• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
portugal is in an interesting position, if they advance. their first opponent in the knockout phase is going to be tough no matter what, but first or third place in the group would put them on the easier side of the draw, while second place would put them against england in the dead zone.

Our recent history against the Spaniards gives me little reason to be confident. Only 1 win against Spain since 1994, and we've been defeated by them in the last two Euro's.

The only thing I'm confident in is that Spain still has our number. I'd like to be proven wrong about this but I doubt that's happening.
Well, whatever happens, neither Spain nor Italy will stand a chance against Germany. This time we will lift the curse, for sure! :p

It is quite a sight indeed:

euro8ephx.png

Now watch Portugal get second tomorrow.

I have a feeling England won't win this Euro.

Jesus.

Randdalf

My wallchart must be wrong because I've ended up with France in the other half of the bracket
rage.gif

edit: They've actually just structured it weirdly, according to TV schedule rather than actual bracket layout.

FDC1

For 3rd places:

France vs Northern Ireland if Turkey qualify, else vs Group E 3rd
Wales vs Turkey if they qualify, else Northern Ireland
Germany vs Albania if they qualify, Slovakia else
Croatia vs Slovakia if Albania qualify, vs Group F 3rd if they qualify, else vs Group E 3rd

Irminsul

portugal is in an interesting position, if they advance. their first opponent in the knockout phase is going to be tough no matter what, but first or third place in the group would put them on the easier side of the draw, while second place would put them against england in the dead zone.
Group F is quite funny overall. Everyone still can get in second place (if my math is correct), but no one probably wants to.

Pezking

I actually like this scenario as a German: While we have a nice stroll in the park against Albania or Slovakia, Italy and Spain will recreate the Battle of the Bastards.

And we have an additional day off before the quarter final.

Also, we should be able to avoid a suspension due to a second yellow card. Bonucci, Chiellini, Buffon, de Rossi, Eder, Motta are all already booked and will have do give 100% against Spain.

I'd rather face Italy or Spain in the quarters than later in the tournament.

Ideal scenario: Italy beats Spain and has their entire defense suspended for the next match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Two observations:

Firstly, Spain were dirty as fuck in that match and Croatia absolutely and completely deserved the win. I hope Italy send Spain packing.

Secondly, this Euros might have the greatest knockout draw I've seen in any sport.

I actually like this scenario as a German: While we have a nice stroll in the park against Albania or Slovakia, Italy and Spain will recreate the Battle of the Bastards.

And we have an additional day off before the quarter final.

Also, we should be able to avoid a suspension due to a second yellow card. Bonucci, Chiellini, Buffon, de Rossi, Eder, Motta are all already booked and will have do give 100% against Spain.

I'd rather face Italy or Spain in the quarters than later in the tournament.

Ideal scenario: Italy beats Spain and has their entire defense suspended for the next match.

We have the youngest team and Italy has the oldest team of the tournament. I want Italy.

Andrefpvs

Group F is quite funny overall. Everyone still can get in second place (if my math is correct), but no one probably wants to.

This creates a scenario where, depending on how the Austria vs. Iceland match is going, either Portugal or Hungary may benefit from scoring an own goal in order to end 3rd instead of 2nd.

Holy shit.

Edit: Wait, I might have jumped the gun here. Time to do some math.

Edit 2: I found an unlikely, but possible scenario:

> Iceland is beating Austria 3-0. They now have 5 points.
> Hungary is tied with Portugal 0-0. Hungary have 5 points, Portugal have 3. But because Iceland has a better goal difference, Iceland is 1st and Hungary is 2nd. Portugal is 3rd.
> Hungary scores an own goal near the end of the match (or rather, they'd allow Portugal to score easily, of course). Iceland and Portugal both have 5 points, but Iceland has a better goal difference. Iceland is 1st, Portugal is 2nd. Hungary is 3rd with 4 points.
> Iceland and Hungary stay in the underdogs knockout group, Portugal is fucked.

Another scenario:

> Iceland is beating Austria 3-0. They now have 5 points. Austria have 1.
> Portugal is beating Hungary 1-0. Portugal have 5 points, Hungary have 4. But because Iceland has a better goal difference, Iceland is 1st and Portugal is 2nd. Hungary is 3rd.
> Portugal scores an own goal near the end of the match (or rather, they'd allow Portugal to score easily, of course). Iceland and Hungary both have 5 points, but Iceland has a better goal difference. Iceland is 1st, Hungary is 2nd. Portugal is 3rd with 3 points.
> Iceland and Portugal stay in the underdogs knockout group, Hungary is fucked.

Sheesh, lol.

Portugal can still choose between Croatia, Belgium and England.
They're not even qualified yet. If they lose tomorrow and Iceland wins / draws / loses with less goals against, Portugal is out (and rightfully so, as they couldn't score a single friggin' goal against Austria and Iceland).

Spizz

Banned
Apart from 4 years ago, I can't recall Italy ever losing.
2013 Confederations Cup Italy lost on penalties, same with Euro 2008. Besides that final they've been very close. I hate when people bring up that finals as it somehow shows they're leagues apart. They aren't at all IMO.

They're not even qualified yet. If they lose tomorrow and Iceland wins / draws / loses with less goals against, Portugal is out (and rightfully so, as they couldn't score a single friggin' goal against Austria and Iceland).

If Portugal loses they are always out, irrespective of Iceland.

AND where's Iceland?

Result of Iceland doesn't matter. Iceland or Austria will always be a better third than Turkey.

England has been the most impressive team this far in this tournament but their bad luck puts them in that bottom half gauntlet....

Woy is that you

Firemind

2013 Confederations Cup Italy lost on penalties, same with Euro 2008. Besides that final they've been very close. I hate when people bring up that finals as it somehow shows they're leagues apart. They aren't at all IMO.
Yeah the spanish just look like bored twats.

Probably because they already won everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom