• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

Yeah, that song is really memorable. 3 wasn't bad. Actually 1 was probably my favourite at the time because it was my first. 2 was a good time with the battle system. 3 had me confused about how to build my party. The sexualization was a bit too much for me at the time too. its funny that they have lolis as well as big breasted & scantily clad female characters. I mean, the art in this game is a bit more subdued. I still haven't got that far though, I think the story is going to be good.

I want a new 3DS, the only thing is the touch screen is kind of small on the original system. I do believe the 2DS will be good for EO. I did notice the screen was slightly more pixelated. Might not be a bad thing if you're a retro kind of player.

Which characters were sexualized? Also, don't you like the XL? Just Curious.

I haven't been able to play Untold because of College... it's been a crazy month, and now Pokemon and AA5 are so near. -___-

Anteo

Then that's why it wasn't hard. I didn't find EO 1 hard when I played it, but now that it's been a few years I find it hard to go back to. Also the boat and farming system were weird in 3. I guess i was burnt out on ds games when I played 3 too.

The last time I played 3 was last year. it was my 3rd clean playthrough. I remember it being hard at the begining, but really wasnt harder than 4 or untold so far. The lynx teach me what to expect really.

I haven't been able to play Untold because of College... it's been a crazy month, and now Pokemon and AA5 are so near. -___-

A lot of the female characters have boobs man, unlike eo1. And a lot of them are just with a small top or something.
Also, anyone has a screenshot of the ronin and hexer cameo from III, the roning looked really diferent, I want to see it again

Ferrio

Banned
Almost lvl 40... should be enough to rest and put points into things that I know I like... and experiment with some other skills to see how they work.

spiritfox

The last time I played 3 was last year. it was my 3rd clean playthrough. I remember it being hard at the begining, but really wasnt harder than 4 or untold so far. The lynx teach me what to expect really.

A lot of the female characters have boobs man, unlike eo1. And a lot of them are just with a small top or something.
Also, anyone has a screenshot of the ronin and hexer cameo from III, the roning looked really diferent, I want to see it again

3's difficulty lied more with the dungeon design than the enemies. It had some of the craziest traps in the series, and of course, no radar tiles are the worst thing ever.

I always go for the DFC characters so I guess I didn't notice.

Anteo

3's difficulty lied more with the dungeon design than the enemies. It had some of the craziest traps in the series, and of course, no radar tiles are the worst thing ever.

Oh man! I loved those, It was a good way to mix up things, I even enjoyed the ones on the 6th with the spinning tiles
but that's probably in a masochist way lol

Well, mainly the gladiator and the buccaneer. And the arbalist. Most women don't look like that unless they're belly dancers or pop stars.

I like the XL, the screen is less reflective, and the grip is comfy, but i want an original to play with also.

Anyway I didn't play with many of girls, but that party that got posted in the EO:IV thread looks really nice. When I play classic, I might make a few female characters. Not sure yet, lol.

spiritfox

Oh man! I loved those, It was a good way to mix up things, I even enjoyed the ones on the 6th with the spinning tiles
but that's probably in a masochist way lol

Worst. Thing. Ever.

Let's give you a map! Except in these areas full of FOEs and mud tiles! And some spinny tiles to boot! A WHOLE floor of identical spinny rooms!

You're such a masochist. Then again, I completed the 6th stratum too, so I guess I'm one too.

Depends on the situation really, if the fight allows it I send my tank to attack, otherwise block everything!! Better to not attack and make other survive than to my main attackers to die.

I see. Guess I won't be spending points on her attack skills then. Or should I?

My order of favorites in this series is IV = II > U = 1 > 3. That's completely arbitrary though, in some ways. IV had the sky world, 2 had the War Magus. 3 was too hard and the Robot class wasn't very good at all. I'm actually having a hard time getting into Untold for some reason, and I haven't even beaten the 1st stratum yet. I'm on the 5th floor though. I'm hoping to get a new original 3DS. Too bad the Aqua Blue is hard to find. I should've bought it on sale. I'm pretty poor though because I don't have a job, and what money I do get goes to pay rent and bills. Yeah, after several 100 hours on the XL, I want to play an original 3DS. Either that or wait for a 2DS...

3 is easy as pie once you get subclasses. You can get some SERIOUSLY broken combos like Ninja/Gladiator. Bunshin, Evade up, then have that passive skill that does massive damage upon death. People solo the hardest bosses successfully with that set up.

I would not use the sp on attack skills, at least until later in the game.

Thanks for the tip.

By the way, what does the "Lv*" mean? Does it mean that the prerequisite skill must be maxed out in order to unlock the skill? Sorry for the noobish question.

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh was stuck on Floor 14 for a while because I missed a single flower. Was able to narrow down where on the map it must of been to a few places and eventually found it.

Soulhouf

I heard something amazing about the music in this remake.
Is it true that you can switch to the PC88 sound version?

Koshiro has always been amazing with the PC88 sound chip and this is a major argument that will make me buy the game if it's true.

The DS sound version was alright but when I bought the OST back then there were 2 CDs: one for the DS sound version and the other PC88, which is infinitely superior.

tuffy

It does include the original chiptune soundtrack. I'd assumed it was the PC88 one since it's going to be streamed off the cart just like the updated soundtrack, but I haven't yet given them a side-by-side comparison to be sure.

ohlawd

I'm probably the only dude here who likes the new music over the old in Untold. Then again, this is my first EO game with the old style so maybe I ain't used to it. Or that EO1 had bad music to begin with.

edit: hold on, the old music is called chiptune? The heck is a PC88? Are they both the same thing? o.o

tuffy

I'm probably the only dude here who likes the new music over the old in Untold. Then again, this is my first EO game with the old style so maybe I ain't used to it. Or that EO1 had bad music to begin with.

edit: hold on, the old music is called chiptune? The heck is a PC88? Are they both the same thing? o.o
I like them both, so I'm running with the new music for my first playthrough and I'll use the original the next time.

"Chiptune" is a more generic term for synthesized games music, while PC-88 is a particular piece of hardware. The original Etrian Odyssey soundtrack had a disc with the DS quality soundtrack players heard in the game, but also a disc with a PC-88 soundtrack which was also synthesized but sounded better since it came off better audio hardware. Since the 3DS has more space and better audio hardware, I'm assuming it's using the PC-88 version rather than reusing the DS soundtrack.

scy

I see. Guess I won't be spending points on her attack skills then. Or should I?

Just to note, Shield Rush is a fairly nice Physical Damage Debuff (-10% at 1, -20% at 5, -30% at 10). Defender and that mean you're taking around ~50% damage.

3 is easy as pie once you get subclasses. You can get some SERIOUSLY broken combos like Ninja/Gladiator. Bunshin, Evade up, then have that passive skill that does massive damage upon death. People solo the hardest bosses successfully with that set up.

There's a lot of just silly combinations in general. Prince(ss) alone can trivialize every non-boss encounter in the game as well.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Shield rush is my protectors most used skill. Rosa Buff + Prayer means my protector never stops shield rushing in basically all encounters. At some point I rested and now actually don't have defender nor any of the taunt tree. If my protector isn't using elemental walls or shield bashing then they are item bitch or grimoire debuffer.

Soulhouf

It does include the original chiptune soundtrack. I'd assumed it was the PC88 one since it's going to be streamed off the cart just like the updated soundtrack, but I haven't yet given them a side-by-side comparison to be sure.

Great, thanks.

I will order the game at once d=(´▽`)=b

Kazerei

Banned
Is there a trick to getting Hexroots to drop Pure Roots? I've spent almost two days wandering around B17F and only have 1 Pure Root :(

ohlawd

I like them both, so I'm running with the new music for my first playthrough and I'll use the original the next time.

*explanation*

Ahh I get it now, thankies. I've been running just new music for a while now. Don't think I'll ever get back to old music in this game. When I add EOIII into my backlog, It'll be long time before I delve into Untold's Classic Mode and let the old style sink in.

Is there a trick to getting Hexroots to drop Pure Roots? I've spent almost two days wandering around B17F and only have 1 Pure Root :(
naw don't think so. Got some points into Scavenger? Might help.

I've gone and mapped out most of B21-24F. About time I go to B25F. Eek I'm so scurred :x

slayn

Continuing with my king grimoire stuff from before, I have managed to get three of them. If you go look at your guild card, there are 8 integers starting with ventured days. I believe you want to match up the last two digits (maybe only the last digit?) of as many of these as possible. So for example right when I got my last king grimoire I had
Ventured days 266
Enemies hunted 2766
Walked 35866
Total en 1324066

I count the steps to each boss to make sure walked is at that number right as I walk into the boss. I've also used a hunting horn each time. No idea if that helps. And it still takes around 10 resets before each boss has dropped it. The three I've gotten are
Fenrir - wolf pack - raises party physical and elemental attack for one turn
Cernunnos - forest guardian - lowers physical and elemental damage the party receives this turn
Corotrangul - abyssal prayer - lowers the tp cost for all allies this turn
Iwaoropenelep - phoenix wings - all allies act at the start of this turn
Ant queen - queen's mark - all allies act at the end of this turn
Manticore - yggdra vaccine - raises the party's resistance to ailments this turn

Initial impressions are that they are extremely strong. When you get them from the boss, they are always level 10 but later standard grimoire chances can create lower level versions. The grimoire symbol is a crown and confers no equipment bonus.

Anteo

So I dont have to wait till the end of the next stratum to fight the boss of a stratum I just finished? nice!

ohlawd

that King Grimoire shenanigans sounds troublesome.
yo guys the last few hours I kept getting hit with such orgasmic battle music and then topped it off with a super awesome credits song.

6th Stratum is a pain so far. But I'm glad I've got the maingame done before Friday night.

spiritfox

that King Grimoire shenanigans sounds troublesome.
yo guys the last few hours I kept getting hit with such orgasmic battle music and then topped it off with a super awesome credits song.

6th Stratum is a pain so far. But I'm glad I've got the maingame done before Friday night.

Damnit that's crazy fast. I'm still in the 3rd stratum and I got the game earlier >.<

ohlawd

Damnit that's crazy fast. I'm still in the 3rd stratum and I got the game earlier >.<
I'm too scared to look at my Activity Log. Probably subtract 2-3 hours from it due to leaving my 3DS on.

edit: Emerald Grove's music is my song of the year so far. Fits crazy well in a situation where you've run out of hope or whatever but there's still that small tiny chance you can still make it through or you feel all alone but really there's somebody out there ready to lend you their hand.

eff me I'm getting all sentimental.

Just to note, Shield Rush is a fairly nice Physical Damage Debuff (-10% at 1, -20% at 5, -30% at 10). Defender and that mean you're taking around ~50% damage.

More tips. Thanks. :)

The skill choices you have to make is kinda overwhelming me. I almost spend more time reading skill descriptions over and over deciding which to put points on than the play time between level ups. LOL. Still, having a blast with this game.

Anteo

More tips. Thanks. :)

The skill choices you have to make is kinda overwhelming me. I almost spend more time reading skill descriptions over and over deciding which to put points on than the play time between level ups. LOL. Still, having a blast with this game.

Remember you can reset the skills any time at the cost of 2 levels talking to the guildmaster.

vall03

Just finished Story mode, enjoyed it but its far from perfect imo. The final boss fight was a cop-out! Thank god you can fight it the normal way by reloading your save. So far, the story felt like some sort of extension to the original plot of the Classic game, although I can't accurately remember the similarities and differences since its been a long time since I finished EOI.

From a gameplay persective, I'm in for all the new Options they've added which I'd say makes it technically and mechanically the best. The game is also balanced compared to the original game. The Grimoire system, well lets just say its not as game-breaking as Sub-classing, but the overall implementation seems half-baked. I'm not sure about this but getting the skills you need feels so random and somehow based on luck, I barely got any useful Grimoires. I did however got a few good skills but they're not enough.

Overall, I'd say the game is basically EOI with EOIV skin. Gameplay and balance improvements are really worth it imo. The game is a bit on the easy on the easy side. Can't wait to try Expert though.

GeekyDad

Remember you can reset the skills any time at the cost of 2 levels talking to the guildmaster.

Which I'm thinking of doing for a second time. Not thrilled with Arthur's Focus. One lousy TP per turn? No thanks. And I'm suspecting it doesn't get much better the more I level it up.

scy

Which I'm thinking of doing for a second time. Not thrilled with Arthur's Focus. One lousy TP per turn? No thanks. And I'm suspecting it doesn't get much better the more I level it up.

+10 TP/turn when maxed isn't that bad. The cordials really don't cut it after awhile.

slayn

Random thought, one of the most brutal parts of previous EO games was getting blindsided by an enemy party (or even worse a FOE) and getting 1 or more characters killed before you could even move. It was one of the reasons in EO games I always wanted to have the class with the anti-blindside passive if there was one.

But without it in this game, I felt like the number of times I was blindsided was almost none over the entire game. And the few times it happened were not very brutal at all. Is this just me or did they significantly tone it down for this game?

ohlawd

Getting blindsided by King Dragonflies made me lose my shit. Their Rending Fangs always destroyed my Highlander and one random person while leaving Raquna at low health.

Anteo

Random thought, one of the most brutal parts of previous EO games was getting blindsided by an enemy party (or even worse a FOE) and getting 1 or more characters killed before you could even move. It was one of the reasons in EO games I always wanted to have the class with the anti-blindside passive if there was one.

But without it in this game, I felt like the number of times I was blindsided was almost none over the entire game. And the few times it happened were not very brutal at all. Is this just me or did they significantly tone it down for this game?

I've been blindsided and got 2 members killed in one turn a couple of time already, and I just got to B8F. You are just lucky

Kazerei

Banned
I'm working on clearing B20F right now. I dunno if I can finish the story before Pokemon XY comes out. 5th stratum is gonna be brutal, I can just feel it :(

Ferrio

Banned
Ya I just got to strat 4.... not going to finish before pokemon. Oh well I'll be back to it for sure... especially if it turns out I hate pokemon.

ohlawd

I'm working on clearing B20F right now. I dunno if I can finish the story before Pokemon XY comes out. 5th stratum is gonna be brutal, I can just feel it :(
You can do it. Leave your Thu-Fri schedule free of anything besides EOU and taking shits. Well you can take a shit and play EOU at the same time.

and gawdsbwhere are the Goldbirds? Someone halp.

Verilligo

You can do it. Leave your Thu-Fri schedule free of anything besides EOU and taking shits. Well you can take a shit and play EOU at the same time.

and gawdsbwhere are the Goldbirds? Someone halp.

Goldbirds... aren't those in the second stratum? I think B9 and 10F.

slayn

Oh hello stratum 6 how I missed you.

At least floor 27 is not an act of masochism as badly as it once was. 26 was toned down a bit too.

Edit: looking at the differences in level design between the original and this really demonstrates how much better the etrian team has become at level design over time.

GeekyDad

The music in the first area of Gladshiem (after you reach the 2nd Stratum)
when you reach the terminal
is just fantastic. Does a lot to make the story that much more interesting.

Is there a skill simulator?

Or anything I can use to check how effective every skill is, I don't know how much they changed them from 1 to Untold.

vall03

Starting Classic mode and I'm stuck with choosing my party and naming my characters again. I try to avoid using the names I used in EOIV though. Still wondering how big the changes are with the skill trees compared to the original game since you can barely see it in Story mode.

Top Bottom