• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

ohlawd

Help Me! Next time you ever need help, I'm gonna turn a blind eye.

Heh. No, not remotely new, but he has been inactive for a while. He was responsible for the arrangements in Falcom games for PC Engine CD, as well as the Perfect Collection CDs. He's very well loved by Falcom fans.

ahh shoot sorry lol. No disrespect towards him ;o

Effect

How is the story in the game? Is there even one of significance? Or is the entire focus on the repeat dungeon crawling/grind?

Anteo

How is the story in the game? Is there even one of significance? Or is the entire focus on the repeat dungeon crawling/grind?

It's likely that you won't jump into the next dugeon because you want to see what's next on the story. Also there is not much grinding unless you screw up your party, like abusing the reset system so you end underleveled for a boss fight (which I belive is what hapened to Help Me!). Or are hunting for a specific equip.

Soulhouf

What are the best attributes for weapon forging?
I didn't bother doing it until now but since I'm starting to get weapons with 4-6 empty slots and they are rare, I don't want to waste materials.
I noticed that ATK is better than STR for example. But other than that I can't decide what to do...

Sleepy

Obviously, looking at dungeon affinity (if that is what you call it) can help you choose. I know that I used sleep resistance in one dungeon. And fire/bind worked well for me in certain areas.

Ferrio

Banned
What are the best attributes for weapon forging?
I didn't bother doing it until now but since I'm starting to get weapons with 4-6 empty slots and they are rare, I don't want to waste materials.
I noticed that ATK is better than STR for example. But other than that I can't decide what to do...

Status effects IMO, especially if you're rocking assassins.

scy

ATK is better than STR after around 16 STR; ELE and TEC is the same around the 60s for TEC.

As for Status Effects, I wouldn't bother unless it's on something with Ailment Boost. It's just not that reliable without it. Unless, well, you don't need damage instead.

Ferrio

Banned
As for Status Effects, I wouldn't bother unless it's on something with Ailment Boost. It's just not that reliable without it. Unless, well, you don't need damage instead.

Pfft, My dancer just brute forces that shit. "Didn't proc paralyze? Lemme hit you 6 more times".

But ya I wouldn't put a status effect on say.. my fortress or runemaster.

Velcro Fly

Just beat the second maze. Boss was really tough and at some point victory came down to getting the right status ailments to stick and then just wail away. Had one run where the boss would do it's attack to remove binds every turn basically and that was a death. Next time just got unlucky with some attacks and decided to call it a loss relatively quickly. Third time was the charm. Still really enjoying the game and the challenge, just sometimes it feels like RNG instead of my party planning is the reason why I'm killing a boss.

Also is it worth it to make an arcanist? Are the classes you get later on in the game better than the stock classes you can create at the start of the game?

Soulhouf

ATK is better than STR after around 16 STR; ELE and TEC is the same around the 60s for TEC.

I was about to ask this.
Are elemental attacks directly affected by TEC? It's strange because for an Imperial for example, how his drive blade ELE damage is calculated? Is it based on STR or TEC?
Also when protection gear has ELE affinity, is that for attack or defense?
And which stat protects against these elemental attacks and untyped attack?
There are many confusing things like that going on and can't figure out how they work.

I know it's not required to know this to do everything but I'm curious.

Ferrio

Banned
Also is it worth it to make an arcanist? Are the classes you get later on in the game better than the stock classes you can create at the start of the game?

Arcanist is pretty awesome, but I've only used it as a sub class. As for your question, no they're not really better.. just different. Bushi is meh, imperialist is suppose to be really good, and arcanist is good.

Well I beat the blizzard king and awoken the fallen one... ya I'm going to have to wait a bit until I tangle with him.

tuffy

I like Arcanists. Poison Circle is easy to make overpowered when you first get it (300 points of damage per round when maxed), but the binding circles are even better later on. Dismiss Heal is going to be all the healing you'll ever need during fights, while Bracing Walk means never having to heal between fights. Even skills like Atrophic Eye, Release Spell and Warding Mist are good to have around.

The other two unlockable classes are good too for sheer damage output, but I always make room for an Arcanist.

tuffy

Starting to work on floor 2 of maze 6.... ya I can tell this'll be fun. :| Damn me for not having a sniper.
That's actually where I switched my Arcanist to binds. Three monsters at a time that cause petrification? Binding their heads with a circle shuts that down. A gang of monsters that explode when killed? Binding their heads with a circle shuts that done too. Monsters that attack the whole party when woken up? Oh look, binding their heads with a circle also shuts that down.

Not to mention that Dismiss Blast on round 2 wipes out anything that hasn't been killed on round 1.

Ferrio

Banned
Pity I only have a subclass arcanist, chances of the bind hitting is fairly low. Might just have to rock anti petrification charms.

Soulhouf

Starting to work on floor 2 of maze 6.... ya I can tell this'll be fun. :| Damn me for not having a sniper.

My dancer and Fortress are doing great job to prevent petrification from happening.

Only 1 petrifying enemy? First step -> Imperial -> Fire Drive
Many of them? Fortress -> holy blessing, Dancer -> refresh waltz, Archanist -> first step -> Imperial/RuneMaster + fire attack

A Dancer equipped with a stone charm is almost impossible to petrify.

Just finished the first maze and started the second. My party is pretty standard:

F / L / N
R / M

Should I be looking to swap out character classes or can this group survive the next maze or two?

Any recommendations as to how I should build out my Landshshddkt and the Nightseeker this early?

Ferrio

Banned
My dancer and Fortress are doing great job to prevent petrification from happening.

Only 1 petrifying enemy? First step -> Imperial -> Fire Drive
Many of them? Fortress -> holy blessing, Dancer -> refresh waltz, Archanist -> first step -> Imperial/RuneMaster + fire attack

A Dancer equipped with a stone charm is almost impossible to petrify.

My dancer has 0 healing skill hah.

scy

I was about to ask this.
Are elemental attacks directly affected by TEC? It's strange because for an Imperial for example, how his drive blade ELE damage is calculated? Is it based on STR or TEC?

Imperial Drives are STR based and work with both ATK and ELE Forges; Landsknecht Links are STR based and work with only ATK. For ... some reason.

The ELE and TEC comparison applies to Spells only as TEC is used for the Spell Power calculation (basically, the "Weapon Attack" statistic for spells).

Also when protection gear has ELE affinity, is that for attack or defense?

They're +Elemental Damage still.

And which stat protects against these elemental attacks and untyped attack?

Cut/Stab/Bash and Fire/Ice/Volt Forges on Armor are all -10% Damage taken (e.g., 10 slots would be -100%).

Untyped shouldn't have any defensive Forge related to them.

Nert

I'm only through most of the fourth dungeon, but my Arcanist (who I recruited after retiring a Sniper) is amazing. I have a handful of points in Bracing Walk and I almost never worry about my health now while exploring dungeons. The poison damage also seems a little ridiculous at the moment, making it an optimal strategy in a lot of fights to just have everyone use defend after a Poison Circle is placed down.

Ferrio

Banned
Perhaps it's time to rest your dancer?

@scy: Thanks! m(__)m
That's weird. How am I supposed to know that?
Sure it's not vital but can be very helpful.

Never! So far I haven't had any trouble, doubt I will either. If anything just a few charms and I'll be good to go.

Ferrio

Banned
Where did you spend your points?
My Dancer has currently 20 free skill points and I don't know what to do with them (lv75).

She's a dancer/assassin. In assassin she just has max blade fury and speed boost. In dancer she just has max counter/chase/trick samba. Then she has max sword/mist dance. Then max burst saver and dance master and she's working on maxing fan dance. Then all the specific dancer abilities like proficiency and what not.

Soulhouf

She's a dancer/assassin. In assassin she just has max blade fury and speed boost. In dancer she just has max counter/chase/trick samba. Then she has max sword/mist dance. Then max burst saver and dance master and she's working on maxing fan dance. Then all the specific dancer abilities like proficiency and what not.

You should definitely unlock refresh waltz and freedom waltz, they help a lot. When you apply it, you are protected during 6 turns which is awesome.
The only exception where that doesn't work is against Fallen One because he disables that ability when he does that annoying attack that binds everybody.

spiritfox

Don't take Speed Boost. It doesn't stack with Fan Dance and she's fast enough that she doesn't need the speed increase.

Roubjon

Guys guess what? I just unlocked Sub classes and now I'm overwhelmed like everyone else! I fused my Fortress with a Dancer so I can have a tank, but past that I don't really know what to do next. My Landsknecht doesn't use links, so subbing with a Runemaster wouldn't really be helpful. I also have Medic, a Nightseeker, and Runemaster. I read that combining the Nighseeker with a Bushi is really good, but I haven't unlocked them yet. It also seems like the Medic is going to be pretty useless after a certain point.

spiritfox

From what I read from scy, speed boost from the assassin stacks with fandance... just not speed boost from dancer.

IIRC, it's only N/D N Speed Boost that stacks with Fan Dance. All other combinations doesn't work. Anyway, Speed Boost doesn't actually gives evade, so the points could be better off going to her dances as she doesn't need the speed and accuracy buff.

Guys guess what? I just unlocked Sub classes and now I'm overwhelmed like everyone else! I fused my Fortress with a Dancer so I can have a tank, but past that I don't really know what to do next. My Landsknecht doesn't use links, so subbing with a Runemaster wouldn't really be helpful. I also have Medic, a Nightseeker, and Runemaster. I read that combining the Nighseeker with a Bushi is really good, but I haven't unlocked them yet. It also seems like the Medic is going to be pretty useless after a certain point.

Bushi is the best subclass for everyone.

For Medic, Arcanist gives you more things to do between healing, although I prefer A/M to M/A. Landsharks also sub well with M, give her Vanguard and Star Drop and she'll boost team damage a lot. For Non-link Landsandwich, Bushi gives her more damage, so either wait until you unlock B or just sub something else until then. Nightseeker benefits a lot from Arcanist's Ailment Boost, but that's only after lvl 40. Also Bushi, but see above. Finally for Runemaster... wait for it... Bushi. Imperial also works, but that's even later.

Kerrinck

Got stuck story wise after taking too long abreak.

Anyone knows where to go after
the titan heart is stolen? I am supposed to follow after the npc in Golden Lair but I have no idea where exactly. This is just after defeating the fire bird, after you visit the Golden Lair town.

Nevermind, all I had to do was to go near the next gate to trigger a scene.

Soulhouf

Don't take Speed Boost. It doesn't stack with Fan Dance and she's fast enough that she doesn't need the speed increase.

Seriously? What the hell?
That's an unfortunate bug...

Well, I can't say I wasted these points since with that I still have 20 points left. And I don't know what to do with them.

@Kerrinck: Go to the gate that leads to the next land on the world map.

tuffy

This trial and error of maze 6 is BALLS.

edit: Damn that room was big.. well found the stairs. yay.
The damage tiles in the room's non-darkened counterpart show you the path. It's another instance of the game trying to persuade you to have a really thorough map.

Shoyz

Warning: Don't buy EO4 from Newegg. They show the game pictured with the CD and artbook, I contacted them and asked if it still comes with the CD and artbook, and was told "What is pictured is what you'll receive" (which shows them). Got the basic game without the CD or artbook..

ohlawd

Warning: Don't buy EO4 from Newegg. They show the game pictured with the CD and artbook, I contacted them and asked if it still comes with the CD and artbook, and was told "What is pictured is what you'll receive" (which shows them). Got the basic game without the CD or artbook..

:/

First prints of the game come with the goodies iirc so maybe they got hold of 2nd prints now?

Shoyz

:/
First prints of the game come with the goodies iirc so maybe they got hold of 2nd prints now?

I even checked their feedback and found multiple positives for EO4 from only days prior, but I suppose so.
I'm just one of those suckers who believes that customer service wouldn't tell me blatant lies!

You figure it's worth the waiting time and shipping cost of returning it and getting a 1st print copy? Sucks to wait a week or two extra and pay out of pocket, but it's the principal of the thing.

ohlawd

I even checked their feedback and found multiple positives for EO4 from only days prior, but I suppose so.
I'm just one of those suckers who believes that customer service wouldn't tell me blatant lies!

You figure it's worth the waiting time and shipping cost of returning it and getting a 1st print copy? Sucks to wait a week or two extra and pay out of pocket, but it's the principal of the thing.

I'm a sucker for collectible stuff like artbooks and OSTs so I would say yes. But that's me and I'm biased.

But the artbook is definitely barebones. Not a lot of pages and the content is minimal. I haven't listened to the music disc but it's probably good.

tuffy

Considering EOIII's 1st press bonus artbook was still available on Amazon for ages, it's a good sign for EOIV's sales if its initial shipment is selling out already.

As for the bonus items themselves, they're not worth going to a whole lot of extra effort for. If you really like the art and soundtrack, you're better off finding the import artbook and OST. The freebies that came with the game are pretty bare-bones.

Ferrio

Banned
The damage tiles in the room's non-darkened counterpart show you the path. It's another instance of the game trying to persuade you to have a really thorough map.

That's what I thought, but I didn't give a damn to actually mirror it out. Not to mention I ran outta tiles to place just in that room, not sure how I'd map both rooms.

Anteo

That's what I thought, but I didn't give a damn to actually mirror it out. Not to mention I ran outta tiles to place just in that room, not sure how I'd map both rooms.

You could paint them with a different color? There are 4 colors to use.

1sXRQX4.jpg

Top Bottom