• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK!

:mad:(((((((

A friend borrowed my 3DS (the Etrian Odyssey IV cartridge still inside) for a while saying he wants to try my E-Shop games but when he returned it to me I found that he overwrite my save file for EOIV!!!

Lost all my lv. 15 team!!!!!!!!!

I fucking can't believe it.

Fuck fuck fuck FUCK! I am so mad at him right now! :mad:(((

A friend borrowed my 3DS (the Etrian Odyssey IV cartridge still inside) for a while saying he wants to try my E-Shop games but when he returned it to me I found that he overwrite my save file for EOIV!!!

I'd murder him

Anteo

And with that, I'm off to back up my SD card.

MechaX

I bought this awhile back and I decided to try to jump into it after finishing Soul Hackers.

It really shows that this is my first Etrian Odyssey game, because it feels like I am making absolutely no progress at all. I managed to inch my way to B2 of the first maze (and then promptly almost got murdered when an FOE decided to get in on a random battle). I was told to go to some place west of the maze for "training." And I end up getting my ass kicked over there too. It just seems like the enemies do a lot of damage (and my healer is not fast enough to account for it at all). And any money I could have made in selling loot goes right back into medic costs.

It's still somewhat fun, but I'm still in the "I have no idea what I'm doing.gif" phase of things and it's a bit unnerving.

I bought this awhile back and I decided to try to jump into it after finishing Soul Hackers.

It really shows that this is my first Etrian Odyssey game, because it feels like I am making absolutely no progress at all. I managed to inch my way to B2 of the first maze (and then promptly almost got murdered when an FOE decided to get in on a random battle). I was told to go to some place west of the maze for "training." And I end up getting my ass kicked over there too. It just seems like the enemies do a lot of damage (and my healer is not fast enough to account for it at all). And any money I could have made in selling loot goes right back into medic costs.

It's still somewhat fun, but I'm still in the "I have no idea what I'm doing.gif" phase of things and it's a bit unnerving.

remember that you can "rest" you character and loss 2 levels(which is NOTHING) to relocate your skills, so NOTHING is permanent, just experiment and have fun.

most teams work, but I recommend having a Fotress and at least a Medic or Dancer(bestclassever)

My party just hit level 20, so I'm looking for advice as to how I should re-allocate their skills. I have a lanswhatever, a fortress, a medic, a sniper, and a runemaster.

Anteo

My party just hit level 20, so I'm looking for advice as to how I should re-allocate their skills. I have a lanswhatever, a fortress, a medic, a sniper, and a runemaster.

First: Wait till you are level 22.
Second: Get revive on the Medic.

That's all I got.

tuffy

For a Runemaster, put the bare minimum of skill points into the damage runes themselves at first and invest in Runic Flare, Runic Guidance and (eventually) Rune Mastery instead. Passive skills that boost all your elemental rune damage are a better bargain than improving skills that only do one kind of damage to only one variety of targets - and it keeps your TP costs low too.

Soulhouf

Wow, Warped Savior became a joke after weakening him with injections.
What a disappointment. I really don't understand why there isn't a middle ground between the immortal god and that weak being...

First: Wait till you are level 22.
Second: Get revive on the Medic.

That's all I got.

For a Runemaster, put the bare minimum of skill points into the damage runes themselves at first and invest in Runic Flare, Runic Guidance and (eventually) Rune Mastery instead. Passive skills that boost all your elemental rune damage are a better bargain than improving skills that only do one kind of damage to only one variety of targets - and it keeps your TP costs low too.

Thanks, you two. I'm trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible. My time with this game is limited.

MechaX

Okay, I just got down to B3 of the Lush Woodlands and I'm before what I'm assuming is the big boss of this area.

In addition to the boss, there is a golden Bloodbear that wanders around and respawned two days in a row. Am I meant to grind off of this thing to prepare for the boss?

Edit: Nevermind; I went back down there for a third time, and it wasn't golden anymore. Ah oh well, time for the boss!

Anteo

Okay, I just got down to B3 of the Lush Woodlands and I'm before what I'm assuming is the big boss of this area.

In addition to the boss, there is a golden Bloodbear that wanders around and respawned two days in a row. Am I meant to grind off of this thing to prepare for the boss?

Edit: Nevermind; I went back down there for a third time, and it wasn't golden anymore. Ah oh well, time for the boss!

Gold FOE are like gold random enemies, they are rare but give more exp. I think gold FOE get stronger every turn but I'm not sure.

traveler

Not Wario
I haven't played any of the series, but have always heard good things about it, so I was thinking of giving it a shot. Is IV the best one to start with/best period? Thanks.

tuffy

I haven't played any of the series, but have always heard good things about it, so I was thinking of giving it a shot. Is IV the best one to start with/best period? Thanks.
There aren't any story connections and it's the easiest to get into yet so it's a good starting point. If you're not sure, try the free demo. Its save transfers to the full game so you've got nothing to lose.

traveler

Not Wario
There aren't any story connections and it's the easiest to get into yet so it's a good starting point. If you're not sure, try the free demo. Its save transfers to the full game so you've got nothing to lose.

Yeah, I liked the demo; I just wasn't sure if one of the previous titles was considered substantially better or not. If there all pretty much on the same level, I'll go with IV.

vareon

And I'm back into the game after MonHun stole my 3DS time. Just got into the second stratum and that exploding enemy...pretty much killed everyone when it exploded. Good old Etrian Odyssey.

KarmaCow

Okay dumb question, does charge boost elemental drives? I assumed it didn't because the tooltip says it boosts physical attacks but I just watched a video of a N/I one shotting a dragon using charge (I assume he had a weapon with the skill). I really wish I had known this about 25 hours ago in my game when I was wishing I had more burst damage while banging my head against the wall but I'm basically done with the game. I only have a boss and some conditional drops left to do.

But about the final final boss.
What triggers the megido attack? I thought it was killing the arms but it wasn't that and it doesn't seem to be turn based but I may have miscounted due the larval stage.

tuffy

Okay dumb question, does charge boost elemental drives? I assumed it didn't because the tooltip says it boosts physical attacks but I just watched a video of a N/I one shotting a dragon using charge (I assume he had a weapon with the skill). I really wish I had known this about 25 hours ago in my game when I was wishing I had more burst damage while banging my head against the wall but I'm basically done with the game. I only have a boss and some conditional drops left to do.
That's level 1 Bushi Charge from the power gauntlets, which are found in a chest in the 5th maze. It's a 180% damage boost to the next attack, which stacks nicely with the Nightseeker's 280% class-based damage boost for anything with a status effect, along with another 125% for Foul Mastery, plus the Imperial subclass's passive physical and elemental damage boosts, plus the dragon's built-in weakness to an element, and 670% damage from the drive itself.

It all adds up to 5 digit damage. But it's very conditional on landing some sort of status effect and having it stick until that big shot is fired.

so i need help in golden lair B3F. i have time to play a lot tuesday night and wednesday so hopefully get some help before then.

so i have the ice melted where i can walk over it on B1F and B2F but when i go to the third floor i can't. so i'm blocked from going anywhere. what do i need to do to continue with the game?

Ferrio

Banned
so i need help in golden lair B3F. i have time to play a lot tuesday night and wednesday so hopefully get some help before then.

so i have the ice melted where i can walk over it on B1F and B2F but when i go to the third floor i can't. so i'm blocked from going anywhere. what do i need to do to continue with the game?

I don't remember exactly but

There's a couple stair entrances into B3F, you may of not found them. Believe that one is in the upper right of B2F, right near the save point thingie (brain fart, can't remember the name)

KarmaCow

Okay I'm planning on resting to make use of charge but I want to be clear about a couple things.

Do skills that say "increases physical attack power" like Power Boost affect attacks like Links and elemental drives? What about elemental booating skills for Link damage? Sorta related to that, would I be better off splitting ATK and ELM forges evenly on my elemental Imperial's drive blade? I know ELM forges do not affect link damage but now I'm not sure about elemental drives.

Does the Arcanist skill that heals the party when a circle is active stack with multiple people with the skill? I might have some spare points on my Sniper for it.

Soulhouf

Okay I'm planning on resting to make use of charge but I want to be clear about a couple things.

Do skills that say "increases physical attack power" like Power Boost affect attacks like Links and elemental drives? Sorta related to that, would I be better off splitting ATK and ELM forges evenly on my elemental Imperial's drive blade? I know ELM forges do not affect link damage but now I'm not sure about elemental drives.

Does the Arcanist skill that heals the party when a circle is active stack with multiple people with the skill? I might have some spare points on my Sniper for it.

Elemental drives are affected by ATK and ELM. But it's better to go ATK IMO to take advantage of that bonus on physical attacks as well.

KarmaCow

Alright good to know about the forges and healing circle stuff, but does anyone know about the physical attack boosting skills?

vareon

Should I spend skill points in TP Boost for Runemaster? I'm planning for a new build since he'll reach level 22 soon.

Smilax

Just played the Demo recently and I like it. I'm hoping to pick up this game soon. Is there any information I should know before I pick this up?

spiritfox

I personally thought TP boost was one of the best skills to max.

I feel that TP Boost falls in the late game, with better ways to recover TP and having more TP begin with. So just skill it for now, and reskill it later for more important skills.

yami4ct

Got this game yesterday. Spent most of yesterday and today on it. So addictive. After quite a bit of trouble, got through World 1. So many stupid deaths. The one that bugged me in particular was when I beat the final boss of the first dungeon, didn't have a warp out item and having my weakened party killed on the way out. Lost like 2-hours there.

A few things have surprised me about this game. Mostly, I think the combat feels a lot more strategic. Unlike a lot of other JRPGs, I really have to think about what my party's going to do in order to pull off. Another thing is how long it's taken my party to really start to mesh. I've got a Fortress, Dancer, Nightseeker, Runemaster and Sniper. Most of them haven't gotten useful until the past few hours. The Sniper in particular has gotten so much more useful. That Arm Bind is a lifesaver.

Overall, I really love it. It's a bit stressful in places, mainly because I'm kind of terrible at it, but it's really rewarding.

Got this game yesterday. Spent most of yesterday and today on it. So addictive. After quite a bit of trouble, got through World 1. So many stupid deaths. The one that bugged me in particular was when I beat the final boss of the first dungeon, didn't have a warp out item and having my weakened party killed on the way out. Lost like 2-hours there.

A few things have surprised me about this game. Mostly, I think the combat feels a lot more strategic. Unlike a lot of other JRPGs, I really have to think about what my party's going to do in order to pull off. Another thing is how long it's taken my party to really start to mesh. I've got a Fortress, Dancer, Nightseeker, Runemaster and Sniper. Most of them haven't gotten useful until the past few hours. The Sniper in particular has gotten so much more useful. That Arm Bind is a lifesaver.

Overall, I really love it. It's a bit stressful in places, mainly because I'm kind of terrible at it, but it's really rewarding.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, this game really showed me(and anyone that has played it) that JRPG's can be a lot about the strategy and not just leveling up to win with RAW damage. If you have any questions we'll all help you out.

Your have a well balanced party so you should do well later on.

vareon

Etrian Odyssey 1 is the first RPG where I actually use buffs and debuffs, status effects, etc. My "tactics" in previous RPGs was to hit enemies with the element it is weak to and not much else. It really is an eye-opener.

Etrian Odyssey 1 is the first RPG where I actually use buffs and debuffs, status effects, etc. My "tactics" in previous RPGs was to hit enemies with the element it is weak to and not much else. It really is an eye-opener.

I had my eyes opened by SMT before EO, it was quite mindblowing because I couldn't believe it.

which are also made by Atlus, the god of RPG's

Soulhouf

Always carry threads with you. I lost the count of how many times it saved my ass.
And regarding battles, there are 3 vital aspects you need to master: binds, buffs/debuffs and burst skills.

I had my eyes opened by SMT before EO, it was quite mindblowing because I couldn't believe it.

which are also made by Atlus, the god of RPG's

@Mauricio_Magus: Vagrant Story says HI!

Top Bottom