• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

I set EO aside for the shorter, story-focused Soul Hackers, and opening this thread might make me go back. At the end of the day, I enjoy playing this game a hell of a lot more.

ohlawd

Is a Fortress, Landshnect (bah, the spelling for this one), Dancer at the Front and Medic + Runemaster in the back good arrangements? Or should I snub Runemaster with Sniper? Or maybe replacing anyone in the front?

Also, can someone recommend me a good skill build for those classes above? Is it advisable, for example, to focus on a particular element for my Runemaster or should I spread her elements around?

A bit overwhelmed here, to be honest *phew*

I rolled with that team at the beginning of the game but I switched out Medic for a Sniper. Medics weren't that important to me. Eventually with the new classes you get, I booted some characters out to freshen my journey a bit.

For Runemasters, Lightning spells are the way to go. No real need to invest points in the other elements since you're just starting out and points are scarce.

Landsketch's should focus on their link skills.
Dancers were my main source of healing + buffs
Snipers on bind skills.

Any passives that improve the links/dances/debuffs should have some points poured into them too.

Anteo

Is a Fortress, Landshnect (bah, the spelling for this one), Dancer at the Front and Medic + Runemaster in the back good arrangements? Or should I snub Runemaster with Sniper? Or maybe replacing anyone in the front?

Also, can someone recommend me a good skill build for those classes above? Is it advisable, for example, to focus on a particular element for my Runemaster or should I spread her elements around?

A bit overwhelmed here, to be honest *phew*

Sniper is really usefull with binds, if you plan to go elemental with your Landschneckt then you can drop the Runemaster for a Sniper or maybe a Nightseeker. Even then, no class is really necesary so as long as you can survive battles you will be fine. Some battles are easier with specific classes/spells on the party though.

About the build, depends on what you want, I went for 1 point on each element and Max TPup asap to last longer on dugeon runs, but is generally recommended to focus on one or two elements at a time. Remember that spell upgrades are not exactly linear so you get the best upgrade from a skill point at half and max level (for example 4/8 and 8/8)

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, so the Warped Savior is impossible to beat without using the injections.
Actually not only Ragnarok attack is dangerous. Almost any attack he does when he opens his eye = instant death.
This really pisses me off because I don't want to do that stupid gimmick.

At least I tried u_u

I don't know why you consider it a gimmick. It's a well made puzzle.

Soulhouf

I don't even know where to begin to do that much damage in such a short amount of time with anything I've tried. I suspect those are the best swords in the game, which can only be forged from that same boss's drop. So one would have to kill it many times the easier way in order to fully forge all 8 slots across multiple weapons. But after all that, there wouldn't be any other challenges left than to attack it at full strength.

I can manage to do 4000-5000 damage with my Imperial's drives. He has that sword made from Fallen One and maxed out with 6 ATK slots.
My dancer has the katana from the same boss. maxed out with ATK + paralyze. Perhaps I should concentrate on binds?
If I give my RuneMaster a katana which I boost with ELE slots, will that increase her magic attacks better than the stave?
My only damage dealers are I and R and I like them.
Giving my Archanist a weapon that does binds is perhaps a good idea as well. She currently has that weapon which petrifies enemies.

I think this is perhaps my chance to try other classes as well (Lansknecht, Nightseeker and Sniper). I never really used the link abilities and it seems to be the way to go for this fight. I don't have many other options I guess...

I don't know why you consider it a gimmick. It's a well made puzzle.

Gimmick is perhaps a wrong word. I heard that the boss becomes easier than Fallen One if you do the injections. I don't want the game's ultimate boss to cease to be the strongest one :(

Ferrio

Banned
Gimmick is perhaps a wrong word. I heard that the boss becomes easier than Fallen One if you do the injections. I don't want the game's ultimate boss to cease to be the strongest one :(

They lied then. Was way harder than Fallen one IMO.

3 Attacks in a row that can one hit your party, an attack that puts random status effects on your whole party, an ability that wipes status effects from itself, an ability that doubles your AP cost on your skills and a limited period in which you can actually damage the main component.

Soulhouf

They lied then. Was way harder than Fallen one IMO.

3 Attacks in a row that can one hit your party, an attack that puts random status effects on your whole party, an ability that wipes status effects from itself, an ability that doubles your AP cost on your skills and a limited period in which you can actually damage the main component.

I see, thanks.
In that case I will do the puzzle and keep the challenge of beating him full power for later because I really can't find a way to do it now.
I can only stop his first Ragnarok attack and if I'm lucky enough, I survive until the second Ragnarok kills everybody. Or perhaps gamble with a D/N to be able to stun him in every turn and pray. But it's such a hassle...

Ferrio

Banned
I see, thanks.
In that case I will do the puzzle and keep the challenge of beating him full power for later because I really can't find a way to do it now.
I can only stop his first Ragnarok attack and if I'm lucky enough, I survive until the second Ragnarok kills everybody. Or perhaps gamble with a D/N to be able to stun him in every turn and pray. But it's such a hassle...

I was never able to stun him with dancer. Only way I was able to stun was the burst. I avoided the attacks buy paralyzing and head binding the eye. Not sure if that stops raganarok... I'm guessing not.

Soulhouf

I was never able to stun him with dancer. Only way I was able to stun was the burst. I avoided the attacks buy paralyzing and head binding the eye. Not sure if that stops raganarok... I'm guessing not.

He becomes very resistant to binds once the other parts are down, so I've never been able to head-bind him after the 1st turns, even after resetting his resistance.
My dancer managed to hit-stun him but only once.
I will try to give my Archanist a 6-slot head binding weapon and see if that works.

duckroll

Why is the Kibagami "fight" a battle which results in a Game Over? What the fuck? He only said he wanted to challenge me, not that he was going to fight me to the death. What's this nonsense. I thought I would try the fight out to see how strong he is and probably lose, and challenge him again later on. But no, because I didn't save before that, I lost like 20 minutes of progress. Terrible design. :(

Soulhouf

Why is the Kibagami "fight" a battle which results in a Game Over? What the fuck? He only said he wanted to challenge me, not that he was going to fight me to the death. What's this nonsense. I thought I would try the fight out to see how strong he is and probably lose, and challenge him again later on. But no, because I didn't save before that, I lost like 20 minutes of progress. Terrible design. :(

I lost more than 2 hours of progress in that same dungeon.
But yeah, it's Etrian Odyssey and it was my fault for not saving just before. I learned my lesson since then.

Clockwork5

This is shipping and should be here in a couple days! I finished FE:A today, my first fire emblem game, and I tried out the demo for this and I was surprised how fun the mapping is. Looking forward to getting into another new (to me) franchise! 3DS is turning into RPG gold. Anyway, as a newcomer i am sure i will have some questions along the way.

UberTag

Is it generally advisable not to retire your characters until Level 99 for max benefit?
My current crew (at Level 68) is getting schooled by the 6th maze right now (just made it to the 2nd floor) and I'm assessing my options on whether to respec, retire or take a break.

Should I retire this group at 70 and then quickly level them back up to get back on an even playing field? Probably makes the most sense if I'm struggling now, right?

Still running with my original crew - L/R, F/D, D/N (using Mauricio_Magus approved #1 dancer) in the front, S/A and R/I in the back.

Ferrio

Banned
I blame it on RPGs training people to expect those type of bullshit fights. Nope all fights in EO are win or lose.

Is it generally advisable not to retire your characters until Level 99 for max benefit?
My current crew (at Level 68) is getting schooled by the 6th maze right now (just made it to the 2nd floor) and I'm assessing my options on whether to respec, retire or take a break.

I retired at 40. Honestly you don't need to retire to beat the game.

Roubjon

I had the same thought process as you but nothing like this ever occurred in the game before, so I decided not to risk it. That sucks man.

And this dungeon in general sucks. So much backtracking and the gimmick sucks. Are the dungeons that come after this any better?

duckroll

I blame it on RPGs training people to expect those type of bullshit fights. Nope all fights in EO are win or lose.

No, this has nothing to do with expecting anything. The game flat out tells you that he's a nice guy and you are asking to challenge him to show him how strong you are. Nothing about it says that if you lose you will die. It's poorly designed.

ohlawd

Should I retire this group at 70 and then quickly level them back up to get back on an even playing field? Probably makes the most sense if I'm struggling now, right?

Still running with my original crew - L/R, F/D, D/N (using Mauricio_Magus approved #1 dancer) in the front, S/A and R/I in the back.

I retired at lvl 70. I was planning on retiring once more at 99 but I've managed to beat everything the game had to offer. In the end, I don't think it's necessary to retire at 99 just for endgame stuff.

I retired at lvl 70. I was planning on retiring once more at 99 but I've managed to beat everything the game had to offer. In the end, I don't think it's necessary to retire at 99 just for endgame stuff.

What are people's plans for getting back up to your starting levels after retiring, anyway? Is it all just golden-sheep grinding?

ohlawd

What are people's plans for getting back up to your starting levels after retiring, anyway? Is it all just golden-sheep grinding?

Yup, shiny Dream Eaters and shiny Icy Pincers (3 day respawn, 120k exp with Holy Gift) with 4 guest characters, 5th member is the one you wanna train.

Ferrio

Banned
This has still gotta be pretty friggin' slow to level back your whole team, though. :/

I used auto leveling.

Find a place in a dungeon that's beatable without any interaction. Set up a auto path and have someone hold down the A button.

Let the game sit for 12 hours... come back and you're good

I retired at 40. Honestly you don't need to retire to beat the game.

Is he taking relatively normal damage? Yes.

Is he one-shotting us with Cutscene Power? No.

Fight away!

No, this has nothing to do with expecting anything. The game flat out tells you that he's a nice guy and you are asking to challenge him to show him how strong you are. Nothing about it says that if you lose you will die. It's poorly designed.

This is EO. You can't even trust the goddamn squirrels. It is expectations.

ohlawd

This has still gotta be pretty friggin' slow to level back your whole team, though. :/

It goes by pretty fast. 1-70 in less than two hours. I forget exactly.

Actually it's more like how could I forget how long it takes to get to 1-70. I've done it this way with all 10 different classes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game is tough *phew*

Currently still on the 1st Plane, with Fortress, Landschneckt, and Dancer on front and Runemaster and Medic on the back. All level 11.

Man I don't know how I would make it without a Medic. The Patch Up ability is tremendously useful--without it I can't even begin to imagine how many return trips back to town I have to make :( ... but even with it I am still a bit struggling.

Now I am on the mission to pursue that Red-furred Gorilla thing. Managed to beat it on the 1st fight and then he escaped! (but I was actually thankful he escaped because my Medic at that time almost ran out of TP).

Then the game nonchalantly suggest that I 'trained' first at a cave that I forgot the name--the one surrounded by two giant Kangaroos. I baited one, entered the cave, and on random encounters the game threw me a rank-and-file scorpion type enemy that stung HARD. I mean, it can cut my Landschneckt HP from 80-ish to 30-ish in one shot with paralyze effect! >_____________> Bloody random encounters with enemies like this ;_______________;

And whaddyaknow, when I double back to the entrance those bloody Kangaroos blocked the way and killed my entire party very quickly >______________>

On the other cave that the game also suggest I trained my team (I forgot the name as well), I managed to beat two tiny horse-like FOE enemies but then the game suddenly without warning summon a big horse-like FOE that I *think* my team cannot beat yet. I ran my ass off to the entrance, it caught me due to its erratic movement that can phase through walls (WTF!!) and it launched an attack that STUNNED the entire team (again, WTF??!!) Luckily I managed to escape and double back to the entrance and return to town.

To add insult to injury, the money is a bit tight too >_____>

Goddamn it this game.

Anteo

Currently still on the 1st Plane, with Fortress, Landschneckt, and Dancer on front and Runemaster and Medic on the back. All level 11.

Man I don't know how I would make it without a Medic. The Patch Up ability is tremendously useful--without it I can't even begin to imagine how many return trips back to town I have to make :( ... but even with it I am still a bit struggling.

Now I am on the mission to pursue that Red-furred Gorilla thing. Managed to beat it on the 1st fight and then he escaped! (but I was actually thankful he escaped because my Medic at that time almost ran out of TP).

Then the game nonchalantly suggest that I 'trained' first at a cave that I forgot the name--the one surrounded by two giant Kangaroos. I baited one, entered the cave, and on random encounters the game threw me a rank-and-file scorpion type enemy that stung HARD. I mean, it can cut my Landschneckt HP from 80-ish to 30-ish in one shot with paralyze effect! >_____________> Bloody random encounters with enemies like this ;_______________;

And whaddyaknow, when I double back to the entrance those bloody Kangaroos blocked the way and killed my entire party very quickly >______________>

On the other cave that the game also suggest I trained my team (I forgot the name as well), I managed to beat two tiny horse-like FOE enemies but then the game suddenly without warning summon a big horse-like FOE that I *think* my team cannot beat yet. I ran my ass off to the entrance, it caught me due to its erratic movement that can phase through walls (WTF!!) and it launched an attack that STUNNED the entire team (again, WTF??!!) Luckily I managed to escape and double back to the entrance and return to town.

Goddamn it this game.

Ummm, why are you walking back to the entrance? Why don't you just Teleport out?

Ferrio

Banned

Goddamn it this game.

Carry threads with you always, there's no reason you should ever walk back to the entrance. Teleport out.

scy

Hm. It doesn't take too long to get back to the 70s by killing all the Shinies around the world that you can force. After that, I personally just grind the Dragons. Need them for fully forged Dragonsbanes anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ummm, why are you walking back to the entrance? Why don't you just Teleport out?

Carry threads with you always, there's no reason you should ever walk back to the entrance. Teleport out.

Like I said, money is a bit tight, so I was being (perhaps unreasonably) stingy with Ariadne Threads, hahaha.

Anyways, yea, this game is tough. I hate that scorpion thing. Its weakness is ice, but alas my Runemaster specializes in Lightning >___>

Does Ariadne Threads work while in skyship too?

Ferrio

Banned
Like I said, money is a bit tight, so I was being (perhaps unreasonably) stingy with Ariadne Threads, hahaha.

Anyways, yea, this game is tough. I hate that scorpion thing. Its weakness is ice, but alas my Runemaster specializes in Lightning >___>

Does Ariadne Threads work while in skyship too?

Yes.

If you're tight on money you can always scrounge some food items to sell, or harvesting nodes.

ohlawd

So badass walking back to the entrance.

Just imagine it.

It's night time so the forest is dark as heck. You're walking that short 4-tile distance to your airship. As you get closer to your ticket out of here, the sun begins to rise. The daylight pierces through the thickets of the towering trees and slowly, the forest floor reveals itself to you. Monster remains are all over the place. Blood is everywhere. You've made your mark here and the Lush Woodlands will remember your name.

Ferrio

Banned
So badass walking back to the entrance.

Just imagine it.

It's night time so the forest is dark as heck. You're walking that short 4-tile distance to your airship. As you get closer to your ticket out of here, the sun begins to rise. The daylight pierces through the thickets of the towering trees and slowly, the forest floor reveals itself to you. Monster remains are all over the place. Blood is everywhere. You've made your mark here and the Lush Woodlands will remember your name.

Then you get caught by a FOE on the overworld.

tuffy

I habitually keep 2 wires on hand, but still forget to restock on occasion. At higher levels, there's enough automatic HP and TP replenishing skills that there's little danger of being wiped by attrition. But there's still a sinking feeling when there's no warp items in the bag and it's going to be a long walk back to town.

Ferrio

Banned
I habitually keep 2 wires on hand, but still forget to restock on occasion. At higher levels, there's enough automatic HP and TP replenishing skills that there's little danger of being wiped by attrition. But there's still a sinking feeling when there's no warp items in the bag and it's going to be a long walk back to town.

I've gone in dungeons without threads on accident many times. Another reason why I never got rid of full retreat burst... used it as a ghetto pole stone so many times.

tuffy

I've gone in dungeons without threads on accident many times. Another reason why I never got rid of full retreat burst... used it as a ghetto pole stone so many times.
I think the only time I escaped from a fight was during that Golden Deer quest - where the full retreat burst would've come in handy had I remembered it - since I needed it alive. Otherwise, it's pretty much "never give up, never surrender" all of the time. Fighting the Boiling Lizard the first time probably would've gone a lot easier if I had run away more often, in retrospect.

ohlawd

Nahh, of course I read it. What I meant by suddenly is there's no indication whatsoever that killing the two weaker FOEs will actually summon a much stronger, big bad FOE.

BAM! Suddenly like that.

Apparently, anything goes in the EO universe.

Unfortunately I'm a fledgling fan of the series so maybe there's even more bs in the other games when it comes to FOEs.

Coming back to EO after taking a detour into MH land - decided I need to play and finish one handheld game at a time.

I'm only on the 2nd labyrinth (just got to the boss, lost once but think I know what to do now) and levels are around 28-30. I'm thinking I want to start building my L into a linker. Since those abilities are more effective the earlier in a turn the L acts, I need to get him acting faster. What is governing that? Agility? He's currently 4th to act which blows. My N acts first, S second, M third, then L then F. Do I just need to raise his agility somehow? Does it matter what kind of armor he's wearing or weapon he wields?

Sorry noob question I know...

Ala Alba

Coming back to EO after taking a detour into MH land - decided I need to play and finish one handheld game at a time.

I'm only on the 2nd labyrinth (just got to the boss, lost once but think I know what to do now) and levels are around 28-30. I'm thinking I want to start building my L into a linker. Since those abilities are more effective the earlier in a turn the L acts, I need to get him acting faster. What is governing that? Agility? He's currently 4th to act which blows. My N acts first, S second, M third, then L then F. Do I just need to raise his agility somehow? Does it matter what kind of armor he's wearing or weapon he wields?

Sorry noob question I know...

The easiest way is to use Vanguard to ensure he goes first for the next four turns.

Otherwise, Agility is the main modifier, but equipment provides hidden modifiers. Rapiers give a +2 bonus, while Swords give -2. Similarly, light/cloth armor gives +2, and Heavy Armor gives -2. For the best speed, equip a rapier, light armor, boots, and gloves.

Soulhouf

I retired my entire crew and got rid of the story characters so I had to start from scratch to build a new Archanist and Imperial.
I'm currently grinding my levels back by fighting the dragons. They are awesome to get a lot of xp.

Top Bottom