• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm proud of my team, okay they fucked up PKs and fell asleep in Extra Time but still, being 3rd place is better than getting whooped during the group stage

cloudyy

Still, taking off Meireles for Varela (I think?) was a dumb dumb decision against a side that had six midfielders on the pitch. Especially since he didn't take a penalty. At that point, Portugal was hanging on by a thread against a rampant Spain.
I agree, at least let Varela take a penalty then.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well I think it's fair for Germans to talk about looking for revenge against Italy.
You guys just need to make it clear what are you actually talking about, which defeat you guys wanna take revenge for, there's just too many of them... hihi :p

Winning streaks are meant to be subverted sooner or later, but I love how every german out there is so sure to whoop Italy's ass 3-0 when they never managed to win a game against us when it counts.
Gonna be an awesome game either way, I reckon we're the underdogs and I'm happy with our performance so far considering we've played 2 out of the TOP4 best matches, gonna root for Germany in the final and hopefully they manage to show an entertaining game despite Spain's antics like we did in the knockout game.

I dunno, I enjoy the Euros and I'm glad we're in the semis but more excited that we're playing good footie with Prandelli but I just don't care that much in the end, not much more than a stop gap to me, bring on Brasil's 2014

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I may be a few pages too late, but why do fans have to turn into complete twats when their team wins? Enough with the brag posts, congratulate the other fans and move on with your life.

Sheesh. You'd think from the vehemence of most of these posts that the poster was on the Spanish team and helped them win. You were sitting on your ass, drinking a beer, and watching the game like the rest of us. Grow up.

sneaky77

I may be a few pages too late, but why do fans have to turn into complete twats when their team wins? Enough with the brag posts, congratulate the other fans and move on with your life.

Sheesh. You'd think from the vehemence of most of these posts that the poster was on the Spanish team and helped them win. You were sitting on your ass, drinking a beer, and watching the game like the rest of us. Grow up.

really? after all the shit being talked about the Spanish team for the last week... a little gloating is not a big fucking deal geez.
and yes you're quite a bit behind since that was right after the game ended and things are back to normal now.

Booya

Neo Member
Well I think it's fair for Germans to talk about looking for revenge against Italy.
You guys just need to make it clear what are you actually talking about, which defeat you guys wanna take revenge for, there's just too many of them...

Winning streaks are meant to be subverted sooner or later, but I love how every german out there is so sure to whoop Italy's ass 3-0 when they *never* managed to win a game against us in a tournament.
Gonna be an awesome game either way, I reckon we're the underdogs and I'm happy with our performance so far considering we've played 2 out of the TOP4 best matches, gonna root for Germany in the final and hopefully they manage to show an entertaining game despite Spain's antics like we did in the knockout game

I don't know what kind of survey you did with.. us? but we have the term Angstgegner for Italy. This is used in press and public and means that you are to us what penalties are to England. No one I know ever talks about a 3-0 and meaning it. But hey, if it comes to this tomorrow I'm gonna be even more suprised and shall sing the song of my people even louder.

I really didnt like Italys gameplay in the last years, now I do. So I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow because i honestly am proud to live in a country that plays entertaining soccer as well. If we both play like we did in the last matches I will be satisfiedly entertained. Imma give you this one too, if you guys win tomorrows i still root for italy in the finals*

*except if you revisit your old playstyle (but i think baloltrolli is too much fun to do this)

Don't read the last few pages :(

What? Do you have a couple of obnoxious Portuguese neighbors or something? That's some wild generalization you're doing there that's just plain not true, we're usually humble and aware of our limitations. Maybe you're confusing our passion for something else.

welcome to Toronto. Every Portuguese person I know is obnoxious when it comes to football. The most annoying by far. I'm really enjoying this loss

rvy

Banned
I was thinking the same thing. But does that make Messi Kobe?

Good question. I'll say this, I don't think he's Jordan.

ib1jULfllgtTJx.jpg

Look at Ronaldo, all grown up and acting like a man. This Euro has been good, even if we didn't win shit like usual.

RJT

Really entertaining match, even if there weren't that many chances. The teams are clearly on the same level. Only one of them could go through, though, and it turned out to be Spain. Congrats to nuestros hermanos, and congrats to the portuguese team also. They did better than I expexted.

It was a fun Euro. Hopefully no more matches are decided on penalties. I love you guys. That's all I wanted to say.

yes, I'm a little bit drunk

tirant

It's you who should grow up. This is all for fun. No one takes it seriously.

Incredibly boring match -_-, at the end even decided with the lottery of penalty kicks. I can't believe how here in Spain a lot people are amazed of Spain's performance, my god..

sneaky77

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

What if you open the door first?

Incredibly boring match -_-, at the end even decided with the lottery of penalty kicks. I can't believe how here in Spain a lot people are amazed of Spain's performance, my god..

3 finals in a row? only 1 goal against? a crapload of official matches unbeaten? Sure the game today wasn't the most amazing performance, until the last 20 minutes or so.. but thats still quite the accomplishment.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's you who should grow up. This is all for fun. No one takes it seriously.

Some people do. Just because you're having fun and egging someone on doesn't mean he's not super depressed that his team lost.

Edit: Ever since Holland got kicked out I haven't really had a team to root for, I'm just saying it sucks when it happens to you so be considerate of others.

Good question. I'll say this, I don't think he's Jordan.

Look at Ronaldo, all grown up and acting like a man. This Euro has been good, even if we didn't win shit like usual.

I had a dislike for Ronaldo before the Euros, but I really started to appreciate him. First off he's an absolute amazing player, his ball controll is insane and physically he's a demi-god, the size-speed-strength combo Ronaldo possesses is unparalleled in soccer and maybe all of sports.

Plus just like LBJ , it looks like he has grown personally. I hoped Portugal would have reached the finals, just to see Ronaldo play one more game.

feel

welcome to Toronto. Every Portuguese person I know is obnoxious when it comes to football. The most annoying by far. I'm really enjoying this loss
Fair enough, I can understand that. Living in Venezuela I've had to deal with my fair share of overly confident Italians and Spanish.

All the Spanish and Italians guys that are actually my friends are super cool in both victory and defeat though.

Italy and Portugal fans in Toronto have some serious rivalry. It's pure hatred for many. My cousins in Italy don't really say anything bad about Portugal. So I don't know what it is here that makes the hate between the two sides so strong. I wish we could all get along. I blame the Portuguese.

lol

Both sides have obnoxious fans. Both can be so damn loud.

My only problem with many Portuguese fans here is the whole Brasil connection. I know the history, but I find it amusing that during world cups when Portugal is eliminated they just bust out the Brasil flag and are so in your face that BRASIL IS THE BEST HAHAH YOU SUCK!!! :/

I'd have more respect if you hung both flags from the start and not just when Portugal is eliminated. And show some pride and keep the damn flag up till the tournament is over. The second they are eliminated the flag comes down and Brasil goes up. I invite you all to my house to witness this first hand by my neighbors. I wish I took before and after pics because the Portugal flag has already been taken down. Lol. I know this isn't all Portuguese people. I'm using my neighbors as an example but I also went to school with a few like this too.

But no really we should all just get along. I joke around but some people take it way too far. Most who probably are barely even Portuguese/Italian. It's funny.

Dash Kappei

I don't know what kind of survey you did with.. us? but we have the term Angstgegner for Italy. This is used in press and public and means that you are to us what penalties are to England. No one I know ever talks about a 3-0 and meaning it. But hey, if it comes to this tomorrow I'm gonna be even more suprised and shall sing the song of my people even louder.

I really didnt like Italys gameplay in the last years, now I do. So I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow because i honestly am proud to live in a country that plays entertaining soccer as well. If we both play like we did in the last matches I will be satisfiedly entertained. Imma give you this one too, if you guys win tomorrows i still root for italy in the finals*

*except if you revisit your old playstyle (but i think baloltrolli is too much fun to do this)

Well I edited my post a bit to add more stuff.
Anyway, I was living in London during 2006 and man, I'm gonna keep the racist slurs out because I know those were just fucking idiots like there always are no matter the country, but I assure you the german community was really over confident. As for this Euro, I guess it started with non-germans pumping your team by not even aknowledging the semi's game ("Germany is gonna crash Spain in the final") and it caught up a bit with you guys trashtalking and bringin' up the revenge thingie... or at least that what I gatherd from reading comments over the internet/GAF and speaking with a few friends of mine living in Munich/Berlin.

You have every right to be proud, Germany has been playing the best international football since WC 2010.
I'd definitely root for you, loud, in the final even if you happen to steamroll us in tomorrow's game!

cryesofthepast said:
Italy and Portugal fans in Toronto have some serious rivalry. It's pure hatred for many. My cousins in Italy don't really say anything bad about Portugal.

There's no such rivalry here, actually you'll find most italians love Portugal as a Country, feel very friendly to the people and even feel simpathy over the team and casually root for them.
Portuguese players in Serie A have also a history of being beloved.

I was rooting for Portugal

I'm tired of those super praising spanish papers, they forget that they never won anything before 2008.

I will root for Germany too if we don't make it through tomorrow

Congratulations to Portugal because they were a great team today, and They only lost because of the penalty kicks. Anybody could have won today.

And also thanks to Spain for ebing so awesome and being in three consecutive finals. Whatever happens on sunday, I'll never forget this.

3 finals in a row? only 1 goal against? a crapload of official matches unbeaten? Sure the game today wasn't the most amazing performance, until the last 20 minutes or so.. but thats still quite the accomplishment.

I was talking about today's match. But also I think that except the match against France which I really enjoyed, the rest have been kind of meh. Today we have to thank that our peninsular brothers ;) who were also very sloppy. Both Spain or Portugal deserved to pass to the final
and yes, I hate PK with passion
. We'll see tomorrow who will face Spain the Saturday, but I really hope they play at least at the level of France's match.

IceCold

Italy and Portugal fans in Toronto have some serious rivalry. It's pure hatred for many. My cousins in Italy don't really say anything bad about Portugal. So I don't know what it is here that makes the hate between the two sides so strong. I wish we could all get along. I blame the Portuguese.

lol

Both sides have obnoxious fans. Both can be so damn loud.

My only problem with many Portuguese fans here is the whole Brasil connection. I know the history, but I find it amusing that during world cups when Portugal is eliminated they just bust out the Brasil flag and are so in your face that BRASIL IS THE BEST HAHAH YOU SUCK!!! :/

I'd have more respect if you hung both flags from the start and not just when Portugal is eliminated. And show some pride and keep the damn flag up till the tournament is over. The second they are eliminated the flag comes down and Brasil goes up. I invite you all to my house to witness this first hand by my neighbors. I wish I took before and after pics because the Portugal flag has already been taken down. Lol. I know this isn't all Portuguese people. I'm using my neighbors as an example but I also went to school with a few like this too.

But no really we should all just get along. I joke around but some people take it way too far. Most who probably are barely even Portuguese/Italian. It's funny.

There are few reasons for this:

1) Italians tend to be loud by nature. Much louder than the Portuguese in average situations and this usually ticks people off, and I'm talking about pretty much everyone. Rarely do you see non-Italians support Italy due to their fans. But added to the fact that culturally the Italians and Portuguese people are similar, they butt heads often. The ironic thing is that there are a lot Portuguese-Italian couples out there.

2) About Brazil. Some do it, some don't. You have to understand the context. Portugal never really had a strong presence in the WC before. Due to this, and to enjoy the WC many chose to support Brazil due to historical ties. Personally I don't do it. The only people I know who do it know are 1-2 chicks who are more interested in the attractiveness of football players than the sport itself. So I don't really care. I even know one Italian dude that supports Brazil because he hates how Italy plays..

3) Remember that we are talking about emigrants here. They don't behave like actual Portuguese people in Portugal and typically are of lower class. I don't think you guys would appreciate it if I'd equal the Jersey Shore/Guido mentality to all Italians.

Dash Kappei

1) Italians tend to be loud by nature. Much louder than the Portuguese in average situations and this usually ticks people off, and I'm talking about pretty much everyone. Rarely do you see non-Italians support Italy due to their fans. But added to the fact that culturally the Italians and Portuguese people are similar, they butt heads often. The ironic thing is that there are a lot Portuguese-Italian couples out there.

2) About Brazil. Some do it, some don't. You have to understand the context. Portugal never really had a strong presence in the WC before. Due to this, and to enjoy the WC many chose to support Brazil due to historical ties. Personally I don't do it. The only people I know who do it know are 1-2 chicks who are more interested in the attractiveness of football players than the sport itself. So I don't really care. I even know one Italian dude that supports Brazil because he hates how Italy plays..

3) Remember that we are talking about emigrants here. They don't behave like actual Portuguese people in Portugal and typically are of lower class. I don't think you guys would appreciate it if I'd equal the Jersey Shore/Guido mentality to all Italians.

Oh my, so much ignorance in this post.
Italian-americans = italians
Jersey Shore/Guido mentality is a Jersey thing, doesn't exist in Italy mate.

IceCold

Oh my, so much ignorance in this post.
Italian-americans = italians
Jersey Shore/Guido mentality is a Jersey thing, doesn't exist in Italy mate.

Italian-Americans don't represent Italians at all. Especially since most are from Southern-Italy/Sicily, and can't even speak Italian.Italians from Italy do.

Which is why I mentioned the Guido culture.

Hieberrr

THIS. After Portugal's last win, stupid young fans took a flag and tried to open the little window on the bus' ceiling. Literally taking the pole and just banging on it and acting like baboons. Fucking idiots.

Dash Kappei

Italian-Americans don't represent Italians at all. Especially since most are from Southern-Italy/Sicily, and can't even speak Italian.Italians from Italy do.

Which is why I mentioned the Guido culture.

Exactly, then you agree the "obnoxious loudness" you speak off is not something that you can tie down to italians per se, unless we're talking about some of South Italy (and some socially problematic parts of Lazio) and such. But then you can find those in every culture, being it american "white trash" or England's chavs and so on...

It's a fucking stereotype.

NHale

THIS. After Portugal's last win, stupid young fans took a flag and tried to open the little window on the bus' ceiling. Literally taking the pole and just banging on it and acting like baboons. Fucking idiots.

Here when we organized the Euro 2004, a German stabbed a person on the street when they tied against Latvia. It wouldn't be wise to pick that sample size and say Germans are criminals, would it?

Italians being louder than Portuguese is debatable. I do agree that our cultures have some similarities and we can both be hard-headed people so personalities clash easily.

The Brasil flag thing I see a lot. I just find it amusing more than anything.

I know most of the people involved in these type of battles are NOT Portuguese/Italian born. I can tell you that for a fact. They are Canadian kids with Italian/Portuguese parents or grandparents. They do not represent people in Portugal or Italy as much as they like to think they do. Most probably don't speak the language or know much about the culture. These are the most annoying people of the lot. I'll tell you that I am not one of those. I actually speak the language fluently, visit the country, and have citizenship from my Italian born mother (jure sanguinis). And as soon as I graduate and have the money in getting the F out of here and retiring early in the south of Italy.

And why is everyone jumping on the south of Italy? :( damn you all!

IceCold

Exactly, then you agree the "obnoxious loudness" you speak off is not something that you can tie down to italians per se, unless we're talking about some of South Italy (and some socially problematic parts of Lazio) and such. But then you can find those in every culture, being it american "white trash" or England's chavs and so on...

It's a fucking stereotype.

Well yeah. That's why I added the 3). But you didn't read my entire post.

Italians being louder than Portuguese is debatable. I do agree that our cultures have some similarities and we can both be hard-headed people so personalities clash easily.

The Brasil flag thing I see a lot. I just find it amusing more than anything.

I know most of the people involved in these type of battles are NOT Portuguese/Italian born. I can tell you that for a fact. They are Canadian kids with Italian/Portuguese parents or grandparents. They do not represent people in Portugal or Italy as much as they like to think they do. Most probably don't speak the language or know much about the culture. These are the most annoying people of the lot. I'll tell you that I am not one of those. I actually speak the language fluently, visit the country, and have citizenship from my Italian born mother (jure sanguinis). And as soon as I graduate and have the money in getting the F out of here and retiring early in the south of Italy.

Good stuff. Me too. In reality, Portuguese people and Italians from Europe get along fine. There's no beef at all. The rivalry only exists in Canada/USA I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom