• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
So Turkey has gone from unlikely to qualify to will probably qualify?

...lol

Proud of my team for pulling through tonight. Still have some issues like always starting on the back foot for whatever reason.

Always good to get the first goal when you're on the back foot tho. Really puts an abrupt stop to the other teams mojo.

Facism

Gold Member
So Turkey has gone from unlikely to qualify to will probably qualify?

...lol

Proud of my team for pulling through tonight. Still have some issues like always starting on the back foot for whatever reason.

Always good to get the first goal when you're on the back foot tho. Really puts an abrupt stop to the other teams mojo.

Could you imagine if he actually played sahin and just sent inan home?

Maybe we can get semih kaya on and actually have a natural centerback on the pitch?

Kozak

Banned
Could you imagine if he actually played sahin and just sent inan home?

Maybe we can get semih kaya on and actually have a natural centerback on the pitch?

Sending Inan home would be like sending himself home haha. Pretty sure Burak and Selcuk spawned from our Emperor.

Can't deny Burak is a menace up front tho. I imagine the way he is on the pitch correlates with the way he is off the pitch. I would hate to play against someone like Burak.

Oh god no Semih please. He's been terrible for GS.

Maybe terrible for club this season but he's still a great defender and has been on the radar of many big clubs.

Terim's defensive lineup for our games have been shocking. Semih Kaya would have improved it ten-fold.

spwolf

wow that bottom bracket, all the top football nations, as well as England.

bottom bracket looks like that because some of "top" nations ended up being 2nd in their groups. Like Spain and England. Otherwise they would be evenly divided.

As to the Croatia's game, I still cant believe we won with 5 "reserve" players. Aside from Kalinic and somewhat Vrsaljko, we do not have a bench at all... and yet they played really well after initial confusion since defense never played together before, and some players were clearly out of their depth.

Tubie

bottom bracket looks like that because some of "top" nations ended up being 2nd in their groups. Like Spain and England. Otherwise they would be evenly divided.

As to the Croatia's game, I still cant believe we won with 5 "reserve" players. Aside from Kalinic and somewhat Vrsaljko, we do not have a bench at all... and yet they played really well after initial confusion since defense never played together before, and some players were clearly out of their depth.

Croatia is definitely the biggest surprise of the tournament after Wales.

I already held Croatia in high regard before this began, but them beating Spain with a bunch of reserves and no Modric was huge, especially the way they did it.

kharma45

image.jpg

Well done lads!

I dread going to work this morning. I do not feel well.

nelchaar

this tournament has already been a joke the moment they decided that only a couple of groups winner will get to fight against 3rd place teams,instead of using some meritocracy and putting,i don't know,the best 1st place teams against the best 3rd place teams..such bullshit...

Seriously, why not let two more 3rd placed teams make it through and give a bye-round for the best placed first placed team? I don't see how it's fair Italy gets the shaft.

tomtom94

I don't think the statement "England have played well" is particularly controversial. Compared to how we looked under Capello the current England team look like world-beaters.

It's just that rather like Newcastle last season they can't fucking score.

They won't make it past the quarters now anyway...

Number45

Germany, Italy, Spain, France, England and possibly Portugal if they finish 2nd will all be on the same side of the bracket. That can lead to a mental road to the final for one of them.
If the winner comes from the bottom half of the draw, nobody will be able to say they don't deserve it!

I don't think the statement "England have played well" is particularly controversial. Compared to how we looked under Capello the current England team look like world-beaters.

It's just that rather like Newcastle last season they can't fucking score.

They won't make it past the quarters now anyway...
Rumours are pegging semis for what The FA deems a good performance, so it'll be interesting to see if they give Roy his new contract if they go out early because of the draw. Personally I want him gone (he's pretty much the reason I don't actively support England right now), but I dread to think who they'd replace him with.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Except for Poland-Switzerland, I think all (possible) play-off games have great potential.

I would love to see England playing against Iceland, only for all the complains when England can't score once again. Park the bus, don't park the bus! Or maybe it will be even better if they get an attacking team, like Portugal like they asked.

Except for Poland-Switzerland, I think all (possible) play-off games have great potential.

I would love to see England playing against Island, only for all the complains when England can't score once again. Park the bus, don't park the bus! Or maybe it will be even better if they get an attacking team, like Portugal like they asked.

You seem obsessed with England. What's the problem?

Why do you keep calling them Island by the way? Are they only referred to as Iceland in Britain? Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

tomtom94

Rumours are pegging semis for what The FA deems a good performance, so it'll be interesting to see if they give Roy his new contract if they go out early because of the draw. Personally I want him gone (he's pretty much the reason I don't actively support England right now), but I dread to think who they'd replace him with.

They've outright said as much, it's not a rumour. I personally like Hodgson, and think that if England can't do well with the only manager with international experience (and who managed to take Switzerland up the world rankings) then they never will... but I have to admit that while in 2014 I felt he was let down more by the players than his selection, he's not exactly excelled himself here, and the decision to play for the 1-0 against Russia in particular will haunt him.

I still think the bigger issue is that England always enter every tournament with the expectation of winning it when they're nowhere near good enough and thus put themselves under unnecessary pressure when I'd rather they take a lesson from the women's team (or Wales) and treat it as "we will see how far we can get, might as well enjoy it".

The bigger problem is who on earth would take over at this point? Especially since Dyke is saying you need to have a Premier League manager. Fucking Pardew?!

Lego Boss

This third place shite is annoying.

I'd settle for third place now (England).

I know though, it's pretty bad as it has lead to some pretty dank games.

Everyone gets annoyed at the 'salty' England fans, but France and Germany have both suffered from parking the bus.

Only when teams have a n open committment to attack (CRO v SPA) do we see a decent game. It encourages defensive football (not exciting counter like Leicester City) and as seen in so many times in the past, it CAN work if you execute the game plan (Greece).

This is a new era for football where possesion is not king.

Sorry Spain! (and Germany and France and Italy, the only reason I'm not putting England in there is becasue they don't win anything!)

Lego Boss

They've outright said as much, it's not a rumour. I personally like Hodgson, and think that if England can't do well with the only manager with international experience (and who managed to take Switzerland up the world rankings) then they never will... but I have to admit that while in 2014 I felt he was let down more by the players than his selection, he's not exactly excelled himself here, and the decision to play for the 1-0 against Russia in particular will haunt him.

I still think the bigger issue is that England always enter every tournament with the expectation of winning it when they're nowhere near good enough and thus put themselves under unnecessary pressure when I'd rather they take a lesson from the women's team (or Wales) and treat it as "we will see how far we can get, might as well enjoy it".

The bigger problem is who on earth would take over at this point? Especially since Dyke is saying you need to have a Premier League manager. Fucking Pardew?!

Not sure if I agree with the expectation levels. I think the 2010 and 2014 team was dire. This is a team playing well in all areas and loks like it could be a threat on its day. That's why the negativity surrounding the team is surprising to me.

In spite of that I don't recall anyonee from the England set-up saying they could win it (I might be wroing of course). I DO recall Wales saying it though and I guess they are actually in a better position right now.

If Hodgson fails I'll be disappointed. As you rightly say, we don't have an alternative (Bredan Rogers would have been a good pick) and he has really put together a young and exciting squad (not team) which I hope can do well.

I really believe that England will demonstrate just how good they are soon (hopefully at this tournament) as this is easily the best side I can remember since we beat ARG 3-2 in the friendly in Switzerland.

venomenon

I'll be on a hiking/geocaching trip in Scania when (probably) Germany is facing ESP/ITA in the qf. Does anyone know if public broadcasts of non-Swedish games are common there? Moriska Paviljongen in Malmö looks like a nice place to watch football at.

I still hope Sweden qualifies of course, but there's not much hope...

Lego Boss

I'll be on a hiking/geocaching trip in Scania when (probably) Germany is facing ESP/ITA in the qf. Does anyone know if public broadcasts of non-Swedish games are common there? Moriska Paviljongen in Malmö looks like a nice place to watch football at.

I still hope Sweden qualifies of course, but there's not much hope...

Weirdly I remember being in a bar in Gothenburg when England played Germany in 2001 (5-1). Sweden were playing at the same time and more Swedes were watching GER v ENG, so I think you should be fine!

Number45

This is compounded by the fact that it's not just us that see us as one of the best teams - we get the same treatment as the other top teams when we play "lesser" sides, but of course we're often not actually good enough to get over the hurdle.

Ugh, they've actually said they need a PL manager? Still, Pardew on the touchlines in international football is something that I would like to see. :p

Hands off of Bilic, Dyke!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You seem obsessed with England. What's the problem?

England is still a hot topic. I think it was mentioned also in other posts in the last 2 pages. Last week one would have said I have something against Spain. Don't worry, I will move on soon.

Why do you keep calling them Island by the way? Are they only referred to as Iceland in Britain? Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Damn, I missed that. I'm a Romanian living in Austria and both languages spell it like that. On top of that I've been in France over the weekend and watching French news, so I guess is deep imprinted in my brain now.

So when Sweden wins today and advance to the play off and later wins the cup, who will eat crow?

No one? Huh.

I think Zlatan has booked already his holiday, so who will raise the cup?

Ronaldo vs CMTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjzBfSinO6c

Love the mic sound in the air.

For context: this is like the cancer of news reporting in portugal, both in television and newspaper form. Ronaldo has had feuds with this newsgroup before, even in court.

I'm not sure if this "walk" was supposed to be offlimits to press or not.

What's more important than that little "feud". Just look how Ronaldo walks here. Guy looks absolutely unfit to play without medication. You don't move like that unless you're in pain.

DerZuhälter;207982601 said:
What's more important than that little "feud". Just look how Ronaldo walks here. Guy looks absolutely unfit to play without medication. You don't move like that unless you're in pain.

Absolutely. The way he walks is worrying.

airjoca

DerZuhälter;207982601 said:

Damn, you're right. That's a very unnatural walk indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom