• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Sölf

I just unlocked the Hot Spring, erm, "costumes". Sadly, Chloe and Flavio died during the battle and I had no more Nectar. Well, at least the boss only have 25k exp, that's not that much.

Rutger

Banned
No, keep playing EOIII because it's a better game.

After you finish that, then go play EOII and do your avatar justice, since it's one of the few classes that still has a use even with the god hexer running around.

Edit: hm, I guess you could be talking about EO2U, which ruins my joke. Still, playing more than one EO game at a time sounds like a good way to finish neither anytime soon, haha.

Weebos

Banned
I wish we could have used story portraits in Untold Classic. I know you technically can if you play story mode first, but I'm not really interested in grinding through 20+ hours of that for a portrait.

omlet

I wish we could have used story portraits in Untold Classic. I know you technically can if you play story mode first, but I'm not really interested in grinding through 20+ hours of that for a portrait.

Do it to unlock highlander and gunner and the unique katana drop and think of the portraits as a bonus!

Nachos

Do it to unlock highlander and gunner and the unique katana drop and think of the portraits as a bonus!
But the ultimate katana drop is only like 10 attack points stronger than the next-best one and doesn't even raise your strength.

Zweizer

Banned
Beat Arachne, though I wonder how the fight would have gone if I didn't burn the web then attacked her from behind. She was pretty tough.

Enker

I just beat the main EOU story mode at Level 63 or so. It turned into a depressing slog of buffing Arthur every battle, hoping Simon didn’t die in one hit even with Raquna buffs, and getting the timing wrong on which turn the boss would use their attack I could nerf with a Element Wall (and the subsequent resets).

At least Persona Q had Queen Naoto.

I don’t think I can be patient enough to take out the post-game with this party - how quick would it be to get through Classic on NG+ if I judiciously use my Story characters to level them up faster?

Yes, I did have a lot of fun with the game regardless

Also:
- What does a Boost actually do? I only used them to escape FOE battles in an emergency and I’m sure they would have made the game easier.
- How can I make a Bind actually hit more than once every 30 times? I am using Bloody Fortune with 4 skill points but it doesn’t seem to help much.

omlet

I don’t think I can be patient enough to take out the post-game with this party - how quick would it be to get through Classic on NG+ if I judiciously use my Story characters to level them up faster?
Very quick. You can just beeline for the next stairs on every floor so it will just be a matter of walking and auto-battling.

Unless you are talking about starting a new party in classic mode to get more class options to mix with the story party (a good idea), in which case it will take longer, but still not very long. You will have money, great equipment, and map already drawn. And you can switch to your story mode party to sock bosses if you need to. Just casual mode it up to postgame dungeon then switch the difficulty back up for the Real Experience (tm).

- What does a Boost actually do? I only used them to escape FOE battles in an emergency and I’m sure they would have made the game easier.
+5 to the skill you use on that turn (which means it can over over the level 10 cap) for higher damage/healing and better bind/ailment rates. When you're not using a skill (escape, basic attack, etc.) it increases the potency of the action somehow (under the hood, escape and basic attacks are probably treated as "skills" too).

- How can I make a Bind actually hit more than once every 30 times? I am using Bloody Fortune with 4 skill points but it doesn’t seem to help much.
LUK stat affects binds and ailments. However, no one in the story mode party is very good at binding. Hexers and DH with level 10 binds with LUK equipment will have pretty good success.

Edit: Oops
But the ultimate katana drop is only like 10 attack points stronger than the next-best one and doesn't even raise your strength.
But... but it's the ultimate katana!
but it's not worth using if you have the other 2 good ones, the STR one and the ice one lol

Nachos

Also:
Is that thirty tries to get one bind, or thirty failed tries after getting one? Binds and ailments have diminishing returns. Each time you inflict an enemy with an ailment/bind, they'll gain resistance to it for about ten turns, after which the resistance goes away. Ricky's binds aren't amazing in general, since they only become better binders at levels 5 and 10. They're good for random battles, but they'll be a lot less effective against bosses, especially if they're not level 10.

Nachos

Wait, it is really only for 10 turns?
Yeah, but the problem is that resistances build in stages, so if you manage to land two, they'll gain two resistance boosts. Then, once you get to turn 10, the enemy only loses one. That's why Releasal Spell was so useful in IV, since you could reset everything at once.

Anteo

Yeah, but the problem is that resistances build in stages, so if you manage to land two, they'll gain two resistance boosts. Then, once you get to turn 10, the enemy only loses one. That's why Releasal Spell was so useful in IV, since you could reset everything at once.

If I land a status on turn 4, and then another on turn 8, it will lose the first resistance buff at turn 18 instead of 14?

Just got to the 5th Stratum in EO3. This is some music.

I've decided the sea stuff was fun at the start but now urgh. I've also unlocked 3 bosses through it that I cannot beat currently because my party feels weak.

Sölf

Reached 15F on EOU 2. These stupid Red fish thingies don't want to drop me their stuff. :(
But I need that for a quest! D:

Enker

Is that thirty tries to get one bind, or thirty failed tries after getting one?

More the former than the latter, but ailment resistance after you’ve had it once explains a LOT of my annoyance with trying to bind/poison the Spawn of Kupala.

That low success rate is mostly because 9/10 times I only try and bind bosses. The various random bulls get leg binded seemingly each time which is nice to avoid Stomp, and after a arm bind actually hit Golem I was finally able to live long enough to kill it.

When can we expect some renders of EOV classes?

I'm eyeing up the necromancer

Gotta avoid my fraudness

Edit: OH MAN FUCK STRATUM 5. I WANT TO DRAW MAPS. WHY DO THIS. WHY THIS GIMMICK. IT IS EVIL.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to drop and say that I'm super excited about all the Etrian Odyssey V news we're getting.

Sadly, we probably shouldn't expect this game to drop before 2017 and I don't even want to think about poor Europe.

Zweizer

Banned
What's y'all's favorite 6th stratum anyways?

I must say I rather like II's due to the music, but IV's was probably the easiest.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to drop and say that I'm super excited about all the Etrian Odyssey V news we're getting.

Sadly, we probably shouldn't expect this game to drop before 2017 and I don't even want to think about poor Europe.

Welcome! Let us weep together for the inevitable long delay of its localization (which is longerer for us EU folks).

I must say I rather like II's due to the music, but IV's was probably the easiest.

Welcome! Let us weep together for the inevitable long delay of its localization (which is longerer for us EU folks).
So cruel.

spiritfox

55679848_p2.png
55679848_p4.png
55679848_p3.png
55679848_p5.png
55679848_p6.png

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=55679848

Rutger

Banned

Mechanics, atmosphere, and music, all of it goes to EOIII's 6th stratum for me.

I found II's to be the easiest, because I had a Survivalist with maxed Stalker and never ran into a random battle, and all FOE's and the final boss instantly died at the sight of my Hexers.

Top Bottom