• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

cjkeats

I'm in Gladsheim up near A2 and B3 and I can;t fgure out how to get past the FOEs here.
Any ideas or am I supposed to try and take them on?

Anteo

Nope. Just tried. lol

Party level 13-14 here on classic/expert. I think I have an idea how to beat him but couldnt the first time.
He outdamages my heals and is really tanky.
Result: Tank down, Healer on the back row down in the same turn. Had to run. around 20% hp left, but could not kill it in time.

Atk/def stat ups don't seem to show up in the status screen, and I could barely tell if a difference in battle. :/

Will probably stick to standard.

Anteo

I think I have an idea to go through the early game without a healer, and I kind of want to reset my game to try it >.<

Kazerei

Banned
I'm in Gladsheim up near A2 and B3 and I can;t fgure out how to get past the FOEs here.
Any ideas or am I supposed to try and take them on?

Keep the lights off so they sleep. You might have to turn the lights on and move back and forth until the FOE on the left isn't in the way.

ohlawd

guyz I'm really worried. Can I beat this game before the 11th, 9 PM PST?

oh god oh man oh god oh man. I think I'm going too slow. I'm almost done B7F :/

And someone tell me to gtfo GAF so I can start playing again.

Anteo

Fuck it, I'm going to restart the game without a medic on expert. I think it will be fun. Or stupid. lets see

Ferrio

Banned
So looks like grimoire stones dont't stack if you have the same skill, even if it's passive. That sucks.

Fuck it, I'm going to restart the game without a medic on expert. I think it will be fun. Or stupid. lets see

Good luck.. I tried. Even if you have one you'll be getting 1 shotted constantly unless you're packing a tank.

scy

Unless Classic raises their damage output, nothing should be even approaching one-shot status in the first Stratum.

And, honestly, you'll probably want a tank just due to all the line-target skills that you'll face early on. Alternatively, a DH for Binds (since they're super reliable now) since those easily shut out a lot of damage options in very obvious ways. Like, you can take out every FoE with just some smart bind use. That's really the easiest part of Story so far: Triple Bind options from Gunner + Head Bind from Highlander.

Anteo

My Ronin has been one shoted by the monkey. The back row by the stone pigs.
The ronin has some heals and I was thinking about going with the hexer, but yeah dark hunter are very reiable

Ferrio

Banned
So far i'm not very impressed with the classes in this compared to EOIV. Most of skills aren't very interesting. Lack of subclassing blows too.

So far i'm not very impressed with the classes in this compared to EOIV. Most of skills aren't very interesting. Lack of subclassing blows too.

It's a pretty faithful remake of the first game, it was amazing back then(still is for me). I recommend you to check out III if you haven't, it has the best classes the series has seen imo.

I do like subclassing more than the Grimoire system.

Ferrio

Banned
It's a pretty faithful remake of the first game, it was amazing back then(still is for me). I recommend you to check out III if you haven't, it has the best classes the series has seen imo.

I do like subclassing more than the Grimoire system.

Bought.

And Ya i'm really not liking the grimoire system. It's really cumbersome. To really get the best use outta it you gotta get really lucky, otherwise most the cross skills you get are pretty useless. Only cool thing I could think is you stock up on a bunch of grimoires that have the skills for your classes. Then when you rest you don' thave to invest in those skills again since they're on the grimoire. Just wish they stacked but capped out at 10 to keep it sane.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Agreed, I'm not loving grimoires. Since this was a remake of a game that didn't have sub-classing I don't mind them experimenting with a new idea, but if there is an EO5 I hope subclassing makes its return. It was nice getting a grimoire with level 10 scavenge on it last night though.

The boss of the 2nd stratum actually took me a few tries on expert at level 29. It's been so long since I played EO1 that I've forgotten all the bosses and so was caught off guard by the boss's
Counter move on turn 5. And on the first and second runs I fucked myself by casting delayed charge in such a way that it would proc on exactly that turn and murder me.

edit: and good luck to anyone playing classic expert without a medic. It actually seems like it would be reasonable to do with a highlander, protector, and gunner except... you can't use a highlander and gunner.

Anteo

I always felt 3 was unbalanced in favor of the player. Hey, subclassing is more than twice as strong compared to 4 imo. Also farmers = best class, had one on my front row all the time.

Also, I tried the hexer, does not feel as effective as the DH early so I dropped her. My current party is Land/Ronin/DH and Trou/Surv. Hits pretty fast, I got at least 3 hits before the enemy can move.

Edit: Good luck to me :lol. Dont want the medic/alch/protc since I will play with them in the story mode

turnbuckle

I don't know know how the grimoire stuff works at all. The in-game tutorial was pretty terrible.

But I love auto-mapping can include drawing walls now. Can't overstate how much I love that + fast walking.

Anteo

I don't know know how the grimoire stuff works at all. The in-game tutorial was pretty terrible.

But I love auto-mapping can include drawing walls now. Can't overstate how much I love that + fast walking.

Did you talk to one of the npc at the bar, they explain it much better there than in the mansion.

Or you can read Scy post

Basically, you pick three Grimoire Stones:

1) This one determines how many skill slots the end result will have (as well as what skills).
2) This one determines which skills you want it to inherit in addition to the ones above.
3) This one determines what Equipment Bonus the end result will have.

So, for instance:

A) DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard [Equip: Shield]
B) ATK Up, Viper [Equip: Whip]
C) Whip Mastery [Equip: Whip]

If you went A -> B -> C for the selection, you'd result in a 3-slot Grimoire Stone (due to A being your base) with DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard, ATK Up, and Viper being the skills to choose from (due to A being your base and B being your catalyst), and it would allow you to equip Whips (due to C's Equipment bonus).

If you went B -> C -> A, you'd result in a 2-slot Grimoire Stone, could select from ATK Up, Viper, and Whip Mastery for those slots, and the Equipment Bonus on it would be Shield.

turnbuckle

Did you talk to one of the npc at the bar, they explain it much better there than in the mansion.

Or you can read Scy post

Thanks! And thanks Scy as well. I just started playing last night (well, i started for a minute prior in classic mode, but started in story mode last night). I talked to all the people in the inn but perhaps the conversation was over my head in my tired state.

tuffy

The basics of using them seems pretty straightforward. Equipping one in town adds skills to a character at preset levels and may allow additional weapons to be used. Fusing them together allows one to pack different abilities into a single grimoire. Seems to work a bit like assembling subclasses from parts in practice, with a bit of randomness thrown in since they come from monster drops.

turnbuckle

The basics of using them seems pretty straightforward. Equipping one in town adds skills to a character at preset levels and may allow additional weapons to be used. Fusing them together allows one to pack different abilities into a single grimoire. Seems to work a bit like assembling subclasses from parts in practice, with a bit of randomness thrown in since they come from monster drops.

Yeah, I got the basics of using them. I didn't understand the fusing part.

Scy laid it out perfectly clear for me though. It seems like the best idea when fusing is to make sure your base is always the one with the most skill slots. It's too bad you can't synthesize to stack them, but it adds another layer of grindiness to the game that I've always loved so much about EO.

I think I might like this better than the subclassing. Subclassing always ended up frustrating me because I wanted to maximize my characters and hated making concessions on skills by getting half the bonus of a second job...kind of a silly thing but it really did hang me up sometimes. Especially if I made a mistake and put points where I shouldn't have or points where I didn't mean to, and then I'd have to rest my character and get that experience back to fix my mistake.

We'll see how I feel about the grimoire system, but I like that my skill points on level ups will be more focused. I think. Only time will tell!

I absolutely loved the first game, but this remake is goddamned brilliant so far. I'm only in the second floor but my initial impressions of story mode are very very good so far.

My only gripe, and it's a gripe I've had forever - I wish there was a skill to increase your inventory space. I hate throwing away the spoils of battle even if they're garbage. Ahh well, can't have everything I suppose :p

spiritfox

Fenrir was surprisingly easy. Killed him and his wolves without even using a bomb.

My only gripe, and it's a gripe I've had forever - I wish there was a skill to increase your inventory space. I hate throwing away the spoils of battle even if they're garbage. Ahh well, can't have everything I suppose :p

Alchs get a skill to automatically convert discards to En. Never tried so not sure what's the conversion rate though.

tuffy

I absolutely loved the first game, but this remake is goddamned brilliant so far. I'm only in the second floor but my initial impressions of story mode are very very good so far.
I just hit the third floor and the changes from the original are pretty interesting already. I hadn't expected the FOE twist at the east end of the second floor at all, which was both unnerving and hilarious.
Running out of inventory usually means I'm either carrying too many potions or it's time to go warp back to sell off monster parts. Expanding pack space would be a good quest reward though, like how doing quests could add inn storage space in EOIV.

spiritfox

I just hit the third floor and the changes from the original are pretty interesting already. I hadn't expected the FOE twist at the east end of the second floor at all, which was both unnerving and hilarious.

Running out of inventory usually means I'm either carrying too many potions or it's time to go warp back to sell off monster parts. Expanding pack space would be a good quest reward though, like how doing quests could add inn storage space in EOIV.

I like dodging the Boars. It's like the deadliest tango in the world.

slayn

Oh, and observation/question about gunner. The gunner has an ability that states it gives a chance for their normal attacks to pierce through rows. However, ever since putting a single point in it I've noticed a bunch of times where I'm pretty sure an elemental shot pierced through as well but it always happened when I was speeding through the animations.

Is the game lying, and that passive works on all skills? Some of them? Or am I going crazy?

tuffy

The moment you hear the "foe just noticed you" sound near a boar is soo good. I liked that part where they chained 3 of them
That was very clever. One day I'll go back to that room and clobber them all, but not today. I also liked how they were alluded to earlier in the floor. "What are these boulders for and how should I map them? Ahhh..."

scy

If you really want to cheese the Grimoire system, there's a way to cheat things to "reuse" Grimoires with a lot of slots:
Select the Grimoire with the number of slots you want, hit B and then immediately select a different Grimoire (e.g., Up+A, Down+A, Left/Right+A). You'll end up selecting the second Grimoire to use but the game will still have the slots from the first one you had selected. Now you can go choose which Grimoire you want to inherit skills from and then which Grimoire to get your Equipment Bonus from

As for how the system itself stacks up, I don't mind it since EO1 isn't really balanced for subclassing to begin with. Grimoires promote focused builds since the level of the skills correlate to the level the user has them at. This kind of makes them useless for probably the first two, maybe three, Stratum though since you generally don't have many high level skills early on.

I think some of the fluff around the system could be cut down and make it a little less Random somehow. Maybe I'll change my mind late game but I'm near the 3rd Stratum and I don't really get that many Grimoire Chances in general.

Though, I do have a lot of Mine/Take/Chop ones, I guess. Nothing I've gotten outside of ones from Chests have really been useful thus far.

Oh, and observation/question about gunner. The gunner has an ability that states it gives a chance for their normal attacks to pierce through rows. However, ever since putting a single point in it I've noticed a bunch of times where I'm pretty sure an elemental shot pierced through as well but it always happened when I was speeding through the animations.

Is the game lying, and that passive works on all skills? Some of them? Or am I going crazy?

I'm pretty sure you're right and Penetrator works on skills as well. I've had a lot of pierces when using her Elemental Bullets. Don't think I've seen it work off of Ricochet, however.

Edit: If I had to guess, it might just be single-target ones.

turnbuckle

Ha, I never carry medicas/bravants/oils or any of that stuff. Though I hate throwing the higher leveled versions of those away so I stick them in storage. The only items I bring with me on my runs are a single nectar and usually 2 ariadne threads (to act as sort of security in case I forget to buy one after using the first one)

scy

You just get so much damn loot. A problem with the revamped drop rates (/drops in general) coupled with the 5 Floors per Stratum setup is that your inventory space goes by a lot faster. I suppose Floor Jump basically negates that as an issue but then it feels like I'm wasting Rosa's TP Regen w/ +EXP buff when I have to leave despite everyone being full everything but I ran out of space forever ago.

Maybe I should invest in that one Alchemist skill :/

slayn

I'm pretty sure you're right and Penetrator works on skills as well. I've had a lot of pierces when using her Elemental Bullets. Don't think I've seen it work off of Ricochet, however.

Edit: If I had to guess, it might just be single-target ones.

Dare I hope double attack works the same way? I'm too far away from it in the skill try to try it easily.

edit: japanese wiki suggests no :(

Anteo

Before reseting, I had found like 20 stones in total (I was on B4F), got like 4-5 full party grimore chances. Then again not all of them were usefull.

scy

Before reseting, I had found like 20 stones in total (I was on B4F), got like 4-5 full party grimore chances. Then again not all of them were usefull.

Well, everything I know about the system so far is this:

The Game prioritizes skills as Enemy Skill > Active Skills > Passive Skills. It runs the following checks:

1) Did an Enemy use a Learnable Skill that turn? If yes, prioritizes the Enemy Skill on the resulting Grimoire Stone.

2) What Active Skills you currently know.

3) What Passive Skills you currently know.*

4) What level those skills are.

So the resulting stone will follow Enemy Skill > Active Skill > Passive Skill and the skills are limited to 10 OR whatever your skill level is, whichever is lower. If you have the Good Effect from Rosa's cordials that "doubles" the Grimoire Levels, it adds +2 to the skill but still cannot exceed 10. No, I don't know why it says doubles.

This is why I mentioned that it really promotes focused builds since you can control things a bit by limiting the number of skills you have so you have a greater chance of getting the ones you want. For instance, if you really wanted to get ATK Up 10/10, you'd respec a character and learn ONLY ATK Up. This way, you'll get either the Enemy Skill or ATK Up from the Grimoire Chance.

Besides this, the chance of Grimoire Chance (...) goes up as enemy relative strength goes up. Basically, you're rewarded for fighting harder enemies with more Grimoire Chances. If you're trying to farm Grimoire Stones, just focus on killing FoEs.

Not that far into the game (still need to finish the 2nd Stratum) but that's so far everything I've noted about them. There's probably some other nuances like I don't know if the level of the Grimoire Stone is random (that is, if you have ATK Up 10/10 you can get ATK Up 1 - 10) or if there's something to it there. Don't think there's any other way to force inheritance besides limiting skill selection.

*Now that I type this out, I don't know if there's a separate "What Passive skills do you know?" check and it may just be a weighted single-check. Like, it just checks what skills you know with an Active > Passive preference.

slayn

Fighting golden enemies also dramatically increases grimoire chance. So much so that I think the rosa buff that increases rare enemy chance would provide more stones than any of the buffs that impact grimoire stones directly.

Anteo

Speaking of golden enemies, yesterday I had a regular enemy purple rat on the first floor try to escape (and it was succesful) I though only rare breeds tried to ran away. My party was like level 4

scy

Fighting golden enemies also dramatically increases grimoire chance. So much so that I think the rosa buff that increases rare enemy chance would provide more stones than any of the buffs that impact grimoire stones directly.

I'd say the ones that increase the chance of Grimoire Chance (...seriously, that's so awkward to say) would be the best if you're just set on killing FoEs. That's probably ideal anyway if you're after some of the better Enemy Skills.

If you're just running around trying to map stuff out or want drops or something else that necessitates many smaller fights then +Rare Breeds might come out ahead. I'd just think that focusing on FoEs makes the most sense for farming stones.

Rubius

still to soon...
beat the original EO this january for the first time
probably the hardest game I ever beat.

gonna sit this one out for a few years

I felt that EO was pretty easy after the 7 or 8th floor. The minute you get heals and debuff going, it's easy. I died one time on the last boss because I forgot to heal properly.
In the last levels I was not even avoiding F.O.E anymore.

KarmaCow

I haven't really put much time into this, Monster Hunter has been my TV game and Picross has been my bus game but I feel uneasy about Floor Jump. I've been avoiding using it, going through each floor to get the bottom on each stratum, not using it to escape FOEs or other dicey situations and so on. While those extra battles have been a strain on my resources sometimes, it feels like the bigger effect is that is makes the game easier due to more EXP, money and grimoire stones. I'm not sure what to do, I like the tense moments of things going south and having to limp back to the exit but I don't want to indirectly grind either.

Is this just in my head?

scy

I haven't really put much time into this, Monster Hunter has been my TV game and Picross has been my bus game but I feel uneasy about Floor Jump. I've been avoiding using it, going through each floor to get the bottom on each stratum, not using it to escape FOEs or other dicey situations and so on.

You can't use it to escape bad situations on floors you haven't unlocked Floor Jump on. It really just cuts down on backtracking.

Anteo

I haven't really put much time into this, Monster Hunter has been my TV game and Picross has been my bus game but I feel uneasy about Floor Jump. I've been avoiding using it, going through each floor to get the bottom on each stratum, not using it to escape FOEs or other dicey situations and so on. While those extra battles have been a strain on my resources sometimes, it feels like the bigger effect is that is makes the game easier due to more EXP, money and grimoire stones. I'm not sure what to do, I like the tense moments of things going south and having to limp back to the exit but I don't want to indirectly grind either.

Is this just in my head?

I feel the same too, the extra exp you get by walking down helps with to make the party level up a bit, making it easier to deal with the new monsters, I know it helped me against the white monkey that could oneshot one of my front row. I whish the jump was more restricted, like you can only do it if your party is at full health or something.

You can't use it to escape bad situations on floors you haven't unlocked Floor Jump on. It really just cuts down on backtracking.

Depends on the situation, I know it would have been useful for my farming party to just go around teleporting in the second floor to get faster to the take point in the far east and not having to deal with the deer near the fist one. But they would level up much slower (or nothing at all).

KarmaCow

Well for example, on the Floor 3 with the Stalkers, there are chests and quests to get to certain areas. You can use an Ariadne Thread to just rush it with no exit strategy but that's also 100en or you can just Floor Jump out for free.

Floors are usually set up with enough shortcuts that the entrance isn't too far unless things really went bad and only one party member is up or you back yourself into a corner.

Top Bottom