• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Real friendship lasts forerver :)

iJbirxglC74fk.gif
iKyXhTOpjgNj3.gif
AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW

sneaky77

He is awesome, but I think I know why he doesn't play. Del Bosque isn't starting with true wingers, and since the starting players seem to prefer short passes over crosses, Llorente wouldn't work as well in the current tactic.
He is a pure striker who has excellent positioning and finishing - particularly on headers which is why you need to field a good winger as well. He isn't the type of player that can provide what Fabregas does in a false 9 position, nor does he have the pace to create the chances that Torres can make (and subsequently miss).

I am hoping Del Bosque will grow some balls and play with only one holding midfield, pull Iniesta back into the midfield, play with Pedro and Navas/Mata on the wings, and Llorente in the center.

Of course this will never happen, but maybe he will at least start Pedro or Navas in the final.

True.. but when you put Navas or Pedro in the game you need to find a way to add Llorente to the mix

IceCold

Keep in mind this quote from goal.com so odds are Ronaldo said the exact opposite:

"I was going to take the fifth penalty but we missed two," Ronaldo told reporters. "It was just a question of me speaking with the coach. He said to me: 'Do you want to take the fifth one?' and I said 'yes'.

"Sometimes I take the first, the second or the third. I agreed to take the fifth.

"I hope Spain win the tournament now because I have a lot friends there and I play there and it will be a tough final for them.

"It felt very normal playing against Real Madrid players. On the pitch we are not friends, but outside we are."

Ronaldo admitted that losing on penalties was difficult to take, but said that he believes Portugal have had a good tournament.

"I feel sad. Losing a semi-final in the penalty shoot-out is always painful, but it is a lottery: the luckier side wins," he told SIC.

"I think it was a good tournament on our part. We did very well. We are amongst the best four teams in Europe and the only reason we do not reach the final is because we were not lucky.

"We have to be proud of what we did, but we are a bit frustrated because we know we could reach the final.

"I gave my best, so I am satisfied with that I did. We deserved to be in the final, but we were not lucky."

World Cup 2006 Germany vs Italy 0-2

My god... this game was fucking crazy.

I never forget exactly where I was and who I was with during that match, it's amazing how some games just engraved in your memory forever, that was truly a heartbreaking match, 119th minute Germany decides to fall apart.

As a child I even remember the Mexico 1986 finals ( yeah I am that old) Argentine vs Germany, I cried as a little kid, it was such an intense game.

Speaking of Germany vs Argentine, all I've been doing is watching Germany International and Euro clips on YT the last half hour. So hyped for tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEaXgCQ61A&feature=related

Can't believe how well they played against ARG. two years ago, Schweinsteiger's run (third goal) was just crazy stupid! I expect nothin less for tomorrow's match, c'mon Germany!

Fry

it's amazing how some games just engraved in your memory forever, that was truly a heartbreaking match, 119th minute Germany decides to fall apart.

That's true, I remember many matches and who I was watching them with like it was yesterday.

By the way, I had to GIF that Schweinsteiger assist. Man of the fucking match!!!

ibje1SQhgAfK1J.gif

ps: I miss the vuvuzelas.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
That's true, I remember many matches and who I was watching them with like it was yesterday.

By the way, I had to GIF that Schweinsteiger assist. Man of the fucking match!!!

ibje1SQhgAfK1J.gif

ps: I miss the vuvuzelas.

shit, I don't want to be reminded of that.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Best quote from the Dutch commentator last night at full-time as they were showing the stats; "Casillas could've been subbed for a chair, as Portugal shot 0 times on target."

hylje

Portuguese team has young group and they'll get new chance in couple years. What strike me was Pepe, whom seem to have grown up a little.

Agalloch

I think (obviously it's not easy) that Italy can beat Spain in the final, and for Germany it can be harder...but the problem is that against Germany this time for Italy is gonna be really hard, i see the Germans as a favourite, even if with Italy anything can happen.

Socreges

Banned
"I feel sad. Losing a semi-final in the penalty shoot-out is always painful, but it is a lottery: the luckier side wins," he told SIC.

"I think it was a good tournament on our part. We did very well. We are amongst the best four teams in Europe and the only reason we do not reach the final is because we were not lucky.

"We have to be proud of what we did, but we are a bit frustrated because we know we could reach the final.

"I gave my best, so I am satisfied with that I did. We deserved to be in the final, but we were not lucky."
iGh03e0POxoRC.gif

Feature

Banned
Ronaldo and his selfish shooting really gets too me. If he would pass it more and not try shooting from the other side of the pitch, portugal might have a chance at winning something.

and Injustica my ass, spain had the best chances, hands down.

Hackbert

whoever meets spain on sunday: please beat them. And don´t dare you say spain hater ^^. i just want too see the title in another country this year. And yeah, i don´t think spain looks like the dominant WC winner of ´10 anymore.

Socreges

Banned
Ronaldo and his selfish shooting really gets too me. If he would pass it more and not try shooting from the other side of the pitch, portugal might have a chance at winning something.

and Injustica my ass, spain had the best chances, hands down.
His selfishness is often the reason why Madrid/Portugal have had the success that they've had, though. Double-edged sword. If he was as smart as he is skilled, and could make the right pass at the right moment (like great midfielders do), he'd be devastating.

kottila

In the last 10 penalty shootouts from EC/WC, all of them has been decided before the 10the penalty, so putting your star player in that spot isn't the smartest decision.

Raist

Banned
Well that was a good game overall. Portugal really tried and deserved teh win.

Is there any "most obnoxious jerk" award given by FIFA? Alonso should totally get it. What an asshole.

Now hoping for Germany to go through tonight and punish the spaniards on Sunday.

Schlaaaaand!

Socreges

Banned
Both diving and commiting horrible fouls. He's got quite an annoying behaviour as well generally. Always one of the first to shout and whine at the refs.
Hyperbole, thy name is Raist.

Has your village been visited recently by Conquistadors or something?

For the record, Pepe is the eternal and unrivaled incumbent for the cleverly titled "most obnoxious jerk" award.

Raist

Banned
Hyperbole, thy name is Raist.

Has your village been visited recently by Conquistadors or something?

For the record, Pepe is the eternal and unrivaled incumbent for the cleverly titled "most obnoxious jerk" award.

Guess we haven't seen the same game. And yeah, Pepe is quite bad as well, never said he's A-OK. But Alonso was ridiculous last night.

Bento didn't make the best use of his subs and didn't put his best players to shoot first in the PKs

like Ronaldo, you should use him 3rd or 4th... like how Nani was 3rd but not mother fuckin' 5th!!!

PKs PKs PKs gah

better luck in 2014

Raist

Banned

Yeah, my bad.
He should share the award with Busquets :p.

Heh, just noticed Cabaye's face when he gets the card. "Wut? Hum, ok whatever"

Bento didn't make the best use of his subs and didn't put his best players to shoot first in the PKs

like Ronaldo, you should use him 3rd or 4th... like how Nani was 3rd but not mother fuckin' 5th!!!

PKs PKs PKs gah

better luck in 2014

Yeah I really don't get why he kept 2 subs for so long. Portugal looked very tired during ET and the guy was like "no worries, I'll put new players in within the lst 10mins".

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
What I saw was Spain being neutralized in the first 90 minutes.

Its like they aren't used to such high pressure from the adversaries. They looked weak without the tiki tak or whatever they call it. As many people say, they lack depth.

still, congratulations for the penalty kick victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom