• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Rizzi

My hexxer seems to never actually manage to debuff anyone. :<
I turned the difficulty down to standard. Holy fuck this is a lot easier.

omlet

My hexxer seems to never actually manage to debuff anyone. :<
Hexer is one of those classes where you want to get their skills to 5/10 quickly. It makes their skills cost more but makes them more reliable so they don't have to use them every turn (maybe). Also maxing out Curse Mastery will help. Also equip with any LUK boosting items.
I turned the difficulty down to standard. Holy fuck this is a lot easier.
Don't give up, you've come this far!

Rizzi

Hexer is one of those classes where you want to get their skills to 5/10 quickly. It makes their skills cost more but makes them more reliable so they don't have to use them every turn (maybe). Also maxing out Curse Mastery will help. Also equip with any LUK boosting items.

Don't give up, you've come this far!

I wasn't making any progress though..

omlet

Hey, I want to start this series, should I go 4->U1->U2 or U1->U2->4?

I would say Untold 1 first (Classic mode, not story mode) even though it is not the "best" in the series it is a fun game and you can get introduced to the series with the story of the original, which, while not really tightly connected to the others, nonetheless kind of sets the tone for the whole series in an important way. In a lot of ways I'd rate 4 > U2 > U1 but they're all solid games and the Untolds have niceties that 4 doesn't have. If you were only going to play one EO game ever, I'd say make it 4, but if you're pretty sure you'll like the series and will play more than one game I'd say start with Untold 1 then play them in any order you want from there.

Anteo

Bandits Treasure wants me to fight a Golem.
I don't think I'm ready for that fight. :/

I remember that fight, I think I made it around 40-44

Depends on what you want of the games. Only the untold series have the option for actual characters and focus on character interaction and development. For EO4 and the classic mode of the untold games you have to create your own characters and you only get to see the story through interactions with the NPCs / events on the dungeon/towns, etc.

So basically skip EO4 if you cant stand a game with no defined characters.

Edit: So I wasnt happy with my EOU2 party, after toying around with some characters I went and start a new file with a new party, and I somehow saved over my old savegame... I was already on the 4th stratum.. Oh well, more EO for me I guess

Rizzi

I remember that fight, I think I made it around 40-44

Depends on what you want of the games. Only the untold series have the option for actual characters and focus on character interaction and development. For EO4 and the classic mode of the untold games you have to create your own characters and you only get to see the story through interactions with the NPCs / events on the dungeon/towns, etc.

So basically skip EO4 if you cant stand a game with no defined characters.

Edit: So I wasnt happy with my EOU2 party, after toying around with some characters I went and start a new file with a new party, and I somehow saved over my old savegame... I was already on the 4th stratum.. Oh well, more EO for me I guess

D:

Zweizer

Banned

omlet said it all. Play Untold 1 Classic first if you want to experience the proper introduction to the series, or 4 is you'd rather get a smoother difficulty curve and more balanced mechanics.

Ouch.

Rutger

Banned
I would personally recommend starting with 4. The gameplay is far more important than the story in this series, so start with the game with the most refined gameplay. 4 is pretty much the perfect game to start with.

You should have just created more characters in your main file. D:
Well, I'm assuming you're not on story mode with how you worded that, but even then you could just use the class change. D:

tuffy

I felt Untold 2 was a big improvement over Untold 1. It had better class setups to choose from (like fixed Ronin stances, the Princess class from EO III, and the Highlander class from Untold 1) and its Grimoire Stones were changed to be much easier to use.

Never tried Persona Q since I heard some Persona background was needed for it.

Rizzi

I'm 36 hours in to Untold 1 and it's getting kind of lame. Think I might shelve it for a bit and play IV instead, or wait for Untold 2 and play the story of that. The demo gave me the impression that it was a little interesting.

Anteo

About my savefile. I had plenty of characters on my old savefile and I was trying them around. I just wanted a new game with the new party for fun.

I'm 36 hours in to Untold 1 and it's getting kind of lame. Think I might shelve it for a bit and play IV instead, or wait for Untold 2 and play the story of that. The demo gave me the impression that it was a little interesting.

That's because for the original game (and untold classic mode) the game tries to hide its story for a long while until suddenly it says "You thought you were just dugeon crawling for no reason? you thought wrong!"

In IV for example, the story is used in a way to make the player push forward, as it is often left in some sort of cliffhanger at the end of one dungeon or the start of the next. I do not think either Untold game does this

Also, try to finish the 4th stratum before dropping the game. At least at the 3rd stratum the game starts showing that there is something going on behind the scenes.

Rutger

Banned
Untold 2 is a lot better than Untold 1, if you don't care much about the very small connections between the two I'd say go with Untold 2 first.

Persona Q is a pretty cool mix of Persona and EO, thanks to the setting there are some interesting dungeons that would never show up in EO. It probably will appeal to you more if you are into P3 and P4, but it's still a good game.

Rizzi

About my savefile. I had plenty of characters on my old savefile and I was trying them around. I just wanted a new game with the new party for fun.

That's because for the original game (and untold classic mode) the game tries to hide its story for a long while until suddenly it says "You thought you were just dugeon crawling for no reason? you thought wrong!"

In IV for example, the story is used in a way to make the player push forward, as it is often left in some sort of cliffhanger at the end of one dungeon or the start of the next. I do not think either Untold game does this

Also, try to finish the 4th stratum before dropping the game. At least at the 3rd stratum the game starts showing that there is something going on behind the scenes.

Yeah, but the 3rd stratum so far is annoying as fuck.

Scher

Do the later EO games have less annoying 6th stratums? Or, at least, do they stop putting such awful teleport puzzles in them? I've been trawling through the 6th stratum of EO2, and teleport puzzles are the bane of my existence. Granted, EO2's 6th stratum isn't near as awful as the first game's, but when I see rows of teleporters it just makes me upset.

tuffy

All the 6th stratums ramp up the difficulty in terms of puzzles and monsters, but the crazy warp room from the original EO II never turns up again. The later games add challenges that involve a lot less guesswork, basically.

Rutger

Banned
Do the later EO games have less annoying 6th stratums? Or, at least, do they stop putting such awful teleport puzzles in them? I've been trawling through the 6th stratum of EO2, and teleport puzzles are the bane of my existence. Granted, EO2's 6th stratum isn't near as awful as the first game's, but when I see rows of teleporters it just makes me upset.

All 6th stratums hold nothing back, EOIV has something similar, but is far less tedious since
if you step on a bad spot you're just sent back to the start of the room, you can't see where the bad spots are but it doesn't feel as aimless.
If you want to make EOII's 6th stratum a lot less of an issue, grab a low level Survivalist with a maxed Stalker, you'll only have to worry about FOEs at that point.

You won't see something exactly like that teleport maze unless you decide to play SMT: Strange Journey. Unless they brought that back in EO2U's post game, I haven't gone through that yet.

Anteo

EOIV 6th stratum is pretty bad, it has rooms that hide your party icon in the map and turns off auto painting of the places you walk. Also it has a tile that rotates you around a random amout of times and you are forced to walk on top of them. On top of that the rooms are symetrical so whenever you step on one of those tiles doesnt matter where you end up, it looks the same

Rutger

Banned
EOIV 6th stratum is pretty bad, it has rooms that hide your party icon in the map and turns off auto painting of the places you walk. Also it has a tile that rotates you around a random amout of times and you are forced to walk on top of them. On top of that the rooms are symetrical so whenever you step on one of those tiles doesnt matter where you end up, it looks the same

That's EOIII, and
the number of times you spin is not random.

Rutger

Banned
I thought it was a pretty creative gimmick, certainly more interesting than the big room of teleport pads in EOII.

Though the best part of the compassless rooms were the ones with FOEs, you really had to be aware of things to get around them.

Anteo

That's EOIII, and
the number of times you spin is not random.

Yeah, I meant III, and I cant remember since it was a long time ago but I think any tile would have a random amount of spins compared to other tiles. I dont think all of them had the same amount of spins.

Rutger

Banned
Yeah, I meant III, and I cant remember since it was a long time ago but I think any tile would have a random amount of spins compared to other tiles. I dont think all of them had the same amount of spins.

Each tile has a set number of time it would spin and a set direction. It would feel random if you're not double checking them, but it's just a puzzle and you can get through them fast if you leave the right notes.

spiritfox

I find EOIII's spin rooms tough but fair. You just need to pay attention to where you're facing after getting spun.

Eridanus is pure bullshit though. SJ doesn't even have a note system.

Rizzi

Oh I'll just go through this shortcut here.. Oh god that is one big fucking ant.
I'm just.. just gonna back away slowly.

Rizzi

Yeah I'm just gonna move on from EOU1.
Everything I've seen of EOU2 from the story demo, and looking at what is different in the classic mode gives me the impression that it is a far superior game than EOU1.
Am I wrong?

Anteo

Everything I've seen of EOU2 from the story demo, and looking at what is different in the classic mode gives me the impression that it is a far superior game than EOU1.
Am I wrong?

Eh, I dont find it that much diferent. The classes have changed a little bit, Troubadours cant heal because that is on the Soverign class now. Ronin cant heal anymore but their stances are better now.

Personally I had more fun with EOU because of the diferences on the skills. If I took the same party from EOU into EOUII it wouldnt work anymore.
What you dont like about EOU now? If it is the dugeon crawling that is killjing you then you may want to go EOIV instead, for III and IV the reduced the floors and added some overwrold play to break the dugeon crawling a bit, in EOIII is more of a side game but for EOIV it is part of the main game. It makes for a much better pace imo.

Now, as much as I had fun with the series, there is always a low point on the dungeons: for EOU and EOUII is the 3rd stratum for me. For EOIII it was the 4th. For EOIV it was the 3rd. This super low point is when I'm always about to quit, but it really picks off after that point.

It didnt feel that bad in EOUII 3rd stratum but that's because I bought the dlc and used the "increased exp" buff to finish that dungeon much faster. Then I got to the boss.....

omlet

Am I wrong?

Yes.

EOU2 is better in a few ways (grimoire system is improved, a few classes like Ronin get some tweaks for the better) but I wouldn't call it a far superior game. EOU1's classic story (not to be confused "Story Mode" which EOU2 does do better), dungeons overall (from a gameplay perspective, not from an aesthetic perspective)
dat cherry tree bridge tho
, and even sidequests are much more interesting than 2.

If you're not enthused by what you've seen so far in EOU1 you may run into the same problem with any game in this series. There are definitely some refinements between U1 and U2 but if you're not engaged by the gameplay itself in EOU1 then I'm not convinced they'd be enough to hold your attention because the core of these games is really the same in each entry.

spiritfox

I prefer EO2U mainly due to the number of classes and more fun options like War Magus and Sovereign. Also, gamplay-wise EO2U is superior to EOU, with better grimoires, restaurant minigame, dungeon design and the new dungeon being available in Classic. The only thing EOU does better is the story reveal, and that is ruined with Story mode.

Anteo

I prefer EO2U mainly due to the number of classes and more fun options like War Magus and Sovereign. Also, gamplay-wise EO2U is superior to EOU, with better grimoires, restaurant minigame, dungeon design and the new dungeon being available in Classic. The only thing EOU does better is the story reveal, and that is ruined with Story mode.

Sovereign are really cool. My old main party had a Palm Alch that was my "damage dealer" but the Sovereign would out damage her with her Links most of the time. It was funny, but at the same time made me realize my party sucked. Too bad they took away the heals from the Troubador in this game. It makes sense since that role is now on the Sovereign but still.

Edit: I really dont like the restaurant minigame. I feel like I'm not playing anything related to EO when I'm doing that. At least for EOIII the sea was kind of like the dungeons but the restaurant feels too disconected to the main game for me.

Zweizer

Banned
Like omlet said, if you aren't really enjoying the game due to its puzzle-like dungeons, I doubt EOU2 will be much different for you.

If anything, maybe try EO4 first, as its difficulty curve is smoother, and dungeons not as long.

spiritfox

Or play Persona Q, which has a different vibe and cool dungeon designs.

Sovereign are really cool. My old main party had a Palm Alch that was my "damage dealer" but the Sovereign would out damage her with her Links most of the time. It was funny, but at the same time made me realize my party sucked. Too bad they took away the heals from the Troubador in this game. It makes sense since that role is now on the Sovereign but still.

Palm Alch seems more for sustained dungeon crawling than boss killing. Compression Alch totally out-damages it easily, but drains TP fast. Too bad you can't switch builds on the fly.

Anteo

Or play Persona Q, which has a different vibe and cool dungeon designs.

Palm Alch seems more for sustained dungeon crawling than boss killing. Compression Alch totally out-damages it easily, but drains TP fast. Too bad you can't switch builds on the fly.

That is mostly how it worked. I still felt my damage output was too low without Grimores to boost the skills. It relied too much on the second palm and the splash to actually make damage to the point where the Sovereign would be the one that do most of the heavy lifting with no time to set up for buffs. THe alch was also too easy to 1hit ko to the point that the tank didnt had time to use buffs because the alch would die. Basically no one had time to use buffs. Also it didnt help that my backrow was a Sniper and a Gunner.

Top Bottom