3

CMDR Heavenly Hammer

JambiBum

Honestly the only change I really need to go back to mining is changing the prospector limpets from only attaching themselves to the asteroid you shoot them towards to scanning an area and having it attach itself to the asteroid with the highest value mineral inside of it. Make the different classes of controllers have wider areas to scan. Right now you have to manually shoot them at each asteroid you want to check and that just takes too much time. Mining itself is fine, but finding asteroids worthy of mining isn't. I find mining to be pretty relaxing and a nice alternative to the other activities, but prospecting is just too tedious for me to do

TheMan

ok, i just spent 1.5 hours trying to find someone i was hired to kill. I'd usually find him in supercruise mode, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to take him down as he usually warps away to another part of the system. I noticed that another ship attempted to contact me to give me info, but I couldn't figure out how to trigger the rest of the conversation.

any tips?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Honestly the only change I really need to go back to mining is changing the prospector limpets from only attaching themselves to the asteroid you shoot them towards to scanning an area and having it attach itself to the asteroid with the highest value mineral inside of it. Make the different classes of controllers have wider areas to scan. Right now you have to manually shoot them at each asteroid you want to check and that just takes too much time. Mining itself is fine, but finding asteroids worthy of mining isn't. I find mining to be pretty relaxing and a nice alternative to the other activities, but prospecting is just too tedious for me to do

I actually really like prospecting now with the drones. It's turned mining into a giant easter egg exploration hunting kind of game. I find mining in general to be pretty great now honestly.

Hylian7

ok, i just spent 1.5 hours trying to find someone i was hired to kill. I'd usually find him in supercruise mode, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to take him down as he usually warps away to another part of the system. I noticed that another ship attempted to contact me to give me info, but I couldn't figure out how to trigger the rest of the conversation.

any tips?

The other ship probably tried to give you a counter offer for less that involved killing someone else, or not killing the guy. Just ignore those offers as they are pretty much never worth it.

To find the guy, if you find him in supercruise, you need an FSD Interdictor on your ship to pull him out of supercruise and fight him. If you don't have one, you can just follow him until he drops from supercruise, it will leave a Low Energy FSD Wake when he drops, and automatically have you locked on to it. Reduce your speed and drop at it just like you would a station or anywhere else. You'll get the "Safe to Disengage" queue when you are in range and going slow enough.

If for some reason he jumps to another system, he'll leave a High Energy FSD Wake, and you need a Wake Scanner to figure out where he went.

Also if you were already out of supercruise and fighting him, and he got away, you can tell if he just went back into supercruise or jumped to another system by whether the FSD Wake is High Energy or Low Energy.

Low Energy - Entered/Exited supercruise
High Energy - Jumped to another sytem.

One of the big reasons I like Elite so much is because when you find another player it actually feels special. The galaxy is a huge place and when you run across another player in some place you don't expect anyone else to be it can turn out to be a wonderful thing. It allows me to do things on my own while actually enjoying player interaction, whether they be good or bad.

With the launch of Horizons, they are going to change the new players spawn to start on planets instead of at LHS 3447 so that will probably help with the population spread some. Most new players don't leave the general area of 3447 because they are too afraid of the vastness of space.
wait so all players spawn in LHS 3447? lol

Im wondering what ship i should work toward if exploring is going to be my thing. is there like a guide somewhere or streamers that explore?
Edit: Newbies, add me in ED. I'll be doing a $5,000,000 CR gold/palladium give-away (maybe more depending on how many people show up) to help some of you get a little better start. Paying it forward as CMDRs were generous when I started as well. I'll post here to let you all where when and where. And it'll be a good opportunity for you all to learn how to use your cargo scoop. :3

CMDR Heavenly Hammer
i'm in!

Kard8p3

CMDR Heavenly Hammer

Yeah I'm in! I have you on steam but I'll add you in game.

JambiBum

wait so all players spawn in LHS 3447? lol

Im wondering what ship i should work toward if exploring is going to be my thing. is there like a guide somewhere or streamers that explore?

i'm in!

Most people go with a hauler when they want to explore starting out. Hauler>type 6>asp explorer/diamondback>whatever you want basically. If you're going to explore get an advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner asap. The detailed scanner is for scanning unexplored stuff after you use the discovery scanner. You just target it and get within range and it will automatically scan it.

What's with the 6.4/75% user ratings on Metacritic and Steam? Did people expect more action? I could see how those trailers might be misleading, like how the Hitman trailers tend to focus on shooting and action

As a someone who never played a space sim before, or sims in general outside of management games like Prison Architect, the "Euro Truck in Space" pacing is what I like the most. It just drops you in this massive world. Do what you want. Figure it out yourself. And while I though the traveling might be frustrating, I actually love it. It makes space feel more realistic, and it's so damn satisfying to come out of FSD and some awesome vista just pops into view: a station, a massive planet, a blinding sun, etc.

I know there isn't a narrative or campaign, but are there any incentives to excel at a job? Like if you become a great mercenary, do you get recognized by the factions? Or if you're a ruthless pirate, will other ships fear/respect/etc. you? Stuff like that?

Hylian7

What's with the 6.4/75% user ratings on Metacritic and Steam? Did people expect more action? I could see how those trailers might be misleading, like how the Hitman trailers tend to focus on shooting and action

As a someone who never played a space sim before, or sims in general outside of management games like Prison Architect, the "Euro Truck in Space" pacing is what I like the most. It just drops you in this massive world. Do what you want. Figure it out yourself. And while I though the traveling might be frustrating, I actually love it. It makes space feel more realistic, and it's so damn satisfying to come out of FSD and some awesome vista just pops into view: a station, a massive planet, a blinding sun, etc.

I know there isn't a narrative or campaign, but are there any incentives to excel at a job? Like if you become a great mercenary, do you get recognized by the factions? Or if you're a ruthless pirate, will other ships fear/respect/etc. you? Stuff like that?

The thing is that to really grasp Elite well, you have to already be into space sims, or sims in general, and be able to really devote time to Elite to understand what it's like. Critics often don't have time for this, or it just isn't necessarily their type of game. I'd say most of the reviews for Elite are fairly irrelevant.

JambiBum

If you read most of the reviews, they're basically just people complaining about not having their hands held and having to figure stuff out on their own. It's actually pretty great.

As far as reasons to excel at jobs, your rank progresses for each job, as you unlock higher ranks you unlock better paying missions and new decals for your ship.

Hylian7

If you read most of the reviews, they're basically just people complaining about not having their hands held and having to figure stuff out on their own. It's actually pretty great.

As far as reasons to excel at jobs, your rank progresses for each job, as you unlock higher ranks you unlock better paying missions and new decals for your ship.

Also, when you hit Elite rank in anything, you get the Founder's World permit, which is for the system that everyone that backed the game on Kickstarter got access to from the beginning. It has every ship and discounts on them.

I feel like I'm hitting a wall with making money. I guess my expectations are skewed because I leeched a few REALLY high bounties by stumbling across the space cops taking people down, but now I'm around 240k CR and it seems like every 25kk job i take is too hard for me :( people ask me to take out targets that I'm not strong enough to fight.

I guess I can get into trading to make a little cash for my cobra but that requires research instead of shooting stuff.

Hylian7

I feel like I'm hitting a wall with making money. I guess my expectations are skewed because I leeched a few REALLY high bounties by stumbling across the space cops taking people down, but now I'm around 240k CR and it seems like every 25kk job i take is too hard for me :( people ask me to take out targets that I'm not strong enough to fight.

I guess I can get into trading to make a little cash for my cobra but that requires research instead of shooting stuff.

Go to Resource Extraction sites. Depending on what ship you are in and what you are capable of taking on, there's big money to be made there.

Burny

Yes and no. As a pirat you'll collect bounties - although there are easy ways to get rid of them. By destroying ships in general, you'll increase your combat rank. NPCs won't run from you because you're deadly and wanted, although security will attack you when you're wanted in their particular system. Depending on what you do - e.g. kill security ships of a faction, you'll lose / or gain standing with the faction.

There are all those interlocking systems in place, but they are still rather shallow in terms of what effect they have. From a certain point onward, you'll probably get most of the game through player interaction. As the game still lacks a player market crafting etc.. that's also relatively limited however. On top of that, you can only indirectly influence the game world and it does only have rather subtle, and sometimes still bugged (if it wasn't fixed by now) effects on the background simulation.

Which is the basis for many of the "high profile" complaints (negative reviews after hundreds of hours of playtime) about the game and where they are largely justified - especially when the talk comes to "end game" content. It's still too shallow. This is however something, that takes quiet a while to get to (more than two or three hours to form this judgement at least) and and gets slowly remedied over time. The game has evolved quiet a bit compared to this time last year. A deathmatch mode, the wings mechanic (the lack of which was embarassing when the game launched :p), community goals, more mission variatey, more ships, subtle improvements and balance changes making mining and bounty hunting useful professions, Powerplay (which is imo not ideal yet either >.<)...

But there's also the crowd that seems to hate this game with a passion - see the metacritic user reviews as well as many of the steam reviews. Some might have tried it, found it didn't cater to their expectations, dismissed it and slapped it with shallow negative review. Some still seem to be mortally offended that the offline mode from the initial kickstarter was cut and will likely never be implemented. And some seem to think that there is only one savior for the space game genre and to them it's apparently not Elite. ;)

In the end you have to determine for yourself whether or not you're "into" Elite. If I had to review it by objective measures while keeping my bias in check, I'd probably not rate it over 7 or 8 out of 10. If I had to rate it by how much I like the game, it would be a clean 10/10. ;)

Which is, why I've stopped following reviews too closely. :p

Staab

All you should have to do is join a wing, and then turn on beacons (in the function panel) and nav lock, and then both of you jump to the same system. It should put you in the same instance. Sometimes it won't but it's rare that happens if you have beacons and nav lock on.
We couldn't even invite each-other into a wing at first (in private), it seemed to work better in open though, maybe we did something wrong but it seemed unnecessarily complicated just to see each-other in the same area. Will investigate, thanks !

CMDR Heavenly Hammer

Oooooh. count me in, thanks a lot :D
(CMDR Skurd Hellsing)

Hylian7

They really need to rework some stuff in Powerplay. Lavigny-Duval is in a CC deficit this week, and you can save the turmoil systems by fortifying (bringing garrison supplies from the headquarters). Some of the systems in turmoil are somewhat far, but only a couple of jumps for my Anaconda, but they don't have any stations, just outposts. No one is going to want to help those at all.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What's with the 6.4/75% user ratings on Metacritic and Steam? Did people expect more action? I could see how those trailers might be misleading, like how the Hitman trailers tend to focus on shooting and action?

Elite is an awesome game and very well made, but since it is a space flight simulator it's not for everyone. And admittedly it is a bit shallow on gameplay features, but FDev has plans to add many things over the next few years that will directly address that. As an open world simulator sandbox, you really have to set your own goals in Elite if you truly want to enjoy the hell out of it, and lots of people simply can't do that. They want a story mode or a campaign like Skyrim or Mass Effect. Elite's not that kind of game, hence some of the negative Nancy's.

My own personal long term goal is to get Elite ranking in all three categories. This will take me several years with the casual way I play the game, but I'm fine with that. I'll dabble in other games along the way and take breaks from Elite now and then, but I'll get that triple Elite ranking one day. By that time we'll be playing an entirely different fully fleshed out galaxy where we are able to land on any planet, alien races will inhabit the galaxy, we'll be able to leave our ships and walk around stations and ship interiors and asteroids and hunt wild game on Earth Like Worlds, and lots of other things we don't even know about yet.

Yeah, I'm in this game for the long, looonngggg term.

Depending on when they launch Horizons today/tonight, hoping to do a livestream of some of the features tonight for those that don't have access.

Elite is an awesome game and very well made, but since it is a space flight simulator it's not for everyone. And admittedly it is a bit shallow on gameplay features, but FDev has plans to add many things over the next few years that will directly address that. As an open world simulator sandbox, you really have to set your own goals in Elite if you truly want to enjoy the hell out of it, and lots of people simply can't do that. They want a story mode or a campaign like Skyrim or Mass Effect. Elite's not that kind of game, hence some of the negative Nancy's.

My own personal long term goal is to get Elite ranking in all three categories. This will take me several years with the casual way I play the game, but I'm fine with that. I'll dabble in other games along the way and take breaks from Elite now and then, but I'll get that triple Elite ranking one day. By that time we'll be playing an entirely different fully fleshed out galaxy where we are able to land on any planet, alien races will inhabit the galaxy, we'll be able to leave our ships and walk around stations and ship interiors and asteroids and hunt wild game on Earth Like Worlds, and lots of other things we don't even know about yet.

They're planning all that? OMG

So basically it's going to be a Star Citizen my computer can actually run. I'm still shocked by how well optimized the game is. Like I'm on a laptop, not the best specs (i5, Intel HD 5500), and was expecting at best to be able to play at low settings. The Hardware Detection set the graphics on High and it runs awesomely.

Serrato

Don't keep your hopes up, the game will ask way more juice with Horizons (and I guess even more when we'll get on living planets).

Although they have a diffrent model than Star Citizen for devellopement(release each new big feature at a time instead of... doing everything at the same time? I don't know I don't really keep up with that game) I think that so far, Elite has a good future ahead of it.

Burny

They're planning all that? OMG

So basically it's going to be a Star Citizen my computer can actually run. I'm still shocked by how well optimized the game is. Like I'm on a laptop, not the best specs (i5, Intel HD 5500), and was expecting at best to be able to play at low settings. The Hardware Detection set the graphics on High and it runs awesomely.

Hardware requirements can generally be expected to increase, but I agree - except for some known and very frustrating issues, the game is fantastically optimized.

The future of Elite Dangerous is worthwhile watching to get an impression of the game's general vision. Some of these features will be years down the road if they're coming at all. Nearly all of them will be content of new seasons - so you'll essentially have to buy addons. Still, there is a lot of potential. ;)

JambiBum

there should be, we are getting to the end of the thread limit regardless, right?

The end is 20k posts, so not really.

I asked a mod about it since we're not close to the end and he said that since the person that started this OT is banned and can't just update this thread with the horizons stuff someone should make a new thread and then he will just close this one once it is made.

Klyka

Banned

The reason I bought the lifetime pass when it was available.
I'll get every Elite Content ever released and can jump back into the game years down the line.

Uthred

What's the "role" of the Python?

If you read most of the reviews, they're basically just people complaining about not having their hands held and having to figure stuff out on their own. It's actually pretty great..

In fairness the game does feel almost purposefully obtuse at times, there's a difference between wanting to have your hand held and having to stop every twenty minutes to google basic information that should be in the game, I mean even the tutorials are YouTube video's. For a commercial release its very rough around the edges.

Like the Cobra, the Python is a multi-role ship. It's doesn't excel at anything really, though prior to a nerf it was probably the most capable combat ship in the game. That being said, for those looking to have one ship and do a lot of different things, the Python serves it's purpose quite well at it's price range.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I came across a battle where a deadly criminal was being destroyed by a few federal agents. I got in on the last 20% or so of health, and was rewarded with something like 160k.

I've got enough cash to probably buy a cobra mk 3 (360k). Should I?

Burny

Absolutely needs to be a new OT when Horizons goes live (I'd argue against beta). It's an expansion.

If the Beta didn't start so soon, I'd argue we should get one ready for the Beta. The earlier, the better. ;-) Unless someone has already prepared something however, that's not in the cards anymore.

It's a good occasion to update the OT. The game has evolved quiet a bit since it was released. I'd summarize much of the OT's information and put the focus on giving a brief impression of what the game is (and isn't), available platforms controls etc.. with links to useful resources. Then I'd put the focus on a couple do-s and don't-s for new players - especially concerning reoccurring questions. E.g.: What the heck do I do for money, how do I avoid overshooting targets in supercruise etc.., how do I find a mission target, how do I avoid getting bounties?

Any title ideas for a new OT?

DrBo42

I came across a battle where a deadly criminal was being destroyed by a few federal agents. I got in on the last 20% or so of health, and was rewarded with something like 160k.

Yes. Cobra is a very capable ship. It's a multi-role.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Cobra is an amazing early ship, you can do just about anything in it competently. It'll last you a long time.

The Cobra is a game changer of a ship. An amazing multi-role ship that can be used for a long time. However, I'd earn a bit more before risking the rebuy cost because no vanilla, non-upgraded ship is worth flying. Personally, I'd wait until you get close to a million to buy a Cobra and then upgrade.

Absolutely needs to be a new OT when Horizons goes live (I'd argue against beta). It's an expansion.

If the Beta didn't start so soon, I'd argue we should get one ready for the Beta. The earlier, the better. ;-) Unless someone has already prepared something however, that's not in the cards anymore.

It's a good occasion to update the OT. The game has evolved quiet a bit since it was released. I'd summarize much of the OT's information and put the focus on giving a brief impression of what the game is (and isn't), available platforms controls etc.. with links to useful resources. Then I'd put the focus on a couple do-s and don't-s for new players - especially concerning reoccurring questions. E.g.: What the heck do I do for money, how do I avoid overshooting targets in supercruise etc.., how do I find a mission target, how do I avoid getting bounties?

Any title ideas for a new OT?

I agree, a new OT would be nice. At the very least, a separate thread just for the launch, to act as a new news thread and get more exposure...but I'm down with a new OT entirely, too. Makes sense, since it's "Year 2."

I had actually been working on OT additions to be made but that fell by the wayside :( I can pick it back up. Any specific info you'd like to see in it? I can make sure it gets compiled.

As for the OT title...definitely needs to be something related to planetary landings/Horizons.

la_briola

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Buggier than ever
83411-I-understood-that-reference-gi-6jlf.gif

Serrato

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Walking the Earth
Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Finding Thargoids secret's cache
Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Weeeeeh Planets!

I'm not really good at those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom