• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm shaking my head three times per page here.

The_Hitcher89 said:
Optimistic: 1-0 to England. Italy have an off-day in attack, helped by England being ultra-defensive and everybody putting a real shift in. Set-piece goal after 60th minute

That's very likely! If England park the bus, Italy won't score in open play.

In this case, I hope it goes to penalties
WmXek.gif

dc89

Just got to the end of the thread. Only gonna make one post haha, this thread is fucked. So many people that don't have a fucking clue. Honestly I understand casual fans but then it should be a tone of inquiry as opposed to a blanket statement, and those that do seem to get football and then show evidence to the contrary...

Yeah it was over the line. Yeah it was offside, but out of curiosity I would love to have seen the reactions if it did count; I would bet that it would be very different to what transpired.

Anyway I expected us to come second and qualify, so coming first has already exceeded my expectations. Happy if this is where we get to.

The thing with the goal yesterday;

If it was given, it shouldn't have been due to the fact he was offside. That wasn't given, so if they reverted to goal line technology which would have given the goal it would be stupid anyway cause of the offside.

It would be like (in cricket) giving someone LBW using hawk eye but not checking if the bowler bowled a no ball because he over stepped the line.

Big-E

Everyone keeps saying that, but did you take the distance to goal & quality (form) of the gk into consideration?

Yes. I am still amazed at how much power Balotelli generated in the shot. On replays I still can't comprehend how he was able to get his leg to do it. Ibra's is nice too but I understand that goal. I still don't understand how Balotelli did it.

I don't really understand the public reaction to England post-games.

As I said before, I don't believe England have many ideas with the ball and this was reflected even back in the qualifying rounds of the World Cup where their results hid any mention of the often curious performances. The public is largely result driven and we saw the understandable enthusism following the France game, although quite a few people - because of the result - somehow translated it as a great performance (as a consequence). The Sweden game was a perfect example of this. For long periods, particularly as the game advanced, Sweden were the more threatning team and once they got their second, I couldn't see where an English equaliser would come from. But after the game, it was again a 'great performance' because of the win, and the problems in the game ignored.

Ukraine for large periods controlled the game. They had more threatening chances and really should have left the game with at least a point. England, who were widely expected to walk past them, didn't perform. The quality of the Gerrard cross is irrelevant - it didn't reach Rooney without two deflections and the GK stumbling over it. The thing is, if England lose against Italy, all these points I've identified will be brought up just like post the 4-1 defeat by Germany.

When we lose, everyone rightly points out the serious flaws that are consistent in every game. When we win, often playing the same way, its a 'great performance'. The fuck am I missing?

Wilbur

Banned
The difference is, Meus, that at least in the France game there was some quality. It would be foolish to say we defended well against Sweden and attacked well against France. But, particularly in the France game, we executed a game plan almost to a tee. We restricted them to long shots and a draw was far beyond what I expected. In that situation I'm glad we accept technical inferiority and play like we did. Much as I commended Chelsea for executing a game plan wonderfully, I think we did very well.

Against Sweden save for 15 minutes at the start of the second half I would contest we definitely weren't second best. It was pretty even and I'd probably hazard a guess at saying we had the better of the game save that period. The defending was disgraceful but we counter-attacked well and profited from it.

Despite the win yesterday you will not see me say we played great. We were shite save Gerrard and Terry really.

RJT

Even tho the Czech's of 96 are long gone, can´t help but feel afraid of them. Portugal shouldn´t take this game lightly.

poborsky-240x360.jpg

That goal still gives me nightmares...

It was a shame that they weren't able to play the Euro 2004 final against us, as they should. Such a great generation from both sides during the late 90s, early 2000s: Rosicky, Nedved, Poborsky, Smicer, Figo, Rui Costa, João Pinto, Vitor Baía...

Damns Greeks! (no racism)

EDIT: plus Baros, Cech, Koller, Ronaldo, Deco, Ricardo Carvalho... Damn, what dreamteam from both countries...

kitch9

Banned

As I said before, I don't believe England have many ideas with the ball and this was reflected even back in the qualifying rounds of the World Cup where their results hid any mention of the often curious performances. The public is largely result driven and we saw the understandable enthusism following the France game, although quite a few people - because of the result - somehow translated it as a great performance (as a consequence). The Sweden game was a perfect example of this. For long periods, particularly as the game advanced, Sweden were the more threatning team and once they got their second, I couldn't see where an English equaliser would come from. But after the game, it was again a 'great performance' because of the win, and the problems in the game ignored.

Ukraine for large periods controlled the game. They had more threatening chances and really should have left the game with at least a point. England, who were widely expected to walk past them, didn't perform. The quality of the Gerrard cross is irrelevant - it didn't reach Rooney without two deflections and the GK stumbling over it. The thing is, if England lose against Italy, all these points I've identified will be brought up just like post the 4-1 defeat by Germany.

When we lose, everyone rightly points out the serious flaws that are consistent in every game. When we win, often playing the same way, its a 'great performance'. The fuck am I missing?

You appear to be missing the fact that they won. Just because you don't like the tactics is irrelevant at the end of the day. They set up it appears to be defensively solid at the start of the game and look to frustrate the opposition into committing themselves then they try to take advantage of their high line. There's no denying our defensive four is a strong unit and a good base to build from.

Acheteedo

So the yellow cards are reset after the quarter finals, right? What happens if someone gets their second yellow in 2 matches and the second match is the quarter final, do they miss the semi's?

kitch9

Banned
Lol the Ukraine players and fans are still complaining about the none goal... It was England who were robbed of a free kick higher up the pitch.

jorma

is now taking requests
Yeah, Balotellis goal was good, perhaps even second best goal of the tournament. Too bad he seems to be such a whiny bitch in general, he makes Ronaldo jr look like a manly man. Fucker is hard to like.

Nicktendo86

You appear to be missing the fact that they won. Just because you don't like the tactics is irrelevant at the end of the day. They set up it appears to be defensively solid at the start of the game and look to frustrate the opposition into committing themselves then they try to take advantage of their high line. There's no denying our defensive four is a strong unit and a good base to build from.

This. At least we HAVE tactics now rather than Capello shouting Rooney from the sidelines every now and then whilst looking clueless.

I never expected us to win the group so that is a massive plus, to be honest before this tournament all I wanted to see was some effort and commitment from the players. To pick up a couple of wins along the way is a bonus to me, Woy hasn't had long to bed in and I see this team as a long term project.

Kem0sabe

Yeah, Balotellis goal was good, perhaps even second best goal of the tournament. Too bad he seems to be such a whiny bitch in general, he makes Ronaldo jr look like a manly man. Fucker is hard to like.

40_2012050712202692.jpg

whats not to like? I love that pic btw.

Visceir

Not a single game this tournament has ended with 0 - 0

I placed some money on the portugal & german teams, but right now it feels like that was a mistake. The added chance of there being extra time and/or penalties seems to lower the odds considerably and favor the betting firm :(

Guess I should bail out while I'm ahead.

PaulLFC

Duncan's review:

Duncan Jenkins said:
Hullo and welcome to Duncan Jenkins' review of the euro 2012 group stages, with me Duncan Jenkins.

If the group stages is the equivalent of the starter in a posh four course meal, then what we have just eaten was surely something top draw like dough balls from pizza espress or even a kumquat salad. The steaks are huge in Poland and the Ukraines and it has been a superp tournament so far despite a complete and utter lack of penalty’s, with the possible exception of the one given to Greece in the very first game.

SHOCKS

Even in a sewer the cream rises to the top and emerging from the poor quality group “A” are the Cezch Republics and Greece, who both fought like a phoenix through the flames. Greece manager Fernando Santos (who incredibly is Spanish) had been staring a dead horse in the face for much of the tournament but his men shocked Russia 1-0 to send Dick Advocat’s men on the next flight back to zenit airport.

In my last piece for goal.com i said the Cezchs were going home but i always had a privately held belief that they would go through and they did, proving me correct at the end of the day. They sent hosts Poland packing and the poles certainly wont have enjoyed there early flight home unless of course they flew first class, which they probably did.

LEOPARDS

Holland’s exit from the gruppa del morte was a real shock wasnt it. The turning point for them was the way they played throughout the competition, loosing all three games as they amassed just 0 points which was not enough to take them through. The Dutch pre madonna’s can expect be treated like leopards back home, and rightly so.

Germany kept there almost perfect 100% per cent record in tacked by winning three out of three games, scoring in all of them. “der manshaft” look the team to beat as they plummeted confidently into the quarter finals alongside Portugal, where they will be knocking out Greece and the Cezch republics respectably.
Defending champions los riojas oozed out of group “C” yet there brand of football, known as “tippa tappa”, has come under criticism. I am of the belief that is hog wash. Spain’s football is art and is definately as artistic as something like Michael Di Angelo’s ‘sixteenth chapel’.

Italy could only beat irish minnows Ireland 2-0 (at one point it was just 1-0) but they finished 2nd ahead of unlucky Croatia and will face the mighty England next.

HODGSON REEKS HAVOC

My friend Gary Neville (or ‘tea bag’ as we call him) is held in higher steam by everybody who knows him and i feel he has been key to England’s smooth progress into the last 16. Roy’s decision to go for a really big number two has eased some of the pressure he must of been feeling and proved to be a very wise move indeed. Another plus has been the goal scoring return of Wazza and especially his trendy new hairs. a hint of a quift, a little bit of blond and a lovely parting to the side. Wazza is back.

With all bar two of the rubbish teams knocked out, euro 2012 is really hotting up now and i can almost smell the quarter finals which are only just around the horizon.

Duncan's tops ...

Matthieu Debuchy
The pre tournament broken leg loss of Bacary Sagna, who is coincidentally the spitting image of my G.F, was a big blow to France. However the good looking Matthieu Debuchy has done well in ‘attack’ and even better in ‘defence’ - not many opponents have gone past Debuchy on the left hand side.

Alan Dazgoev
I don’t want to bang my own trumpet but my “player to watch very closely” was Alan Dazgoev and he really came up trumps. Young Alan is the only man in Russia called “Alan” and he scored three in the first two games. I am delighted to announce he is now european football’s soup du jour of the day.

Vaclav Pilar
Even though i am a football expert i had never heard of Cezch left winger Vaclav Pilar, and anyone who says they had is telling porcupines. He’s been a fresh breathe of air in a team foolishly written off by most of my fellow pundits.

... & flops

Peter Cech
“He used to be indecisive but now he’s not so sure”. that lovely bit of banter applies very much to Cezch netsman Peter Cech who has been a reliability for his team. He’s been lacking inconsistency of late and i doubt he can not get any worse.

Shane Given
Cech however has not been the worst goalie in the tournament. It will be a tough nut for him to swallow if he ever finds out about this but Shane Given is the dreaded “Duncan Jenkins worst goalie in the tournament”.

Arnie

You're just wrong here Meus.

England have a clear plan; a clear set of ideas. Sit deep, rigid and compact, restrict the opponents to long shots and don't let them get into your box. Then when you win the ball, break with pace down the flanks.

As for the controlling games, it's completely pointless without an end product:

France controlled the game, they had no clear cut chances. None. Zip. They scored a single long shot, which happens in football. They couldn't break into the box and trouble Hart. Conversely we had a great opportunity to score another when Milner raced through one on one with the keeper.

Ukraine controlled the game, as you say, but what clear chances did they create? When did they penetrate our defence and threaten Hart? The only time they did they were offside; so we can conclude they didn't. We on the other hand should've scored early on when Rooney missed a free header, five yards out.

It's all well and good despairing because a team doesn't have the ball, but don't confuse that for a lack of ideas, or for a lack of effort. Hodgson's drilled his team to play in a negative system, sure, but it's getting results and we're not just outscoring opponents, we're creating more chances than them. And that is the key to winning football matches, not tipping the ball around in neat triangles and flicking it to one another on the halfway line.

Randdalf

You're just wrong here Meus.

England have a clear plan; a clear set of ideas. Sit deep, rigid and compact, restrict the opponents to long shots and don't let them get into your box. Then when you win the ball, break with pace down the flanks.

As for the controlling games, it's completely pointless without an end product:

France controlled the game, they had no clear cut chances. None. Zip. They scored a single long shot, which happens in football. They couldn't break into the box and trouble Hart. Conversely we had a great opportunity to score another when Milner raced through one on one with the keeper.

Ukraine controlled the game, as you say, but what clear chances did they create? When did they penetrate our defence and threaten Hart? The only time they did they were offside; so we can conclude they didn't. We on the other hand should've scored early on when Rooney missed a free header, five yards out.

It's all well and good despairing because a team doesn't have the ball, but don't confuse that for a lack of ideas, or for a lack of effort. Hodgson's drilled his team to play in a negative system, sure, but it's getting results and we're not just outscoring opponents, we're creating more chances than them. And that is the key to winning football matches, not tipping the ball around in neat triangles and flicking it to one another on the halfway line.

As much as I agree with you on this, I do think England could be a lot more threatening simply by holding the ball for longer. Every long ball up the field last night usually resulted in conceding posession to the Ukrainians. Only the cross field balls to Ashley Young ever successfully came off. Stop hoofing it.

Wilbur

Banned
As much as I agree with you on this, I do think England could be a lot more threatening simply by holding the ball for longer. Every long ball up the field last night usually resulted in conceding posession to the Ukrainians. Only the cross field balls to Ashley Young ever successfully came off. Stop hoofing it.

I don't think hoofing is necessarily the problem; in fact we do look to keep the ball on the ground more than I thought we would. The problem is our ground passes are rushed and going straight to an opposition player.

Arnie

The problem with holding onto possession, especially when Ukraine are pressing so high up the pitch, so relentlessly, is if you do happen to lose it they've got possession in your half, and you're not in shape to defend.

Hodgson's system is all about shape; we get the ball in the middle, and although it's tempting to call it a hoof, we try to look for an overlap on the wings. Young was quite effective in getting us up the field, and Rooney acted as a conduit between the midfield and the attacking players. The idea is to release the ball higher up the field as quickly as possible so that, should we lose possession, we're in there half and there's time to organise ourselves back into the defensive shape that's been so successful this tournament.

Arnie

I'm mostly talking about the abundance of grammatical/spelling mistakes.
Is that dude an actual journalist?

I think he meant "Die Mannschaft"

He's taking the piss. It's all a joke. The grammatical mistakes are intended. His girlfriend most likely does not look like Bacary Sagna.

First the offside rule and now this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom