• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Was Rashford even on the bench? I skipped the pre-match and then went to make a coffee at half time. He could even probably have done okay on the left for Sterling. Even although he's better on the right wing.

TM94

Sick of the weak English mentality.

Russia are pub standard, absolutely appalling side.

Should have steamrollered them, but no we tried to hold onto a 1-0 lead, pathetic and a disgrace.

No positives to take from this game at all.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Had a great year.

Absolutely.

Well, given I'm backing both Wales and England and they're in the same group and it is highly unlikely both will be out, at least I'll have one team to support in the knockouts.

Unconfirmed Member
Rooney in midfield is fine for teams who don't have the energy or players to sustain pressing . With time and space he can do well.

But as all United fans know against the top team who will be able to press, he falls to pieces. It's like playing with 10 men.

sora87

The crowds that go to World/Euro Cup stadiums are usually quite different from your usual league game. And most of the time it's much nicer to watch such an international game than a league game. And we've seen lots of footage of small children in the crowd :(

Really wonder if the French tried hard enough to get a list of known hooligans to ward off from getting a ticket :(

Seems like they've done a whole lot of nothing to prevent the violence to be honest.

Bo-Locks

Wilshere and Milner

Wilshere

and

James

fucking

Milner

get fucked, Roy.

The BBC and ITV have been gushing over the impact and foresight of the substitutions from Deschamps and Coleman, so they should be completely savaging Hodgson for taking off Rooney (I'm not his biggest fan but he had a good game and was controlling things well) and putting on Milner. What the fuck was the point?

Feorax

Is this the time Roy finally gets found out?

From his time managing us, it was obvious this moment would come eventually. I'm impressed he's managed to blag it for as long as he has.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Did anyone else hear an explosion-like sound in the last 10 minutes of the #ENGRUS game? Sounded scary as hell, but turned up to be some artificial interference on the feed or something?

Audioboxer

How do the English view Roy? I've never really like him and I'm not just saying that because I'm Scottish.

He's just... boring?

Rellik

The crowds that go to World/Euro Cup stadiums are usually quite different from your usual league game. And most of the time it's much nicer to watch such an international game than a league game. And we've seen lots of footage of small children in the crowd :(

Really wonder if the French tried hard enough to get a list of known hooligans to ward off from getting a ticket :(

You're right, but have you seen Russian league games? Their ultras don';t just show up on international tournaments. They're all over Russia domestically.

Out of Rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Rashford, Kane should be the last one off the bench. He's been in poor form for a while now and doesn't offer enough when he's not scoring.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Did anyone else hear an explosion-like sound in the last 10 minutes of the #ENGRUS game? Sounded scary as hell, but turned up to be some artificial interference on the feed or something?

There were some flares before that, and then the fireworks bomb. And then the rioting.

Wanchan

The visa suspension of known violent hooligan is done by the country where they came from, so in this case Russia/England, it's not the host country job to filter that. If you're going to blame someone, blame those countries.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I've slated the English hooligans in this thread, it has to be said that the Russian thugs are really going above and beyond with their despicable behaviour.

sora87

I think the problem with terrorists is undermining police ability to maintain order, should have called in the army or better still Foreign Legion.

You're right. They definitely need to bring in more figures of authority and crack down hard on anything happening. Zero tolerance, arrests, prove a point.

Is this the time Roy finally gets found out?

From his time managing us, it was obvious this moment would come eventually. I'm impressed he's managed to blag it for as long as he has.

Nah he never seems to get blamed like other England managers. Living off taking fulham to an Uefa cup final.

Cappa

Banned
It was a flare... Typical in eastern Europe to use (it's banned in most of the world)

Feorax

Out of Rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Rashford, Kane should be the last one off the bench. He's been in poor form for a while now and doesn't offer enough when he's not scoring.

I agree, but he suits Roy because he's comfortable playing on his own up top, whereas none of the others are really.

Unfortunately, if he's as shit as he was tonight, everything falls apart upfront.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh fireworks, loool, Jesus I dropped everything and stood still when I heard it.

I keep seeing random twitter junk about shit like "the English threw flares at the Russians first", and "It's because the English booed during the Russian Anthem".

Irminsul

You're right. They definitely need to bring in more figures of authority and crack down hard on anything happening. Zero tolerance, arrests, prove a point.
I think the UEFA is at least partly to blame here. They don't want police in the stadium because it looks bad, so everything you get are underpaid "securities" who for good reason can't be arsed to stand against several thugs.

Hopefully that will change for Russia's next game. French police usually isn't squeamish...

Audioboxer

All the tactical nous of stunned duck.

His sub decisions tonight were total shite. England should have been pushing furiously for the second. That Russian defence was asking to be taken to the sword all game.

You asked the question at the wrong time, to be fair. If England had got the win tonight you'd have got more reasonable reactions.

Possibly but any time I see him he lacks any charisma.

Unconfirmed Member
How do the English view Roy? I've never really like him and I'm not just saying that because I'm Scottish.

He's just... boring?
He has done a decent job in fairness, after the 2010 world cup it was difficult to see who would replace the last generation of players but now England have one of the youngest squads in the tournament and are capable play good football.

There aren't that many great English managers around. Managers like Eddie Howe were not ready when Roy Hodgson was hired.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You asked the question at the wrong time, to be fair. If England had got the win tonight you'd have got more reasonable reactions.

I don't think so. People have disliked Roy for some time, I can go back from before this match and find you a tonne of discontent.

Syder

We were so similar to the French tonight. No identity whatsoever. Are we wide or narrow? Do we play short or long? Are our fullbacks attacking or defensive? Is Kane a deep-lying centre forward or a wide targetman? Why is Kane taking set-pieces? Why isn't Delle Alli doing any running? Why Sterling and Lallana getting near the starting line-up? Why, why, why, Roy?

Where are these so called 'positives' every pundit and player is waffling on about? We couldn't score in open play against a seriously weakened Russia team. Yes, Rooney wasn't 'bad' but his style is so negative, even Wilshere knows how to play the simple passes instead of playing these ridiculous wide passes into useless players like Sterling. He should be a sub when we're 2-0 up.

If Rooney HAS to play we can still put out a good side.
england-xi-e959d5e68f032526ad7253f1a18a7492.jpg
Roy won't do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom