• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Anteo

Finally beat the game last night, and this has got to be my favorite entry in the series. There are a lot of little, incremental improvements and a few awesome things (like animated enemies) that just put it over the top. Also, I really love the soundtrack. The old synth stuff was great, but so is the new sound. I like that they went with live recorded music that's not the generic orchestral/choral stuff that you hear everywhere. That decision was probably predicated by their budget, but it really suits Yuzo Koshiro's style and keeps the sound relatively distinctive.

Speaking of the music, I liked the recurring theme that played in the intro and then later . Normally I'm not a big fan of recurring themes, but this one is pretty subtle and interesting. Every time I boot the game I have to listen to that music for a minute before loading my game. Helps lower my blood pressure after my guild meets with a terrible fate, so that's a plus.

Speaking of frustration, is there a trick to dealing with
Sky Emperors
in the postgame? Their instant death move tends to kill all five of my party members in the same turn, even the ones who are wearing death-resistant armor. Guess I just need to kill them faster.

Wow is that theme, I was thinking "in what part of the game I've listen to that?" is so sublte. Now I like it more.

And about the bosses, this is something that applies to the trio: get some anti element charms and get the special food that is near them, that food will help a lot as it has resistance to the thing they tend to throw. Also when they do the skill that reduce your resistance, clean that thing asap otherwise he is going to wipe you next turn.

balddemon

Banned
Finally unlocked subclassing. The explorers guild guy said something about skills only working up to half max level... But I maxed a couple skills. What?

Anteo

Finally unlocked subclassing. The explorers guild guy said something about skills only working up to half max level... But I maxed a couple skills. What?

You didn't =P If you have a the same class as main and sub (in diferent chars of course) compare the max levels of both. The max is cut in half for sub classes.

KarmaCow

It means the max level of the skill is halved. So if you subclass a Dancer, their Attack Tango only has 5 levels instead of the 10 it normally has when it is not a subclass.

A couple of questions on subclassing.

Can you ever change them? If so, how? Just by using the rest function?

Also, do you get additional points while leveling after you unclock subs?

KarmaCow

A couple of questions on subclassing.

Can you ever change them? If so, how? Just by using the rest function?

Also, do you get additional points while leveling after you unclock subs?

You can only change them by resting and no, you don't get additional points beyond the initial 5 from using a subclass.

God dammit. Moth garden. Am I just supposed to use an item to avoid encounters entirely in this place? Am I just underleveled?
I can't take on more than one moth at once.

Anteo

God dammit. Moth garden. Am I just supposed to use an item to avoid encounters entirely in this place? Am I just underleveled?
I can't take on more than one moth at once.

Abuse the danger orb, try to start a fight near the entrance of the room and then when you are clear run for the door. And try to finish your fights asap.

Edit: Forgot to add that you do not need to fight any of the FOEs to get to the end of the map.

ohlawd

I had to turn the 3DS off for about an hour. I was so enraged I almost tossed it. Battle was going great and then at 35% he started doing that shit and I couldn't hit with ANYTHING.

Just thinking about it now makes me furious. And I bet the shit they drop will make some awesome armor my Fortress can actually use right now.

lol tell me about it. I dropped Snipers by that point and I brought one back solely so I can use her hit rate buff for the entire party.

tuffy

Finally beat the main story boss at level 61-62. Funnily enough, the fight just before didn't turn out nearly so well.
I'd been trading hits back and forth with the Prince, stalling while a 3 turn attack-down debuff wore off. Finally, with the debuff due to expire in the next round, I had my Imperial/Bushi and Bushi/Nightseeker charge for big hits, but my Fortress had to bring down Guard All for a turn to recharge. But before I could get my shots off, the Prince unloaded with a party-wide attack for ~600 points of damage that knocked out everybody - or so it seemed. Both of my damage-dealers had points in the Endure skill. So they hopped back up immediately, launched their charged counterattacks on the back half of the round and the Prince went down.

The main fight itself wasn't so eventful. I went through a few TP items, but my party worked together like a well-oiled machine and everyone was still standing by the end of it. The fight even went on long enough that I got to fire up Ignition, which made my Imperial about as devastating as I expected over the course of three turns.

Now I'm off to the post-game where I'll have to readjust my party for less exploration and more boss-hunting.

Ala Alba

I finally finished land 3... at level 50. :|

I think I may be a tad overleveled, but it certainly isn't intentional. Anyway, I guess it was kinda satisfying stomping all over the boss, but I can't help wondering if I would have had more satisfaction if I actually had to work for it.

I finally finished land 3... at level 50. :|

I think I may be a tad overleveled, but it certainly isn't intentional. Anyway, I guess it was kinda satisfying stomping all over the boss, but I can't help wondering if I would have had more satisfaction if I actually had to work for it.

Ehehe. Yeah, you might be a touch too strong. I'm currently working on getting to the third floor, and I'm 39, and I think I'M probably a bit overleveled. I haven't been grinding, but I do every quest I can. Hmm.

I'm pretty sick of this dungeon though.

Ehehe. Yeah, you might be a touch too strong. I'm currently working on getting to the third floor, and I'm 39, and I think I'M probably a bit overleveled. I haven't been grinding, but I do every quest I can. Hmm.

Are the rest of the mazes any more annoying than this one?

Manbig

Are the rest of the mazes any more annoying than this one?

The enemies in the fifth maze get pretty obnoxious. Also, about the fifth maze:

you go through one floor maze 1 through 4 at the beginning of it. This includes having to do a bit of fire scale breaking here too.

spiritfox

Fortunately, no.

Golden Lair is the lowest of the low.

Huh. I didn't find Golden Lair that annoying. The sentry robots in the Echoing Library were more annoying to me. And it had a cool gimmick with 2 entrances. That wouldn't have been possible with the previous games.

sound advice if 80 hours didn't pass and I'm like 95% done with everything :p

I appologize, but it does prove useful to others!

Also, no medic is terrifyingly offensively powerful, but status effects suuuuuuuuuuuck without dumping points into the A's status/bind avoidance. Like playing with fire, and it'll pay off later for tier 3 A skills, oh yes.

ohlawd

Huh. I didn't find Golden Lair that annoying. The sentry robots in the Echoing Library were more annoying to me. And it had a cool gimmick with 2 entrances. That wouldn't have been possible with the previous games.

I liked alternating between the frozen and melted stages of the Maze.
But fire scales.... I dun like them.

KarmaCow

Finally unlocked the last class and I'm considering reworking my entire team now. I haven't done any modifications since getting an Arcanist.

Currently I have

Fortress/Dancer

Are Fortresses needed for any late/post game stuff? I've been using a Fortress/Dancer and up to this point he's been mostly used for Guard Tango + Elemental Guard in boss battles. In normal battles, Taunt has been somewhat useful for mitigating damage but hardly essential. Party Shield seems like it could be awesome though.

Nightseeker/Landsknecht

The Nighseeker has been my main damage dealer thanks to the Arcanist and the damage boost against enemies with ailments. Landsknecht is mostly just for the stat boost. I have been trying out Links but I barely have points in it.

Dancer/Medic

Dancer is typical. Regen and Attack Boost along with multihit + stun on normal attack. Medic is purely for 1 point in Revive and Refresh, both which could easily be solved with items.

Arcanist/Runemaster

Arcanist again is typical, with poison and sleep easily taking out normal enemies. I do have some points in binds but I might rely on my Sniper for that. I was planning on using the Runemaster for elemental attacks, but I haven't started investing in that. The problem is without Runemaster skills, he's been pretty useless in boss battles.

Sniper/Landsknecht

Sniper is pretty much only for binds and Landsknecht is just for the attack boost skills. I recently forged a weapon with +Hit but lately binds are not really reliable. The damage is decent but just that, decent.

The main weakness with my party is that I have no good reliable damage. I have no real good elemental attacks which hurt in the last boss battle. I can't rely on status ailments to boost damage in boss battle either which leaves my Nightseeker with mediocre damage and my Arcanist with nothing to do.

Not quite sure what to do. I'm thinking of replacing the Fortress with an Imperial, the Nightseeker with a Landsknecht, and flipping the Arcanist/Runemaster and subbing something else on my Sniper. Not quite sure how good Bushis are since it seems like their damage comes from hurting themselves. TP regen is nice though.

spiritfox

Finally unlocked the last class and I'm considering reworking my entire team now. I haven't done any modifications since getting an Arcanist.

Currently I have

Fortress/Dancer

Are Fortresses needed for any late/post game stuff? I've been using a Fortress/Dancer and up to this point he's been mostly used for Guard Tango + Elemental Guard in boss battles. In normal battles, Taunt has been somewhat useful for mitigating damage but hardly essential. Party Shield seems like it could be awesome though.

Nightseeker/Landsknecht

The Nighseeker has been my main damage dealer thanks to the Arcanist and the damage boost against enemies with ailments. Landsknecht is mostly just for the stat boost. I have been trying out Links but I barely have points in it.

Dancer/Medic

Dancer is typical. Regen and Attack Boost along with multihit + stun on normal attack. Medic is purely for 1 point in Revive and Refresh, both which could easily be solved with items.

Arcanist/Runemaster

Arcanist again is typical, with poison and sleep easily taking out normal enemies. I do have some points in binds but I might rely on my Sniper for that. I was planning on using the Runemaster for elemental attacks, but I haven't started investing in that. The problem is without Runemaster skills, he's been pretty useless in boss battles.

Sniper/Landsknecht

Sniper is pretty much only for binds and Landsknecht is just for the attack boost skills. I recently forged a weapon with +Hit but lately binds are not really reliable. The damage is decent but just that, decent.

The main weakness with my party is that I have no good reliable damage. I have no real good elemental attacks which hurt in the last boss battle. I can't rely on status ailments to boost damage in boss battle either which leaves my Nightseeker with mediocre damage and my Arcanist with nothing to do.

Not quite sure what to do. I'm thinking of replacing the Fortress with an Imperial, the Nightseeker with a Landsknecht, and flipping the Arcanist/Runemaster and subbing something else on my Sniper. Not quite sure how good Bushis are since it seems like their damage comes from hurting themselves. TP regen is nice though.

You can set up a link party with a Linkshark and and swapping your A/R for R/A. Otherwise, you can also let your A sub Medic, letting your Dancer be more focused on dances and Misting people to oblivion. Imperials are cool, but they would really benefit from a main R support, as she has no time to set up and refresh the element runes with her combos. Sub R for element I, or B for non-element.

Fortress's shield skills are better in the late game, with AOE skills reducing the viability of Taunt and your F getting access to HP boost and Rampart. Dancer sub pretty much makes her the best tank in the game.

Bushi are really good with sustained attacking. They also have access to elemental attacks if needed. They can also pretty much sustain themselves with maxed HP and TP recover per hit. Either sub L or N, L for Vanguard/Initiative and Swordbreaker, N for 2 attacks and Follow Trace, which is hilarious with Charge (Charge affects both attacks).

Proven

I played the demo today. It was good. Very good. I played through the whole thing in one sitting.

I knew I'd like the series, but this is the first one I've actually gotten around to giving a shot. And now I'm buying it next week during the Target b2g1 sale. I will be happy. I might even post in this thread more than once. So far it's been fun discovering things on my own.

Edit: Removed the questions. I forgot that there actually was an FAQ to this thread.

And the labyrinths don't have as much of an oppressive feel to them. It feels more like an adventure rather than constant danger.

Either way, this thread has gained another lurker. Why did I wait so long to start buying into the series?

Althane

Beat the second boss, now exploring the third land. For as easily as I thrashed the boss (party is seriously over leveled for it. 35-37. Don't ask) the chumps in the bat cave gave me trouble.

New weapons for beating the FOEs in the second land helped. I think I need to work on my elemental resistances for the upcoming maze. Just a hunch.

ohlawd

1. Are the seven classes in the demo the same you start with in the actual game? Or are there a few locked out?

2. How many classes are there in total? If there are secret classes or something, please include them in the count without letting me know.

3. There's no option for characters to change classes, right? I think I prefer this system over Class of Heroes. In CoH, much of your character building is up front; you have a set level up path, so you pick class and race just to fiddle with certain synergies and then it's just play until you can switch classes and then you sit down for another hour redesigning your party. In EO, all the character building happens as you play, and in short bursts, so I get more play.

And the labyrinths don't have as much of an oppressive feel to them. It feels more like an adventure rather than constant danger.

1. Yes.
2. 10 total.
3. Kinda. You can do what's called "Retiring". A character has to be at least level 30. Basically, you retire a character to get a new one at half the original's level (cap is lvl 30 so your original character at lvl 61-99 will give out a lvl 30 character regardless) with better stats/more skill points and you can choose what their new class can be. But you're able to change your subclass whenever as long as you "rest" your character at the expense of 2 skill points/2 levels.

Your last point: You'll see.

Manbig

So I'm feeling really stupid right now. I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but holding A doesn't only queue up attacks for battle, but also skips the loot screen after battle. I don't think it did any of this in the earlier games. So if you have a weight to hold down the A button, you can truly AFK grind in this game. This even skips discarding extra items!

Boogiepop

So, I couldn't resist the temptation and ended up jumping right back in. Found the 2nd floor in the 6th maze, and
I can now fight all the Dragons. I've tried fighting the fire one twice and did decent, but it looks like I may need to go grab some accessories after all, at least for my back row. Also need to decide if I should be trying to poison him or nerve him, just because he hits too damn hard.
Oh, and are any of them particularly easier than the others? I pretty much just feel I need to take 1 out now since I'm creeping up close to lv 70...

Edit: Also, how do you do the quest
that comes after marking off the four marks in the 4th land?

ohlawd

So, I couldn't resist the temptation and ended up jumping right back in. Found the 2nd floor in the 6th maze, and
I can now fight all the Dragons. I've tried fighting the fire one twice and did decent, but it looks like I may need to go grab some accessories after all, at least for my back row. Also need to decide if I should be trying to poison him or nerve him, just because he hits too damn hard.
Oh, and are any of them particularly easier than the others? I pretty much just feel I need to take 1 out now since I'm creeping up close to lv 70...

Fire > Ice > Lightning, from easiest to hardest in my experience.

for every dragon, there's a nearby food that can resist their respective elemental breath and status effects. A single point from a Runemaster's Rune spells helps out too, the more points the better.

Proven

1. Yes.
2. 10 total.
3. Kinda. You can do what's called "Retiring". A character has to be at least level 30. Basically, you retire a character to get a new one at half the original's level (cap is lvl 30 so your original character at lvl 61-99 will give out a lvl 30 character regardless) with better stats/more skill points and you can choose what their new class can be. But you're able to change your subclass whenever as long as you "rest" your character at the expense of 2 skill points/2 levels.

Your last point: You'll see.

Thanks for answering the questions anyway, and now I'm happy there isn't perma-death.

Boogiepop

Fire > Ice > Lightning, from easiest to hardest in my experience.

for every dragon, there's a nearby food that can resist their respective elemental breath and status effects. A single point from a Runemaster's Rune spells helps out too, the more points the better.

Thanks! Cooking some food and grabbing charms for my back line did the trick. That actually seemed a lot easier than in previous games.

Oh, and I decided to take out the "Legendary Force" quest, and it was... interesting. I ran into the strongest of those bird FOEs on the way and took it a little too lightly since it was a blue circle on the map, and lost everything but my Dancer and my Nightseeker. So I figure whatever and decide to try the triggers for the event, and then see
the prompt and figure it was just another "oh, it was actually nothing after all" event and say yes. And then the boss comes down and I'm thinking "well, crap." But I decide to fight anyway, with my only source of healing coming from a level 1 healing dance, AKA pretty much nothing. And somehow, I won! It was crazy, but my dances+status effects pulled through and I pulled off a victory.

vall03

uh... I can't kill a Dragon in two turns with three Imperials? the fuck am I doing wrong? Charge buffs + debuffs + Charge Order Burst. What?!

vall03

wow! Being prepared against the Fallen One made the fight very easy. Can't believe I finished that fight with little to no problems considering I had trouble against him during the past couple of days. I had to hold back a little too since I used my Formaldehyde on the turn he used Darkness Curse on me, so I can't kill him right away. Was very lucky that my Imperial can use a Drive when his Head Bind wore off since I need his normal drop.

Anyway, whats the item between Flame Fang and Monks Cress? Its the only item I have left for a 100% Item Compendium.

spiritfox

wow! Being prepared against the Fallen One made the fight very easy. Can't believe I finished that fight with little to no problems considering I had trouble against him during the past couple of days. I had to hold back a little too since I used my Formaldehyde on the turn he used Darkness Curse on me, so I can't kill him right away. Was very lucky that my Imperial can use a Drive when his Head Bind wore off since I need his normal drop.

Anyway, whats the item between Flame Fang and Monks Cress? Its the only item I have left for a 100% Item Compendium.

Akaganeite. Rare mine from Noisy Marsh.

The third floor is pretty short - once you get to the main part you can reach it in a few minutes.
Bring as many ice stakes as you can.

Gah fuck the Misty Ravine boss. I've decided to drop my Nightseeker for a Sniper just for this fight so I can have head and arm binds off at the same time. Then after the fight I replace Snoiper with Arcanist.

What's the best way to catch up a level 1 character to the rest of the group?

tuffy

What's the best way to catch up a level 1 character to the rest of the group?
Whenever new classes are unlocked, a trainer appears at the bottom of the "get information" area in the quest bar which will instantly get you a lot of levels - though you can only use it twice. That's by far the easiest way.

Whenever new classes are unlocked, a trainer appears at the bottom of the "get information" area in the quest bar which will instantly get you a lot of levels - though you can only use it twice. That's by far the easiest way.

Yeah but I'm talking about my Sniper lol. I suppose I could grind him up to 20 something, but by then everyone else will be in the mid 30's.

tuffy

Yeah but I'm talking about my Sniper lol. I suppose I could grind him up to 20 something, but by then everyone else will be in the mid 30's.
Wandering around solo in the first floor of the floor of the first maze is a pretty low-risk way to get levels, assuming your recruit has high level gear. Just stop by the pole every so often to save.

But admittedly, for that particular boss fight, I just relied on the guest character's leg binding circle to take care of it and then switched over to a poison circle to take care of the support monsters once their legs were bound.

Wandering around solo in the first floor of the floor of the first maze is a pretty low-risk way to get levels, assuming your recruit has high level gear. Just stop by the pole every so often to save.

But admittedly, for that particular boss fight, I just relied on the guest character's leg binding circle to take care of it and then switched over to a poison circle to take care of the support monsters once their legs were bound.

I am relying on the guest character, but leg binding isn't enough. I need arm bind as well to prevent her insane damage.

scy

Edit: Oops, wrong skill. It's her buff that's timed (Turn X0) ;__;

You have a Runemaster, correct? You are using Ice Rune, right? It with a +Ice Resistance Food should cut most of the damage from the fight in half.

Top Bottom