• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

scy

Depends on the situation, I know it would have been useful for my farming party to just go around teleporting in the second floor to get faster to the take point in the far east and not having to deal with the deer near the fist one. But they would level up much slower (or nothing at all).

Well, okay, you can do that too. I was more just commenting on you cannot use it to escape bad situations unless it's on a Floor you've already explored. New floors have it locked entirely.

Honestly, there's enough EXP as is, especially with how easy FoEs are again.

Well for example, on the Floor 3 with the Stalkers, there are chests and quests to get to certain areas. You can use an Ariadne Thread to just rush it with no exit strategy but that's also 100en or you can just Floor Jump out for free.

Still can't do that until you've explored the floor :x But, yeah, I used Floor Jump to deal with that triple Stalker room.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've been using floor jump but I don't like it. I preferred the clever level design involving shortcuts because building shortcuts was much more satisfying. And I felt that re-walking to where I last warped out would often use up just enough resources to make continued exploration just a little more tense.

There was also just a little bit of added tension in killing a FOE that was in my way, warping out, and then knowing I have x days to explore past him before he comes back. There also can never be the true terror of being half dead on floor 4 and realize you forgot to buy an ariadne thread. At most, you only have to survive to the last set of stairs instead of getting allllll the way back out.

That said, it was pretty tedious setting up the auto walk arrows and I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

edit: I think my preferred solution would be that from town, you can start from any of the jumpable stairs but once in the dungeon its a thread or you walk your ass out.

Anteo

Well, okay, you can do that too. I was more just commenting on you cannot use it to escape bad situations unless it's on a Floor you've already explored. New floors have it locked entirely.

Still can't do that until you've explored the floor :x But, yeah, I used Floor Jump to deal with that triple Stalker room.

You sinner!

But yeah, as soon as you unlock it, whatever danger is in getting to some parts of the floor is gone.

scy

I've been using floor jump but I don't like it. I preferred the clever level design involving shortcuts because building shortcuts was much more satisfying. And I felt that re-walking to where I last warped out would often use up just enough resources to make continued exploration just a little more tense.

I think they added Floor Jump after the map designs were done. They all still have the shortcuts for traveling quickly through the Floor from Entrance to Exit (and, typically, Entrance/Exit to one Gathering node).

There was also just a little bit of added tension in killing a FOE that was in my way, warping out, and then knowing I have x days to explore past him before he comes back.

Am I the only one just ... killing them all? ;__;

That said, it was pretty tedious setting up the auto walk arrows and I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Thankfully, they did make this easier with the "brush" for placing/removing auto-walk arrows. Humorously, this change is done when they make auto-walk less useful.

edit: I think my preferred solution would be that from town, you can start from any of the jumpable stairs but once in the dungeon its a thread or you walk your ass out.

That would probably be the best.

You sinner!

I didn't have Flash Bombs to make the triple Stalker easier and the best split I could do would be two turn delay before the second came and one turn before the third. One chest is free if I recall so I just grabbed the second later and Floor Jumped so I could keep my +EXP buff going.

KarmaCow

Yea, it's not a complete replacement for Ariadne Thread but the requirements for unlock floor jump still seems lax. I replayed the demo to rename my guild before the game came out and just rushing through with what I thought were significant areas unmarked still was enough to unlock it. I'm pretty sure I never opened the two shortcuts on floor 2 and still got floor jump when I reached the end, but I was half paying attention while replaying it.

Anteo

I think they added Floor Jump after the map designs were done. They all still have the shortcuts for traveling quickly through the Floor from Entrance to Exit (and, typically, Entrance/Exit to one Gathering node).

Thankfully, they did make this easier with the "brush" for placing/removing auto-walk arrows. Humorously, this change is done when they make auto-walk less useful.

Question, are there any of the mid strata poles this time around? I know they existed in EO 1-2.

Also, I kill all of the FOE, but I dont try to push it and do it asap.

slayn

The shortcuts are there, but there is no satisfaction in finding them because I no longer have any need of them when I can just teleport where ever.

And actually yeah in this I'm just killing the FOEs. That was more in reference to past EOs where either FOEs were a lot stronger or I was suckier or both.

scy

Yea, it's not a complete replacement for Ariadne Thread but the requirements for unlock floor jump still seems lax. I replayed the demo to rename my guild before the game came out and just rushing through with what I thought were significant areas unmarked still was enough to unlock it.

I want to say that the requirements are some sort of vision percentage, not necessarily mapped percentage.

I haven't looked into it and short of starting a new game and keeping track of the mapping tile count I do, not sure how I'd get anything concrete on it :(

KarmaCow

Question, are there any of the mid strata poles this time around? I know they existed in EO 1-2.

Also, I kill all of the FOE, but I dont try to push it and do it asap.

Poles were added in EO2 IIRC, there were only the full ones at the beginning of strata in EO1.

I want to say that the requirements are some sort of vision percentage, not necessarily mapped percentage.

I haven't looked into it and short of starting a new game and keeping track of the mapping tile count I do, not sure how I'd get anything concrete on it :(

It's more a curiosity now that I'm playing the full game. It'll come out eventually.

slayn

Wait there are requirements to getting floor jump other than just finding the next set of stairs? I have never failed to unlock floor jump the instant I hit the next down stairs.

And yeah, the poles were added in EO2

tuffy

I think the mid-strata poles were in EO2 and then never seen again.

Though between geomagnetic poles, shortcuts, autopilot arrows and now stair warps, the game's gone a little overboard in keeping people from exploring the same section of maze twice.

Anteo

Oh I see, never played 1 or 2.
You know, next time make it so you cant use it on expert, I'm sure people that play on expert would not mind if those are gone.

Soon we'll be able to just Teleport.

"Go to the credits: Y/N?"

Anteo

lol
just saw a video of boss farming with revenge.

So no experience from quests on EOI huh..

Also I'm doing fine with no healer so far!

turnbuckle

I'd say the ones that increase the chance of Grimoire Chance (...seriously, that's so awkward to say) would be the best if you're just set on killing FoEs. That's probably ideal anyway if you're after some of the better Enemy Skills.

If you're just running around trying to map stuff out or want drops or something else that necessitates many smaller fights then +Rare Breeds might come out ahead. I'd just think that focusing on FoEs makes the most sense for farming stones.

I'm missing something here. still only an hour or two into the game so bear with me: there's a way to choose how to increase grimoire chances? does it have to do with the woman at the mansion? right now she only gives me a little party regen after each round of battle

slayn

I'm missing something here. still only an hour or two into the game so bear with me: there's a way to choose how to increase grimoire chances? does it have to do with the woman at the mansion? right now she only gives me a little party regen after each round of battle
As you play more, you get more options for these buffs and sometimes they will have a random GOOD or BAD listed next to them which add extra random buffs/debuffs on top of what the listed effect is.

I don't know the full list, but there is like extra gimoire chance, extra rare breeds, get more xp, grimoire stones get +2 skill levels, and grimoire chances guarantee grimoire stones. I think thats all the ones I've seen.

scy

lol
just saw a video of boss farming with revenge.

So no experience from quests on EOI huh..

Also I'm doing fine with no healer so far!

Revenge was fun in this sort of "it's okay to deal 2500~ unresistable damage, right?" Really removed a lot of difficulty but, at the same time, a lot of the fights weren't troublesome without it either. They did the balance for it "right" in EO3 by just ... raising the HP of enemies (and the damage of everything else) so it couldn't keep up anyway. Well, that and they nerfed it a bit but still :x

And, yeah, EO1 had no Quest EXP (same for EO2, which also had no FoE EXP but Bosses gave a ton of EXP).

Sometimes the cordials have a [GOOD] effect which is just randomly something ... well, good. There isn't a cordial that is just straight amazing like +Rare Breed / +Grimoire Chance, etc. however. Still, free +TP/turn is just too hard to pass up, especially early game, so you should always be using the bonuses even if you don't get a [GOOD] effect.

turnbuckle

Revenge was fun in this sort of "it's okay to deal 2500~ unresistable damage, right?" Really removed a lot of difficulty but, at the same time, a lot of the fights weren't troublesome without it either. They did the balance for it "right" in EO3 by just ... raising the HP of enemies (and the damage of everything else) so it couldn't keep up anyway. Well, that and they nerfed it a bit but still :x

And, yeah, EO1 had no Quest EXP (same for EO2, which also had no FoE EXP but Bosses gave a ton of EXP).

Sometimes the cordials have a [GOOD] effect which is just randomly something ... well, good. There isn't a cordial that is just straight amazing like +Rare Breed / +Grimoire Chance, etc. however. Still, free +TP/turn is just too hard to pass up, especially early game, so you should always be using the bonuses even if you don't get a [GOOD] effect.

I should read up on this stuff somewhere, but I'm so worried about getting sucked into looking seeing topics about the best builds or the best strategies for this or that and ruining the experimenting part of the game. EOI was so fun until I learned about immunize and...I think there was another skill that was overpowered too. Once I read about them I felt silly for using anything else.

So...you've been really helpful in keeping me from checking out gamefaqs for these minor questions - How do you unlock the other types of [good] or [bad] cordials? Is that what the QR codes are for? I know they opened up quests and dowsing points in EOIV, but since there's nothing like the boat/balloon parts in EOIII/IV I'm wondering if the QR codes are used in that way instead.

also, i had a few too many drinks for lunch so my apologies if I sound semi-incoherenet lol.

Hey guys, I'm a bit late here - I just started the game last night and I'm wondering you guys could give me a link to a min/max stat build guide for Story Mode. Thanks!

scy

I should read up on this stuff somewhere, but I'm so worried about getting sucked into looking seeing topics about the best builds or the best strategies for this or that and ruining the experimenting part of the game. EOI was so fun until I learned about immunize and...I think there was another skill that was overpowered too. Once I read about them I felt silly for using anything else.

Defender, probably. And there's more to it than just that. The problem with EO1 wasn't JUST Immunize and Defender. It was that the game calculations were done like this:

[IncomingDamage * [1 - DR%]] - Armor

So you'd reduce the incoming damage by a lot and then remove a flat amount from it. This had the unfortunate side-effect of just straight removing all damage taken since the order of operations was flawed. For instance, a 300 Damage hit reduced by 90% and then removed 50 damage from it would be below zero damage (-20) which the game would just treat as Random[1..5]. Unfortunately, the game kind of had these high DR% values in mind so you'd run into hits for ~300+ that wouldn't be stopped by Armor (since, in this example you'd only drop 50 from it) but even a trivial amount of DR% (say, 50%) would mean you're taking around 33% of the base damage.

This has since been fixed so the damage has a flat reduction done before multipliers are applied. So damage scales a bit slower and DR% isn't as necessary to bring damage values to a normal range and is more used ... well, just for lowering damage taken as opposed to straight up surviving.

So...you've been really helpful in keeping me from checking out gamefaqs for these minor questions - How do you unlock the other types of [good] or [bad] cordials? Is that what the QR codes are for? I know they opened up quests and dowsing points in EOIV, but since there's nothing like the boat/balloon parts in EOIII/IV I'm wondering if the QR codes are used in that way instead.

[GOOD] and [BAD] are flat out random effects that show up on them that are unrelated to the cordials themselves. They just randomly have them. The other cordials (TP/turn, +HP Max, +TP Max) are through completing requests for Rosa (+ Story progress?). Not sure if the same applies to Classic.

Hey guys, I'm a bit late here - I just started the game last night and I'm wondering you guys could give me a link to a min/max stat build guide for Story Mode. Thanks!

Like, ideal skill builds? I don't think we've done anything for that yet. Like, you're not that late to the party :x

As for builds for Story, I dunno ... I wouldn't really worry about it. Attack Skills auto-unlock with Weapon Mastery so you're not really pressed for points there.

Yeah, stats allocate themselves without being distributed by the player. As for skill builds, well, a few points in gathering skills is useful, and knowing the general job of a character too. I mean, I rested my medic when I was testing Atk Up, and got Caduceus, but a Medic is the archetypal 'Heal' character, so it's not a good idea to go too far out with your builds. Also, putting one point in various skills seems like a good idea and when you figure out which you like.

It's still decent I guess. My base ATK on Raquna and Simon are just about the same. However, I have a 10/10 in ATK Up, and Caduceus does about as much damage as Shield Smite, though it does only have one point in it. At least it has a chance to Stun!

cjkeats

I couldn't even find a weakness for one of the early bosses, I doubt you'll have any ideal builds just yet.

It's pretty straightforward. I'm more or less just winging it.

turnbuckle

For what it's worth, Caduceus in EO1 used to be the best melee skill in the game.

Yup, that's one of the other skills I was thinking about.

I think this is my last question and perhaps you could help me out.

In some or maybe all of the games in the series there were hidden bonuses to items that weren't reflected, or were improperly reflected on a character's stat sheet. I can't remember all of them now, but one example being how either ATK or STR was much better than the other for all physical damage. You wouldn't know it by looking at your characters' stats, but one was clearly better than the other in application.

Another example is how boots improved a character's attack order in a way that didn't correspond to their agility stat. Whips and maybe bows were the same, while maces were a lot slower. I think there's a hidden value for each armor/weapon type but I'm just being general here.

Do you know if this is the same for this game?

Yup, that's one of the other skills I was thinking about.

I think this is my last question and perhaps you could help me out.

In some or maybe all of the games in the series there were hidden bonuses to items that weren't reflected, or were improperly reflected on a character's stat sheet. I can't remember all of them now, but one example being how either ATK or STR was much better than the other for all physical damage. You wouldn't know it by looking at your characters' stats, but one was clearly better than the other in application.

Another example is how boots improved a character's attack order in a way that didn't correspond to their agility stat. Whips and maybe bows were the same, while maces were a lot slower. I think there's a hidden value for each armor/weapon type but I'm just being general here.

Yeah, I know for sure that ATK/DEF Up skills don't reflect on the Status sheet, so I suppose they are "hidden bonuses." As for items, I'm guessing there are move speed bonuses like there were in the other games. Shoes make you go fast, etc.

slayn

ATK vs STR kind of stuff I think is a lot less important without the forge. I mean I've seen stuff that has maybe +1 STR which is negligible.

I would be surprised if they changed the speed modifiers given that boots still have sub-par stats. In which case boots, gloves, and light armor make you faster while shields and heavy armor slow you down. Big heavy weapons like hammers are slow. Small weapons like daggers are fast. Boots have the most significant impact to your speed.

edit: And the impact of this remains relatively minor compared to your agility and the skill you use in battle. I mean in the most extreme case you would have a dagger, light armor, gloves, and boots which is worth something like +10 agility when determining turn order. But if you have low agility or use a slow skill you still aren't going to go first. Mostly I like to just give my medics boots and a status inflicting dagger because a medic going before a FOE/Boss changes the dynamic significantly when you know you can reliably get a heal off before the boss attacks again.

scy

Yes. There are still "weight" modifiers for all weapons/armors though I can't tell you what they are right now since ... well, I don't know the values yet :x Likewise, there are modifiers for skills too.

Yeah, I know for sure that ATK/DEF Up skills don't reflect on the Status sheet, so I suppose they are "hidden bonuses." As for items, I'm guessing there are move speed bonuses like there were in the other games. Shoes make you go fast, etc.

ATK/DEF Up Skills tack on a multiplier to their respective functions.

And, in true EO tradition, the ATK/DEF status screen is absolutely useless as it is calculating a fake value that the game never actually uses.

ATK/DEF Up Skills tack on a multiplier to their respective functions.

Well, I didn't think they were worth using after testing them out a bit. Do you have any reason to believe they are good? Maybe it's just because 1 or 2 points on a Grimoire isn't very much of a multiplier, or my damage is too low to see much of a difference.

Yeah, now I'm thinking STR/VIT is more important than ATK/DEF

scy

Well, I didn't think they were worth using after testing them out a bit. Do you have any reason to believe they are good? Maybe it's just because 1 or 2 points on a Grimoire isn't very much of a multiplier, or my damage is too low to see much of a difference.

As far as I can tell, it's rather streamlined as +2% (-2% for DEF) per point. ATK Up 10/10 is +20% Damage, DEF Up 10/10 is 80% Damage Taken, etc.

Likewise, Weapon Masteries seem to be about the same (it might actually be 1.5%/point for them, hard to tell).

Yeah, now I'm thinking STR/VIT is more important than ATK/DEF

STR is a multiplier. If the formula hasn't changed (and it doesn't necessarily seem like it has yet), it's still:

(awATK - dDEF) * sqrt(aSTR/dVIT) * DamageMultipliers

So your most important stat will be the raw ATK of your Weapon vs the target's total Armor factor. After that, it scales with your STR vs the target's VIT and then is multiplied by all the various DamageMultipliers involved.

"DamageMultipliers" here being all related skills. Assuming my numbers are right, for instance, Raging Edge 10/10 (320%), Sword Mastery 10/10 (115%), and ATK Up 10/10 (120%) would mean doing ~441% damage.

Edit: And just to be complete, I guess:

awATK == Attacker Weapon Attack
dDEF = Defender Defense
aSTR = Attacker Strength
dVIT = Defender Vitality

I have never actually played an Etrian Odyssey game (just a few demos) I really enjoy what I have seen and I want to jump in. Would you guys suggest EO: untold or EO: IV??

thanks

Ferrio

Banned
I have never actually played an Etrian Odyssey game (just a few demos) I really enjoy what I have seen and I want to jump in. Would you guys suggest EO: untold or EO: IV??

thanks

I'd say it matters if you want the story mode or not. If you want a classic Etrian experience do IV. If you feel the need you have to have a traditional story with set characters/classes, then do untold.

edit:

The debuff/buff limit in EO untold is EVIL. In IV it wasn't bad cause dancer did buffs via buffing themselves... in this though... I have a trabadour and she really can only do 2 buffs at once if I want other classes to use their own buffs.

tuffy

Untold is probably a little easier to get into since it's a bit more straightforward. There's no weapon forging, overworld, subclasses, or skill tiers. It even offers a story mode with pre-assigned characters to make it very easy to get up and running.

KarmaCow

Untold is probably a little easier to get into since it's a bit more straightforward. There's no weapon forging, overworld, subclasses, or skill tiers. It even offers a story mode with pre-assigned characters to make it very easy to get up and running.

The Grimoire system is oddly clumsy in comparison to how everything is streamlined though.

vall03

Woah! Can't believe the posts I missed here yesterday. It looks like Scy is active too. Just going to finish breakfast and I'll play the game for the whole day, I was midway through B9F when I stopped the other day.. hehe

scy

I don't get how it's "clumsy." I kinda dig it now that I fully grok it, and it seems pretty straightforward in terms of synthesis.

My personal take on it is that it's rather awkward in how it works compared to the rest of the game. That is, how Grimoire Chance occurs, how the skills you get are determined, etc. Compare that to how they streamlined much of the rest of the game and it just seems weird vs how the skill trees operate now, how the skills/classes are balanced, how the exploration is, how the encounter design is, etc.

Basically, a lot of the game had the tedium cut from it. Except for this new system they added that is just a lot of randomness and tedium :x

Also, the menu for it could definitely be improved upon. Trying to synthesize stuff that is currently equipped just takes a lot more time than it feels like it should.

slayn

I just tried changing Simon into a troubador and echoing rondo plus the final Rosa buff is uhh... Well its something alright. How does your entire party being healed every time anyone in your party attacks sound to you? And without taking up anyone's action? Because it seems hilariously broken to me. Simon you have found your true class calling.

Edit: after more testing I am confused. Echoing says it only procs once per turn and sometimes that seems true but against a foe i just now watched it proc on everyone 3 times in one round. Maybe I ran into a bug or something.

Can someone explain how the warping to the end of a floor works? Do I need to have mapped and drawn a whole floor? Or do I just need to place the stairs icon? Backtracking us really annoying.

spiritfox

Can someone explain how the warping to the end of a floor works? Do I need to have mapped and drawn a whole floor? Or do I just need to place the stairs icon? Backtracking us really annoying.

You have to have found the stairs down and mapped most of the floor.

scy

There's nothing that indicates it as far as I can tell. Just when you use the stairs you'll get a message about it. Generally speaking, you just need to map most of the route between the entrance stairs and the exit.

Extra sets of stairs on the same floor seem to have their own check for the Floor Jump. Like, if a floor has you come back from a later floor, the stairs for that section determine Floor Jump, not the rest of the floor.

ohlawd

yup if you're on a set of stairs that isn't the main one of that floor, it got its own section of mapping to worry about. Somtimes you can just go down/up then immediately go up/down to activate the jump cuz you've done the mapping already.

Got to 3rd Stratum but still haven't finished Petaloid quest from the 2nd Stratum, can someone tell me the coordinates? :3

Top Bottom