• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

why doesn't english FA just copy what Germany did?

Trying to. Also the FA's youth programs seem pretty good this time. We sure do miss some real midfield possession talent though and what talent we do have goes AWOL when they put on an England shirt.

Anyways its hard to be upset. We did better than I expected, our new manager has finally done the unthinkable and removed much of the hysteria and delusional over hype from following England.

For good or ill this was the final hurrah for a lot of our older players so I look forward to seeing the next generation.

Italy have looked good this tourney, good luck to em.

rodvik

Noob question: Would it be better or possible if there was a UK team?

Not a silly question at all. But on balance no it probably wouldnt help.

Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland have good players to be sure but pretty much anyone who is good from UK (or ROI for that matter) has some relative or other, or can probably figure out a way to be "English" in football terms if they want a shot.

The problem is more cutural imho. No nation in the British Isles have any strong football culture which invests in ball control, short passing and possession. Its more physical, power and stamina based.

I think the FA are doing the right thing with their youth initiatives, but it will take a generation to reap the rewards. Also the PL needs to (and I think will) end up playing more possession based football over time anyway which will help it seep down.

Why is Busquets such a non-human fucking scum?

hurensohn1fq8vp.gif

hurensohn3oozac.gif

gxfdgxdfkyy1t.gif

I really hate him.

kitch9

Banned
that was Gerrard 2005. It's 7 years and countless injuries later (edit: and Gerrard's hardly the most consistent player anyways over 90 min, let alone across a whole season. he has zero tactical discipline whatsoever) Anyways, the reason England is constantly shit every tournament really isn't that hard to figure out - the midfielders are all Hollywood, with zero ball retention skills. For years Lampard, Gerrard, and, on occasion, even Rooney, all constantly operated in the same space and restricted their own options.

that and England players really are nowhere near as good as you think they are. so it's more law of averages taking its toll than some mythical drop in quality.

That wasn't his last good thing he did?

As for the rest of your points I think I covered that in my post. Englands footballers are (were) trained from a young age to hoof the ball forward which means we've always had "hollywood" kickers and crossers of the ball in the team such as Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard etc, etc but we've always lacked the close ball discipline. It mainly stems from playing on pitches that are too large from a young age and by the time they grow into the pitch the bad habits are fully formed.

Hart constantly kicking the ball into the forwards and failing last night was driving me crazy, where Buffon was mostly distributing from the back which than got got passed to Pirlo who distributed from midfield which was much more effective.

kitch9

Banned
Bisquits is a piece of shit. Never forget peekaboo.gif

Its blatant cheating, and it will keep happening as long as it remains unpunished.

Lol at the Busquets hate.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world.

Awful cheat but an absolutely magnificent player.

For this reason he is not worth the shit off your shoe compared to other midfielders. Fans pay a lot of money to follow their team and the game they should not expect for one of the games multi millionaires from their money to fucking cheat. We want to watch football not the worlds greatest body flops and faux agony peek a boo floor wriggles.

The guys a dirty embarrassing fucking pansy. "Great midfielder" is the exact opposite of what he is.

caramac

Hodgsons tactical limitations were badly exposed last night. If that were Capello's England he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now.

Kem0sabe

That Busquets foul, i must have missed that in the game... what a cynical fucker that one, i wonder why someone hasn´t bitched slapped him for these kind´s of antics.

Salazar

Hodgsons tactical limitations were badly exposed last night. If that were Capello's England he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now.

At least we are spared the continuing spectacle of crosses being banged in about a yard too high for Rooney to get to, and commentators pissing on about him being "off the pace" when he can't suddenly grow in order to get something on them.

Admittedly, he's knackered, but christ. Pissants who simply don't like the lad are having a field day.

Kabouter

Not really relevant to the tournament any longer, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. Major Dutch newspaper is reporting that Bert van Marwijk will stay on as manager of the Dutch national team. I have no idea why. They seem to only want to change some technical staff and get new players in the team.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really relevant to the tournament any longer, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. Major Dutch newspaper is reporting that Bert van Marwijk will stay on as manager of the Dutch national team. I have no idea why. They seem to only want to change some technical staff and get new players in the team.

Oh damn. I was really hoping for some new blood, a clean slate.
He's a good trainer, but I hope Van Marwijk doesn't continue to be such a stubborn ass in the next tournament.

Chuckie

Oh damn. I was really hoping for some new blood, a clean slate.
He's a good trainer, but I hope Van Marwijk doesn't continue to be such a stubborn ass in the next tournament.

If he continues to be that stubborn, there will be no next tournament. At least not in 2014.

Arjen

Unbelievable..if there ever was a reason for a manager to leave. Worst result on a major tournament since?? Can't remember it being worse. And stil fail to take responsibility..

F#A#Oo

Banned
Unbelievable..if there ever was a reason for a manager to leave. Worst result on a major tournament since?? Can't remember it being worse. And stil fail to take responsibility..

I'm sorry but the Dutch players created a shit atmosphere in the lockeroom...what are you expecting Bert van Marwijk to do when you have a bunch of wankers who spoil it not only for themselves but more importantly for an entire nation...?

What good is changing coach when the same players who create unrest remain around?

Probably because they cant afford to sack him.

Roi

The KNVB didn't have a backup plan, they gave him a 4-year contract this winter! Even after the bad results/games in the preparation, they thought it would turn out like 2 years ago...

Jay Sosa

kitch9: "I'm surprised we made the quarters tbh. "

Really, you're "surprised" England, currently ranked 6th in the world, finished as a top 8 team in Europe? So you expected them to finish behind 2/3 of France, Sweden, and Ukraine?

I mean they didn't particularly do anything to distinguish themselves from the rest of the group, but to consider England advancing out of the group stage to be a surprise is almost as ridiculous as the people who think they played well and deserved to advance just as much as Italy...

If they wouldn't have played in such a horrible group they wouldn't even have survived the group stage.
I mean is anyone even watching the games? They were lucky against Sweden and the Ukraine, two of the worst teams in the entire tournament. Granted Italy isn't that much better (however I do expect them to match up pretty well against Germany) but still, no one had any big expectation for England in this tournament.

And btw FIFA rankings are a joke.

-Amon-

Well it would have been much better to win against England without going to extra time and penalties.

It would have been fair considering the overall chances.

Now we must play against a great team that has 2 more days to rest and won it's quarter final with ease.

It's going to be tough for sure.

But i'm sure that Germans are shitting their pants too. From what i read around they look confident. But they have a terrible record against us and they know it.

Lord Snow

Banned
I don't understand why some England fans are saying they're proud of the team. Why? We got dominated in nearly every match and rode our luck in every single one. I mean, getting out of the group shouldn't be seen as an achievement, yet it is even though it would have been criminal if we didn't. If Capello was still in charge he'd be getting slaughtered by the press, but because it's Roy everyone is ignoring the fact that his tactics were/are shit.

Salazar

I don't understand why some England fans are saying they're proud of the team.

The goobers who think that Arsenal can make a credible title run (to take a random example of delusion) don't suddenly gain brain cells when the season finishes.

You shouldn't expect to understand.

Acheteedo

Now that the England shame is starting to dissipate, it has to be said - we're in for a treat with these semi-finals, the right 4 teams are there, both games have the potential to be awesome.

Hoping for a Germany - Portugal final.

Kem0sabe

I don't understand why some England fans are saying they're proud of the team. Why? We got dominated in nearly every match and rode our luck in every single one. I mean, getting out of the group shouldn't be seen as an achievement, yet it is even though it would have been criminal if we didn't. If Capello was still in charge he'd be getting slaughtered by the press, but because it's Roy everyone is ignoring the fact that his tactics were/are shit.

Even if the quality of the players was or wasn´t up to par, one thing that English fans should demand from their team (players and manager) was ambition and drive, sadly those were missing.

This English team seemed content to play for the draw, even knowing their history with penalty shootouts, they didn´t push forward and try to get a different result, instead... they went out with a whimper.

This

If it was 'Appy 'Arry we would have said we got robbed

Fed up with England now. The same shit each tournament..its beyond a joke now

Salazar

Even if the quality of the players was or wasn´t up to par

It's not coherently reducible to something as general as "quality".

Gerrard was never going to have enough in the tank, for example. He did his best, and he performed pretty damn formidably in some respects. But exhaustion was coming for him.

The pride & passion narrative was adopted very early on. I don't know how they measured that, because I thought England were very average in all their group games despite having won two of them. If it was pride and passion the public wanted, half the country could done just as well as those players if selected. I said before: the bigger problem is the perception of this side: people are delusional

Biscuits is a piece of shit indeed, but I have a feeling Jordi Alba will outclass him in the acting department soon. Striving to be the new Dani Alves for Barca he falls ridioulsly fast and with great theatrics after the softest touches. I am starting to hate him even more.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

because never in her history has England been led by a man with the mirth, compassion and raw natural talent as Gerrard. not only did the team rise and fall on his ability to weave magic, but so too the entire country. even the Irish like him. kinda.

Gregorn

No one even expected this English team to get past the group stage, but they won that and lost on penalties to a much better team where they could have easily lost 4-0.

When your expectations are really low anything looks good.

Kem0sabe

It's not coherently reducible to something as general as "quality".

Gerrard was never going to have enough in the tank, for example. He did his best, and he performed pretty damn formidably in some respects. But exhaustion was coming for him.

Your right that we can´t reduce a teams chances to quality only, look at Greece in 2004 for example, but for as much as i dislike those ##$%, they had the will and the drive to make their own luck.

This English team just seemed to lack any kind of bite to accompany their bark... (yay for more stupid analogies)

bud

the way pirlo's dominating the games reminds me of zizou in germany six years ago.

the italians in general are playing such nice football this tournament.

Booya

Neo Member
Italy could've chosen another match to play their fairest game yet...
As a german I was really hoping for some yellows and they only got one.

Oh well, I really enjoyed Italy yesterday. Tbh i hated them after they kicked us out the last time, but i think they played rather nice yesterday. Adding that I think we (germany) plays rather nice as well, despite a lot of german nagging we play bad..(its a (north)german thing /smh). So the best case scenario is a 2:2 with three heartattacks for me during the 90 minutes and Goalmez shooting us into the final match in the 95th minute or so. Worst case is a diving parade and me hating italy again from the bottom of my heart. Italy pls.. dont go that road, i want to like your new playstyle and i dig baloltrolli for his childish attitude.

Realisticly speaking i think löw goes back to gomez. I'd like to see more Reus and i hope Özil continues to be my fav player on the field. Also hoping for Poldi to be back on track and the fact that he didt play the last match should motivate him to get his a-game on. I want one of those rage-shots by poldi that destroys everything in its path.

So here is to germany winning so we can all see more awkward angie (merkel) cheers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-2BKusP_E&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom