• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agalloch

Italy is quite organized and has a good defense , but in the other departments missing something, impossible to beat Spain, Germany , France to reach the final lol.
Plus don't know why but after all that time if Germany beat us i don't even get so angry...maybe!

They dominated every match but were highly unlucky when it came to scoring. Something like that tends to even out statistically speaking even though a tournament is a small sample size.

Don't bother. It's hip and cool supposedly to constantly trash England as if they've lost every game.

Anyways, very happy Nothern Island made it through. Thats a first isn't it?

Come on, Both teams we watched tonight alone have been more impressive than England

Still doesn't justify the constant trashing as if they've lost every game.

watch Portugal use their ugly ass away kits tomorow.
1098-cristiano-ronaldo-wearing-portugal-new-green-jersey-for-the-euro-2016-1464877703-800.jpg

Nike is full of crap this year, freakin' teal? WTF?
BARF!

Portugal's away colors should be White and Blue! (Portugal's real colors) always
football_shirt_6913_1_354x500x1.jpg

A lot of pessimism about the Italy vs Spain match. If Spain dont fix up their defence i can easily see Italy slipping in 1 and parking the bus to win. Besides , Italy probably think they have a lot to prove after the 2012 Euro result so they'll be coming in hard.

Arnie7

Banned
Fucking hell, did England not supply Hodgson with a wall chart? Could have been guaranteed final on the other side of the draw. Wales have it now.

Lego Boss

They dominated every match but were highly unlucky when it came to scoring. Something like that tends to even out statistically speaking even though a tournament is a small sample size.

I'm with you. Best l've seen England play since the golden generation.

Eric Sure is easily one of the best midfielders in Europe (and therefore it is easy to see that he developed abroad and not in England!)

Fucking hell, did England not supply Hodgson with a wall chart? Could have been guaranteed final on the other side of the draw. Wales have it now.

Pretty much lol, no way England make it through that lot. Oh well, there's always next time.

If we somehow do the final would be the easiest match lol.

Meh. It's not like the other groups are stacked in terms of quality.

True, but than, no big team really had to prove them self yet, except maybe Spain today, bit like I said before I think Spain underestimated croatia today. So stats from the group games get pretty revelevant.
But you can see potential, even the actual performance isn't all that high. Spain has a lot of potential and I don't think england has it. Yeah of course you can't really measure this but I trust my gut on this.

Such a conversion of chances isn't the result of just "bad luck", they simply lack the skill to score. And the incapability to wrap up 3 points against a bunch of Russian veteran stars far past their prime doesn't scream "impressive" to me.

Shame that we are playing Italy so soon. I enjoy and respect their team a lot. If we lose I will still root for them.

It's almost impossible for us to win the euro now, although no candidate has been good to date either.

kottila

Wales playing Northern Ireland in the final 16 of a football tournament shouldn't be possible outside of the Commonwealth games

Majukun

this tournament has already been a joke the moment they decided that only a couple of groups winner will get to fight against 3rd place teams,instead of using some meritocracy and putting,i don't know,the best 1st place teams against the best 3rd place teams..such bullshit...

Mestizo

Germany has never won against Italy in a tournament...

Well, also Italy has never won against Spain in a tournament since 90s...
Maybe in this Euro the curses will be broken and Italy will beat Spain and then they will lose to Germany. It would be amazing XD

this tournament has already been a joke the moment they decided that only a couple of groups winner will get to fight against 3rd place teams,instead of using some meritocracy and putting,i don't know,the best 1st place teams against the best 3rd place teams..such bullshit...

The "I don't know" factor is the most interesting to be honest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think we're going to have some great play-offs. And the Croatia-Wales/Belgium and Italy-France/Portugal semifinals will be great too. Can't wait to see this.

Croatia - Spain was maybe the best match at this Euro so far, but I think Italy will have a field day against Spanish defence and keeper.

Last night in France. Followed my wee Norn Iron from Nice to Lyon to Paris. Incredibly proud of the team, the manager, the staff and the fans.

Home tomorrow, but let's keep dreaming for a little while yet.

Bakkus

Guys Portugal will 95% surely NOT finish second to meet England and here's why. There are only two ways that could happen:

1. They win against Hungary and Iceland wins against Austria with an equal or bigger goal win than Portugal beats Hungary with.

2. They draw against Hungary and Iceland draw against Austria. However Portugal needs to draw with more goals scored than the Iceland draw. For example if Iceland draws 0-0 or 1-1, Portugal needs to draw retrospectively 1-1 on 0-0, or 2-2 on 1-1

Now you might think the first is a possibility, but come on. Iceland winning with more goals against Austria than Portugal wins against Hungary?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Guys Portugal will 95% surely NOT finish second to meet England and here's why. There are only two ways that could happen:

1. They win against Hungary and Iceland wins against Austria with an equal or bigger goal win than Portugal beats Hungary with.

2. They draw against Hungary and Iceland draw against Austria. However Portugal needs to draw with more goals scored than the Iceland draw. For example if Iceland draws 0-0 or 1-1, Portugal needs to draw retrospectively 1-1 on 0-0, or 2-2 on 1-1

Now you might think the first is a possibility, but come on. Iceland winning with more goals against Austria than Portugal wins against Hungary?

maybe not more, but equal is definitely possible. if iceland wins 1-0 and portugal wins 2-1 it's certainly possible.

however, if i was on team portugal and up 2-1 at the end, i would consider scoring an own goal.

jts

...hate me...
however, if i was on team portugal and up 2-1 at the end, i would consider scoring an own goal.
Depending on Austria’s result of course. I think Austria can get a result against Iceland. And in that case Portugal "just" needs to win to guarantee 1st.

1st gets Portugal Belgium (or, with very few chances, Sweden or Ireland).

3rd gets Portugal Croatia.

Think 1st would be much better for Portugal. Croatia look hot.

Frustrating to see the bracket so unbalanced.

But can't really blame the format though. Too many of the top teams have played inconsistent. Look brilliant one match and then total mediocrity the next.

I can't believe how imbalanced the tournament is haha.

If Turkey beat Wales I could see us beating Portugal or Belgium and then we'd end up playing Croatia again I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom