• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Pirlo's been my favorite player since I started getting into football during the 2006 WC. All my friends have been poking fun at me for liking an older and slower player.

I just turned to my roommate after the penalty and gave him a smirk and gestured towards the TV.

Love it when he gets the recognition he deserves. Seems like everyone talks highly of him when he's playing but he's not in the news much or on lists of best players that often, at least until recently.

Why is Busquets such a non-human fucking scum?

hurensohn1fq8vp.gif

hurensohn3oozac.gif

gxfdgxdfkyy1t.gif

Pirlo's been my favorite player since I started getting into football during the 2006 WC. All my friends have been poking fun at me for liking an older and slower player.

I just turned to my roommate after the penalty and gave him a smirk and gestured towards the TV.

Love it when he gets the recognition he deserves. Seems like everyone talks highly of him when he's playing but he's not in the news much or on lists of best players that often, at least until recently.

I love how humble, classy and reserved he is, in and off the pitch. Real human being and a real hero.

Buzzati

Banned
You're obsessed with the spaniards, don't worry, control your fear, they won't beat you this time, Italy will.

Forza Italia!

How are we going to beat anyone further on in the comp when we can't score a goal to save our lives? Don't get me wrong - I love our midfield, but lets not kid ourselves.

F#A#Oo

Banned
How are we going to beat anyone further on in the comp when we can't score a goal to save our lives? Don't get me wrong - I love our midfield, but lets not kid ourselves.

It's not easy to score when a team defends 10 men behind the ball...

Ask Bayern and Barcelona...

mozfan12

Banned
Italy vs Germany might be the best match in the whole tournament. I cant wait. This Italian side is so much fun to watch, and personally the two most entertaining teams have been the Germans and the Italians.

Honestly England were just shameful. They have the resources to attack. I would get this type of playstyle maybe against Spain, but Italy has shown to have weaknesses in the defence, especially when the Italian players tire in the second half. I mean, even Ireland showed better against the Italians than England. If it were not for shoddy finishing Italy could have finished this 3 nil.

Hart's funny faces to try and psych out the Italy players during penalties were funny. But I was just thinking how we'd never see Gigi do something that amateurish. Buffon doesn't need to psych people out with funny faces or flailing his arms about like a octopus turd. His natural swagger is imposing enough.

God bless the swagger king.

gianluigi-buffon-02.jpg

Big-E

Glad we made the Semi and we haven't trailed yet. Germany will be tough but Pirlo's hair should be enough to counter anything the Germans can throw at it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Pirlo staking a claim for Ballon d'Or 2012? Ronaldo and Messi should watch out...maybe he might be in with a chance having lead Juventus to Serie A title...and seems to be so pivotal to Italy's game. Should Italy make it to the Final he should be considered imho.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Diving aside, you can't deny Busquets talent. Superb sense of positioning completely makes up for him being slow, his great technical ability means it's almost imposible to take the ball away from him without commiting a foul.

Messi

Diving aside, you can't deny Busquets talent. Superb sense of positioning completely makes up for him being slow, his great technical ability means it's almost imposible to take the ball away from him without commiting a foul.

I agree 100% but you are wasting your time. People will just talk shit about him.

Visceir

No game until wednesday :/

Moutinho and Pepe are going to neutralize Spain's attacks and Ronaldo is going to score 2 goals from sharp counters.

pulga

Banned
Hart's funny faces to try and psych out the Italy players during penalties were funny. But I was just thinking how we'd never see Gigi do something that amateurish. Buffon doesn't need to psych people out with funny faces or flailing his arms about like a octopus turd. His natural swagger is imposing enough.

God bless the swagger king.

I fist pumped so hard when Pirlo scored because of that. Hart deserved to look amateurish after acting like a twat.

rodvik

Grats Italy, the better ream won. No complaints.

Not too gutted , we got further than I thought we would. England remain England though, our absolute refusal to maintain possession under ay circumstance remains a national enigma.

Anyways Grats Italy! Good luck next round.

The scheduling is kinda unfair and doesn't really favor Italy at all. Germany get an extra 2 days off and if Italy do manage to make the finals then Portugal/Spain will have had an extra day off too. I know you can't have 4 quarter final matches in one day to make it equal but 2 a day would have been better like the group stages. And then both semi's on the same day too.

IceCold

doesn't matter who comes to coach madrid after him, it will be boring :(

mourinho = entertainment

can't see portugal winning unless ronaldo score a hat trick, even then, it may not be enough

I doubt that. Spain only beat Portugal by 1-0 in the WC 2010 and its squad was stronger then whereas Portugal is a better team now and more united (a lot of players disliked Carlos Queiroz)

Zabojnik

Allegri somehow didn't realize Pirlo's game has never required a younger man's pace, at least since his Brescia days. Poor Max made a bitch move and he paid for it as a resurgent Pirlo led Juve to the scudetto and Italy at least to the semifinals. All the Juventini lived happily ever after.

galliani%20mister%20x-anteprima-346x212-415470.jpg

The funny thing is Milan just signed Montolivo, who, while obviously a different kind of midfielder, is similary slow-paced. Yes, I'm comparing Pirlo and Montolivo, crazy I know. He'll be dead next year, though. :/ I think I'd be okay with Juve giving him an extra month of rest after the magnificent season he's had with us.
No, I wouldn't be.
Juve keeping Marrone and buying quality midfielders like Asamoah and Isla is sure starting to make a lot of sense. We really should sign Verratti too, as he is the closest thing to a Pirlo's natural successor. God bless you, Andreino from Brescia!

sky-tv-miracles-pirlo-small-30322.jpg

kitch9

Banned
Well, apparently there's a bit of trouble in a town near to me due to Italian presence and England loss.

Just through twitter and stuff, but don't like hearing stuff like that. At the end of the day it's a football match, certainly not worth getting arrested/causing mayhem over.

Edit: Seems like it was just a few idiots.

Still gutted England lost, but on reflection we got further than many people expected and we took Italy to the edge - very tense shoot out!

Roys not lost in normal time yet which is maybe a good thing.

New manager, running new tactics with a team with a lot of injuries just before the tournament... I'm surprised we made the quarters tbh.

The changes being made at grass roots will take the best part of a decade to come through, so we better hope Roy perfects what he's trying to do.

Clydefrog

The scheduling is kinda unfair and doesn't really favor Italy at all. Germany get an extra 2 days off and if Italy do manage to make the finals then Portugal/Spain will have had an extra day off too. I know you can't have 4 quarter final matches in one day to make it equal but 2 a day would have been better like the group stages. And then both semi's on the same day too.

yeah that's really unfair that Germany gets 2 more days rest

MPW

Roys not lost in normal time yet which is maybe a good thing.

New manager, running new tactics with a team with a lot of injuries just before the tournament... I'm surprised we made the quarters tbh.

The changes being made at grass roots will take the best part of a decade to come through, so we better hope Roy perfects what he's trying to do.

why doesn't english FA just copy what Germany did?

xbhaskarx

kitch9: "I'm surprised we made the quarters tbh. "

Really, you're "surprised" England, currently ranked 6th in the world, finished as a top 8 team in Europe? So you expected them to finish behind 2/3 of France, Sweden, and Ukraine?

I mean they didn't particularly do anything to distinguish themselves from the rest of the group, but to consider England advancing out of the group stage to be a surprise is almost as ridiculous as the people who think they played well and deserved to advance just as much as Italy...

kitch9

Banned
why doesn't english FA just copy what Germany did?

They are to some extent, along with trying to reproduce South American conditions with our footballing kids.

Up until recently 6 years olds were playing 11 a side on 3/4 to full sized pitches which when you think about it is complete madness. I remember playing football at that age on similar sized pitches at school and my team mates seemed miles away and running from one side of the pitch to the other took about 10 minutes! Not exactly good conditions to learn how to pass, rather just how to hoof the ball as far as you could.

Now the guidelines are much smaller teams and pitches which automatically puts the focus on passing and keeping the ball.

Saying that the England team baffles me. Individually most of those guys produce stunning football week in week out. I remember Gerrard single handedly turning round a 3 goal deficit in the CL final for instance, but put them in an England shirt and they just seem to forget how good they actually are.

kitch9: "I'm surprised we made the quarters tbh. "

Really, you're "surprised" England, currently ranked 6th in the world, finished as a top 8 team in Europe? So you expected them to finish behind 2/3 of France, Sweden, and Ukraine?

I mean they didn't particularly do anything to distinguish themselves from the rest of the group, but to consider England advancing out of the group stage to be a surprise is almost as ridiculous as the people who think they played well and deserved to advance just as much as Italy...

Our build up to the tournament was horrendous. We got a new manager who only got a few days to spend with the team to work on his gameplan and strategy, only to be hit with a LOT of injuries to key players just before the tournament so he then had to call up further replacements and devise and new plan to accommodate the different players. So yeah, going into the tournament I expected us to struggle and to certainly not win the group. World Cup 2010 preparations were smoother and look how bad that turned out, so I just expected worse.

jtb

Banned
They are to some extent, along with trying to reproduce South American conditions with our footballing kids.

Up until recently 6 years olds were playing 11 a side on 3/4 to full sized pitches which when you think about it is complete madness. I remember playing football at that age on similar sized pitches at school and my team mates seemed miles away and running from one side of the pitch to the other took about 10 minutes! Not exactly good conditions to learn how to pass, rather just how to hoof the ballas far as you could.

Now the guidelines are much smaller teams and pitches which automatically puts the focus on passing and keeping the ball.

Saying that the England team baffles me. Individually most of those guys produce stunning football week in week out. I remember Gerrard single handedly turning round a 3 goal deficit in the CL final for instance, but put them in an England shirt and they just seem to forget how good they actually are.

that was Gerrard 2005. It's 7 years and countless injuries later (edit: and Gerrard's hardly the most consistent player anyways over 90 min, let alone across a whole season. he has zero tactical discipline whatsoever) Anyways, the reason England is constantly shit every tournament really isn't that hard to figure out - the midfielders are all Hollywood, with zero ball retention skills. For years Lampard, Gerrard, and, on occasion, even Rooney, all constantly operated in the same space and restricted their own options.

that and England players really are nowhere near as good as you think they are. so it's more law of averages taking its toll than some mythical drop in quality.

Clegg

Lol at the Busquets hate.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world.

Awful cheat but an absolutely magnificent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom