• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Here when we organized the Euro 2004, a German stabbed a person on the street when they tied against Latvia. It wouldn't be wise to pick that sample size and say Germans are criminals, would it?

It's impossible to to represent the whole neighbourhood.

I live in the Portuguese neighbourhood and I've seen plenty of obnoxious and downright stupid fans. I'm not saying all of them are like that, but there's a noticeable group.

Wellscha

In a parallel universe:
v7XBo.jpg

I approve.

As a casual/neutral observer of todays game... I have to say that was the single worst match ive ever seen. Boring game.

Pass the ball around Spain, and then every 15 seconds a whistle gets blown for someone doing a fake injury. O brother

2MF

It's impossible to to represent the whole neighbourhood.

I live in the Portuguese neighbourhood and I've seen plenty of obnoxious and downright stupid fans. I'm not saying all of them are like that, but there's a noticeable group.

I can tell you that when Portugal organized the Euro 2004 and lost in the finals against Greece, we were partying with the Greek fans on the streets. After losing, yes...

So there you go.

Booya

Neo Member
Well I edited my post a bit to add more stuff.
Anyway, I was living in London during 2006 and man, I'm gonna keep the racist slurs out because I know those were just fucking idiots like there always are no matter the country, but I assure you the german community was really over confident. As for this Euro, I guess it started with non-germans pumping your team by not even aknowledging the semi's game ("Germany is gonna crash Spain in the final") and it caught up a bit with you guys trashtalking and bringin' up the revenge thingie... or at least that what I gatherd from reading comments over the internet/GAF and speaking with a few friends of mine living in Munich/Berlin.

You have every right to be proud, Germany has been playing the best international football since WC 2010.
I'd definitely root for you, loud, in the final even if you happen to steamroll us in tomorrow's game!

There's no such rivalry here, actually you'll find most italians love Portugal as a Country, feel very friendly to the people and even feel simpathy over the team and casually root for them.
Portuguese players in Serie A have also a history of being beloved.

Fair enough. I can imagine if I'd be studying abroad and hang out with different communities the trash talk would reach a big lvl. That surely can piss someone off.
Also, of course there are always sour eggs that yell this stuff just for the trolling. The fact of the matter was that a lot of people were very positivly suprised and acknowledged italys good playing style after their first match V spain. Heck, i laughingly betted against Italy in that match and had to admin how terribly wrong i was, because they played good in both ways (entertainment and efficiency).
Of course, this being a forum, even though a very friendly one, things heat up. Remembering the world championship topic two years ago things went a lot worse. Still, I must admit, I'm delighted to see how many user from different nations like germany.
So, Munich and Berlin obviously will have trolls taunting a 3-0, we surely have those too, but maybe it's the fact that we folks up north are a bit more cynical, maybe i just had luck with the friends i watch the games, but i havent encountered many jerks (luckily).

To point out the obvious to the spain / portugal thingy. They have an art to play thats effective but to a lot of viewers boring. They are winning so they wont stop with this, even if there is critique coming from spanish media itself.
This being neogaf, we have lots of countries that are unsure who to root for. They root for the most entertainment rather than efficiancy. This makes spanish fans a minority. Neogaf nags, spanish fans log on happily after their match won a game and get confronted with a wall of hate. They react.
Imagine if this topic would be a big room of people watching a game. A minority of spanish speakers want to be happy and the rest sighs a collective "ughhhh-notto-disso-shitto-againo". You either stay silent (dont post) or get a bit angry. So I understand spanish-gaf a bit.
On the other hand...
well..
i honestly fell asleep today during the match...
so..
thers that..

I can't make up my mind about this EURO.
The manager/coach inside of me loves it because of the tactical flexibilities shown and the high quality of strategy, composure and balance between offense and defense shown by teams like Germany, Spain, Italy and also Portugal.

But the fan inside of me hates this EURO that lacks spectacle, shows very defensive and safe play and blames Chealsea London's surprise CL win with its games against Bayern and Barcelona for this new style. Can't even get excited to root for Germany as soon as I see Gomez as striker and their new found focus on ball possession instead of creating chances with high risk - high reward counter-attacking and dashing runs. Ughh...

No stars left to root for, no beautiful play to root for... fuck this EURO!

sneaky77

DerZuhälter;39307814 said:
The manager/coach inside of me loves it because of the tactical flexibilities shown and the high quality of strategy, composure and balance between offense and defense shown by teams like Germany, Spain, Italy and also Portugal.

But the fan inside of me hates this EURO that lacks spectacle, shows very defensive and safe play and blames Chealsea London's surprise CL win with its games against Bayern and Barcelona for this new style. Can't even get excited to root for Germany as soon as I see Gomez as striker and their new found focus on ball possession instead of creating chances with high risk - high reward counter-attacking and dashing runs. Ughh...

Chelsea didn't discover much.. 8 yrs ago Greece won the Euro with that same style.

rodvik

Thats because club football is always better than national team football. The Euros and world cup are just a bit of lower quality fun in between the league seasons.

Really? The group stage was of great quality, the knockout matches afterwards are always much more defensive minded, that's what happens at every damn tournament (look no further than all Spains 1-0 wins at the world cup)

Chelsea didn't discover much.. 8 yrs ago Greece won the Euro with that same style.

and many many before that also used the style of adapting to the opponent and completely shutting them down. Of course other teams could get inspired by the recent success though.

Thats because club football is always better than national team football. The Euros and world cup are just a bit of lower quality fun in between the league seasons.

The truth bomb right here.

fuenf

You are overlooking the fact that this play style is mostly dictated by our opponents. Germany cant counter-attack if the opponent doesnt come out of his half. You are just romanticizing the 2010 WC and the Euro qualifiers against far worse teams. Just look at the 2010 semi vs. Spain, the game was a snoozefest... i can only remember the one Kroos chance in the end. Where was the fast paced counter-attack? yeah, it was non existent because Spain didnt let us. You mean the England and Argentinia game with high risk - high reward football, but no it wasn high risk at all. In both games Germany got to an early lead and could sit back, so far there hasnt been a similar situation in any of the games.

Both Portugal and Denmark concentrated on defense. The Spain - Portugal semi should've proved that Portugal definitely was one of the best teams in the competition and that they arent likely to concede a goal. So far we've faced only one mediocre team and guess what we scored 4 goals.

spidye

You are overlooking the fact that this play style is mostly dictated by our opponents. Germany cant counter-attack if the opponent doesnt come out of his half. You are just romanticizing the 2010 WC and the Euro qualifiers against far worse teams. Just look at the 2010 semi vs. Spain, the game was a snoozefest... i can only remember the one Kroos chance in the end. Where was the fast paced counter-attack? yeah, it was non existent because Spain didnt let us. You mean the England and Argentinia game with high risk - high reward football, but no it wasn high risk at all. In both games Germany got to an early lead and could sit back, so far there hasnt been a similar situation in any of the games.

Both Portugal and Denmark concentrated on defense and the Spain - Portugal semi should've proved that Portugal definitely was one of the best teams in the competition and that they arent likely to concede a goal. So far we've faced only one mediocre team and guess what we scored 4 goals.

excellent, excellent post.
chapeau

Both Portugal and Denmark concentrated on defense. The Spain - Portugal semi should've proved that Portugal definitely was one of the best teams in the competition and that they arent likely to concede a goal. So far we've faced only one mediocre team and guess what we scored 4 goals.

Are you complaining because Spain didn't let you counter-attack?

Sell it however you want. This goddamn possession style of Barca and Spain snuck into this 2012 team. I'm not romanticizing anything, I've just recently watched the Argentine as well as the England match from the WC. There is a clear tendency visible of keeping possession after sucessfull tackles in the midfield instead of quickly taking up pace and moving play forward.
The movement forward is surely more controlled this way but opponents get enough time to sort their defensive lines... which as already detailed look Chelsea-ish in this tournament (closing down the middle, leaving space at sides for 1v1 and low-quality chances by early crosses or shot attempts from far away).

The Spain vs Germany EC 08 / WC 10 are completely beside the point, because in both games Germany was clearly outclassed and had no possession to begin with. Not even going to mention Spain's nearly perfect movement on the pitch without the ball if they play themselves in a rush... they snuff out nearly every mid-range low pass, making only passes back to the goalkeeper, the fullbacks or long balls (which were easy catches for Pique/Puyol back then) possible.

DerZuhälter wants to see fast paced, counter-attacking football. All i'm saying is that Germany cant play like that anymore because the opponentts wont let them, just like Spain in 2010.

Yeah but I don't get why it was Spain who didn't let Germany attack. I think it was Germany's fault if anyones?

sneaky77

Yeah but I don't get why it was Spain who didn't let Germany attack. I think it was Germany's fault if anyones?

It just saying that because of the way spain plays possession germany didn't have the chance to do the counter attack game that was so effective against Argentina.. is not putting fault in anyone is just talking about different tactics.

Buzzati

Banned
I had been posting from my iPhone, what happened?

SHOULD I DARE CHECK IT OUT?!
Nah, probably not, lol.

People need to be more mature, even if it's football we're discussing and emotions tend to overtake reason. Both teams could have gone through, they scored, we didn't.

It's a GAF football thread. Predictably, 4 or 5 people talk about the actual sport and the rest is a bunch of superficial bullshit from people who think they're ambassadors of the country they're rooting for.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash we missed you <3

I'm so shitting my pants for tomorrow, hopefully Balotelli or Marchisio will wake up and score.

Haha, thanks buddy <3
I'll go back to retirement from footie-GAF once again after the final tho ;)
One of Marchisio's GOLDELLAMADONNA would make me jizz hard, hope he kept one saved just for tomorrow

Hieberrr

OP is trying to say that counter attacking relies on the fact that the opponents defence is pull forward instead of playing back.

I'd also like to add that post 2010, from what I can tell anyways, Germany has pretty much changed philosophies and has pretty much left counter-attacking-oriented football.

keit4

Banned
In the final Del Bosque should ditch Silva and Xavi and start with Pedro, Cesc and Torres/Llorente. Something like this:

Pedro-------Cesc-----------Iniesta

---------Torres/Llorente-----------

considering that Del Bosque won't remove the double pivot :/

sneaky77

In the final Del Bosque should ditch Silva and Xavi and start with Pedro, Cesc and Torres/Llorente. Something like this:

Pedro-------Cesc-----------Iniesta

---------Torres/Llorente-----------

considering that Del Bosque won't remove the double pivot :/

I agree with Llorente and doing that... but Del Bosque is too stubborn or maybe he dislikes Llorente because he's too pretty

rififi

llorente is awesome, i can't believe he doesn't play. i assumed he was hurt or something with jokers like torres and negredo playing.

He is awesome, but I think I know why he doesn't play. Del Bosque isn't starting with true wingers, and since the starting players seem to prefer short passes over crosses, Llorente wouldn't work as well in the current tactic.
He is a pure striker who has excellent positioning and finishing - particularly on headers which is why you need to field a good winger as well. He isn't the type of player that can provide what Fabregas does in a false 9 position, nor does he have the pace to create the chances that Torres can make (and subsequently miss).

I am hoping Del Bosque will grow some balls and play with only one holding midfield, pull Iniesta back into the midfield, play with Pedro and Navas/Mata on the wings, and Llorente in the center.

Of course this will never happen, but maybe he will at least start Pedro or Navas in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom