• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

Kazerei

Banned
B10F boss is giving me a hard time ... on normal. It was going well until he summoned two healers to the back line. No fair :(

epmode

So what's the closest difficulty to EO4's Standard? I was going to pick Standard in EO Untold but seeing that you get revived if you're wiped out threw me for a loop.

vall03

that's just sad. I don't see why anyone would play that, I'm fine with there being an Expert/Normal mode.

I'm currently playing on Picnic... :(

So what's the closest difficulty to EO4's Standard? I was going to pick Standard in EO Untold but seeing that you get revived if you're wiped out threw me for a loop.

People are saying Expert is the real difficulty, though I've read people say that playing Expert early in the game is kinda unbalanced. Not sure with this though.

Eusis

I'm planning to run with expert, but it IS disappointing that what I was fearing with EO4 may've happened here (that the middle ground gets squandered in favor of either really high difficulty or being a complete joke.) Especially as Picnic really does sound like the "I'm playing this game for Story because I'm crazy!" option.

scy

Expert feels like what I'd expect from Normal, to be honest. Doesn't really seem to be anything close to a "Hard" mode.

Anteo

I'm currently playing on Picnic... :(

People are saying Expert is the real difficulty, though I've read people say that playing Expert early in the game is kinda unbalanced. Not sure with this though.

I dont know, early in the game the % difference in damage going from normal to expert should only make the battles one turn longer, two tops. I'm worried about later in the game, or rather, these long boss battles

knkng

I feel the same, but I've noticed that I never get sick of Etrian Odyssey.

Had a day off today, and according to my 3DS I was playing for 10.5 hours...yeesh. There's something about drawing my own map that keeps me glued to these games for some reason. If the maps were already complete and I was just wandering around the dungeon I don't think I'd care quite as much. It's weird.

Been playing story mode on normal difficulty, and it's definitely a bit easier than your typical Etrian Odyssey game. But that might also be because I'm abusing the fast travel by constantly returning to the town to heal/upgrade and then going immediately back to where I left off (more or less). I don't mind though, it's still better than walking my ass through multiple levels just so I can empty my inventory.

Ferrio

Banned
I dont know, early in the game the % difference in damage going from normal to expert should only make the battles one turn longer, two tops. I'm worried about later in the game, or rather, these long boss battles

Think it matters what mode your playing too. Classic expert is brutal with my party config... probably be alot easier in story or if i rolled with a more standard party.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of buying this, but the Digital Version is too dam gimp compared to the retail one. Yet, the retail version is very hard to find here. What should I do, GAF?

Eusis

I'm thinking of buying this, but the Digital Version is too dam gimp compared to the retail one. Yet, the retail version is very hard to find here. What should I do, GAF?
Online ordering? Though it's worth keeping in mind the booklet IS small, the music CD only has 6 tracks, and there's no manual though there's a club Nintendo code that gets you nothing but EOU showing up on your list of registered products.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Online ordering? Though it's worth keeping in mind the booklet IS small, the music CD only has 6 tracks, and there's no manual though there's a club Nintendo code that gets you nothing but EOU showing up on your list of registered products.

Shipping + Importing fees > $100.

Hyoukokun

Bit of a dumb question, but... has anyone figured out how to finish the woodflies quest on B2F? Am I wrong in thinking that the 'herb gathering spot' is one of the gather points? I sat there fighting woodflies (and other monsters) for an entire in-game day but didn't see any sign of progress on the quest.

ohlawd

Atlus pretty much destroys everyone else when it comes to retail releases. I'd never go digital-only with them.

But just buy it on the eShop. You'll miss out on cheerleader Raquna and super tan Ricky but that's better than missing out on a great game.

---

^ Try A-6.

Kazerei

Banned
Bit of a dumb question, but... has anyone figured out how to finish the woodflies quest on B2F? Am I wrong in thinking that the 'herb gathering spot' is one of the gather points? I sat there fighting woodflies (and other monsters) for an entire in-game day but didn't see any sign of progress on the quest.

It's not one of the gather points, it's just a spot near the stairs to B3F. When you're on it, you'll be able to press A to examine.

cjkeats

a club Nintendo code that gets you nothing but EOU showing up on your list of registered products.
That's fixed now, if you go look there's a survey there for the coins.

Go digital. Like was already said, you ain't missing much with the book other than than lines and the CD is super short. Almost worth it for the opening track alone, but I still say digital is your best bet to save some cash.

Depending on how deep the narrative actually gets, Raquna might make a short list of best RPG characters ever.

Soooooo gooooood.

I suppose some deep searching would give up an answer, but is she Canadian in the Japanese release as well? Or is this a case of her having an Osaka accent/other Japanese regional dialect that was adapted for the English release.

Ferrio

Banned
How the hell does Grimoire synthesis work. Can't figure it out.

I get you use 3 grimoires, one of them is a catalyst. I'm guessing it allows you to pick and choose skills from grimoires, but everytime I do it i destroy 2 grimoires and get one of my originals back with no changes.

scy

Basically, you pick three Grimoire Stones:

1) This one determines how many skill slots the end result will have (as well as what skills).
2) This one determines which skills you want it to inherit in addition to the ones above.
3) This one determines what Equipment Bonus the end result will have.

So, for instance:

A) DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard [Equip: Shield]
B) ATK Up, Viper [Equip: Whip]
C) Whip Mastery [Equip: Whip]

If you went A -> B -> C for the selection, you'd result in a 3-slot Grimoire Stone (due to A being your base) with DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard, ATK Up, and Viper being the skills to choose from (due to A being your base and B being your catalyst), and it would allow you to equip Whips (due to C's Equipment bonus).

If you went B -> C -> A, you'd result in a 2-slot Grimoire Stone, could select from ATK Up, Viper, and Whip Mastery for those slots, and the Equipment Bonus on it would be Shield.

Eusis

Shipping + Importing fees > $100.
Ouch. Screw it, in your situation I'd just do digital and call it a day, at most give it a week to see if it shows up and if not DD.
That's fixed now, if you go look there's a survey there for the coins.
Huh, and here I was thinking my best hope was for a post play survey to at least squeeze 10 coins out. Well, filled it out.

cjkeats

Beat Fenrir and made it to the second stratum. Took two tries to take him down. Got swarmed by other FOEs the first time, second time I came prepared.

Also thanks for the explanation on Grimoire Stones scy, it makes more sense now.

Ferrio

Banned

1) This one determines how many skill slots the end result will have (as well as what skills).
2) This one determines which skills you want it to inherit in addition to the ones above.

Ah thanks, the slots part was the thing tripping me up.

There's a section in the digital manual about it. (#14)
It's not really even necessary to synthesise; only if you want to add more skills onto a stone - you should take a stone with several skills as the base. I noticed up and down arrows for improving a certain skill, too. They put a lot of thought into the Grimoire system, and it shows.

Ferrio

Banned
Guessing having a grimoire stone with skills you already have doesn't increase it? Say you can't have 15 points in a skill?

I was wondering about that myself, like for example, a Stat Up skill. Might have to try that and see if they stack. But yeah, I guess beast skills are the grimoires that you might want to try for...

tuffy

I don't know whether they've adjusted the difficulty or if I've gotten better, but normal difficulty is going a lot smoother than the original game. I've only lost a single character to a mole ambush and that was at level 1.

My RDPAM party has been working well so far and I'm hopeful a nice mix of physical damage, elemental damage and binds will carry me through the main game. Though I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have to rest characters to reallocate all the skill points I'm messing up right now.

tuffy

Anyone order from Amazon? Doesn't say anything about the Untold, Unseen, Unheard in the description.
I did. And although "guaranteed release date delivery" didn't work out, it did come with the bonus disc like all the first-press copies should have.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Guessing having a grimoire stone with skills you already have doesn't increase it? Say you can't have 15 points in a skill?
Unsure about passives, but for active skills it seems kind of buggy. My highlander has his basic attack skill at level 1, and also has a grimoire stone with the same skill at level 4 or so.

When I open up my skill list in combat, the skill appears twice. Once near the top which is my level 1 version of the skill, and then at the bottom of the list in blue which is the grimoire version. The buggy part though, is that the TP cost of the grimoire version of the skill changes at random on me. Sometime it is what it should be for its level of skill from the grimoire and sometimes the TP cost is the level 1 cost as if it were pulling some information from my version of the skill instead of the grimoire's.

I hadn't yet tried any testing to see if casting the low TP high level bugged skill does level 1 damage or level 4 damage though.

Kazerei

Banned

So, for instance:

A) DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard [Equip: Shield]
B) ATK Up, Viper [Equip: Whip]
C) Whip Mastery [Equip: Whip]

If you went A -> B -> C for the selection, you'd result in a 3-slot Grimoire Stone (due to A being your base) with DEF Up, Fortify, Front Guard, ATK Up, and Viper being the skills to choose from (due to A being your base and B being your catalyst), and it would allow you to equip Whips (due to C's Equipment bonus).

If you went B -> C -> A, you'd result in a 2-slot Grimoire Stone, could select from ATK Up, Viper, and Whip Mastery for those slots, and the Equipment Bonus on it would be Shield.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I figured out (1) sets the number of skills, but couldn't figure out what (3) did.

Anteo

Come on guys, you should check the pub for info with the npcs, they explain the grimore system there .

I still dont like fast travel. But is a godsend when using the farming party. Except that the farming party gets almost not exp and they really need exp to go deeper to farm

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh lol. I decided as a hardcore EO fan...that I had to skip this. Afterall, there's Wind Waker and Pokemon coming out soon. Plus I am playing GTAV and FFXIV, and DIII so....eh.

But yeah...I folded like a cheap deck of cards. Woe is me!

tuffy

After looking into it a bit more, it seems "Expert" corresponds to the difficulty of the original game and the "Normal" and "Picnic" settings are easier. That would explain why I'm not running back to down as much this time around.

I like the updated soundtrack though. Maybe I'll switch to "Expert/Chiptune" for New Game+, but I'm sticking with "Normal/Remixed" the first time through.

Ferrio

Banned
After looking into it a bit more, it seems "Expert" corresponds to the difficulty of the original game and the "Normal" and "Picnic" settings are easier. That would explain why I'm not running back to down as much this time around.

I like the updated soundtrack though. Maybe I'll switch to "Expert/Chiptune" for New Game+, but I'm sticking with "Normal/Remixed" the first time through.

Not sure how I'd go through expert. On classic I get one shotted by everything when I switch it to expert. So far normal is a bit on the easy time (even with my non optimal party) but I haven't fought the strat 1 boss yes... so I'm hoping it gives a challenge.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So I miss out two classes on Classic mode if I start with it. Anyway, the two unlockable classes from the story, are locked characters right? Like I can't make a customizable Highlander?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
EO1 required much more specific party builds and it was only in later games that it became more open. So while expert in this is probably equivalent to EO1 normal, everyone just used a medic. Both because the medic's healing was mandatory and the medic's immunize skill basically read, "Take barely any damage from anything for 3 rounds."

So I miss out two classes on Classic mode if I start with it. Anyway, the two unlockable classes from the story, are locked characters right? Like I can't make a customizable Highlander?
You customize his skills and grimoire stones, just not his picture.

tuffy

Not sure how I'd go through expert. On classic I get one shotted by everything when I switch it to expert. So far normal is a bit on the easy time (even with my non optimal party) but I haven't fought the strat 1 boss yes... so I'm hoping it gives a challenge.
Apparently it still has the same difficulty spikes for new strata like the original so there's bound to be enough challenge along the way. But I'm glad I'm not getting wiped by moles in the early going, at least. I'll save "expert" for a retired team of new recruits.

turnbuckle

I'm still using my launch* 3DS.

I'm hoping that by the time I do a quick run of Story mode first, there will be a list of all the Story mode exclusive items/enemies/chests/stuff so I can get them before NG+'ing into Classic mode.

*That's been "repaired" multiple times.

Oh, I didn't realize you could do that. I guess I'll start in story mode as well.

This game isn't *that* old, but I set the game to the original BGM and had instant waves of nostalgia hit me. Pretty cool since it's a game that itself gave me some bit of nostalgia for old school RPGs.

The rearranged music I've heard is very nice, but I can't help but go back to the FM soundtrack.

Top Bottom