• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Wait, someone explain this to me. Since the Greeks advance not by goal difference, but by simply beating the Russians, then why do the Dutch still have a shot when they already lost to the Danes?
3 way tie with Netherlands Denmark and Portugal all having 3 points in that scenario.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, someone explain this to me. Since the Greeks advance not by goal difference, but by simply beating the Russians, then why do the Dutch still have a shot when they already lost to the Danes?

Because Portugal beat Denmark and if the Dutch win tomorrow then they will have beaten Portugal, which means the head-to-head gets thrown out since it's a triangle (assuming Germany beats Denmark to leave them all tied at 3 points). So they would have to get by on goals.

Gomez will surely be great against that defense (.......) and we might miss Badstuber if he will be awarded his second yellow vs. Denmark.

evilwart

3 way tie with Netherlands Denmark and Portugal all having 3 points in that scenario.

If Netherlands beat Portugal and Germany beat Denmark...

Germany - 9
Netherlands - 3
Portugal - 3
Denmark 3

Head to Head, they all beat one and lost one so its all square and thus (I think) goes to Goal Difference, which would depend on how much Netherlands wins by and Denmark loses by.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder what Eggman has to say about all of this! :D

Russia were awful in the second half. They deserve to go out for that performance.
Greece were awful for the entire Group A round. But hey, we'll probably get a Germany-Greece game out of this, so that should be fun.

Karagounis seems to have been given a new lease of life. The Greeks owe a huge debt to him, but I'm not sure he'll be playing against Germany as he's apparently found these games particularly taxing. He's really bailed them out though.

Don't worry. We have lots of Bayern players, somehow we'll end up second tomorrow.

Hey, at least Lewandowski's/Kuba's/Piszczek's agent will stfu for a while..
(I hope)

/edit

Karagounis seems to have been given a new lease of life. The Greeks owe a huge debt to him, but I'm not sure he'll be playing against Germany as he's apparently found these games particularly taxing. He's really bailed them out though.

He'll miss the game (2 yellow cards)

Firemind

Because Portugal beat Denmark and if the Dutch win tomorrow then they will have beaten Portugal, which means the head-to-head gets thrown out since it's a triangle (assuming Germany beats Denmark to leave them all tied at 3 points). So they would have to get by on goals.

But didn't Russia beat Czech Republic who also have 4 points total?

fuenf

Gomez will surely be great against that defense (.......) and we might miss Badstuber if he will be awarded his second yellow vs. Denmark.

But Russia / Barca already proved that the striker doesnt matter against these defensive teams. :( It just sucks, 4-4-2 could be interesting against them, though. Might sound crazy but i hate this "playing around the penalty area crap." Put Özil on the LW, Gomez and Klose in the penalty area and only cross ball.

I want to like Greece, but that time play was disgraceful.
Not defending them, because it just piss poor sportsmanship; But, so many teams pull crap like that. It doesn't only show the lack of class from the Greeks as much as it is just football in general. I honestly don't see a sub in the 90th minute being that much classier than what the Greek player did. It's all time wasting and if the ref does his job properly it shouldn't really effect the game too much because time will be added properly. Even if it is extra-time being wasted then extra time should be added to that as well, which in most cases we do see from a ref.

Linius

Don't worry. We have lots of Bayern players, somehow we'll end up second tomorrow.
gXh5N.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
What´s with this anti Greece sentiment here? They won this tournament in 2004 you know.

Some label them with the term "anti-football" as they look to defend stoutly rather than be at all adventurous or attack with creativity.

I hate the term. Football is football. Defending the way they do is a legitamate tactic and just look at the group table now - sometimes it does the job.

Hey, at least Lewandowski's/Kuba's/Piszczek's agent will stfu for a while..
(I hope)

It sucks that they're out but Piszczek looked kind of tired at the Euro, maybe we benefit from it... For Lewandowski, well, wouldn't surprise me if his agent tells that the team was too bad for Lewy. Although there's some truth in it.

CrunchyB

It's because it would be a 3-way tie and Portugal beat Denmark, Holland beat Portugal. No way to resolve that (thanks Portugal!) So we need to compare goals.

Edit: beaten, of course

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't remind me of that date!

Anyway, I prefer Greece to Poland especially since we'll get the Spanish card-maniac as ref tomorrow.
We are?! Yessssss.
Well, him handing out cards like crazy was kind of entertaining in a "I can't believe he's really doing this" way.

Ok, Just to fuck with everything, and because it happened today. I'm flipping my predictions.

Group B
Denmark
Portugal
Germany
Netherlands

Group C
Ireland (Thought they were out?! Wildcard bitches!)
Croatia
Italy
Spain

Group D
Sweden (The stuff that dreams are made of)
Ukraine
England
France

Ireland to win Euro 2012.

danwarb

If you're not a great passing side, people hate you for trying to win games.

I'd be happy with that if I were a Greece supporter.

But Russia / Barca already proved that the striker doesnt matter against these defensive teams. :( It just sucks, 4-4-2 could be interesting against them, though. Might sound crazy but i hate this "playing around the penalty area crap." Put Özil on the LW, Gomez and Klose in the penalty area and only cross ball.
You need someone up front who's able to play football vs. those teams. That's why Spain used Fabregas vs. Italy.
------------Reus-----------
Özil------Kroos-------Götze

would probably be the best possible formation (if they were used to each other and there was no hierarchy in the team, etc.)

/having said that Klose would obviously be better than Gomez for that match, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom