• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Rutger

Banned
Oh I forgot, I ran into this video the other day:

EOIV Speedrun (3:53:31)

It took me like 40-50 hour to get the main story finished...
This is not a series I expected speedruns for, I might have to check this out...
The only 3 bad things I can think about going EOU -> EOIV

- No Expert Mode
- No run button
- 3d effect is weird

Battles can't be made to go as fast either. Other than those I'd personally say EOIV is better in every way.

omlet

Seems like fortress won't have many issues with TP. That proficiency skill..

That was my reaction too when I first started EOIV. The reality is that it's balanced well to where their proficiency skill helps tremendously for exploration (as in, you don't deal with the "well, crap, my tank is out of TP while the rest of the party is fine" problem as much while exploring) but their endgame skills are TP-expensive so for boss fights you still have to play it smart with their skill use and make sure the fights don't drag on long.

Anteo

This is not a series I expected speedruns for, I might have to check this out...

I'm watching this, he finished the First dungeon at level 9, then abuse Golden Dream Eaters in the second land to level up his party to the right level for the dungeon.

Rutger

Banned
I'm watching this, he finished the First dungeon at level 9, then abuse Golden Dream Eaters in the second land to level up his party to the right level for the dungeon.

I guess having to do something like that isn't surprising, which is fine, I was planing on it being something I have on while doing other things.

Anteo

I guess having to do something like that isn't surprising, which is fine, I was planing on it being something I have on while doing other things.

The most surprising thing is his party composition for the first dungeon, which he changes for the second. He is using those spells I though were cool but not that useful.

Edit: He is so underleveled he needs to bost the accuracy of the party to fight.

Scher

Surprisingly, there's speedruns for most of the games. I've found speedruns for EO2, 3, 4, and Untold. Granted, the Untold speedrun is pretty long, but there's some interesting tricks people make use of for the other games. I think that fastest speedrun of 3 I've come across was 1:27:10 [link], where they make use of instant death from Wildlings. According to the runner:

Almost all bosses are actually 99% resistant to the Instant Death status ailment and the Tigers chance to proc at level 1 is 5%. The math causes it to be a percentage less than 1% which means there would normally be no reason for it to work.

However we're forgetting the Wildlings skill called Wild Mastery which at level 10 increases the chance of an animals skill to proc by 15%. Whats important after this is that Wild Mastery is calculated after the bosses resistance is calculated so each boss after Gatekeeper has a 15% chance to be instantly killed because they are not completely immune to instant death.

However enemies that are immune to instant death such as Gatekeeper are not affected by it at all, which is why we cannot instant kill Gatekeeper.

Untold is probably the longest speedrun I came across, which was over 6 hours, but EO 2, 3, and 4 get some pretty good completion times.

Rizzi

This is a real bad looking room.
aE3csFE.jpg
Also I can't find the staircase to B10. :s

kagamin

This is a real bad looking room.

Also I can't find the staircase to B10. :s

Ah EOU, blue HUD gives it away :p, I still wanna go back and finish the story, its the only game in the series (that I've played) where I haven't made it to at least the fourth stratum, I can't figure out the Ant Queen puzzle.

spiritfox

Those are FOE icons? I use them for the doors with crystals on them.

Well it can be used for anything as long as you're ok with it. But it looks similar to FOEs on the map so it's usually used to represent them. I just use the closed door icon for locked doors.

Rizzi

I am stuck on B10. I have literally no idea where to go. Please tell me the dungeon layouts in IV are less infuriating to navigate.

omlet

You should be able to kill 1 of those scorpion FOEs by now. If you can't, you're not ready for the boss. Use leg bind to prevent its tail attack, IIRC. Once that scorp is dead it will stay dead for a few days in-game so you can hit town to rest up if the battle exhausts your party. From there it's a straight shot to the boss. Don't forget to unlock the shortcut near the stairs up to that floor on your way. If you want a no-spoiler vague direction map I can post one.

Edit: Ah, you made it to the boss. Those healing rollers can be bound, paralyzed, and slept, IIRC. If you can lock them down or kill them quickly you'll have it. If not, you might need an extra level or two to have more TP to handle a longer fight.

omlet

My Troubadour is nearly level 30. Should I retire her and turn her in to a Hexxer or Runemaster?

Either one is a good choice. Do you prefer to kill things with fire (Alchemist) or watch your enemies succumb to your choice(s) of debilitating ailments and kill themselves at your whim (Hexer)?

Hexer is really one of my favorite classes in the whole series but alchemists are undeniable powerhouses. Either one will serve you very well for the main game. Alchemist is more useful on the final postgame boss, but by the time you're there you could easily level a new character from 1-99 in just a couple hours.

omlet

I decided on Hexxer.
Oh god they have so many curses.

Several ways to build a Hexer.

Since you have a DH already, I recommend you don't go full bind build with your Hexer, assuming your DH is using whips. Kind of a waste *at this point of the game*. Right now you will probably benefit more from having ailment options than from having more binding. However it might be prudent to get 1 bind skill so you can attempt to apply more than 1 bind in a single turn.

Revenge is broken amazing in EO2 but not really that great in the Untolds by comparison. However it's the only real damage spell you get in EOU1 so consider it long-term. It can be good in a pinch but you can't really build your party around abusing Revenge in this game like you could in EO2.

Frailty Curse is must-have. Sapping is useful as well. Torpor is also must-have. Evil Eye with at least 1 of either Muting, Conflict, or Suicide Word is also must-have. Conflict is the best general-purpose of the three. This is all for any build, really.

Stoning curse is also very useful as a OHKO spell but it is TP-intensive. Still worth it for the leveling/exploring phase of the game. Also some conditional drops require killing via petrification and it's more reliable than enemy skill grimoire stones.

Rinko's (my hexer) build at endgame was
Curse Mastery 10
Sapping 10
Frailty 10
Leaden 5
Deceit 5
Revenge 10
Blinding 5
Madness 5
Torpor 10
Cranial 10
Abdomen 10
Immobile 10
Evil Eye 10
Conflict Word 10

Grimoire
Spark 10
HP Up 10
TP Up 10
Dilution 10
Stoning Curse 10
Gun Mastery 10 [unless I'm fighting a boss she uses a gun for better basic attacks]
Recharge 10

For now, though, since you only have a third of that amount of SP to spend, I would prioritize maybe something like Frailty, Torpor, and Evil Eye, then spend some points on other things as you see fit.

Be sure to equip LUK boosting items. Bind and ailment success is based on LUK stat.

How do I make a hexxer work well with a sword dark hunter?
You get Blinding Curse, Corrupt Curse, Evil Eye, and Relapse Curse for starters. Basically you want to get ailment options your DH doesn't already have, and then have Relapse to make sure your DH has time to use Soul Liberator on ailing enemies before they recover from the ailments.

omlet

Oh, something else really important to know about Hexer skills, specifically Evil Eye and the Word skills.

Word skills have ultimate (or nearly) priority in turn order and will execute even before Rare (glowing) enemies even when used by a slow character. Your Hexer does not need to be the one to use the Word skill. They are not LUK reliant; they always work.

Put Conflict/etc. Word grimoire on your tank. Once you land Fear on a target your Protector can use Word skills (because they will not need to use any tanky skills because the Word skill will render the enemy harmless to your party for that turn) while your Hexer continues to lay on more debuffs.

Rutger

Banned
I don't know if we'll see existing classes in EOV, but if there are returning classes I'll love for Ninja to come back.

I'd be okay with a EOIV style re-imagining, call it a Shinobi or something, so long as it still has the clone skill and the girl with the mask portrait, I'll be happy.

entremet

I'm really enjoying IV.

Seems like these games have two difficulty spikes. Usually the beginning, although IV's doesn't get as tough until the second boss.

And then post game, of course. But I'm cruising now. Playing on Normal, which is the hardest difficulty in EOIV.

Scher

Beat the final boss for the main part of EO2! Beat it with one person left alive at the end, and didn't expect to actually clear it on that attempt, but apparently that last hit I did was just enough to kill it. Guess now it's time to get started on the post game, although this whole filling the grail with blood thing is kind of annoying.

Top Bottom