• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Nachos

If I land a status on turn 4, and then another on turn 8, it will lose the first resistance buff at turn 18 instead of 14?
Pretty sure, yeah. I'll have to snoop around Something Awful to find the exact explanation, though.

What's y'all's favorite 6th stratum anyways?

Welcome! Let us weep together for the inevitable long delay of its localization (which is longerer for us EU folks).
Untold 1's for the overall package (I think it's better at being unsettling than IV's), III's for its music. Dishonorable mention to Q's for not existing.
Watch "The End of the Long Myth" refer to the myth that Atlus ever cared a second about Europe.

No Shishou no avatar.
Here, a rare Teach. So rare it had to be upscaled with Waifu2x.
HeApKRC.jpg

What's y'all's favorite 6th stratum anyways?

I must say I rather like II's due to the music, but IV's was probably the easiest.

Welcome! Let us weep together for the inevitable long delay of its localization (which is longerer for us EU folks).

Thank You!

If we wanted to be realistic, Atlus USA will probably take at least half a year to localize the game, so we're looking at a Q1/Q2 release date for EOV. I haven't been a fan of the Untold games or Mystery Dungeon so it's been a long time since I've been so excited about playing a game in the series, I can't wait!

I hope Europe doesn't get screwed over this time around, at least it shouldn't be as bad as SMTIV.

For my favorite 6th Stratum, I'll go with EOIV, it's easy, but the atmosphere is unmatched to this day.

Zweizer

Banned

Such pleasant memories.

Thank You!

If we wanted to be realistic, Atlus USA will probably take at least half a year to localize the game, so we're looking at a Q1/Q2 release date for EOV. I haven't been a fan of the Untold games or Mystery Dungeon so it's been a long time since I've been so excited about playing a game in the series, I can't wait!

To be honest I'd say the wait for V will be fine, compared to the somewhat ridiculous saturation that occured with Persona Q, EMD and Untold 2 last year.

Now, Europe on the other hand...

This would also make for a good avatar, if anyone wants to take it.

W3BHNSR.png

ZP0chIX.png

Mau-chan already called it.

Ohnonono

Should I grab 2U or 4? I have played EMD, and parts of EO3 (never finished it.) 2U is WAY easier to find, but if there is any huge issue with it then lemme know please :D

Should I grab 2U or 4? I have played EMD, and parts of EO3 (never finished it.) 2U is WAY easier to find, but if there is any huge issue with it then lemme know please :D

4 and U2(Classic) are both great, but what you should do is go back and finish 3!

Also, IV usually gets super cheap on the eshop during one of the many Atlus sales, so you can wait for the next sale.

jonjonaug

Both are good. I really liked the story mode in EOU2 and that game has some upgrades over EO4 when it comes to dungeon navigation, so I'd recommend that one.

tuffy

My own attempt to get a copy of the LE wasn't a success either, and I tried to put in an order for one soon after it went up. I'll try to snag a loose copy of the CD single from auction sites later since they usually get pretty cheap. And with any luck a more comprehensive artbook will turn up down the line.

I mean I'll just recommend 4 because it is just an all good round video game. Best 3DS game.

tuffy

One advantage of IV is that a chunk of party building isn't at the mercy of Grimoire Stone randomness. It's not hard to find EO2U QR codes to trade in less useful stones for those with skills you need, but it's nice not having to jump through that extra hoop.

But EO2U's mapping and interface improvements are hard to give up.

Ohnonono

Picked up 2U because I could not find a copy of 4 that was easy to get to. I never upgraded my 3ds memory card so I can't rely on having the space for DL games. Also it looked like 2 had more of the classes I remember from EMD. Now to decide on Story or Classic. Leaning toward classic because I like making my party but I have never had the option of having a story before. CHOICES.

omlet

Story mode in EOU2 is better than in EOU1, mostly because there is no big twist in the classic mode story for story mode to ruin. Can't go wrong with either, in EOU2, IMO.

Rutger

Banned
So you never got ambushed by Muckdiles? Bah.

Why fight anything that doesn't need to be fought?
The Hexer is so broken that we don't even need them at level 70 to trivialize the post-game final boss, haha.

I guess I've made things harder for myself if I ever want to complete it 100%, but with the existence of the really good remake as well as how slow the original plays I really doubt I'll be going back to it anytime soon.

Ohnonono

Started my Classic mode game, Protector, Highlander, Princess, Gunner, Hexer. LETS GO! I liked that it had lots more portraits for some of the characters. My team looks dope.

I also just realized that I have never played one of these on the 3DS and I am loving the animated monsters. Game feels very alive.

tuffy

That's the exact team I'm using, except with a Hexer in place of a Dark Hunter. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

And animated 3D monsters were one of those things players weren't quite sure about when they first showed up, but I think they've been largely accepted as a positive change. Though sometimes I get nostalgic for the orange fuzz ball FOEs from the olden days.

Ohnonono

That's the exact team I'm using, except with a Hexer in place of a Dark Hunter. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

And animated 3D monsters were one of those things players weren't quite sure about when they first showed up, but I think they've been largely accepted as a positive change. Though sometimes I get nostalgic for the orange fuzz ball FOEs from the olden days.

Oh man I think the 3D monsters look rad. The only thing I really want them to change now is maybe little pop ins sometimes so you get to see your characters a bit more. The sort of thing you can turn off and it could just be 2D stuff, but a little something would be cool.

Anteo

The most interesting change for me going from III to IV was the monsters having a back line just like your party.

kagamin

Multi line monster encounters made me more fearful of the deadly poison butterflies, damn those things when you get ambushed.

I didn't like the idea of 3D monsters at first because the artwork was beautiful in the DS trilogy, but I've been pleased by how alive the monsters feel, multi-row enemies being an awesome addition. Also visitible FOEs are great which also made puzzles with FOEs a reality.

kagamin

I didn't like the idea of 3D monsters at first because the artwork was beautiful in the DS trilogy, but I've been pleased by how alive the monsters feel, multi-row enemies being an awesome addition. Also visitible FOEs are great which also made puzzles with FOEs a reality.

B-but, muh orange balls!

B-but, muh orange balls!

Orange balls are a great example of how the limitation of hardware can make a game better, when you saw a new one and had no idea what FOE it was... now that was scary and I love being scared in EO games.

I wish there was a toggle to change the 3D FOEs for the Orange Balls, because it would be amusing.

Orange balls are a great example of how the limitation of hardware can make a game better, when you saw a new one and had no idea what FOE it was... now that was scary and I love being scared in EO games.

I wish there was a toggle to change the 3D FOEs for the Orange Balls, because it would be amusing.

Going from 3D to 2D I can see the appeal. But in EO3 the FOEs tend to basically be the same on the floor so it'd only be a surprise on the initial reveal. Would be interesting if a dungeon had a random FOE gimmick.
don't hate me, only playing 3 and 4 ;-;untold to strat 2...

Wait, no it should be like a huge giant monstrous enemy that looks super evil, and it's second phase should be an Orange Ball!

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM.

If EOV really ends up being the last mainline game, it would be an amazing sendoff.
But no, it will end up being a crazy monstrosity like usual, the best final post-game boss is still the one from EO3 *wink*.

Scher

I just want the superboss in 5 to be a squirrel and all you can do is watch helplessly as it steals all your warp wires.

Ohnonono

Here's the actual final boss of the series.

I want a view like this so I can see all my party d00ds in a battle. Its such fun art, let me see it!

Also I just realized how small EO4 is on the Eshop. Not bad even with my small memory card. I could most likely fit it on there. That may be a good way to get that cheap if it goes on sale!

I want a view like this so I can see all my party d00ds in a battle. Its such fun art, let me see it!

Also I just realized how small EO4 is on the Eshop. Not bad even with my small memory card. I could most likely fit it on there. That may be a good way to get that cheap if it goes on sale!

The bottom screen is ALWAYS the map, so they can't do that!

It's a SMT joke in case that wasn't obvious.

Also, Atlus loves to have sales so you probably won't have to wait that much.

jonjonaug

Playing EO4 after EOU2 is kinda rough. Everything is way slower and there's nagging technical issues like not being able to draw the map during battle transitions.

Top Bottom