• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

1339879914713y1ukj.gif

Thats a myth. See Russia today, Barca vs Chelsea or like you said Fabregas against Italy, playing football is nice but you still need a perfect pass and two players on the same page to score.

Look at the CL Final Gomez was covered by 2 defenders and pretty much taken out of the game, the mistake wasnt so much on Gomez playing inside the box but rather that on other player was able to take advantage of the 2 defenders concentrating on Gomez. If you are interested you should really read the www.spielverlagerung.de analysis on the CL final.

Barca has been incredibly unlucky and, more importantly, they missed someone who plays well but can also score some typical striker/poacher goals without trying to carry the ball into the goal every time. That's neither Messi, nor Fabregas (---> David Villa). Germany does have those players (Klose, Reus to some extent) and should therefore field them, because otherwise, with Gomez, we could see FINALE DAHOAM redux.
I'm not going to read that write-up (again). Even with all the Chelsea marking he had a lot of chances and still didn't convert because he needs a ton of space (inside the box) and the ball to be perfectly in position for him to score.
He could still be given that space vs. Greece (live he was given vs. the shitty NL defense) because they're neither Chelsea, nor Italy, but from a tactical perspective he should not be the first choice and I hope Löw will give Klose more time vs. Denmark.

Kem0sabe

Now all of Russia knows how the Portuguese felt when Greece lucked out in 2004.

This is one of the worse teams in Europe to watch play, they foul, cheat, dive and park the bus their way to improbable wins.

Fuck it, i would love to see the pre-game press warmup to a Germany-Greece game in the next round.

fuenf

Barca has been incredibly unlucky and, more importantly, they missed someone who plays well but can also score some typical striker/poacher goals without trying to carry the ball into the goal every time. That's neither Messi, nor Fabregas (---> David Villa). Germany does have those players (Klose, Reus to some extent) and should therefore field them, because otherwise, with Gomez, we could see FINALE DAHOAM redux.
I'm not going to read that write-up (again). Even with all the Chelsea marking he had a lot of chances and still didn't convert because he needs a ton of space (inside the box) and the ball to be perfectly in position for him to score.
He could still be given that space vs. Greece (live he was given vs. the shitty NL defense) because they're neither Chelsea, nor Italy, but from a tactical perspective he should not be the first choice and I hope Löw will give Klose more time vs. Denmark.

Yeah i just dont like the Gomez hate. He has his faults but i almost think the international level suits him better than the club level (like you mentioned more space, more defensive faults). You are right about Klose but i dont wanna see Reus playing striker against Greece. In theory he could do well but when did he ever play against that kind of defense? Most of the time Gladbach was the defensive team, anyway like i mentioned before i'm starting to relax about this match up because honestly it would take a miracle of epic proportions (would be much bigger than the Chelsea upset).

In my ideal world Klose would play tomorrow just to see how fit he is and what he can bring to the table.

cube444

This is one of the worse teams in Europe to watch play, they foul, cheat, dive and park the bus their way to improbable wins.

Fuck it, i would love to see the pre-game press warmup to a Germany-Greece game in the next round.

I didn't see it in this match. They deserved a PK, but the ref was against them and their FK was a foot away from being goal of the tourney.

Reuenthal

Banned
Greece was disallowed a goal in the second match against Czech Republic and got a false red card in the first against Poland and perhaps was not given a penalty there. I am surprised the refereeing towards Greece did not get more attention here when people talk about Greece qualifying from this group.

By the way this is the second loss of Russian teams to Greek teams recently. There was also Zenit against APOEL, that is the Cypriot club which has the name Athletic Football Club of Greeks which won against Zenit. And Zenit's game was not that much dissimilar to the way Russia played today although they had more chances and a goal. There were some similar weaknesses and similarities with that match although Apoel was playing more attacking football than Greece. So this match was certainly a deja vu moment for me.

Going to support Greece if Denmark goes out tomorrow. Come at me, GAF.

Good. I actually supported Denmark in that group.

Mato

Can't help but wonder about the timing of this outcome. Considering fuming Greeks are voting tomorrow some high-order intervention to make sure the voters are feeling euphoric and pro-euro seems pretty plausible. When intergovernmental, long term projects are at stakes what is it to spent a few millions to buy out a few russian soccer players.

Tabloid wars will be fought.

Yeah i just dont like the Gomez hate. He has his faults but i almost think the international level suits him better than the club level (like you mentioned more space, more defensive faults). You are right about Klose but i dont wanna see Reus playing striker against Greece. In theory he could do well but when did he ever play against that kind of defense? Most of the time Gladbach was the defensive team, anyway like i mentioned before i'm starting to relax about this match up because honestly it would take a miracle of epic proportions (would be much bigger than the Chelsea upset).

In my ideal world Klose would play tomorrow just to see how fit he is and what he can bring to the table.
I sort of expected you to be less reasonable, so I started to do a gif analysis of Gomez' actions vs. NL, lol
Here's as far as I got:
gomez_poldiki7bg.gif

How often do you see Klose failing at simple one-twos? I bet he could've even channel to ball to Khedira there.

gomez_poldi_22wep9.gif

(with Klose I'm pretty sure that'd would have been a Podolski goal or at least a huge chance)

I agree with you though. And I hope you noticed that I'm not just hating on him. He can be very useful sometimes, one of the best in the world in certain situations, but at the end of the day he is an incomplete striker.

Bonus:
badstvhc9a.gif

cube444

Can't help but wonder about the timing of this outcome. Considering fuming Greeks are voting tomorrow some high-order intervention to make sure the voters are feeling euphoric and pro-euro seems pretty plausible. When intergovernmental, long term projects are at stakes what is it to spent a few millions to buy out a few russian soccer players.

:lol :lol

leroidys

Well I don't like Greece as a team either, but honestly they deserved the result today.

Chuckie

okc.gif

feel

1339879914713y1ukj.gif

fuenf

I sort of expected you to be less reasonable, so I started to do a gif analysis of Gomez' actions vs. NL, lol
Here's as far as I got:
gomez_poldiki7bg.gif

How often do you see Klose failing at simple one-twos? I bet he could've even channel to ball to Khedira there.

gomez_poldi_22wep9.gif

(with Klose I'm pretty sure that'd would have been a Podolski goal or at least a huge chance)

I agree with you though. And I hope you noticed that I'm not just hating on him. He can be very useful sometimes, one of the best in the world in certain situations, but at the end of the day he is an incomplete striker.

hahal lol awesome work :D i know what you mean, Gomez strikes me as a guy who's so talented he never really had to learn the basics. It's really frustrating at times, he could easily be one of the best players in the world if it wasnt for those failures you pointed out. It's crazy to think that the guy in these gifs is the same guy that scored the first goal against the Netherlands...

I know that an in form Klose could elevate the level of the team BUT nobody knows what his current form is and so far we didnt win shit with him (well same can be said for Bayern and Gomez). All i know is that Gomez can go on ridiculous hot streaks and that we should ride this streak as long as we can. Sorry if i overreact sometimes, but it's really hard to tell if you are just hating on him because he's a Bayern player (like certrain other posters) or trying to fairly criticise him, now i know that it's the latter.

But please tell me i didnt imagine things when i called Gladbach a defensive team. Am i starting to lose it?

edit: actually after lookin at these gifs a couple of more time, they arent even that bad (for his standards) he can be far worse than that! ;)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

WTF am I reading.

Reuenthal

Banned
I haven't seen that many comments regarding that but Czech Republic getting first in the group after the 4-1 defeat in the first match was also a nice surprise, that I enjoyed as I do enjoy surprises like these.

Sorry if i overreact sometimes, but it's really hard to tell if you are just hating on him because he's a Bayern player (like certrain other posters) or trying to fairly criticise him, now i know that it's the latter.

How can you not fairly critisize Gomez? He scores goals but can be extremely shitty (and is rather shitty most of the time) at handling the ball. Everybody knows that. No matter how much he runs in a match or helps out in defense, Klose will always be better at actually playing football. And that's what most Gomez "haters" want to see.

I'm not arrogant nor imperialist ;_;
I'm not talking about the common folk but mainly about the political and media authorities who have convinced the people that are giving Greeks money, whilst they are just lending them money with 5% profit... Anyway, I should not bring up political issues but a previous post about "there will be no bailout this time" was simply just too provocative.

fuenf

How can you not fairly critisize Gomez? He scores goals but can be extremely shitty (and is pretty shit most of the time) at handling the ball. Everybody knows that. No matter how much he runs in a match or helps out in defense, Klose will always be better at actually playing football. And that's what most Gomez "haters" want to see.

At the moment it's simply about winning, i dont care who gets the job currently. Currently Gomez has everything (goals) on his side, Klose on the other hand is a giant question mark (doesnt matter if he's better than Gomez if he isnt match fit). That's why i would play Klose against Denmark, just to test things out and than adjust the lineup for the playoffs accordingly. (Either Klose starts or putting all eggs in the Gomez basket by starting Götze instead of Poldi).

By the way this is the second loss of Russian teams to Greek teams recently. There was also Zenit against APOEL, that is the Cypriot club which has the name Athletic Football Club of Greeks which won against Zenit. And Zenit's game was not that much dissimilar to the way Russia played today although they had more chances and a goal. There were some similar weaknesses and similarities with that match although Apoel was playing more attacking football than Greece. So this match was certainly a deja vu moment for me.
Also for those who watch Euroleague basketball, there is the deja vu of CSKA Moscow vs Olympiacos in the Final Four Final. The Russians were the absolute favorite but the Greeks won the trophy.

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38781683&postcount=10763

F#A#Oo said:
Sweden can still make it out.

This England is poor...Ibra can slice them open better than Benzema. Sweden's defence though needs to be more organised.

Ukraine are in a good place mentally even if physically we all know there are issues. The mental strength needed for these competitions is always a major factor. It's just not something you can account for.

All in all I think its a 3 horse race between France, Sweden and Ukraine.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38782553&postcount=10772

F#A#Oo said:
England has never beaten Sweden in these competitions. I doubt they'll start on Friday re-writing history.

Ukraine are on the Host nation buzz...

:)

My worry with England is how whenever they score a goal they seem to need a good 15 minutes of celebratory wankery. Shevchenko won't take that shit, We saw how a little bit of Swedish lapse led to him basically single handedly winning that match.

Although Rooney being back will be neat.

Hopefully Sweden atleast try against France..

gate777

Post match press conference. Greece coach Fernando Santos responds to a British reporters' question regarding Angela Merkels's comments lately regarding Greece.

His Epic response.

Στην Ελλάδα ξεκίνησαν όλα και άπαντες οφείλουν να τη σέβονται. Η Δημοκρατία ήρθε από εκεί και τόσες άλλες αρχές και επιστήμες διδάχθηκαν από τους Έλληνες που έχουν τεράστια υπερηφάνεια και αξίζουν τον σεβασμό όλων. Αυτό που μας εμπνέει δεν είναι τα σχόλια τέτοιου τύπου, αλλά η τεράστια ιστορία της Ελλάδας. Κανείς δεν μπορεί να μας κάνει μαθήματα

Translation:

Everything started in Greece and everyone owes her respect. Democracy was born there and countless other science and beginnings was taught from Greeks who have tremendous pride and they deserve everyone's respect. The thing that drives us isn't the comments the press makes but the humongous history of Greece. Nobody can give us lessons.

Link (Greek)

Wilbur

Banned
My worry with England is how whenever they score a goal they seem to need a good 15 minutes of celebratory wankery. Shevchenko won't take that shit, We saw how a little bit of Swedish lapse led to him basically single handedly winning that match.

Although Rooney being back will be neat.

Hopefully Sweden atleast try against France..

First 15 minutes of the second half we were a fucking disgrace.

elty

Post match press conference. Greece coach Fernando Santos responds to a British reporters' question regarding Angela Merkels's comments lately regarding Greece.

His Epic response.

Στην Ελλάδα ξεκίνησαν όλα και άπαντες οφείλουν να τη σέβονται. Η Δημοκρατία ήρθε από εκεί και τόσες άλλες αρχές και επιστήμες διδάχθηκαν από τους Έλληνες που έχουν τεράστια υπερηφάνεια και αξίζουν τον σεβασμό όλων. Αυτό που μας εμπνέει δεν είναι τα σχόλια τέτοιου τύπου, αλλά η τεράστια ιστορία της Ελλάδας. Κανείς δεν μπορεί να μας κάνει μαθήματα

Translation:

Everything started in Greece and everyone owes her respect. Democracy was born there and countless other science and beginnings was taught from Greeks who have tremendous pride and they deserve everyone's respect. The thing that drives us isn't the comments the press makes but the humongous history of Greece. Nobody can give us lessons.

Link (Greek)

Sounds like it can be used after their election as well. No one can force them to pay the debt they owe!

Translation:

Link (Greek)

Sometimes I don't know if to laugh or cry. We did some great shit 2400 years ago, stop complaining!

Alx

Sometimes I don't know if to laugh or cry. We did some great shit 2400 years ago, stop complaining!

Yeah I didn't want to seem rude and hesitated to answer, but that's what I thought too ; Greece should have better things to offer than the ruins of a dead civilization...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom