• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it can be used after their election as well. No one can force them to pay the debt they owe!
603028_247458018703340_859587166_n.jpg

Still crying 2004 bitter tears? Get over it.

It was hard losing like that to the Greeks, you say bitter tears but if you were Portuguese and had been around the country during the whole of Euro, I think your opinion would be different. TL:DR is that we all think we played great football, the nation was in a state of union like I don't think we had ever seen, we shared the same thoughts, beliefs, and knew we could win it from the beginning. Of course it was heartbreaking to lose in the final. Lots of people I know still get very upset when they remember the final. It's specially hard when you were beaten by a team that... well, you know how Greece performed, and how lucky they were sometimes, and they were far from being good technically. It was hardly a display of what is usually a tournament winnning team.

Obviously Greece had its merits, and to me football is just that, football, and they won for a reason. They certainly weren't inferior in the final, and they had a huge heart - just like you're seeing today in 2012. They were fair winners. I just think 'bitter tears' is thrown around here way too much. Sometimes you gotta live something from the inside to understand why some people make some comments. Yes we're all bitter to some degree (I'm not, but we as a country are) but we have a good reason to not want Greece. It just brings back bad memories for everyone.

Big-E

Not looking good with Greece through. Last time Greece made it through and Italy needed help to get through, the tournament ended in disaster. Italy would have saved the world back then.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Sign of the cross goes left to right not right to left. Must be Zeus version.

Left to right is for Roman Catholics and Anglicanism

Right to left is Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics...

Not looking good with Greece through. Last time Greece made it through and Italy needed help to get through, the tournament ended in disaster. Italy would have saved the world back then.

Italy's fate is still in its own hands...the only thing that knocks them out is a high score draw 2-2 or above. Italy just has to win...Both Spain and Croatia will be playing to win...

It was hard losing like that to the Greeks, you say bitter tears but if you were Portuguese and had been around the country during the whole of Euro, I think your opinion would be different. TL:DR is that we all think we played great football, the nation was in a state of union like I don't think we had ever seen, we shared the same thoughts, beliefs, and knew we could win it from the beginning. Of course it was heartbreaking to lose in the final. Lots of people I know still get very upset when they remember the final. It's specially hard when you were beaten by a team that... well, you know how Greece performed, and how lucky they were sometimes, and they were far from being good technically. It was hardly a display of what is usually a tournament winnning team.
I understand your sadness but the Greek team beat the Portuguese one twice in that tournament, both in the premiere and in the final and the Greeks did not want to win the Euro any less than the Portuguese. So there's no question if they deserved to win the Euro, they clearly showed that Portugal did not have what it takes to beat them.

Fast forward to 2012, though, Greece is a far inferior team to the 2004 one, but they at least fight with everything they got. 99% Germany will eliminate Greece and everything for the haters will be back to normal. But they are already winners, they exceeded expectations even by getting this far while other supposedly better teams will not go past the stage groups.

Yep has I said, they were fair winners. Specially because they beat us twice. The whole country were hoping we'd have learned from the first game's mistakes, and then use out technical advantage to get a win. As it turned out... Nop.

IceCold

Yep has I said, they were fair winners. Specially because they beat us twice. The whole country were hoping we'd have learned from the first game's mistakes, and then use out technical advantage to get a win. As it turned out... Nop.

I felt bad for guys like Figo and Rui Costa. They deserved to win something the (senior) national team

spidye

hahal lol awesome work :D i know what you mean, Gomez strikes me as a guy who's so talented he never really had to learn the basics. It's really frustrating at times, he could easily be one of the best players in the world if it wasnt for those failures you pointed out. It's crazy to think that the guy in these gifs is the same guy that scored the first goal against the Netherlands...

I know that an in form Klose could elevate the level of the team BUT nobody knows what his current form is and so far we didnt win shit with him (well same can be said for Bayern and Gomez). All i know is that Gomez can go on ridiculous hot streaks and that we should ride this streak as long as we can. Sorry if i overreact sometimes, but it's really hard to tell if you are just hating on him because he's a Bayern player (like certrain other posters) or trying to fairly criticise him, now i know that it's the latter.

But please tell me i didnt imagine things when i called Gladbach a defensive team. Am i starting to lose it?

edit: actually after lookin at these gifs a couple of more time, they arent even that bad (for his standards) he can be far worse than that! ;)
yeah, and he can be better than that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly8V3WbOogA
look at kroos goal. both passes came from gomez. picking two scenes from a game where everyone was at best average is not the best idea to prove a point. besides of schweini's passes there was not one decent attack or pass from the supposedly best young CAM, podolski or müller.

poisonelf

Ah, I knew I'd find rivers of bitter tears to laugh at here. Was not disappointed. Thank you Dutch people for your support, we love you just the same!

I'm not even into soccer at all, but it was satisfying to watch our team win over that disgusting ridiculous ref.

They played with passion, and fuck all the haters. Yeah, you, insulting, crying and moaning. Fuck you.

The match with our brotherly friends the Germans should be fun.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Now all of Russia knows how the Portuguese felt when Greece lucked out in 2004.

This is one of the worse teams in Europe to watch play, they foul, cheat, dive and park the bus their way to improbable wins.

Fuck it, i would love to see the pre-game press warmup to a Germany-Greece game in the next round.

Greece ----------------------- Russia
5(2) ----------- Shots (on target) -------------- 25(10)
8 ----------- Fouls ----------- 14
5----------- Corner Kicks ----------- 12
1----------- Offsides ----------- 0
38%----------- Possession----------- 62%
2-----------Yellow Cards----------- 4
0-----------Red Cards-----------0
5-----------Saves ----------- 0

No team with the stats Russia had today deserves to win. Greece was very efficient and they were better behaved than Russia too.

Great result for Greece last night.

Let that be used an inspiration for Holland players and give them even more belief in what they're out to achieve tonight.

Holland! Believe!

hylje

To honor the theme of this tourney, I'm going with following predictions:

Netherlands 3 - Portugal 1

Denmark 0 - Germany 0

Let's jinx this GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom