• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.
sanctioning both teams will be kind of useless since the new Group format allow the top 3 in Group to advance. Way to go UEFA

Something needs to be done regardless

Liamc723

Go to hell.

It's always our fault isn't it. A bunch of english hooligans and Russian ultras sack one of our cities but somehow it's the french who are to blame.

Don't you realize that our police is overwhelmed right now and we're doing our best. Between terrorism, the massive strikes, the Euro etc...

Instead of looking at your own fans you're trying to deflect the blame. Absolutely disgusting. The anti-french hate runs really deep on Gaf. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

The English and Russian fans have been bad, but the lack of French police has been a joke.

Nowhere near as much trouble would have happened with a bigger police presence.

Nevasleep

Just saw an England fan getting sprayed by police while literally just talking to them.
I think I saw the same, and thought it was slightly harsh but expected.
If you're a large guy with your top off, best not to stand in front of riot police, and not move away.

I couldn't say about Poland/Ukraine but I wouldn't expect much trouble for Croatia/Turkey. The biggest you can expect at that game is an offensive chant here and there and a flare or two someone snuck up his ass. If even that, considering the security. There is no national tention between these two. If anything, their "animosity" is purely a sports rivalry due to the drama that was Euro 2008 and the 2011 qualifier.

But hey, idiots have been rampant in the Euro so far. Wouldn't be surprised if the Austria-Hungary game restored the Habsburgs at this point.

To be fair I'm surprised noone has mentioned England v Wales as a potential flashpoint, it does have history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16281868

Mimosa97

English fans dressed as Crusaders, in a city with a high North African / Middle Eastern populace.

Yeah, you show 'em.

There are almost no middle-easterns in France except a small lebanese community. It's all north africans in Marseille. What's your point though ? They weren't involved in this. It was all english hooligans vs russian ultras.

There were a few locals fighting yesterday but who knows their ethnicity. Olympique de marseille Ultras are mostly white.

Go to hell.

It's always our fault isn't it. A bunch of english hooligans and Russian ultras sack one of our cities but somehow it's the french who are to blame.

Don't you realize that our police is overwhelmed right now and we're doing our best. Between terrorism, the massive strikes, the Euro etc...

Instead of looking at your own fans you're trying to deflect the blame. Absolutely disgusting. The anti-french hate runs really deep on Gaf. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

What?

My own fans? My country isn't even on the Euro

It's not that I blame the French completely, but if you take it upon yourself to host the tournament then the burden of maintaining safety during the tournament is mostly on your police force.

If it makes you feel better, I do blame the UEFA and FIFA more for always being milquetoast about the hooligan issues and the stupid no police on the stands policy.

Go to hell.

Wow, someone is pissed.

Calm yourself. No need to tell the poster to go to hell.

It was poorly policed. Simple fact.

Yes it was begun due to Russian nut cases, but there was a distinct lack of security to mitigate the risk in the first place and then once it did break out, handle it quickly.

It's quite common in previous international tournaments to see fans of opposing teams sitting together though. Especially in the public section not reserved for fans of a certain team. You usually don't expect the hooligans to travel to these tournaments :(

Public sections are certainly not behind the goals. The English fans within the Russian stands were simply not supposed to be there.

Sorry for the ignorance but I have to ask, why do people keep speaking of Marseilles as though there's something wrong with it? Like, 'not holding games in Marseilles' or 'in Marseilles of all places'.

Dock both us and Russia 3 points

Lucky i am not running FIFA i would be going to war with Putin, I would dock both teams the 1 point they earn, on the next incident I would call FIFA board to strip Russia of the World Cup, and Ban England from the next cup..I would tell Putin to get a handle on his citizen, same goes for England, and if there was more violence after my rulings, I would next ban Russia or England from next 3 World Cups and if it continue the ban would go as much as 100 years..this kinda of behavior is unacceptable..

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the ignorance but I have to ask, why do people keep speaking of Marseilles as though there's something wrong with it? Like, 'not holding games in Marseilles' or 'in Marseilles of all places'.
Marseille Ultras

There have been some reports that they initially provoked English fans this weekend.

azyless

Marseille has a high criminality and violence rate. Plus the OM Ultras aren't the brightest.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Supposedly Polish and N-Irish fans were drinking together and a Polish fan got stabbed by a Nice Ultra (or North Arican gang depending on which tweet you read). So at least it doesn't seem like there being animosity between the Northern Irish and the Polish.

Oriel

English fans dressed as Crusaders, in a city with a high North African / Middle Eastern populace.

Yeah, you show 'em.

giphy.gif

They're in France, not North Africa.

I think the lack of violence is mostly because the recent championships have been in countries that isn't exactly easy to travel to for the Europeans. South Africa, Poland/Ukraine and Brazil. France is more managable I suppose

What if they just play all of the games without fans in attendance?
Then you will have even more brawls on the street.

The fans/idiots are already there.

If we rewind 4 years to the previous tournament Russia was handed a suspended six-point deduction for the actions of their fans around their opening match.

They were then fined for their actions during the next match.

And fined once more for their actions, again fireworks thrown at opposing fans etc during the next match after that.

I think the lack of violence is mostly because the recent championships have been in countries that isn't exactly easy to travel to for the Europeans. South Africa, Poland/Ukraine and Brazil. France is more managable I suppose

How are Poland and the Ukraine (pre-crisis) not easy to travel?

Oriel

Really just a taste of what everybody is in for come the world cup. Shit is going to be fucking mental. Worst idea ever.

I'm actually kind of hoping we (Ireland) fail to qualify for 2018....again. But really, I have no desire to see fellow fans getting the shit beaten out of them by Russian ultra's with police standing by watching.

I'm actually kind of hoping we (Ireland) fail to qualify for 2018....again. But really, I have no desire to see fellow fans getting the shit beaten out of them by Russian ultra's with police standing by watching.

I doubt Putin will allow any trouble, it would be a huge negative for him in Russia if the World cup was spoiled. The hooligans will be rounded up and told if they misbehave it will be Siberia for them, of that I'm certain, I expect a smooth trouble free operation and glowing pride from Putin.

Weckum

Central and Eastern European ultras are absolutely mental. They're insane.

But then again, so is the Russian riot police so it might not be too bad.

Also, can you imagine when these groups of hooligans go to the 2022 world cup in Qatar? That country has never seen anything like this before. Not just the hooligans, but even the large groups of drunk people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom