• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

Anteo

Im loving my party. Its actually better than my old one. I hit a day night transition on the forest and can still go a little more, so awesome

Ferrio

Banned
Had a quest to go fight a monster past one of the white doors that eventually took you to 3F. It crushed me... holy hell.... 200 damage per hit.

spiritfox

2nd Stratum boss down! I had to kill him 3 times cause he kept killing one of my party members on the last turn, and I abhor uneven EXP bars.

Abhor, I say.

GeekyDad

2nd Stratum boss down! I had to kill him 3 times cause he kept killing one of my party members on the last turn, and I abhor uneven EXP bars.

Abhor, I say.

Wow, the rest of this game should drive you completely insane, then. Good luck with all that, madman. :p

vall03

Ugh, I can't count how many times I had to rest and go back to the 3rd Stratum Chop points for a quest. Fuck this shit! I'll continue on my exploration then! Exp is also so plentiful in the game I feel like I'm going to hit the max level soon.

ohlawd

Defend as in the command Defend? Or Defender?

Anyway, Provoke -> Fortify -> Parry (if you're expecting one/two/three hits, depending on Parry rank) or Front Guard (if you're expecting Line damage and want to protect others).

Yup, command Defend. I haven't put any points into Defender. Guess I have to put some points into Parry and Front Guard.

I was playing Classic and I just erased my save file to play Story first. You guys are pretty fast, I'm in mid terms and I haven't been able to fully dive into this game.

yess come to the dark side. We have Raquna and Ricky.

I'll have you know I've changed my stance on Ricky. She's so adorable like this one time I told her I was jealous of her concern for Simon and she went all "H-Hey it's not like I d-don't care about you... I just thought you'd be OK on your own!"

Oh and her being a freaking beast in battle helps out a lot.

scy

Wow, the rest of this game should drive you completely insane, then. Good luck with all that, madman. :p

I was half-dozing off during some part of the 3rd Stratum and just auto-battling my way through stuff.

About 5 fights in, I realized only two people were alive.

;___; oops

Yup, command Defend. I haven't put any points into Defender. Guess I have to put some points into Parry and Front Guard.

Defender -> Provoke + Fortify + Parry/Front Guard is my normal Raquna rotation. Defender is still good at -25% Damage Taken and helps for attacks that get through Provoke.

Edit: That is, for FoE/Bosses. Regular encounters is usually just Provoke or Parry or auto-battle.

On that note, I still want to figure out how Provoke works as I'm still currently just assuming it's the same as prior games where it just tacks on an extra Random roll for priority.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Had a quest to go fight a monster past one of the white doors that eventually took you to 3F. It crushed me... holy hell.... 200 damage per hit.
Yeah I only just beat him at level 48. You aren't intended to beat him when you first get the quest.

ohlawd

Defender sounds good. Both Guards need some points before I can get it, though.

And I can't find freaking Dragonflies. I encountered them tons and now when I need them, they don't show up. What floors are they on? Should be 13F and 14F, right?

Freaking Mandrakes or whatever they're called aren't giving me their Pure Roots as well.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm working on B13F and I find Dragonflies mostly on the bottom half of the map.

A little while ago I tried to fight the special FOE on B3F and got my butt kicked. Is my strategy just terrible, or is it still too early? My team is level 36 right now.

ohlawd

I'm working on B13F and I find Dragonflies mostly on the bottom half of the map.

Thanks. I'll try this out in a bit. I've been fighting on the upper half of B13F since that's where the spring is.

Wow I would totally let Cruella and Diabolix tie me up and whip me to high heaven :3

edit: managed to sneak up on a Cruella on her side. She's even got a decent butt.

Love you, Atlus.

Oh man, I can finally change Raquna and Simon's classes.... I have no idea what I should change them to. Anyone have any suggestions? Was hoping to continue my, kill them before they kill me, strategy from EO4, but I'm not sure what class make-up would do that. :v

ohlawd

Will do! Although my map is already a huge mess trying to mark every flower :S
lol that's the only floor where I've used that flower icon on the second page. My map looks nice with the blue water and the pink flowers.

I didn't bother mapping out what direction the flowers go to since they float straight across from where you take it.

another edit: Rather crude way of beating the main boss of B20F. Can't say I'm proud of how I did it. Interested in how you guys tackled or will approach the thing.

This is my first EO and I've been playing this game yesterday. I must say, this game is fun.

Does anyone use Raquna to attack or do you only use her to defend?

slayn

Oh man, I can finally change Raquna and Simon's classes.... I have no idea what I should change them to. Anyone have any suggestions? Was hoping to continue my, kill them before they kill me, strategy from EO4, but I'm not sure what class make-up would do that. :v
I changed Simon into a troubador and feel it is perfect for him. Full party offensive buff, excellent healing, and increased xp gain has served me well so far.

vall03

holy shit 5th Stratum. Holee to teh shiet.

wowowowow even the stairs. This is amazeballs.

Just wait till you see the 6th Stratum. Its even more amazing in a different way. Assuming they didn't do a major overhaul of the floors ;)

Also, I'm slow.... I just reached 4th Stratum and theres more quests to do. I'm now thinking of skipping them altogether.

Ferrio

Banned
Subboss on 3rd strat down.

Also when do we get a new guildkeeper? I'm tired of hearing "Grimoire stones......yes?"

slayn

Subboss on 3rd strat down.

Also when do we get a new guildkeeper? I'm tired of hearing "Grimoire stones......yes?"
I have 3 so far. The 3rd was automatic after stratum 4 but the 2nd came from doing side quests with a recurring character. Also when you get more than one I suggest changing to them because I suspect only the 'active' guildkeeper levels up.

Anteo

This is my first EO and I've been playing this game yesterday. I must say, this game is fun.

Does anyone use Raquna to attack or do you only use her to defend?

Depends on the situation really, if the fight allows it I send my tank to attack, otherwise block everything!! Better to not attack and make other survive than to my main attackers to die.

holy shit 5th Stratum. Holee to teh shiet.

wowowowow even the stairs. This is amazeballs.

Well I was waiting for this. GOTY?

tuffy

GAF i want to get into this series.

Which i purchase first? Etrian Odyssey 4 or Millenium Girl?
I expect Millennium Girl would be a little easier to start with since it has less complexity that was added to the series over time. There's no weapon forging, or skill tiers, or subclasses, or overworld. It even offers a story mode with prebuilt party to get you up and running right away.

Then if you like it, move on to EOIV. That won't have the complex Grimoire system which is new to EO:U, but it should feel both new and familiar since it's based on the same engine.

Anteo

Any is good really. Try both demos on the eshop, the savedata can be carried over to the main game. EO4 demo is classic EO while MG is story mode only for the demo (but you can play either story or classic in the main game)

EO4:
Better Skillsets imo
Has subclassing (need to spend your skillpoints so you may end giving up more skills)
Has an overworld, but floors are smaller (makes going to the last visited floor easier).
Classic mode Only.

MG/EO1-Remake
Skillset is not as good
Grimore system replaces subclasing (no need to spend skillpoints, but it's kind of random)
No overworld, floors are bigger from the beginning (skip system put on top to make traveling easier, but it feels unbalanced/made at the last moment).
Classic and Story mode. (Story mode is a first for the series. Dont think is coming back for the EO5 but probably for Untold2/remake of eo2)

slayn

Millenium Girl is probably a lot easier to get into, but I think EO4 is a significantly better game. I would only get Millenium Girl if you are interested in the story mode. If you just want exploration and battles and dungeon crawling, I would go EO4.

butman

Millenium Girl is probably a lot easier to get into, but I think EO4 is a significantly better game. I would only get Millenium Girl if you are interested in the story mode. If you just want exploration and battles and dungeon crawling, I would go EO4.

Any is good really. Try both demos on the eshop, the savedata can be carried over to the main game. EO4 demo is classic EO while MG is story mode only for the demo (but you can play either story or classic in the main game)

EO4:
Better Skillsets imo
Has subclassing (need to spend your skillpoints so you may end giving up more skills)
Has an overworld, but floors are smaller (makes going to the last visited floor easier).
Classic mode Only.

MG/EO1-Remake
Skillset is not as good
Grimore system replaces subclasing (no need to spend skillpoints, but it's kind of random)
No overworld, floors are bigger from the beginning (skip system put on top to make traveling easier, but it feels unbalanced/made at the last moment).
Classic and Story mode. (Story mode is a first for the series. Dont think is coming back for the EO5 but probably for Untold2/remake of eo2)

I expect Millennium Girl would be a little easier to start with since it has less complexity that was added to the series over time. There's no weapon forging, or skill tiers, or subclasses, or overworld. It even offers a story mode with prebuilt party to get you up and running right away.

Then if you like it, move on to EOIV. That won't have the complex Grimoire system which is new to EO:U, but it should feel both new and familiar since it's based on the same engine.

Mmmm i love RPGs, and i want get into the Dungeon Crawler genre, so i think that i prefer to get into the game system than the story. A friendly one.
So maybe like you guys said, in this case it's better to star with EO IV maybe?

Or maybe i'm wrong and this is not even the game series to start with the genre.

tuffy

Mmmm i love RPGs, and i want get into the Dungeon Crawler genre, so i think that i prefer to get into the game system than the story. A friendly one.

Or maybe i'm wrong and this is not even the game series to start with the genre.
Millennium Girl also offers a non-story mode right from the start, which is pretty much all game system with the series' usual text-only storyline. So that's certainly an option.

But there's nothing wrong with starting with EOIV either. It's also a very accessible game which introduces new concepts at a good pace without being overwhelming.

Either are very good options for getting into the dungeon-crawling genre since they both offer on-the-fly difficulty adjustment in town and minimal penalty for reshuffling your characters' skills in case you decide to try out something new.

Anteo

Or maybe you can go with EOIII =P. Best classes, classic gameplay with story branches and multiple endings, subclassing is much more powerful.

But seriously, flip a coin dude, either go with EOIV which is an amazing game but be kind of late to the party, or go with this one in classic mode and enjoy the OT. Both are good.
I'd go with IV, has the most features methinks, Untold is more straightforward in many ways and that could make it easier for a newcomer, but IV isnt hard to get into

All weekend I went back and forth between EOIV or MG and I ended up with..Wind Waker HD.

LOL

I think I am going to grab EOIV since its on sale at GS for like 16 dollars.

I played the shit out of the demo all weekend.

Ferrio

Banned
So my Hexer is starting to pull her weight now. Suicide word is pretty brutal + grimoired skills when she has downtime from debuffing. As of now it's my troubador that isn't doing much in battle. Need to find some good skills to slap on her.

I started with IV and it sucked me in quite quickly. I usually care about stories in rpgs.. but to me the draw of this series it the concentration on gameplay and not on a story that usually falls flat on its face. I suggest going with IV since it'll show you what the series is truely about... Untold story mode won't give you the full experience.

slayn

Anyone gotten or know anything about the king grimoires? Apparently the bosses have a chance to drop special grimoire stones with skills not attainable by any other means. And the chances to get them have to do with the numbers on your guild card like number of steps taken or... something?

Staring at google translated japanese wiki has led me to the following conclusions:
http://www51.atwiki.jp/shinsekaiju_maze/
There are seven of these (first 4 stratum bosses + some of the side bosses)
They are always level 10
They are unique and while related to the boss, are not just pulling from the boss's attacks the way other enemy grimoire stones do. For example, the one you get from the first boss is something like 'Formation of the Wolf.'
They are treated as a 'drop' and do not require a grimoire chance to get.

Getting them requires 'aligning?' the numbers on your guild card such as total en, number of steps walked, and others?

slayn

Just downed the wyvern on expert at level 58. Even nailed a formaldehyde. The drops are quite good.
wyvern spear - 218 attack, +40hp, +40tp and Wyvern mail 70 def, all resist

GeekyDad

All right, after fiddling with the grimoire synthesis for a while, I'll concede it is a bit "clumsy." Mainly, just having to go in and unequip grimoires before being able to synthesize them and not being able to really keep track of what's doing what as you try to combine them. A more straightforward presentation of the process definitely would have been nice. That being said, I still dig it as a mechanic. The ideas are fun. It inspires the kind of noodling you'd do with SMT's fusion.

ohlawd

Well I was waiting for this. GOTY?

Not sure. I'll get back to you on that after beating the main game + postgame.

Here's my GotY list right now
10-3; lol who cares game sux compared to the first two
2; Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
1; Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Could change doe but I doubt it. Look forward to my post in the GAF GotY 2013 thread :3

----

lol well today was my last day of work but I won't say anymore. More time for EOU woohoo.

And guys, wtf is with this 50,000 gold quest. How the hell do I deal with that, man.

ohlawd

yeah all this praise for III. Really gotta play it but probably not now.

Hmm Nov and Dec are looking free now that Tropical Freeze is delayed. I'll start by then and juggle between that and 3D World.

spiritfox

yeah all this praise for III. Really gotta play it but probably not now.

Hmm Nov and Dec are looking free now that Tropical Freeze is delayed. I'll start by then and juggle between that and 3D World.

Yeah you should. Brings the best of the older games with the improvements from the new ones. Subclassing is so broken though.

My order of favorites in this series is IV = II > U = 1 > 3. That's completely arbitrary though, in some ways. IV had the sky world, 2 had the War Magus. 3 was too hard and the Robot class wasn't very good at all. I'm actually having a hard time getting into Untold for some reason, and I haven't even beaten the 1st stratum yet. I'm on the 5th floor though. I'm hoping to get a new original 3DS. Too bad the Aqua Blue is hard to find. I should've bought it on sale. I'm pretty poor though because I don't have a job, and what money I do get goes to pay rent and bills. Yeah, after several 100 hours on the XL, I want to play an original 3DS. Either that or wait for a 2DS...

Anteo

I dont see how 3 is hard, but yeah so many amazing classes and that one I get to play with in my playthrough is the shitty one. The only shitty one.

ohlawd

iunno how I'll handle the old style music with III. Prefer the arranged style in Untold. Only good old music that compares handsomely with new is the 5th Stratum music. Toe-to-toe, both styles are perfect in this place.

In other places, new kicks old's ass to hell and back.

I still feel III > IV, then again III was my first so...
Then that's why it wasn't hard. I didn't find EO 1 hard when I played it, but now that it's been a few years I find it hard to go back to. Also the boat and farming system were weird in 3. I guess i was burnt out on ds games when I played 3 too.

Yeah, that song is really memorable. 3 wasn't bad. Actually 1 was probably my favourite at the time because it was my first. 2 was a good time with the battle system. 3 had me confused about how to build my party. The sexualization was a bit too much for me at the time too. its funny that they have lolis as well as big breasted & scantily clad female characters. I mean, the art in this game is a bit more subdued. I still haven't got that far though, I think the story is going to be good.

I want a new 3DS, the only thing is the touch screen is kind of small on the original system. I do believe the 2DS will be good for EO. I did notice the screen was slightly more pixelated. Might not be a bad thing if you're a retro kind of player.

Top Bottom