• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Alright lads. Been out all night so didn't get a chance to post. Just on the way to work now and fucking knackered. Also I have avoided all the England hate haha, so whatever. Really hope Italy go on and win it and if not them, Germany. Portugal and Spain can both suck my retreating anti football dick

Overall my expectations were met and even exceeded a little bit with us topping the group. Us going out now is cool because it's what our level is. No disappointment on that level.

Italy deserved the win overall, but probably for the first time since Euro 2004 I'm happy with where the team looks to be going. Regardless of how well Gerrard, Parker and Terry have done, it's time for a clean slate for me. Don't think we will get it but the best thing we can do is make their positions in the squad that of squad members as opposed to first team starters. Germany did it with Klose and Friedrich etc etc and it's paying dividends. We're miles behind them of course but Hart, Walker, Smalling, Jones, Wilshere, Cleverley, Welbeck, Ox, Shelvey, Rodwell, Carroll, Sturridge... They should be the team now.

As for the actual match, we only defended well in last gasp situations. Balotelli kept getting past our line, it was fucking abysmal defending for the most part despite the fact they jumped in front of a million shots. Johnson was very good though, he and Hart were our best players. Welbeck was unlucky to go off because Rooney was fucking crap, and if I didn't already hate Ashley Young enough, the cunt goes and does that.

Meh. Onwards and upwards, we have a good bunch of youngsters which we should be looking to use. And Pirlo is a fucking god. If any player is going to contribute to knocking us out, it should be him. Hope he wins the tournament. Just a delight to watch.

Korez

2012-06-24T213004Z_1071188781_LR2E86O1NPTAR_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-EURO.JPG

Dafuq?

F#A#Oo

Banned
England taking penalties too seriously...

On TalkSPORT they're talking about bringing sports psychologists to these competitions for penalties... :D

angelobruno30

Neo Member
Imagine if Spain eliminates Portugal on wednesday with another dubious referee decision... will be too much heartbreak for me to handle.

I'm afraid of Platini's quote saying that he wanted Spain vs Germany in the final! I pray to God that the referee is incorruptible!

Imagine what could happen if referees don't kill the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZRMEcWkUo

Also, that Ronaldo goal shouldn't have been called offside. Ball had already passed the line before Nani touched it.

Yep, but even if the ball wasn't in, Nani was onside because of Piqué laid on the ground.

LOL @ the portuguese fans already doing damage control.

I don't see it that way, we're just being realistic. We are in better shape than Spain at this moment, more motivated, more fresh... So it's gonna be a good game, but in my opinion we have to score in the first half or we're finished.

We destroyed Spain in that game. Yeah, blabla, friendly... But it wasn't merely a 1-0 or 2-0. It was 4-0 and if you really want to count the Ronaldo goal, Spain got a nice full hand of goals handed to them in that match :D That is something. It shows we can play our game and win, and not cower like everyone does. Just like France could've done a much better job in the quarters if they had just stuck to their game.

Most of all, Portugal - Spain has the potential to be one hell of a game. Again, it depends on how we play, if we don't cower and defend all game, both teams have excellent attacking football in my opinion. That, together with the fact many of the players know each other so well, just shows no one has anything to hide here, so both teams might just go full out after the win.

I'm hoping for a great semi, knowing fully well it's a 50-50 chance but that if we lose, we lose to Spain, which is a fantastic team all around.
3AQmK.gif

Spain played 34 times against Portugal: 16 wins, 12 draws and 6 losses.

Just facts "bro" :)

How many of those were with the current team? And how many of THOSE were legit wins?

Facts matter, facts with proper context matter even more.

Oh god...

It looks like the guy to his right was just about to do the same.

So, if we beat Portugal is because the refs want it that way.

So good.
Too soon to tell.

Dibbz

It shows we can play our game and win, and not cower like everyone does. Just like France could've done a much better job in the quarters if they had just stuck to their game.

lol France said the same thing before their game and they got bent over so hard they just stopped playing. You cannot decide to play your own game when you cannot even win the ball back let alone string 2 passes together.

Good look trying to win 4-0 in a Semi-Final against the best defense in the tournament.

lol France said the same thing before their game and they got bent over so hard they just stopped playing. You cannot decide to play your own game when you cannot even win the ball back let alone string 2 passes together.

Good look trying to win 4-0 in a Semi-Final against the best defense in the tournament.

As one of our players said, 4-0 won't happen again, and of course I'm not expecting it to happen. And you know friendlies count for little, but it's a result that shows something. I think France had enough quality to play head on against Spain, but all the changes they made for the game tells me they opted to defend and play counter, and that won't work. Spain's defense might be best in tournament but that doesn't make them a perfect defense. Just the best in the tournament.

I expect it to be hard, but not impossible. Putting the right elements together, I'd say 50-50. That means sticking to playing as we always do, no matter what, and having our team be at their best, which I honestly thought wouldn't happen at this Euro, but clearly they've exceed my expectations and I think they're playing very well.

I'm far from being biased or anything like that, football is just a sport. We win, we win, we lose, we lose. I don't care much after it's over. Most of all I want a great semi. These are my opinions but if in the end Spain demolish us, I can't say I wasn't expecting it, they can pull off anything.

Edit: Thread getting ugly
KuGsj.gif

kitch9

Banned
England taking penalties too seriously...

On TalkSPORT they're talking about bringing sports psychologists to these competitions for penalties... :D

Yeah, we've won 1 out of 7 attempts. We need to do something, and if it works why not?

They'll have been knocking penalties in for fun in training because it was fun. Last night you could see in their eyes that in their minds that the goal was tiny and Buffon looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom