• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobaka770

Banned
Watch the videos people are putting online. Read the reports from fans, from neutrals. It's been Russian ultras attacking and provoking England fans all day. It was Russian fans running at women and children at the final whistle.

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/741736287737122817
https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/741735332887027712
https://twitter.com/Adam_Seeley/status/741734399104929792

Stop ignoring what's right in front of you.

Ummm... I can maybe see a dozen or so nitwits on the last vid? The first one is just people leaving the stadium. Maybe I'm just tired. I think it would be best to wait until news reports tomorrow, blurry twitter vids are the worst.

Rellik

I think UEFA wants no police inside the stadium. Maybe that changes now for Russia's next games.

It needs to change for ALL games. It's not just Russia and England with fan problems. You've got matches like Croatia vs. Turkey and Poland vs. Ukraine.

Cappa

Banned
Women and children were in the stands where the Russians charged. We have reports of people trying to throw children over barriers to keep them away from ultras.

Keep laughing about it. Russian fans are fucking disgusting.

https://twitter.com/WAFCNathan/status/741746638159515648

Hooliganism in football is disgusting.

Throwing flares in an opposing teams cheering section is disgusting.

Poor security in a European championship tournament is disgusting.

Chasing after fans is disgusting.

I agree with you. Now stop excusing English fans.

Liamc723

Ummm... I can maybe see a dozen or so nitwits on the last vid? The first one is just people leaving the stadium. Maybe I'm just tired. I think it would be best to wait until news reports tomorrow, blurry twitter vids are the worst.

Crowds do not single handedly all move to one side of the stand when they're leaving the stadium.

I think UEFA wants no police inside the stadium. Maybe that changes now for Russia's next games.

That's crazy, don't they have special matches qualified as High-risk matches?

Hell when there's a city derby in my country, the gendarmerie is all over the stadium and shit still happens, can't even imagine what it would look like without the cops all over the place.

Hell when there's a city derby in my country, the gendarmerie is all over the stadium and shit still happens, can't even imagine what it would look like without the cops all over the place.

England - Russia was marked as high-risk.

The other are Turkey - Croatia, Poland - Germany, England - Wales and Poland - Ukraine

england finding new ways to frustate, that's progress I guess.

a shit overall performance would have been less disappointing, as that usually happens. why sit back and invite pressure and not take off the clearly knackered centre forward and bring on a premier league winner who rinses defenders when they're fresh, never mind in the 70th or 80th minute. and what do they see in sterling that us plebs don't? he's been ineffectual for months now, he should have been off way earlier.

better subs and they would've been caught on the counter, england would have comfortably won 2-0 and finally won anopening game at the euros, and the group would have looked a lot more comfortable. But no. Now we're against the Welsh who'll be chomping at the bit, even more so with a win all but ensuring they win the group.

fuck sake.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Yeah there are high-risk matches, but those are usually in local leagues, derbies between longtime rivals. Not international matches! Although I guess you do have some, like that Serbia-Albania match recently.

Nodnol

Team selection was fine, England lack proper wingers in their squad, and Roy started the two players most suited to those roles. The system was working; the first half was the best I've seen England play in a competitive game for a long time.

Opening games in tournament football are always iffy. I was never expecting a high scoring game.

Where it went wrong, is Roy's game management and specifically his subs. Sterling should have been off shortly after the restart, and Kane should have been looked at too. Rooney should not have been subbed also. The players he introduced weren't the problem, but rather who they were replacing and at what stage the game was at. Vardy should have been introduced the second England were 1-0 up, because his pace would stop Russia from over-committing in fear of a counter attack.

Alli, Rooney, Lallana and Dier can all go in the positive column though. England have to win the Wales game though, because tournament football is all about momentum and belief.

As for the scenes at the final whistle; deplorable. Disgusting. It's one thing, to have drunken yobs fighting each other outside the stadium (and even then in the case of today, the Russian and Marseille fan attacks were far too orchestrated to just be drunks throwing punches), but to have fans break segregation and rush rival fans, including women, children and genuine football fans, is vile.

What's more appalling, is UEFA's lack of control, foresight, policing and stewarding of the crowd. After the last three days, you'd expect security to be at its highest to help control situations like this, and to prevent it from happening by having a strong steward/police presence in enforcing the segregation.

I'd be amazed though, if scenes like this will be repeated elsewhere throughout France.

Syder

Kicking teams out of the competition won't make these people go home. The only place for them is a prison cell. Appropriate policing is the only way forward.

Cob32

Now how soon will this investigation be resolved should be the question. They need to do something harsh. Whether that be empty stadium, docking points, or sending team home
They need to send a message

Yep your right but I foresee just a fine for both FA.

Now reports of Northern Ireland fans and Polish fans fighting, not unexpected especially from the History of Polish football hooliganism. I think it's time this tournament was stopped, because with all this going on the security threats from terrorism is growing by the minute.

Daily Mail, so pinch of salt, but two fans are fighting for their lives apparently
For some context, given the events inside after the game, Sky News are claiming this is from before the game, with the clashes between fans and police. Not from the events in the stadium.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Who made Russian and English fans populate the same stand in the first place? That's the real news here.

It's quite common in previous international tournaments to see fans of opposing teams sitting together though. Especially in the public section not reserved for fans of a certain team. You usually don't expect the hooligans to travel to these tournaments :(

It needs to change for ALL games. It's not just Russia and England with fan problems. You've got matches like Croatia vs. Turkey and Poland vs. Ukraine.

I couldn't say about Poland/Ukraine but I wouldn't expect much trouble for Croatia/Turkey. The biggest you can expect at that game is an offensive chant here and there and a flare or two someone snuck up his ass. If even that, considering the security. There is no national tention between these two. If anything, their "animosity" is purely a sports rivalry due to the drama that was Euro 2008 and the 2011 qualifier.

But hey, idiots have been rampant in the Euro so far. Wouldn't be surprised if the Austria-Hungary game restored the Habsburgs at this point.

Mimosa97

The French police has been nearly non-existent

They're all like "This is for Napoleon you bastards, both of you"

Where the hell is the gendarmerie.

Go to hell.

It's always our fault isn't it. A bunch of english hooligans and Russian ultras sack one of our cities but somehow it's the french who are to blame.

Don't you realize that our police is overwhelmed right now and we're doing our best. Between terrorism, the massive strikes, the Euro etc...

Instead of looking at your own fans you're trying to deflect the blame. Absolutely disgusting. The anti-french hate runs really deep on Gaf. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Irminsul

The Russians broke through the barriers that seperated the fans. There's nothing more that can really be done to seperate them, unless they have a wall of police.
"Barriers"

It was a single line of probably underpaid security guards. No surprise something like that is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom