• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Ferrio

Banned
The maze 6 boss is mean... damn I even went through the whole bullshit to power him down.

Edit: Is there a food that raises all resistances to elements?

tuffy

The maze 6 boss is mean... damn I even went through the whole bullshit to power him down.

Edit: Is there a food that raises all resistances to elements?
It's a little misleading because if you don't power him down, he'll wipe your party with an unresistable instant death move unless you stun him on just the right turn. You're pretty much expected to wander through the floor fetching materials before the fight.

Oh, and the 4th area carp raise resistance to all elements. The rare carp raise it more, naturally.

Soulhouf

Back to EOIV.
Holy shit at that boss in the 6th maze.
I explored a little bit that floor and came along notes that speak of weakening him with injections.
It seems like another gimmick to weaken the boss before fighting him and I don't like this. I will try first to figure out a strategy to fight him legit like I did against Fallen One.
I still have time until Soul Hackers, but if I can't, I will follow what the documents say...

Ferrio

Banned
Crap, either I'm missing something or I'm going to have to grind (I'm lvl 80). The maze 6 boss goes nuts for like 5 turns in a row. Like two people maybe live past t he first one... no way I can recover after all 5.

Soulhouf

Crap, either I'm missing something or I'm going to have to grind (I'm lvl 80). The maze 6 boss goes nuts for like 5 turns in a row. Like two people maybe live past t he first one... no way I can recover after all 5.

Are you fighting him directly, without messing with the injections?
He is very hard to manage because of theses multi attacks in a row. I was obliterated by that Ragnarock attack.
At this point I suppose this is the ultimate boss so I think I will go and make better gear (Fallen One says hi -_-) before I fight him again.

Ferrio

Banned
Are you fighting him directly, without messing with the injections?
He is very hard to manage because of theses multi attacks in a row. I was obliterated by that Ragnarock attack.

Yes, used the correct injection. Only ragnarock disappears when you use it.. and he's at half health.

Soulhouf

Yes, used the correct injection. Only ragnarock disappears when you use it.. and he's at half health.

It should be much more manageable then right? Spam Origin Rune with your imperial untyped drive to get rid of the parts quickly. I think it's a simple damage race without Ragnarock.

I won't do the injections. Ragnarock must have a pattern and if I want to beat him, I need to figure out how it works.
And since he is the ultimate boss, I will grind to make a bad ass gear and come back when it's done.

Ferrio

Banned
After like 5 turns the eye closes and the arms come up again.

Almost had him though..due to nerve throw taking out his damage abilities, but I couldn't plow through a 3rd set of arms. Maybe if I had some more TP items.

Soulhouf

After like 5 turns the eye closes and the arms come up again.

Almost had him though..due to nerve throw taking out his damage abilities, but I couldn't plow through a 3rd set of arms. Maybe if I had some more TP items.

That's my biggest problem right now (after Ragnarock). I spent all my TP items against the end boss, but managed to kill the post game bosses without TP items, until now.
It seems it's impossible against this boss though.

Where can I harvest ingredients to make some amrita?

Ferrio

Banned
Did it! Bought a couple TP items, and some mists. Figured out the order of the elemental attacks and would throw up some mists. A good paralyze and hood binding and I was able to take it down before the 3rd set of limbs.

Here's the guild... wonder what that last square achievement is.

qy1POAD.jpg

7gz9ARi.png

Just beat the second maze, so far so good. Pretty standard team so far, lvl 27:

F / L / N
M / R

Fortress tanks and buffs, non-link Landy and Nightseeker attack, medic heals the fort and runemaster blasts away.

Any recommendations as to how to spec my Nightseeker, not sure what to do with her. Similarly for my runemaster should i focus on one element or spread points across all three? Also currently debating swapping in an arcanist but not sure who would I would consider removing.

tuffy

Any recommendations as to how to spec my Nightseeker, not sure what to do with her. Similarly for my runemaster should i focus on one element or spread points across all three? Also currently debating swapping in an arcanist but not sure who would I would consider removing.
I usually go for status effects first with a Nightseeker with just enough points in the weapon skills to get Foul Mastery later. But I'm not much of an expert on them.

As for a Runemaster, I think it's most efficient to put the bare minimum of points in the rune skills themselves to start with and focus on the passive skills that boost rune/elemental damage like Runic Flare, Runic Guidance and Rune Mastery. Why spend a point to increase only one kind of damage when you can spend a point to increase all the kinds of damage?

Bringing in an Arcanist to replace a Medic is also a pretty good idea. You'll be able to subclass an Arcanist as a Medic for those necessary status effect removal skills and revive, while Arcanist healing is quite powerful and offers binds/status effects as well which gives the character more to do than sitting around waiting to heal people.

Ferrio

Banned
Treasure maps. Have fun with guild QR codes.

That's what I figured. Screw that. Guess I'm done then... kinda sad :( . Total damage: 85 hours.

For me, early on I just maxed out sand throw and shadow bite for her main active skills... the rest I plopped down into her passives. Rune master I just maxxed lightning rune, put the rest into passives and maybe one point into other spells.

Soulhouf

Farming the Fallen One isn't fun. It's not the boss itself, he is cool, but farming the materials to make 15+ Theriaca A for each fight is killing me -_-

Soulhouf

Attack. Also matters what's bound. Either way it'd fall off after 1 or 2 rounds. Think I might of had my medic refresh someone once or twice per fight.

Normal attacks don't do anything except by the dancer, so it's a waste of time and I can't heal meanwhile.
It takes at least 5 turns to fall off. And the head bind is the last, so my medic can't do anything. If I cure everyone, I only loose 1-2 turns instead and I'm fully operational in the next one.

Ferrio

Banned
Normal attacks don't do anything except by the dancer, so it's a waste of time and I can't heal meanwhile.
It takes at least 5 turns to fall off. And the head bind is the last, so my medic can't do anything. If I cure everyone, I only loose 1-2 turns instead and I'm fully operational in the next one.

Huh odd. I just know the binds would fall off on my damage dealers way before it falled off on enemy. Of course first thing I do is throw black mist on the guy.

Yet another quest for the fourth land... man, it's on a long, long quest string. I'm very close to the end of the game now.

Now that I'm to the thing where I need to, apparently, examine four marks in a certain order or something. Seems like I'm missing something.

Anteo

Yet another quest for the fourth land... man, it's on a long, long quest string. I'm very close to the end of the game now.

Now that I'm to the thing where I need to, apparently, examine four marks in a certain order or something. Seems like I'm missing something.

Yeah that thing is more a exploration thing. You will explore that maze and find the things around there. After that you can open the big door.

Effing Boiling Lizard

More like Boiling Asshole. I can't even kill any of the scales before he gets to me. I must be doing something wrong.

tuffy

Effing Boiling Lizard

More like Boiling Asshole. I can't even kill any of the scales before he gets to me. I must be doing something wrong.
You should be able to reach the ones closest to the door, and leaving the room resets the lizard but not the broken scales.

I wound up buying a pile of cheap items that warp the party to the most recently used stairs. I'd break a scale, warp out when the lizard cornered me, then march back to the room to break the next scale. It wasn't pretty, but it beat trying to kill him at full strength.

Soulhouf

Effing Boiling Lizard

I know I know. I was a stubborn and fought it without breaking the scales until I beat him.
That fight will remain the most memorable in the entire game for me.

You should be able to reach the ones closest to the door, and leaving the room resets the lizard but not the broken scales.

I wound up buying a pile of cheap items that warp the party to the most recently used stairs. I'd break a scale, warp out when the lizard cornered me, then march back to the room to break the next scale. It wasn't pretty, but it beat trying to kill him at full strength.

I'm trying again tonight, I figured I was moving through the room wrong. At least I killed that stupid King Baboon last night after respecing most of my team to better handle getting hammered.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm trying again tonight, I figured I was moving through the room wrong. At least I killed that stupid King Baboon last night after respecing most of my team to better handle getting hammered.

Get some pole stones. Break a scale, pole stone, break a scale pole stone.

Or you can be crazy like me. Break a scale, head to next scale... if you get caught... escape and break the next!

duckroll

Finally made it through to the third land. Interesting contrast between the snow area in the land, and the cave area in the dungeons. Although... I think I would have preferred having snowy dungeons instead. >_<

Looks like the gimmick-puzzle design in dungeons continues. Not that I mine, it's just amusing to see how each cave and maze specifically has a gimmick which you "figure out" and exploit to progress quickly. I wonder if that's the sort of design philosophy they're going to use for the New EO too's maps too...

Down goes the Lizard. It was less difficult this time, but I also figured out when to use Aegis Ward to block his huge flame attack as well as got a lot more binds my 3rd time trying to fight him, making my Nightseeker do a lot more damage.

Was there a specific way to get the firewall to drop on him as he lost health, or did you have to just wait it out? I would have had him done my first try last night instead of my second if not for that.

tuffy

Was there a specific way to get the firewall to drop on him as he lost health, or did you have to just wait it out? I would have had him done my first try last night instead of my second if not for that.
Kibagami's Roar attack removes enemy buffs, which will stop it from regenerating its health.

Soulhouf

Okay, so the Warped Savior is impossible to beat without using the injections.
Actually not only Ragnarok attack is dangerous. Almost any attack he does when he opens his eye = instant death.
This really pisses me off because I don't want to do that stupid gimmick.

At least I tried u_u

Soulhouf

There's a video of someone beating Warped Savior without the injections in 14 turns using Geo Impact at just the right time, lots of buffs and a large amount of Linkschnekt chase hits. But it's certainly a lot easier to beat it the intended way.

Wow that's an impressive team.

I don't have a Landsknecht or Nightseeker.
My current team:
I/B
F/D
D/B -> perhaps change B -> N?

A/M
R/B

Any suggestions?
Also I should level up to 99. I'm currently ~85.

tuffy

Any suggestions?
Also I should level up to 99. I'm currently ~85.
I don't even know where to begin to do that much damage in such a short amount of time with anything I've tried. I suspect those are the best swords in the game, which can only be forged from that same boss's drop. So one would have to kill it many times the easier way in order to fully forge all 8 slots across multiple weapons. But after all that, there wouldn't be any other challenges left than to attack it at full strength.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is a Fortress, Landshnect (bah, the spelling for this one), Dancer at the Front and Medic + Runemaster in the back good arrangements? Or should I snub Runemaster with Sniper? Or maybe replacing anyone in the front?

Also, can someone recommend me a good skill build for those classes above? Is it advisable, for example, to focus on a particular element for my Runemaster or should I spread her elements around?

A bit overwhelmed here, to be honest *phew*

Top Bottom